Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good article about Connor Vanover

Started by Karma, November 16, 2016, 02:41:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 29, 2017, 06:46:53 pm
But not as crazy as killing a lion with a spear, which he also did.
He beat up the Fridge in a celebrity boxing match. Now that is crazy.

Just because he's 7'3" that doesn't make him a center or rim protector.  That's just not his game.

ShadowHawg

Let him walk on. For the guy asking for the difference with hannahs, van can't create his own shot.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 27, 2017, 07:25:12 pm
Man you have a lot of hate for this kid? He has two years to improve so lets recruit him and see how he develops. To say a kid would be an athlete by now is stupid. I have seen amazing improvement in kids from 16-19.. Have worked with kids that blossomed a year after they graduated and when I say blossomed I mean you see them in HS and then you see them playing pickup and they drive the lane and flush the ball right on someone. Your like his parents should have held him back a year. Crazy to say he can't become more athletic. Especially big kids tend to mature late. I say wait and see what our options are.

I said he was a hard worker and you equate that with hate?

His parents are tall, not athletic. He has an older brother who has zero athleticism.

He will have to defeat his genetics to become athletic.

What's stupid is going off half cocked on people who have followed the kid and his family for years.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 28, 2017, 02:17:17 am
Let him walk on. For the guy asking for the difference with hannahs, van can't create his own shot.
I don't think he fits with our system, but there's no chance he walks on. He has multiple SEC offers.

daprospecta

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 28, 2017, 02:17:17 am
You serious? Who's blocking his shot? Manute Bol(may he rest in peace)?

The Boar War

I wish Connor the best.  He put on a nice performance in the regionals.  It will be interesting to see how he develops next year and what Mike decides to do.  He's a unique offensive weapon.  Defensively I believe he would struggle.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: daprospecta on February 28, 2017, 12:57:24 pm
You serious? Who's blocking his shot? Manute Bol(may he rest in peace)?

So you think he can create off the dribble?

Good luck with that.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 28, 2017, 08:03:52 pm
So you think he can create off the dribble?

Good luck with that.

Again with the hate?? Did he do something to you? FTR if Mike is recruiting at a high level then I would agree we should pass. But he is way over 7ft and you can't teach height.

FineAsSwine

He looks less athletic than Trey Thompson, who is struggling with the up and down pace right now.

Brachen Hazen would be a more productive player for us in CMA's system than Vanover.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 28, 2017, 08:25:25 pm
Again with the hate?? Did he do something to you? FTR if Mike is recruiting at a high level then I would agree we should pass. But he is way over 7ft and you can't teach height.

He already holds an offer from the Hogs which is one of the reasons I find uninformed people like yourself to be so ridiculous. I know more about him than you just from paying attention.

He is a great kid from a great family what's to hate?

It still doesn't change the fact he doesn't fit an up tempo system. I would venture to guess that you are ignorant of the fact he had to change summer teams just this past year because the one he started on was too up tempo for him to be productive in.

Get a grip.

rzrbackramsfan

I agree with some of you all.  I think he'd be worth a scholarship.

gmarv

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 28, 2017, 10:55:02 pm
He already holds an offer from the Hogs which is one of the reasons I find uninformed people like yourself to be so ridiculous. I know more about him than you just from paying attention.

He is a great kid from a great family what's to hate?

It still doesn't change the fact he doesn't fit an up tempo system. I would venture to guess that you are ignorant of the fact he had to change summer teams just this past year because the one he started on was too up tempo for him to be productive in.

Get a grip.
I keep seeing people say he has a offer,my question is it a commitable offer and if so why hasn,t he committed?

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 01, 2017, 04:20:45 am

How is a player worth a scholarship if you bypass players more likely to be successful to sign him?

Hawg Red

Quote from: gmarv on March 01, 2017, 08:37:28 am
I keep seeing people say he has a offer,my question is it a commitable offer and if so why hasn,t he committed?

It is not a committable offer.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 27, 2017, 07:06:48 pm
He's 7'3
Repeat: 7'3

His mom was a Hog. I know he's a fan. I've seen him at football games.
He's a native Arkie.
He has skills.

Oh yea. He's 7'3.
He can protect the rim without even trying.

I think you find a spot for him. He doesn't have to be the #1 recruit, but I think it would be a mistake to not offer him. Someone said we have.
I do have concerns about him trying to run up and down the floor in this system.

But even if he averaged 15 minutes a game in a four-year career, I think he's worth a scholarship, with the size and skills he has.

And the upside potential is much higher than that.

