Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is there a Big Green Egg thread?

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, April 24, 2016, 05:25:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 14, 2016, 10:39:48 am
finally, thanks!  but I couldn't find a grate that I like

PP

I know lots of people hate them, but I bought a BGE brand cast iron grid.  I love it.  that's pretty much all I ever use.  If you think you might want one and you decide to get a PSWoo, get the PSWoo Cast Iron because it works with both the castiron grid and the regular stainless grid that comes with the egg.  One of the tricks with that woo is that you can put your stainless grid on the fire ring, then set the woo/plate setter/and extra grid on top of that.  Then you can slow smoke a large cut (like a prime rib) and then when it gets close to the temp you want, you can pull the meat, then pull the whole grid and platesetter out all at once.  Crank the heat, and sear the meat on the stainless grid that's still in the egg. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PorkRinds

I really wish they made the adjustable rig for the primo. That's the one drawback I've seen for them.  They come more versatike than an egg out of the box, but the egg has so many after market accessories that it ends up being the more versatile rig in that regard.  But my primo does everything I want/need it to.

Pulled(PP)pork

Local dealer sells the cast iron grate for $59, large egg

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 15, 2016, 09:25:10 am
Local dealer sells the cast iron grate for $59, large egg

PP

Thats about right. I think it has a five year warranty, too. Mine stays in my egg.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

colbs

What does everyone prefer the divider in the firebox or a half stone when grilling steaks, pork chops, etc?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: colbs on June 15, 2016, 01:03:15 pm
What does everyone prefer the divider in the firebox or a half stone when grilling steaks, pork chops, etc?

I've got a spider and a 13" sear grate I use for steaks. Drops them down right over the coals for high heat. With pork chops I cook them direct with no divider or stone.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 15, 2016, 02:39:56 pm
I've got a spider and a 13" sear grate I use for steaks. Drops them down right over the coals for high heat. With pork chops I cook them direct with no divider or stone.
and still.........no pictures

Turd!

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 16, 2016, 05:04:30 pm
and still.........no pictures

Turd!

PP

Haven't even fired it up since last I talked to you.  Rough week!!!!!!  Tonight.  for sure. 

PharmacistHog

PharmacistHog

If I want 275 (which my egg loves so thats my favorite) I have the bottom open about a quarter inch. Sometimes (and I dont know why-maybe airflow with more lump?) I have the top closed to only half a petal open, too. But all eggs are different, I think shag has to open his vents way more to get same temps as me but he's kinda dumb so you never know.

hoosier

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 08, 2016, 03:03:00 pm
Just threw a couple chickens on the egg. I guess this thread inspired me.

Just ordered me this accessory for my XL. Ordered on Monday and got it on Thursday. Can't wait to use it this weekend

Pulled(PP)pork

I finally got it....temps have been between 200-275 for nearly 7 hrs. The smell coming from my egg is eye-watering mmmmmm.

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 17, 2016, 08:52:20 am
I finally got it....temps have been between 200-275 for nearly 7 hrs. The smell coming from my egg is eye-watering mmmmmm.

PP

It should settle in at one temperature if you dont mess with the vents. Mine will stay within 10 degrees unless i begin to run outta lump.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 17, 2016, 09:00:39 am
It should settle in at one temperature if you dont mess with the vents. Mine will stay within 10 degrees unless i begin to run outta lump.
its been at 250 for the last 2hrs. I topped off the lump before starting.  Hope it lasts

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 17, 2016, 09:36:45 am
its been at 250 for the last 2hrs. I topped off the lump before starting.  Hope it lasts

PP

You're good now then. Sometimes it may slowly rise if the lump burns down and it gets more air but its slow when it does.

Pulled(PP)pork

PharmacistHog

Boog41

PP, I know this is gonna be a very dumb question, but what cut of meat is that? It looks like a couple of different kinds to me.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boog41 on June 17, 2016, 11:09:22 am
PP, I know this is gonna be a very dumb question, but what cut of meat is that? It looks like a couple of different kinds to me.
just a Boston pork butt

PP

Boog41

Ok.... I see a little red on the left hand end and it is shaped a lot like a huge ribeye. I just couldn't tell how big it was to know it was a butt.

Did you put it on fat side up?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boog41 on June 17, 2016, 01:29:24 pm
Ok.... I see a little red on the left hand end and it is shaped a lot like a huge ribeye. I just couldn't tell how big it was to know it was a butt.

