Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maurice Smith felt ‘ostracized’ by Alabama, had belongings thrown in trash

Started by jbcarol, August 03, 2016, 09:24:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/760838979646201857

QuoteNick Saban is blocking defensive back Maurice Smith from transferring to Georgia according to Maurice Smith's mom.

Saban is citing the SEC rule of giving the originating program the right to block a transfer to conference brethren — or certain other hand-picked schools. (Though Alabama did, as Samyra Smith archly noted, allow grad transfer Chris Black to move to Missouri.) It's the same rule Smart invoked when A.J. Turman was leaving Georgia. Indeed, Georgia also prevented Turman from transferring to Miami — although Turman hadn't expressed an interest in Miami; he landed at Florida Atlantic — because it didn't want ex-Bulldogs playing for Mark Richt.

In sum, what's good for the goose is sauce for the gander. Which isn't to say the SEC rule is a good rule. It's not. It's a silly one. Feel free to email Greg Sankey about it.

As we know, Richt had a different take. He let guys go wherever. Tray Matthews wound up at Auburn. J.J. Green is at Georgia Tech. Johnathan Taylor landed at Alabama, though Alabama wishes he hadn't. (Nick Marshall and Zack Mettenberger went to junior college after being booted from Georgia's squad, rendering the rule inapplicable.)
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/760888867344019457

QuoteWhen Maurice Smith informed Alabama of his intention to transfer, his locker room was cleaned out, personal belongings thrown in the trash, he was banned from using the athletic facility, and he generally felt "ostracized."

That's according to a letter Smith wrote to Alabama's appeal committee on July 1, which was provided to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday by Smith's mother, Samyra.

Smith, a senior defensive back who is due to graduate from Alabama on Saturday, wants to transfer to Georgia, but is being denied by Alabama, citing SEC rules.

In the letter, Maurice Smith said he met with Alabama head coach Nick Saban and informed him of his decision to transfer on June 16. Saban informed Smith – who had finished spring practice with the first team at nickel back – that he would not allow him to transfer to another SEC school. That ended the conversation.

"On Friday, June 17, I arrived at the athletic facility locker room to find my locker cleaned out and all of my personal belongings in the trash (photo attached) underneath trash," Maurice Smith wrote. "These personal items included my family photos, written goals, inspirational and sentimental items memorializing my deceased former friend, roommate and teammate, Altee Tenpenny, and items of personal value from my former teammates."

Alabama declined to comment when asked about the letter on Wednesday.

Smith's family provided copies of a text message, the sender of which was blacked out, the text of which said: "Bro I can't have u at facility. Not for workout, lunch, anything. All in or out policy. Sorry bro."

Another photo was provided of what Smith's family says are his personal items thrown in the trash. Who threw them in the trash isn't clear, but they said the message was clear.

The process actually began on June 13...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

We need to show this story to every kid we are going head to head with Alabama in recruiting on.  I know it is a business, etc. but I would hope that we wouldn't play those type of games with any kid wanting to leave our program.  The bottom line is the line referring to him finishing spring at first string.  If this was a situation like Tenpenny, where he was 4th or 5th on the chart, they would've signed off on most anywhere except to his former employee at Georgia.  I don't blame them for blocking that move, but the follow up treatment is a bit dooshtastic.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on August 03, 2016, 01:20:10 pm
We need to show this story to every kid we are going head to head with Alabama in recruiting on.  I know it is a business, etc. but I would hope that we wouldn't play those type of games with any kid wanting to leave our program.  The bottom line is the line referring to him finishing spring at first string.  If this was a situation like Tenpenny, where he was 4th or 5th on the chart, they would've signed off on most anywhere except to his former employee at Georgia.  I don't blame them for blocking that move, but the follow up treatment is a bit dooshtastic.

He is a senior that finished the spring at first string NICKLE. Meaning technically he is not a starter for Bama's base defense. And there was no guarantee he would even hold that spot given that Bama adds three 4 star freshman corners to the mix this week.

KlubhouseKonnected

What I am saying is that it's not even a NEED to keep him situation.