He would get absolutely torched in the pick and roll/switching/hedging. I guess we could play zone each time he's in the game, but do we want to offer scholarships with that kind of thinking?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: What's Shakin' Macon on March 01, 2017, 08:55:59 pm
He would get absolutely torched in the pick and roll/switching/hedging. I guess we could play zone each time he's in the game, but do we want to offer scholarships with that kind of thinking?
Yes, it would be ridiculous to see a 7'3 guy around the free throw line switching/hedging.
But some would say it's ridiculous for Kingsley and Thompson to be spending an inordinate amount of time doing the same thing, instead of staying in the paint, protecting the rim, and rebounding the basketball.
Some would say a switch to more conventional defenses that allow for the big men to do that has helped lately.

Personally, I think a good team knows how to switch its offenses/defenses to fit the opponent and situation, so if a 7'3' Vanover was on the team and playing, you wouldn't ask him to do a lot of that.
So I wouldn't preclude a scholarship just for those types of reasons alone, no.

ShadowHawg

Herein lies the problem with Conner, you would have to modify. BOTH defense and offense for him to be effective because of the lack of speed.

So basically you would have to build the team around him and he's not that kind of player.

In a zone he would be unable to challenge shooters on the perimeter or recover and challenge for rebounds.

So the question then becomes can he score enough to offset his defensive liabilities? He is only a spot up shooter at the high d1 level not a back to the basket player or someone who can create his own shot on the perimeter.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 01, 2017, 04:20:45 am
If nothing else he could be a pick and pop big. He can stretch the floor and create driving and passing lanes for sure. Ala Dirk Nowitski or Luke Kornet. Although the both of them are much more athletic at this point. His length can change shots at the basket without him even trying. Might be worth another look.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

logic

ESPN has Connor Vanover as  a 4 star.  He has offers from Arkansas and other SEC colleges but so far not Kansas and apparently Arkansas and Kansas are his top two choices.  He will be a great fit for Arkansas.  He can shoot the 3 and very difficult to block. And, from the videos he can block shots and rebound.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: logic on March 03, 2017, 10:54:52 pm
ESPN has Connor Vanover as  a 4 star.  He has offers from Arkansas and other SEC colleges but so far not Kansas and apparently Arkansas and Kansas are his top two choices.  He will be a great fit for Arkansas.  He can shoot the 3 and very difficult to block. And, from the videos he can block shots and rebound.
He doesn't have an offer from Arkansas.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

passinghog

He'll never be a hog...might as well get over it. He doesn't fit our system...he doesn't fit a lot of high major systems...

GuvHog

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on March 04, 2017, 11:14:56 am
He doesn't have an offer from Arkansas.

It's my understanding that he has had an offer from Arkansas for quite some time. Mike Anderson can't afford to walk away from a 7'3" four star instate player and he knows it. Schools like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Florida, and North Carolina can afford to pass on a player like Conner because they have their pick of 5 Star players but Mike doesn't have that luxury at Arkansas.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GoPigs69

Quote from: GuvHog on March 06, 2017, 11:21:56 am
It's my understanding that he has had an offer from Arkansas for quite some time. Mike Anderson can't afford to walk away from a 7'3" four star instate player and he knows it. Schools like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Florida, and North Carolina can afford to pass on a player like Conner because they have their pick of 5 Star players but Mike doesn't have that luxury at Arkansas.

He does NOT have an offer whereby they would accept his commitment...I'm not sure why this thread continues because he will not be a Razorback or least will not be a Razorback offered a scholarship on day 1. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on March 06, 2017, 11:21:56 am

Believe it or not Guv, there are four star players who aren't system fits here. Hunter Mickelson was one.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 06, 2017, 11:31:16 am
Believe it or not Guv, there are four star players who aren't system fits here. Hunter Mickelson was one.

Well, he didn't fit the system in Kansas either. Maybe it was just the player.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 06, 2017, 11:31:16 am
I actually think Mickelson fit our system pretty good. He's was a 6'10 player that can run, jump, and is pretty athletic. Am I missing something. Not to mention he's a face up offensive player not a back to the basket player. It just think he gave up too quick.

Youngsta71701

March 06, 2017, 03:36:55 pm #77 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:51:56 pm by Youngsta71701
If Vanover was to come to Arkansas maybe he could play the Dwight Stewart role. A stretch 5. I think I could find a role for him. You can't teach 7'3 with a shot.

daprospecta

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 06, 2017, 03:36:55 pm
If Vanover was to come to Arkansas maybe he could play the Dwight Stewart role. A stretch 5. I think I could find a role for him. You can't teach 7'3 with a shot.
This is what I'm thinking.  Even if he doesn't play big, as long as the ball goes in the hoop, I'm happy.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 06, 2017, 03:32:41 pm
I actually think Mickelson fit our system pretty good. He's was a 6'10 player that can run, jump, and is pretty athletic. Am I missing something. Not to mention he's a face up offensive player not a back to the basket player. It just think he gave up too quick.
Agreed. I thought Mickelsen was the perfect big man fit for this system.
He left because he just didn't feel it here for whatever reason. I hated to see him go.
He was a contributor, and I think by his junior and senior year he would have been giving the same or more as Trey Thompson is giving in his junior and senior year(next year).

GuvHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 06, 2017, 11:00:54 pm
Agreed. I thought Mickelsen was the perfect big man fit for this system.
He left because he just didn't feel it here for whatever reason. I hated to see him go.
He was a contributor, and I think by his junior and senior year he would have been giving the same or more as Trey Thompson is giving in his junior and senior year(next year).

Mickelson left because he was being forced to gain weight and play out of position. He was a 4 spot player who had always played facing the basket but at Arkansas, he was forced to play the 5 spot and was never comfortable doing that.

Connor is versatile so he is capable of playing the 4 spot or the 5 spot. Very rarely do you find a 7'3" player who can shoot 3 pointers like he does.

GuvHog

Quote from: GoPigs69 on March 06, 2017, 11:29:50 am
He does NOT have an offer whereby they would accept his commitment...I'm not sure why this thread continues because he will not be a Razorback or least will not be a Razorback offered a scholarship on day 1. 

Wrong on all counts.

Wooderson

What amazes me is the inability of some fans to understand that sometimes kids are recruited to be role players. Connor could play and contribute when we are playing zone.

Coach Anderson knows that, but also knows Connor could be a major contributor for another program/scheme. So he has probably told Connor we would love to have you, but you would play 5-15 minutes as a role player. Connor knows he can go elsewhere and potentially start/contribute more.

It would be fantastic if he were a razorback. It would add another dimension to the team that would be used sparsely. In the end it wouldn't probably be best for the kid unless he has always envisioned himself being a razorback as more important than his individual goals.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Wooderson on March 07, 2017, 09:06:44 am
What amazes me is the inability of some fans to understand that sometimes kids are recruited to be role players. Connor could play and contribute when we are playing zone.

Coach Anderson knows that, but also knows Connor could be a major contributor for another program/scheme. So he has probably told Connor we would love to have you, but you would play 5-15 minutes as a role player. Connor knows he can go elsewhere and potentially start/contribute more.

It would be fantastic if he were a razorback. It would add another dimension to the team that would be used sparsely. In the end it wouldn't probably be best for the kid unless he has always envisioned himself being a razorback as more important than his individual goals.

I think this is a fair assessment. Connor would kind of be like Trey, who mostly just stays under the basket. In a matchup zone, which I believe is the defense best suited for Mike's system, Connor could do well backing up Gafford.

I think he could handle a role similar to Treys right now. A high post screener and passer. But Connor could actually be deadly shooting the jumper.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 07, 2017, 09:17:15 am
I think this is a fair assessment. Connor would kind of be like Trey, who mostly just stays under the basket. In a matchup zone, which I believe is the defense best suited for Mike's system, Connor could do well backing up Gafford.

I think he could handle a role similar to Treys right now. A high post screener and passer. But Connor could actually be deadly shooting the jumper.

That last line is the main difference between Connor and Thompson. Thompson is a pure post player who might occasionally hit a short jumper but Connor is a post player that hits 3 pointers. A 7'3" player who can hit 3 pointers is very valuable in college basketball these days.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on March 07, 2017, 09:31:21 am
That last line is the main difference between Connor and Thompson. Thompson is a pure post player who might occasionally hit a short jumper but Connor is a post player that hits 3 pointers. A 7'3" player who can hit 3 pointers is very valuable in college basketball these days.

It's almost best to be backwards now. Let your posts players play up top and shoot jumpers, while clearing the lane for the quick, dynamic guards of today's game to drive the lane and and attack the rim or draw fouls.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 07, 2017, 09:40:05 am
It's almost best to be backwards now. Let your posts players play up top and shoot jumpers, while clearing the lane for the quick, dynamic guards of today's game to drive the lane and and attack the rim or draw fouls.

Agreed. There are those on here who keep insisting that Conner won't fit at Arkansas because they just can't bring themselves to let go of Hawgball and "Forty minutes of Hades". Those are gone forever and they are not coming back. Heck even Mike realizes this and has pretty well abandoned the "fastest 40 minutes of basketball" moniker. It's more of a deliberate technical game where fast breaks still occasionally happen and Conner would fit in well up there.

bvillepig

I have never seen Conner play but at 7 '3 if he has the desire I would take a chance. One never knows.

Any of you know of Mark Eaton Utah Jazz.

I had the privilege of hearing Eaton tell his life story and having dinner with him afterwards.  A juco coach recruited Eaton from a tire dealership where he was fixing flats. He had never played basketball in his life. Detested any thing to do with athletics because of his shyness and clumsiness.

