Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good article about Connor Vanover

Started by Karma, November 16, 2016, 02:41:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

daprospecta

ShadowHawg

Quote from: daprospecta on March 07, 2017, 06:12:56 pm
What does this mean exactly?

It means that he can have a scholarship only if he is both willing to wait and if certain other things also fall in line.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on March 07, 2017, 04:12:41 pm
I didn't say Mike abandoned his style of play, he's pretty well abandoned that moniker though. Mike has adjusted his style to where it's now a mixture of the full court speed game and the more deliberate technical half court game, that's why his team is currently having a successful season. It's no longer the full out "fastest 40 minutes in basketball" any more. That style of play is gone and isn't coming back.

You're wrong about Conner.

I am right about Vanover.

You are wrong about Conner. Do you really know this kid on a first name basis. Is that why you refer to him on a first name basis or is there something unhealthy going on?

Also, I suggest you tell all the broadcast teams about MA not coaching the fastest 40 style anymore. They keep referring to it when calling our games.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 07, 2017, 06:51:32 pm
I am right about Vanover.

You are wrong about Conner. Do you really know this kid on a first name basis. Is that why you refer to him on a first name basis or is there something unhealthy going on?

Also, I suggest you tell all the broadcast teams about MA not coaching the fastest 40 style anymore. They keep referring to it when calling our games.

No, I don't know Connor personally but I have seen him play and I'm right about him.

The broadcast teams occasionally still mention it but the Hogs haven't played that style for sometime now. The style they're running now is a more technical half court style mixed with the full court fast break style when they get the chance to do it but they most certainly don't run for 40 minutes any more.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Red

Vanover is a good player. He some good skills for a 7'3 player. However, he has a horrible body for modern basketball. He's gone from a top 25 prospect inside of 2 years ago to now around the top 200 and a 3-star player. He's made a ton of visits to Kansas but has no offer. I'd imagine his offers from the other high-majors in the region are conditional like the Arkansas offer. This kid could end up in the mid-majors if he wants to sign early. He's a kid that I really think needs to be redshirted. I know some around here hate the thought of that and think it's not feasible anymore, but he'll truly need it.

If he ends up a Hog, great. Love seeing Arkansas kids in the program. But there recruits we're on that fit better and will likely translate easier. It's just hard for me to imagine Vanover being much more than a spot-minute player for ANY high-major program, not just Arkansas. You don't sign players like that in the early period. Those are players you just end up with when you have an unforeseen departure in the late period (think Dee Wagner, Dobbie Jenkins, Brachen Hazen, etc.). Every player has potential. Not every player should be a target. Vanover is likely not a target for anyone in a high-major conference. He's a "we'll take a flier if we miss on about 10 players" kind of recruit.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 08, 2017, 09:40:36 am
Vanover is a good player. He some good skills for a 7'3 player. However, he has a horrible body for modern basketball. He's gone from a top 25 prospect inside of 2 years ago to now around the top 200 and a 3-star player. He's made a ton of visits to Kansas but has no offer. I'd imagine his offers from the other high-majors in the region are conditional like the Arkansas offer. This kid could end up in the mid-majors if he wants to sign early. He's a kid that I really think needs to be redshirted. I know some around here hate the thought of that and think it's not feasible anymore, but he'll truly need it.

If he ends up a Hog, great. Love seeing Arkansas kids in the program. But there recruits we're on that fit better and will likely translate easier. It's just hard for me to imagine Vanover being much more than a spot-minute player for ANY high-major program, not just Arkansas. You don't sign players like that in the early period. Those are players you just end up with when you have an unforeseen departure in the late period (think Dee Wagner, Dobbie Jenkins, Brachen Hazen, etc.). Every player has potential. Not every player should be a target. Vanover is likely not a target for anyone in a high-major conference. He's a "we'll take a flier if we miss on about 10 players" kind of recruit.

ESPN has him listed as a 4 star player.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on March 10, 2017, 04:58:05 pm
ESPN has him listed as a 4 star player.

That's what is called an "outlier." 247 Sports, Rivals, and Scout all have him listed as 3-star recruit.

hogwood

Haven't looked on here in a while... Why is this thread at the top?... And why is this even a thread?

zebradynasty

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 07, 2017, 05:03:09 pm
An offer that is non-committable.

UA shouldn't try a get cute with this. As of today I don't see this kid playing in the SEC or in a P-5 conference. There are so many "ifs" that I would just wait and see how much he develops in his senior year. Meanwhile if another school gets him to commit...we should wish him well. I don't see him being a player that if goes to say Ole Miss or something that in a few years everyone will be complaining how we missed on him. Right now it's hard to envision him being an impact player for our competition like a Monk or Allen. UA should wait before we extend an offer and let this kid entertain any good offers he may get.