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 03, 2016, 01:26:53 pm
What I am saying is that it's not even a NEED to keep him situation.
I agree.  I'm just saying that if he wasn't first string somewhere and was down the depth chart, they would've gladly flushed him out of the system and made way for the next guy in this class coming up.  The fact they resisted this much tells me that he obviously had some talent they didn't just want to give away.  Do they even play Georgia this year? Do you think this is Saban punishing Smart for not hanging around to be the heir apparent?

pigture perfect

The rules are the same for every team. I doubt even CBB would grant the release, unless he had already finished his degree.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Rocky&Boarwinkle

I get the not granting of the release to that team.  I don't get being complete tools to a guy that by all rights can transfer because he has graduated and throwing everything out of his locker the next day instead of inviting him to come clean it out himself and wishing him well and sending him on his merry way.  It seems kind of petty and juvenile for a program of that stature.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on August 03, 2016, 04:39:07 pm
I get the not granting of the release to that team.  I don't get being complete tools to a guy that by all rights can transfer because he has graduated and throwing everything out of his locker the next day instead of inviting him to come clean it out himself and wishing him well and sending him on his merry way.  It seems kind of petty and juvenile for a program of that stature.
If indeed it happened the way he says it did.   

Rocky&Boarwinkle

GolfnHog

Quote from: DOGALUM on August 03, 2016, 05:04:39 pm
If indeed it happened the way he says it did.   

Though I didn't see the photo of the trash can I would say chances are decent that using photographic evidence in his letter may support his claim that his personal effects were in the trash.

Certainly don't think that every assistant, grad assistant or athletic dept. lacky is beyond reproach to do the "dirty deed" if ordered to do so. That does not mean I am implying CNS ordered it but I'll sit back and see and read what else comes of this.
If he's graduating Saturday can he not transfer anywhere else without input from Alabama? 
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: GolfnHog on August 03, 2016, 06:32:17 pm
Though I didn't see the photo of the trash can I would say chances are decent that using photographic evidence in his letter may support his claim that his personal effects were in the trash.

Certainly don't think that every assistant, grad assistant or athletic dept. lacky is beyond reproach to do the "dirty deed" if ordered to do so. That does not mean I am implying CNS ordered it but I'll sit back and see and read what else comes of this.
If he's graduating Saturday can he not transfer anywhere else without input from Alabama?
Not inside the conference, but anywhere else, I believe so.

Dr. Starcs

Not surprising. Has Saban ever been considered a good human being? 

Doesn't seem to matter. Keeps reelin in those 5 stars. Even the ones content to sit on the bench for 2 years. Something's going on.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DOGALUM on August 03, 2016, 01:31:05 pm
Two sides to every story.   

Exactly. If one of my employees comes to me and says he is quiting to go to a competitor depending on what the situation is they might be asked to leave right then and there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

holeinthewall

This has been going on for over a month and posted on other boards. I am surprised ESPN would actually report this about that POS Saban.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/761048277496102912

QuoteScarblog: Maurice Smith's desire to play his final college football season somewhere other than Alabama never should've come to this.

The defensive back and special teams contributor is set to walk across the stage Saturday in Tuscaloosa to receive his undergraduate degree after just three years. That should earn him the right to play his final season of eligibility this year at the school of his choice, even if that school is Georgia, as his mother says it is.

Instead, a system that gives all the power to coaches and schools, a system that requires a blizzard of paperwork to let players try to make a move that coaches make with regularity, has conspired to create uncertainty and turmoil for Smith and his family, who could've handled things better themselves.

It's a bad look for Alabama in particular and major college football in general.

The latest development was a contentious meeting Tuesday between Smith, his parents and Alabama coach Nick Saban. Smith's mother, Samyra, described it to me as "a knock-down drag-out."

Samyra Smith said she believes Saban and Alabama are doing their best to force her son to stay and play one more season for the Crimson Tide, even though the idea of forcing a disgruntled player to stick around seems counterproductive. Smith will not report for fall camp Thursday, his mom said, and will not play for Alabama this season.