Remarkable story. No athletic ability period according to him. Great defensive player for the Utah Jazz. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on March 07, 2017, 11:29:02 am
Agreed. There are those on here who keep insisting that Conner won't fit at Arkansas because they just can't bring themselves to let go of Hawgball and "Forty minutes of Hades". Those are gone forever and they are not coming back. Heck even Mike realizes this and has pretty well abandoned the "fastest 40 minutes of basketball" moniker. It's more of a deliberate technical game where fast breaks still occasionally happen and Conner would fit in well up there.

What? MA hasn't abandoned his style.

Vanover will be a defensive liability to any team that signs him. Just think about how many points Moses would get in transition against him.

There are two ends of the floor. Fans don't put much credence in this, but anyone who has ever coached understands that even a great offensive player is a liability to a team if he can't defend.

Vanover struggled just this summer to keep up with more athletic bigs in end to end play.

I have seen Vanover in several other players high light videos. Let that sink in.

Hawg Red

Quote from: bvillepig on March 07, 2017, 11:29:50 am
I have never seen Conner play but at 7 '3 if he has the desire I would take a chance. One never knows.

Any of you know of Mark Eaton Utah Jazz.

I had the privilege of hearing Eaton tell his life story and having dinner with him afterwards.  A juco coach recruited Eaton from a tire dealership where he was fixing flats. He had never played basketball in his life. Detested any thing to do with athletics because of his shyness and clumsiness.

Remarkable story. No athletic ability period according to him. Great defensive player for the Utah Jazz.

That was like two generations ago. I can't imagine Vanover being terribly effective at the high-major D1 level, let alone going on to have an NBA career.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on March 07, 2017, 09:31:21 am
I agree, see Vanderbilt.

Youngsta71701

I will say this. If we make enough baskets we won't have to worry about him not getting back on defense fast enough. In a 2-3 zone he can just stand his tall butt in the lane, get in the way and change shots just by standing there with his hands straight up it nothing else.

Like I said. You can't teach 7'3 with any type of basketball skills with a 3 point shot. I like Mike but IMO we should definitely give this kid a shot if he wants to be a Hog. And if it doesn't work out he can transfer to Arkansas State after a year or two.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 07, 2017, 01:23:56 pm
I agree, see Vanderbilt.

Connor Vanover makes Luke Kornet look like Blake Griffin. Do you guys think Vanover could make it through Anderson's conditioning regimen?

OnTheHillHogFan

If Vanover and Trey Thompson did one down and back on the court Trey would be done and Connnor would be 30' from finishing. He just doesn't have the mobility to pay at a Mid to High D1 level.

And Guv he doesn't have an offer from this staff.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 07, 2017, 01:07:41 pm
What? MA hasn't abandoned his style.

Vanover will be a defensive liability to any team that signs him. Just think about how many points Moses would get in transition against him.

There are two ends of the floor. Fans don't put much credence in this, but anyone who has ever coached understands that even a great offensive player is a liability to a team if he can't defend.

Vanover struggled just this summer to keep up with more athletic bigs in end to end play.

I have seen Vanover in several other players high light videos. Let that sink in.

I didn't say Mike abandoned his style of play, he's pretty well abandoned that moniker though. Mike has adjusted his style to where it's now a mixture of the full court speed game and the more deliberate technical half court game, that's why his team is currently having a successful season. It's no longer the full out "fastest 40 minutes in basketball" any more. That style of play is gone and isn't coming back.

You're wrong about Conner.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 07, 2017, 01:45:32 pm
Connor Vanover makes Luke Kornet look like Blake Griffin. Do you guys think Vanover could make it through Anderson's conditioning regimen?

Yes I do.

GuvHog

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on March 07, 2017, 03:07:56 pm
If Vanover and Trey Thompson did one down and back on the court Trey would be done and Connnor would be 30' from finishing. He just doesn't have the mobility to pay at a Mid to High D1 level.

And Guv he doesn't have an offer from this staff.

Yes, he has an offer from this staff.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 07, 2017, 01:45:32 pm

Just admit it, you're scared to death that Mike is moving away from the Hawgball style of play to a more technical style. People need to let go of the past and the Hawgball/ fastest 40 minutes of basketball styles are things of the past.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on March 07, 2017, 04:19:02 pm
Just admit it, you're scared to death that Mike is moving away from the Hawgball style of play to a more technical style. People need to let go of the past and the Hawgball/ fastest 40 minutes of basketball styles are things of the past.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Now I'm being accused of not wanting Mike Anderson to change his style of play???

You guys can't have it both ways.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on March 07, 2017, 04:15:02 pm
Yes, he has an offer from this staff.

An offer that is non-committable.