Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brickyard picks

Started by OutlawHawg, July 24, 2016, 11:05:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OutlawHawg

Who you got? I think the Gibbs cars are too strong right now and the 18 will run away with it.

Buff

Jeff Gordon will win, Dale Jr. announces immediate retirement.  Mass suicide occurs in the parking lot.

OutlawHawg

While funny you might not be too far off the mark on Jr retiring. Last couple years I've felt like he really would just enjoy being a team owner and being at the track every weekend in that role. I could see him finishing out this year and then hanging it up, HMS going after two good young drivers to replace him and Kahne.

ImHogginIt

My fantasy picks were Kyle B, Stewart, Newman and Gordon.

Look at all the empty seats !!!  :o

Racinray

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 24, 2016, 02:26:30 pm
My fantasy picks were Kyle B, Stewart, Newman and Gordon.

Look at all the empty seats !!!  :o
We were just talking about that, but isn't scorching hot there too!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Racinray on July 24, 2016, 04:12:41 pm
We were just talking about that, but isn't scorching hot there too!

Summer races should all be at night

OutlawHawg

I went in 2011 I remember how hot and miserable it was and that is nothing compared to how hot it is today.

Buff

Debris caution with 12 to go?  Impossible, I say.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Buff on July 24, 2016, 05:00:37 pm
Debris caution with 12 to go?  Impossible, I say.

I hope we have at least three more

Buff

I like this heat race format.  The last 6 cars running get to race for the win.

ImHogginIt

Buff

So let's end the red flag, and then run half the laps down before the restart.

Buff

Man, all of that speedy-dry in the top groove made that look like an awfully unfair restart.

ImHogginIt

Caution two. Almost getting my wish

OutlawHawg

Gonna be interesting if there is another caution. I'd think 18 would have to come if for fuel.

Buff

OutlawHawg

Buff

The top 4 have all been 45 laps on this tank of gas.  Everyone thought the fuel window as 36-40 laps earlier on.

Buff

I find it amazing that tires that were supposed to wear out during a run don't seem to be wearing out at all. 

The 18 was just ridiculous today.

hawginbigd1

NASCAR has problems, too many snoozefests! No fans at most races. Xfinity series there is no competition. The new rules package for sprint cup leave no passing to speak of.  :puke:

Buff

Take the front splitter off and wish everybody the best of luck.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Buff on July 24, 2016, 08:07:03 pm
Take the front splitter off and wish everybody the best of luck.

Hell yeah !

Go back to 1997 when NASCAR popularity began to take off. A lot of air got under the car then .

riccoar

I had Kyle Busch, Larsen, Newman, and Gordon.  Hendrick is really struggling this year and that has to make Jr. even more frustrated.  Just don't think Jr. has the fire without his Dad around.

Flying Razorback

Kyle, Larson, Stewart, and Gordon for me.  The best part about the Gordon substitution is it gave me some relief in my C picks.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

riccoar

Been saving too.  All my A, B, and C drivers have 5 or more starts left

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 24, 2016, 08:19:13 pm
Hell yeah !

Go back to 1997 when NASCAR popularity began to take off. A lot of air got under the car then .

YEAP!!!! this is the answer!
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

ImHogginIt

Quote from: riccoar on July 25, 2016, 10:42:20 am
Been saving too.  All my A, B, and C drivers have 5 or more starts left

I have mostly 4 and 5 left on B drivers and 4 each for Blaney and Elliot as C. Would be nice if Jr misses an additional race to help out but at some point I'm gonna have to use someone like Regan Smith on a mile and a halfer  :(

OutlawHawg

One reason attendance sucks is because NASCAR has turned the champiionship into a gimmick - hasn't drawn any new fans but guarantee a lot of old fans think it's stupid.

Also doesn't help that there are almost no drivers with personalities anymore. I remember when JJ and Kenseth were consired boring but they have more personality than almost any other drivers coming up now. If you look at the new crop of drivers there isn't much to be excited about....Austin Dillon with a cowboy hat even though he was handed a ride as a millionaires grandkid....Chase Elliott while I root for him is already schooled in the corporate low risk way to act as are Kyle Larson and everyone else.

As much as I hate Brad K at least he has a personality.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: OutlawHawg on July 26, 2016, 06:11:34 pm
One reason attendance sucks is because NASCAR has turned the champiionship into a gimmick - hasn't drawn any new fans but guarantee a lot of old fans think it's stupid.

Also doesn't help that there are almost no drivers with personalities anymore. I remember when JJ and Kenseth were consired boring but they have more personality than almost any other drivers coming up now. If you look at the new crop of drivers there isn't much to be excited about....Austin Dillon with a cowboy hat even though he was handed a ride as a millionaires grandkid....Chase Elliott while I root for him is already schooled in the corporate low risk way to act as are Kyle Larson and everyone else.

As much as I hate Brad K at least he has a personality.

I disagree about the chase format. It makes it a lot more exciting to me. I hated how so many drivers didn't race to win but just raced for points.

Racinray

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 26, 2016, 06:19:14 pm
I disagree about the chase format. It makes it a lot more exciting to me. I hated how so many drivers didn't race to win but just raced for points.
The points racing was really bad and made for terrible racing.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Racinray on July 26, 2016, 07:43:05 pm
The points racing was really bad and made for terrible racing.

And so many people forget that.

They have got to take a shiit load more downforce off the cars. A number of mile and a half tracks need to be reconfigured like at Texas where they can basically go three wide all over. For instance take away a lane of racing at Texas and lower the banking in turns three and four. That's literally all that can be done down here. If that isn't enough to bring people back nothing will do it and it just means racing has been replaced by other interests.

Racinray

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 26, 2016, 08:50:36 pm
And so many people forget that.

They have got to take a shiit load more downforce off the cars. A number of mile and a half tracks need to be reconfigured like at Texas where they can basically go three wide all over. For instance take away a lane of racing at Texas and lower the banking in turns three and four. That's literally all that can be done down here. If that isn't enough to bring people back nothing will do it and it just means racing has been replaced by other interests.
Looks like the downforce will be coming off.

OutlawHawg

I would love for NASCAR to go back to the Gen 3 cars.

str8volfan

you guys are probably gonna throw bricks at me for saying this, but I think it would be cool if all the cars were prepared by NASCAR and randomly given to the drivers when they show up at the track. Like the old IROC days. Say what you want, but that was the best racing there was and ever will be.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: OutlawHawg on July 30, 2016, 07:52:44 pm
I would love for NASCAR to go back to the Gen 3 cars.

Blame manufacturers for going to Gen 4 because they pushed for drastic changes that turned showroom cars that were not at all natural race cars like the Ford Taurus into so called race cars. That's so dealerships could sell them.

I would be thrilled to leave today's cars like they are but get rid of most of the splitter and some of the side downforce. I hate how much downforce the splitters have on the cars. Damn things are basically hitting the ground

Warbirdhog

Quote from: str8volfan on July 30, 2016, 09:41:18 pm
you guys are probably gonna throw bricks at me for saying this, but I think it would be cool if all the cars were prepared by NASCAR and randomly given to the drivers when they show up at the track. Like the old IROC days. Say what you want, but that was the best racing there was and ever will be.

That is basically what the had with the cookie cutter COT where the only thing different body-wise about them was the paint and the manufacturers emblem. The 48 team won 5 straight championships with that car. And one of the reasons IROC folded up was due to lack of fan interest.