She said Saban told the family Tuesday he had "penciled in" her son as a starter. She said her son responded to the coach, "Pencils have erasers."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/761178929629655040

QuoteWhy would Alabama let Chris Black join another SEC school as a graduate transfer and then block Maurice Smith from doing the same thing?

But the situations are different, and there's a reason Black was able to get a full release and transfer to Missouri.

That reason?

Schools have seven business days to either approve or deny a player's request for a release, according to an NCAA Bylaw.

What happens if a school doesn't respond within seven business days? The school has to give the player a full release.

That's what happened with Black, sources told AL.com.

The wide receiver put in for his release leading up to Alabama's game against LSU in early November.

It was a huge game, No. 4 Alabama against No. 2 LSU. With people inside the Tide building being as busy as they were leading up to that game, Black's request for a release either got forgotten about or went unnoticed until it was too late, according to sources.

Like with Smith, coach Nick Saban didn't want Black transferring to another SEC school. But that's why Black was able to.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/761268604268675072

QuoteJust chucked them in a garbage can.

Quite a metaphor there, isn't it?

What did Smith do? He had to gall to consider finishing his football career somewhere other than Alabama.

Is he a bad kid? Apparently not. He's graduating from the Capstone on Saturday.

Was he a bad player? Apparently not. He played in 41 games for the Crimson Tide the last three seasons. He started only two of those, but he participated in all of them — including the national championship game in January —

Saban will address the media later this afternoon when Alabama holds its preseason football news conference in Tuscaloosa. I'm assuming he'll put his spin on the Smith transfer request at that time — if he feels like it, of course.

But I don't know what he could possibly say that will make the Crimson Tide look good coming out of this.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 27m27 minutes ago

Alabama releases statement regarding Maurice Smith, Chris Black

Alabama has released a statement

Quote"While it is understandable that questions are being asked about similarities regarding a situation involving another former football student-athlete transferring to an SEC institution, that instance occurred only because of unique circumstances. The student-athlete elected to have surgery in the middle of the season and left the program. Because of the timing of his departure, his scholarship was not renewed, and he requested to use the graduate transfer exception through the SEC. Our decision in this situation to support the SEC waiver was the exception and not the rule. We adhere to the SEC and institutional policies regarding issues of this manner. Waivers are not provided without compelling circumstances that present clear non-athletics reasons for the transfer. We remain happy to assist Maurice to enable a transfer to any non-SEC school, and have been doing everything requested regarding that throughout this process."

TrueBlue

"On Friday, June 17, I arrived at the athletic facility locker room to find my locker cleaned out and all of my personal belongings in the trash (photo attached) underneath trash," Maurice Smith wrote. "These personal items included my family photos, written goals, inspirational and sentimental items memorializing my deceased former friend, roommate and teammate, Altee Tenpenny, and items of personal value from my former teammates."

DOGALUM

Dr. Starcs

TrueBlue

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Marq_Burnett/status/761323801409884164

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_AJC 4h4 hours ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Marq Burnett

Only after he gets his ass in gear and approves the transfer.

TrueBlue

Quote from: jbcarol on August 04, 2016, 09:41:45 pm
https://twitter.com/Marq_Burnett/status/761323801409884164

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_AJC 4h4 hours ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Marq Burnett

Only after he gets his ass in gear and approves the transfer.

I think Hooterville Daily Gazette has some quotes you can put on here also.

pigture perfect

I'm making this statement because, I'm kind of dealing with the same issues even within my family. Here goes; I believe that we are are developing physical strength in our youth today, but not teaching them to be emotionally strong. My son in law quit his job because he felt like his boss was too hard to work for. As for Mr. Smith, It is not a right that you have to play football at a University. It is a privilege. This kid knew he had a non-compete clause when he signed his LOI. I had to do that with some jobs I've taken through the years.

