Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU's coach close to being hired at Baylor.

Started by Karma, December 05, 2016, 09:41:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

After his comments about the Red Wolves' upcoming bowl game, they might welcome it over in Jonesboro.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2016, 09:51:33 pm
After his comments about the Red Wolves' upcoming bowl game, they might welcome it over in Jonesboro.

Most of the fans I know won't shed a tear, and they can use the $2M buyout. The want the OC fired if he stays, and the OL coach.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Karma on December 05, 2016, 09:49:33 pm
Not every day a coach from an Arkansas school gets hired in the big 12.
True. They usually get hired by the SEC. :)

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 05, 2016, 09:55:57 pm
True. They usually get hired by the SEC. :)
True. If this happens their last 4 coaches would go Auburn, Ole Miss, Boise and Baylor.

TrueBlue

Major Applewhite to ASU?

Or finally give Coach Kelley a shot!

hamsam

What did he say?
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

hawganatic

ASU has become a good stepping stone program for good coaches. 

Not a ASU fan but do like seeing anything with the work Arkansas attached to it do well.  Hopefully they can bring in somebody to keep their program going, that will be gone in 2-3 years...

hobhog

Hope he gets a good contract cause Baylor is dead for a while.....

hobhog

?

onebadrubi

Quote from: hobhog on December 05, 2016, 10:05:24 pm

Yeah like an 8 year huge buyout. The next coach there will be banging his head against a wall for sometime. They should get a Texas guy though to try and attract local talent ASAP.

King Kong

Quote from: hobhog on December 05, 2016, 10:05:24 pm

Yep, they currently have 1 commit and lost every good player from their previous class.

I will take a awhile even for a good coach to get make that good situation

WilsonHog

Quote from: hamsam on December 05, 2016, 10:00:54 pm
What did he say?

"We're going to have a good time. Wherever they send us, we're going to make the best of it. We'd love to get a win, but mainly what I want to do is celebrate this group of guys, what they've been able to accomplish."

King Kong

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2016, 10:10:56 pm
"We're going to have a good time. Wherever they send us, we're going to make the best of it. We'd love to get a win, but mainly what I want to do is celebrate this group of guys, what they've been able to accomplish."

That's perfectly acceptable for ASU

Hawghiggs

Calling All Hogs

I remember when ASU hired Ray Perkins after he coached at Bama. They have had some interesting picks for sure.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

bvillepig

McKdaddy

Not buying that Gundy might go there, even though an OSU beat reporter is stating he met w/ them.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Karma on December 05, 2016, 09:57:14 pm
True. If this happens their last 4 coaches would go Auburn, Ole Miss, Boise and Baylor.

Apparently ASU athletic director is doing a knock down job.  Does he want to come to Arkansas as a Assistant AD and help Long. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: McKdaddy on December 05, 2016, 11:06:26 pm
Not buying that Gundy might go there, even though an OSU beat reporter is stating he met w/ them.

He has met with ever AD at every job opening that would
Meet with him the last 6 years or so. Remember it was leaked he was Longs lead candidate? 

longpig

Quote from: hawganatic on December 05, 2016, 10:01:38 pm
ASU has become a good stepping stone program for good coaches. 

Not a ASU fan but do like seeing anything with the work Arkansas attached to it do well.  Hopefully they can bring in somebody to keep their program going, that will be gone in 2-3 years...

How do they do it?  Is the AD simply that good at evaluating coaches? 
Don't be scared, be smart.

OKC

Quote from: McKdaddy on December 05, 2016, 11:06:26 pm
Not buying it either, but it seems to be getting more traction...I kind of hope Boone Pickens calls his bluff and Gundy ships out. Get him further away from Tulsa Union and Jenks. In the end, I think Gundy's agent is just stirring the pot for a bigger payday down the road.

HogHolio

Quote from: longpig on December 06, 2016, 05:31:03 am
How do they do it?  Is the AD simply that good at evaluating coaches?

I think it has more to do with Arkansas being an undervalued recruiting state.  There are a lot more kids with the talent to play in the state than people realize, it's just rarely developed by the time they are seniors.