PintailKiller

Kid is a Jr.  Lets see how he progresses over the summer and see how his body develops.  He is more athletic than anyone else in his family.  Is he Gafford? No.  He played for Team USA, so he must be pretty good.  I don't care one way or the other if he plays for the Hogs, but I think he will be successful in college.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

sage_dragoon

Could he be a Luke Kornet type player? I'd take that.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

zebradynasty

March 13, 2017, 09:43:31 am #112 Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:54:18 am by zebradynasty
The hogs need more height inside but it needs to be a player that can demand respect in the paint. Not sure this kid is or will be that type of player. Now if he looked like a Kornet type player...hurry up and sign him! I think rating him as 4* at this point might be stretch.

PonderinHog

Just not sure about him in a Hog uniform.

GuvHog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 12, 2017, 10:12:27 pm
Doesn't move around near as well and isn't as physical. He can shoot it a bit, but not as well as Kornet. Hard pass on him for me.

Kornet is likely to be drafted by an NBA team so of course Conner, who is only a Junior in high school, is not as good as him. As it stands now, Gafford is the only big man Mike will have on the team for the 2018-2019 season so it would be a smart move to have Connor coming off of the bench occasionally to spell Him, which will give Connor time to develop too. It's very rare thing to find a Four star 7'4" player who shoots the 3 pointer as well as Connor does. He would be a force on defense blocking shots.

ShadowHawg

What part of Vanover can't run the floor or play with his back to the basket are you people not getting?

Can you imagine what he he would be like if he switched on.a guard at the top of the key? It would be disaster.

The kid is a novelty.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 13, 2017, 10:19:01 am
Just not sure about him in a Hog uniform.

Bradley was way more mobile than Vanover.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 01, 2017, 02:58:25 pm
What part of Vanover can't run the floor or play with his back to the basket are you people not getting?

Can you imagine what he he would be like if he switched on.a guard at the top of the key? It would be disaster.

The kid is a novelty.

The switching was a problem this year for Moses and as a result, Mike smartly altered his defense so Moses stayed in the lane 90% of the time and didn't get caught having to go one on one with a guard. He would do the same with Connor. You "40 minutes of Hades" guys need to let that go. That type of basketball is gone to never return.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on April 01, 2017, 03:44:24 pm
The switching was a problem this year for Moses and as a result, Mike smartly altered his defense so Moses stayed in the lane 90% of the time and didn't get caught having to go one on one with a guard. He would do the same with Connor. You "40 minutes of Hades" guys need to let that go. That type of basketball is gone to never return.

No he didn't. We played a switching man 90% of the time. I am beginning to think you are a troll. No one can be so clueless by.accident.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 01, 2017, 04:09:52 pm
No he didn't. We played a switching man 90% of the time. I am beginning to think you are a troll. No one can be so clueless by.accident.

I'm not a troll and I'm not clueless. Early in the season Moses did switch to where he was on a guard a lot and that hurt the hogs so later in the season, Mike altered his defense to keep Moses in the lane most of the time. The other 4 players on the floor still switched a lot but Moses didn't switch very often later in the season.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on April 01, 2017, 02:25:30 pm
Kornet is likely to be drafted by an NBA team so of course Conner, who is only a Junior in high school, is not as good as him. As it stands now, Gafford is the only big man Mike will have on the team for the 2018-2019 season so it would be a smart move to have Connor coming off of the bench occasionally to spell Him, which will give Connor time to develop too. It's very rare thing to find a Four star 7'4" player who shoots the 3 pointer as well as Connor does. He would be a force on defense blocking shots.
Reggie Perry isn't a big?
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

GuvHog

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on April 01, 2017, 05:03:41 pm

I believe he's a 4 spot player and we need another 5 spot player.

Porked Tongue

Anyone heard a recent rumor on him?  Leaving Prep?

Rocket23

His high school coach is rumored to be in running for Bentonville HS job.  Could he be going with him?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Rocket23 on April 19, 2017, 12:04:19 pm
His high school coach is rumored to be in running for Bentonville HS job.  Could he be going with him?
I'm starting the rumor now...Vanover to Bentonville to Kentucky!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Rocket23 on April 19, 2017, 12:04:19 pm

Don't think he got it, so Vanover probably stays.

Porked Tongue

That was the rumor I heard.  But it seems that the Prep coach didn't get the job there and that kills it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on April 01, 2017, 05:03:41 pm

Versatile Power Forward that can do anything. He kind of has a Joe Johnson smoothness about him, but with a PFs game.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 01, 2017, 02:58:25 pm

The kid is a novelty.

Dude you need to get off the kid. Your hatred is unreal the way you talk about this young man shouldn't be allowed on here. You aren't the only one but your persistent.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on April 19, 2017, 07:38:43 pm
Dude you need to get off the kid. Your hatred is unreal the way you talk about this young man shouldn't be allowed on here. You aren't the only one but your persistent.

Most people are smart enough to distinguish between discussion of a skill set and hatred. But I wouldn't expect an Alma Airhead to fathom the complexities of such a discussion.