The question I have though, did he feel ostracized before of after his belongings were tossed? I don't condone that aspect of it. The boy should have had his opportunity to clean his own locker out.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jbcarol

Former Crimson Tide DB and recent graduate Maurice Smith finally speaks out on blocked transfer (video via link)

QuoteSmith says he is willing to drag this battle on to ensure that he gets to transfer to the school which he wants to attend.

"I believe that this will not only help me but help anyone else who comes into my situation in the future," Smith said in the video. "That's why I say it's almost bigger than me because not only am I stepping out on faith but I'm trying to get a point across that if you do everything right you should be awarded what is better for you or best for you if that's something you choose to do.

"There's really not a deadline. I'm willing to go as far as it takes to play the season at the school that I desire, which is Georgia."

jbcarol

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 04, 2016, 11:38:58 pm
I'm making this statement because, I'm kind of dealing with the same issues even within my family. Here goes; I believe that we are are developing physical strength in our youth today, but not teaching them to be emotionally strong. My son in law quit his job because he felt like his boss was too hard to work for. As for Mr. Smith, It is not a right that you have to play football at a University. It is a privilege. This kid knew he had a non-compete clause when he signed his LOI. I had to do that with some jobs I've taken through the years.

The question I have though, did he feel ostracized before of after his belongings were tossed? I don't condone that aspect of it. The boy should have had his opportunity to clean his own locker out.

Sorry to disagree about that physical strength and youth part. Overall I'd bet youth today are in worse physical shape than before. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/763216225514258432

QuoteMaurice Smith saga continues with neither side showing outward sides of blinking. Georgia and Alabama continue to practice, while Smith is not, but he and his family appear to be digging in for the long haul.

Smith, a defensive back, graduated from Alabama on Saturday and would like to finish his career at Georgia, where he would be immediately eligible – but Alabama head coach Nick Saban has declined to release Smith to do so.

Even as Saban shows no signs of relenting, Smith is not backing down either.

Smith's mother, Samyra, provided a statement from Maurice's younger brother Ainias, a sophomore at Dulles High School in Sugar Land, Tex. Ainias Smith was listed among "freshman to watch" in a 247Sports recruiting story last December, and is being recruited by schools.

But Alabama can clearly be stricken from his potential list.

"I respected coach Saban, but it's hard to have respect for what he's done to my brother and has never apologized for how he was treated," Ainias Smith's statement said. "He didn't even care if he had food or money to eat during those weeks or if he was working out to stay in shape to possibly return to the team. This entire situation has made me have trust issues with coaches because the way coach Saban talked to us while he was at my house, and it made me think that everything was going to be all good. But now he has showed me another side that I didn't think I would see out of him."

Georgia head coach Kirby Smart reiterated that he "firmly believed" a player who graduates "should be given the opportunity to go to where he wants to go." But otherwise, Smart said, there's not much he can do.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/763520439016562688

Quote"As part of the SEC waiver process, a due diligence procedure ensures that pertinent information from the involved parties is gathered.  This information is gathered for the purpose of a thoughtful and appropriate consideration of the particular facts associated with each case.  The intent is for the waiver process to be handled in an efficient but deliberate manner, so the timeline for resolution of a waiver request varies with each unique situation.

"The SEC does not provide waivers of SEC rules absent circumstances that demonstrate a clear reason for granting an exception to those rules.  Each waiver request is reviewed on a case by case basis."

Smith will be in a whole new league.

KlubhouseKonnected

jbcarol

Petrino hater Jeff Schultz: Remember Maurice Smith as the player who caused Nick Saban to surrender

QuoteThe fact Saban would prevent a graduate player, Maurice Smith, from transferring to another SEC school was probably even more ridiculous than Kirby Smart blocking a backup running back, A.J. Turman, from transferring to an SEC school, Georgia Tech or Miami. This wasn't about rules or even about competition. It was merely another example of college coaches and their yes-man administrators completely losing perspective on the college mission (or some semblance of it).

Saban relented Wednesday night. He released Smith from his scholarship. The only thing that could stop Smith from signing with Georgia now is if the SEC decides to not sign off on the waiver. But that would amount to one of the worst public relations missteps in SEC history, which is saying something, so my guess is the conference will rubber stamp this.