Small schools don't have the resources or coaching to develop these kids.  they come into ASU raw get 5 years of coaching and contribute their last 2.  They have a constant stream of better than expected talent and it makes the coaches look good. They then get better jobs and then us keeps rolling. At least that's my theory.

Quote from: HogHolio on December 06, 2016, 07:56:28 am
I think it has more to do with Arkansas being an undervalued recruiting state.  There are a lot more kids with the talent to play in the state than people realize, it's just rarely developed by the time they are seniors.

Small schools don't have the resources or coaching to develop these kids.  they come into ASU raw get 5 years of coaching and contribute their last 2.  They have a constant stream of better than expected talent and it makes the coaches look good. They then get better jobs and then us keeps rolling. At least that's my theory.
I like that theory.

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on December 06, 2016, 08:12:31 am
I like that theory.

Too bad it's full of fallacies, lol. ASU has 35 players from the state of Arkansas, while Arkansas has 47. ASU has numerous JUCO and transfer players, so they didn't sit 3 years at ASU to contribute the last two, lol. What they have is the best talent in the Sun Belt conference, Anderson's 3-11 OOC record, with two of those being FCS schools, shows it isn't as good.

McKdaddy

Quote from: OKC on December 06, 2016, 06:34:41 am
In the end, I think Gundy's agent is just stirring the pot for a bigger payday down the road.

Maybe so. He and osu agreed to an extension in June '16, but according to this beat guy it remains unsigned.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HogHolio

Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2016, 08:18:25 am
Too bad it's full of fallacies, lol. ASU has 35 players from the state of Arkansas, while Arkansas has 47. ASU has numerous JUCO and transfer players, so they didn't sit 3 years at ASU to contribute the last two, lol. What they have is the best talent in the Sun Belt conference, Anderson's 3-11 OOC record, with two of those being FCS schools, shows it isn't as good.

Dang it man, why can't you let me have my theories!  Throwing around facts and squashing my dreams!!! 

ricepig

Quote from: HogHolio on December 06, 2016, 08:33:24 am
Dang it man, why can't you let me have my theories!  Throwing around facts and squashing my dreams!!! 

Sorry, never mind........

Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2016, 08:18:25 am
Nothing you said makes the original point invalid.  It's not a comparison to Arkansas, and it doesn't take the same level of talent to win at ASU as it does Arkansas. A high school kid could not be a good player for Arkansas and still contribute to ASU. Take Fredi Knighton for example.

Seminole Indian

Every thing is relative.

They have more than enough talent to be a strong contender for the SBC Championship, and will again next year.

That their talent many not be as good as most P5's  really does not matter, unless they play them.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 05, 2016, 10:08:06 pm
They should get a Texas guy though to try and attract local talent ASAP.

I think Anderson is originally from Texas; played at Baylor, too, for a bit.

The few ASU fans I know lost all faith in him after the UCA loss.

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on December 06, 2016, 08:42:45 am
Nothing you said makes the original point invalid.  It's not a comparison to Arkansas, and it doesn't take the same level of talent to win at ASU as it does Arkansas. A high school kid could not be a good player for Arkansas and still contribute to ASU. Take Fredi Knighton for example.

Ok, continue on with your examples........he said they took chances on Arkansas kids and sat them for 3 years and played them the last two, correct? I said they played/play a lot of JUCO's and transfers, which is correct, and that they win because they have the best talent in the SBC, also correct. It has nothing to do with Arkansas, I was just pointing out the roster numbers as it pertained to Arkansas kids.

Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2016, 09:00:51 am
Ok, continue on with your examples........he said they took chances on Arkansas kids and sat them for 3 years and played them the last two, correct? I said they played/play a lot of JUCO's and transfers, which is correct, and that they win because they have the best talent in the SBC, also correct. It has nothing to do with Arkansas, I was just pointing out the roster numbers as it pertained to Arkansas kids.
I see your point. Clearly Arkansas kids playing at ASU make up a big part of their roster, but I didn't realize they have as many transfers as they do.