Did you put it on fat side up?
i honestly don't remember......been drinking and it was 1am, lol

PP

PharmacistHog

PharmacistHog

Pulled(PP)pork

PharmacistHog

Boog41

Congrats Pulled. Tell us what you rubbed it with.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boog41 on June 17, 2016, 07:40:14 pm
Congrats Pulled. Tell us what you rubbed it with.
a friend of mine gave me a recipe....it Twas awesome   If I can figure out how to post pics saved to my phone......ugh

PP

PharmacistHog

I upload mine to photobucket and then copy and paste them here.

Pulled(PP)pork

1/2 cup paprika, turbinado sugar, brown sugar, salt, pepper, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 table spoons chili powder (ancho), 3 table spoons garlic powder, 3 tablespoons dried mustard.

PP

Boog41

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 17, 2016, 07:49:19 pm
1/2 cup paprika, turbinado sugar, brown sugar, salt, pepper, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 table spoons chili powder (ancho), 3 table spoons garlic powder, 3 tablespoons dried mustard.

PP

If you sub onion powder for that mustard, your rub is really close to Oklahoma Joe's in KC. That is what I use for my pork. I like the sweetness and don't care for cellery like many do.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boog41 on June 17, 2016, 07:52:58 pm
If you sub onion powder for that mustard, your rub is really close to Oklahoma Joe's in KC. That is what I use for my pork. I like the sweetness and don't care for cellery like many do.
will give that a try for the next mix

PP

Boog41

I'm gonna try the mustard. I love it. I sometimes even batter my catfish in it before the cornmeal for frying.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boog41 on June 17, 2016, 08:44:13 pm
I'm gonna try the mustard. I love it. I sometimes even batter my catfish in it before the cornmeal for frying.

I like coating pork butt with squeeze "butter" and then applying the rub. Kinda same idea as using mustard.

Boog41

Pharm, I was looking for squeeze butter last month and couldn't find any. Even tried WM supercenter.

PharmacistHog

Its like parkay or "you cant believe its not butter". I think last time my wife brought home the tub kind and I just scooped it out and rubbed it all on the pork butt.

PharmacistHog

I've even used leftover bacon grease. Yum!!!!

Boog41

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 17, 2016, 09:26:06 pm
I've even used leftover bacon grease. Yum!!!!

That's kinda gives me a woody!!  Gotta try it!

I saw the "can't believe it's not butter". Just didn't see real butter.

Pulled(PP)pork

PharmacistHog

Note to self, calibrate your damn thermometer. Mines always been on target. Got up early to light egg for a brisket and it just wasnt heating up like i thought it should. Pulled thermometer, into pan of boiling water, registered 50 degrees. Uh oh!  So I adjusted the nut on the back to read 212, then checked with thermapen.

Now we back to rockin with accurate temp. Guess I been turbo cooking everything lately.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 19, 2016, 07:32:39 am
Note to self, calibrate your damn thermometer. Mines always been on target. Got up early to light egg for a brisket and it just wasnt heating up like i thought it should. Pulled thermometer, into pan of boiling water, registered 50 degrees. Uh oh!  So I adjusted the nut on the back to read 212, then checked with thermapen.

Now we back to rockin with accurate temp. Guess I been turbo cooking everything lately.
dammit, I had to put a reminder in my phone to tighten the nuts every month....now this!

PP

PharmacistHog

Well Ive only adjusted it twice now since Ive had my egg. It can happen if you let it go nuclear accidentally of you have too much stuff on the grid and the thermometer pokes the meat or pan or whatever. Its a simple fix.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 19, 2016, 07:43:23 am
Well Ive only adjusted it twice now since Ive had my egg. It can happen if you let it go nuclear accidentally of you have too much stuff on the grid and the thermometer pokes the meat or pan or whatever. Its a simple fix.
a friend of mine got the bbq guru for fathers day, I asked if I could buy his used iGrill2 from him.....nope, he still uses that too.  I deleted him from my friends list
but, this wal-mart temp probe I bought is doing alright...

PP

PharmacistHog

Selfish bastard. Good job deleting him. Next time you are at his house dump some matchlight into his egg. That'll learn him.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 19, 2016, 07:51:01 am
Selfish bastard. Good job deleting him. Next time you are at his house dump some matchlight into his egg. That'll learn him.
Hell with matchlight, gonna spray it down with walmart brand lighter fluid, and drink all of his beer

PP

PharmacistHog

Taking "un-friending" to a whole new level.......

PharmacistHog

cooked a brisket for fathers day and made some burnt ends.  Best burnt ends I've ever cooked. 

Pulled(PP)pork

PonderinHog

Note to self - Be nice to PhamacistHog!