Assuming Smith makes it to Athens, my first question to him would be: Have you heard of Curt Flood?

jbcarol

Maurice Smith has been given a release by Alabama and will finally be able to join Georgia's football team if the SEC signs off on a waiver.

Samyra Smith, the player's mother, confirmed Wednesday night that Alabama provided a release, and that the decision is in the hands of the SEC.

Quote"It's not over," she said.

A decision from the SEC is expected within 24 hours or less, she said. The Tuscaloosa News first reported on Wednesday night that Alabama had decided to release Smith.

According to SEC rules, any in-conference transfer must be signed off by the school the player is leaving, then the SEC must approve a waiver.

KlubhouseKonnected

DOGALUM

Bad move.   

All it teaches people is that if you don't like the rules that are in place and in this case agreed to, make enough noise and paint yourself as the victim, and you get the rules changed. 

jbcarol

Quote from: DOGALUM on August 11, 2016, 12:14:18 pm
Bad move.   

All it teaches people is that if you don't like the rules that are in place and in this case agreed to, make enough noise and paint yourself as the victim, and you get the rules changed. 

Underreported side to this story

jbcarol

Dawg Nation: Smith remains in limbo as SEC deliberates

Fall semester classes began at UGA on Thursday, and Maurice Smith was still waiting [sic]

QuoteSEC has a waiver request on its desk that would allow Smith, who graduated from Alabama last Saturday, to transfer to Georgia for his final year of football eligibility. The request came Wednesday after Alabama finally relented and released Smith to sign with any SEC school. At the time Smith's family was told a decision could come in around 24 hours or less, but the conference office is being deliberate.

SEC bylaws require that transfers within the conference – even of graduate players – include "circumstances that demonstrate a clear reason for granting an exception to those rules." That's according to a statement the conference released on Wednesday.

"As part of the SEC waiver process, a due diligence procedure ensures that pertinent information from the involved parties is gathered," the SEC said on Wednesday. "This information is gathered for the purpose of a thoughtful and appropriate consideration of the particular facts associated with each case. The intent is for the waiver process to be handled in an efficient but deliberate manner, so the timeline for resolution of a waiver request varies with each unique situation."

Mel Tucker (who coached him last year at Alabama): the adjustment period shouldn't be long. He's seen as a potential starter at any of the five positions in the secondary.

If the SEC denies the waiver request, it's unclear what Smith and Georgia's next move would be.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/764168907330555904

QuoteSmith was granted a waiver by the SEC in his request to transfer from Alabama to Georgia, and thus will be eligible to play right away.

The league announced the decision Friday afternoon. Smith and his family were awaiting the decision at home in Sugar Land.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 14m14 minutes ago

SEC grants Maurice Smith waiver to play at Georgia in 2016; if he doesn't meet certain academic requirements UGA will be penalized in 2017

jbcarol

If Maurice Smith doesn't get his graduate degree before the 2018-19 academic year, UGA could face major consequences:

QuoteFor Smith to enroll and play for Georgia this season, he must enroll in graduate school in his stated area of study, which is public health. He must enroll in nine hours of graduate degree coursework, and if he doesn't complete those hours, then he won't be eligible for postseason play. If Smith does not graduate before the 2018-19 calendar year, Georgia will be "precluded from requesting a waiver of either the two-year eligibility requirement or the intra-conference transfer rule for a graduate transfer in football until the beginning of the 2021-22 academic year (three years) or Smith's graduation from the graduate program, whichever comes first," according to the SEC's stipulations.

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt
‏@CecilHurt

Here is the full release re: Mo Smith

SEC released this late on a Friday afternoon.  Almost quittin' time.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Maurice Smith, now officially a Georgia Bulldog, has arrived in Athens and was expected to be at the team's scrimmage at Sanford Stadium, his mother said

QuoteSenior defensive back got on a flight soon after the SEC officially cleared him to transfer to Georgia on Friday afternoon.

Will Smith participate in some way, or just watch?

Unclear at this time.