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on December 06, 2016, 09:04:52 am
I see your point. Clearly Arkansas kids playing at ASU make up a big part of their roster, but I didn't realize they have as many transfers as they do.

Yeah, most haven't worked out well for them, but they've had guys from Auburn, TCU, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc.....

Redhogs

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 05, 2016, 11:40:06 pm
He has met with ever AD at every job opening that would
Meet with him the last 6 years or so. Remember it was leaked he was Longs lead candidate?
I still think he was, and we would have been allot better off IMHO.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

SDZ_Hog

Jimmy Sexton is Gundy's agent.  The master of leaveraging other jobs with contract negotiations.  More chance of Gundy's mullet being cut off at Sport Clips than him taking another job.

NaturalStateReb

Bowl games are rewards, and it's not like they're trying to cap an undefeated season. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HogHolio on December 06, 2016, 07:56:28 am

Mohajir's been a great AD for ASU, no doubt about it.  He's had a good eye for coaching talent, and he's done a very good job of building up ASU's programs, facilities, and fan base.  Looks like he's picked a good coach for basketball--I was surprised that John Brady didn't do more there.

Generally, there are more players in Arkansas that have a chance to make a contribution at the Sunbelt level than the SEC level.  That's also true for talent within about 200 miles of Jonesboro, and there's a considerable amount of talent in that halo.  ASU's always had pretty good fan support for a mid-major program, particularly when you consider the relatively low population density of East Arkansas.  There's a lot of money in Jonesboro, and it's become a regional city. 

I think Anderson's done a pretty good job over there.  You can't change coaches as frequently as ASU has and not have it catch up with you a little bit, and that happened early in this season.  The UCA loss wasn't a good loss because it's FCS, but it turned out that UCA was actually one of the best FCS teams this season.  Having Anderson land the Baylor job would burnish ASU's reputation as a place to go to get a big job.  With the buyout, ASU could afford to pay another very talented up-and-comer assistant.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on December 06, 2016, 09:18:47 am
Jimmy Sexton is Gundy's agent.  The master of leaveraging other jobs with contract negotiations.  More chance of Gundy's mullet being cut off at Sport Clips than him taking another job.

Certainly the Baylor job.  That place is radioactive, and it has practically no history of success before Art Briles.  Gundy's got a better thing going at Okie State, and he can get a better gig than Baylor if he wants to leave.

RagingHawgOn

Grant Teaff was the best they ever had pre-Briles.

hawganatic

I honestly don't see anything wrong with this statement.  It puts the focus back on the player, which is where it should be to begin with.

The bowl game is reward for the players, not the fans who sit on their butts all season just watching the game.

Locutus_of_Boar

Hmmm, Baylor needs to wait for the DNA test results.  Sounds like he might prove to be an unknown Nutt brother who was abandoned at birth and raised by red wolves.

thefisher

Quote from: go hogues on December 05, 2016, 10:49:18 pm
Wonder if ASU will go after Rhett Lashlee?

It would make for an incredibly interesting story line!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 06, 2016, 09:20:38 am
Bowl games are rewards, and it's not like they're trying to cap an undefeated season.
Really? Just let the Razorback HC make that statement and see how Razorback fans react. They want a "W".
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Baylor is going to hire Temple's coach Bruce Feldman just reported. Great hire for them. I wonder if Anderson burned any bridges.

Ironhawg

Quote from: OKC on December 06, 2016, 06:34:41 am
Not buying it either, but it seems to be getting more traction...I kind of hope Boone Pickens calls his bluff and Gundy ships out. Get him further away from Tulsa Union and Jenks. In the end, I think Gundy's agent is just stirring the pot for a bigger payday down the road.

Sounds like his agent is Jimmy Sexton.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Karma on December 06, 2016, 10:36:09 am
Baylor is going to hire Temple's coach Bruce Feldman just reported. Great hire for them. I wonder if Anderson burned any bridges.
Been burning what was left of the bridge since the end of their fourth game.