Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Southern College Towns bracket

Started by Razorback Homer, March 21, 2016, 12:01:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback Homer

Just happened across this poll and did not see it mentioned anywhere on the board. Fayetteville is currently trailing College Station in this round, so I thought that good ol' Hogville would want to give the Aggies a beat down in this poll.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/best-southern-college-towns-bracket
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

hogcard1964

Start voting!  We're down but it's tightening up.

Vantage 8 dude

March 21, 2016, 02:52:32 pm #2 Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:13:14 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: Razorback Homer on March 21, 2016, 12:01:11 pm
Just happened across this poll and did not see it mentioned anywhere on the board. Fayetteville is currently trailing College Station in this round, so I thought that good ol' Hogville would want to give the Aggies a beat down in this poll.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/best-southern-college-towns-bracket
Well if you can why not check out the post from yesterday posted in Dickson Street Tavern concerning a recent article by Business Insider that identified the top 24 places to live in the U.S.. All spots happen to be in the south, if you want to include Washington D.C. in that geographic area, and two of the spots in the top dozen happen to be #14 Little Rock and #2 Fayetteville. While there are four Texas locales-San Antonio, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and #1 Austin- not surprisingly College Station isn't even considered (wonder why). What a hole!!!!

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Snoutmaster

Razorbackers

I'm surprised people in College Station can lie to themselves this hard haha

10thPlanet

AirWarren

Nothing really "southern" about Fayetteville. But best of luck regardless.

bphi11ips

Quote from: AP85 on March 21, 2016, 04:33:25 pm

Fayetteville has a Midwest side to it, but it is basically southern.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Vantage 8 dude

Well in the case of the Business Insider article to which I alluded, neither are Tulsa, Okie City or Louisville, KY IMO but there you have it...........Besides, as we've seen over the past several months this is NOT the only study/rating that has listed Fayetteville amongst the top spots in the country, southern or otherwise.   

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Ramboar

Voted till it banned me, percentage never changed..RIGGED!!!
I'll be yo Huckleberry

sowmonella

52%-48%. Still down a bit. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.

GolfnHog

Voted but Fayetteville still down 49.6% to 50.9%.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Inhogswetrust

March 22, 2016, 07:40:27 pm #14 Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:09:13 am by Inhogswetrust

Same could be said for College Station and several other cities in the running. What does make a "college" town southern in your mind? I've been to almost all of them in my business and leisure travels. I promise you Clemson is more of a college town that Charlston. As a matter of fact it is more of a college town than several of the ones still in it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

geauxhawgs

And.........Another very confused soul as to where Arkansas is geographically.

sowmonella

AirWarren

Quote from: geauxhawgs on March 22, 2016, 08:37:31 pm
And.........Another very confused soul as to where Arkansas is geographically.

Confused. No. Fayetteville Arkansas is more of a Wichita Kansas type place than a "southern" place.

geauxhawgs

Quote from: AP85 on March 22, 2016, 09:00:47 pm
Confused. No. Fayetteville Arkansas is more of a Wichita Kansas type place than a "southern" place.

WOW

uncle bubs

The Boston Mountains have always been geographically isolated from the rest of the state. It's uniquely southern, Midwestern influenced by its close proximity to Missouri, and has southern mountain culture. Fayetteville is different and awesome. Unfortunately due to economic and corporate growth, you're gonna have a lot of transplants who can change the culture over time. It is what it is. So yes, Fayetteville is obviously a southern town due to it's place on the map, but it's a different kind of southern.

Let's look at Nashville, TN. I've lived here for almost 5 years. Nashville proper is a cultural melting pot. You'll meet the most southern dudes ever, then it'll feel like all you see are Midwesterners or folks from the west coast for a time. Get out of Nashville proper and it feels more like Tennessee to an extent. That's how I see Fayetteville on a much smaller scale. But hang out in Huntsville or West Fork and it's a whole other ball game.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

uncle bubs

Also, I've spent a lot of time in the Midwest as a touring musician and, for what it's worth, Fayetteville would be lying if it claimed to be Midwestern. It's not too far off from some sort of a Midwestern culture, but it certainly ain't there. It's kind of in a league of its own in my opinion.

LZH

Down here, when I mention that my daughter goes to the U of A most everyone says "Alabama?". Or when we are talking about the weather and it's 75 degrees down here and I say "well it's 45 in Fayetteville", they say "North Carolina?".

Cinco de Hogo

March 23, 2016, 05:37:27 am #22 Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:53:10 am by Cinco de Hogo
We are mid-southern!

Well if you can be Mid-western why not?

There is no place in Texass that considers itself southern, they all think western, but they are southwestern.

You should be at least west of the Mississippi River to be considered western but that's not the case. 

Would we be south of the Mason Dixon Line if it extended through Arkansas?  The answer is yes we would.

rljjr

Have you ever lived outside the South? Just curious.

Inhogswetrust

Obviously you don't know a thing about geography either physical or human.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Steef

Quote from: LZH on March 23, 2016, 03:03:37 am
Down here, when I mention that my daughter goes to the U of A most everyone says "Alabama?". Or when we are talking about the weather and it's 75 degrees down here and I say "well it's 45 in Fayetteville", they say "North Carolina?".

You should try living in No Car. (I do). Fayetteville, NC is a military town. If I mention the word, I get "oh, is your (son, grandson) in the military?"

And "hogs" are for slow cooking, whole. (which, btw...is amazingly delicious...but then I get teased about eating my own)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: uncle bubs on March 23, 2016, 12:28:31 am
The Boston Mountains have always been geographically isolated from the rest of the state. It's uniquely southern, Midwestern influenced by its close proximity to Missouri, and has southern mountain culture. Fayetteville is different and awesome. Unfortunately due to economic and corporate growth, you're gonna have a lot of transplants who can change the culture over time. It is what it is. So yes, Fayetteville is obviously a southern town due to it's place on the map, but it's a different kind of southern.

Let's look at Nashville, TN. I've lived here for almost 5 years. Nashville proper is a cultural melting pot. You'll meet the most southern dudes ever, then it'll feel like all you see are Midwesterners or folks from the west coast for a time. Get out of Nashville proper and it feels more like Tennessee to an extent. That's how I see Fayetteville on a much smaller scale. But hang out in Huntsville or West Fork and it's a whole other ball game.

There is some truth in that post. As far as Nashville and Fayetteville being "similar" the same could be said of other cities in the south but located in hills or close to other states borders that border the "old south". Being southern does not exclusively belong to the old plantation row crop farming south areas. Some if not most cultural differences today, and it has been for a while, are between city versus rural instead of geographic location. That was a point made even by professors I had at both UCA and the UA even way back into the late 70's and early 80's. Four classes in particular touched on it: Human Geography, Physical Geography, History and Consumer Behavior. 

Inhogswetrust

I've worked in Fayetteville, NC. It is an arm pit! Sorry Steef. I wouldn't want to live there long-term unless it's changed in the last eighteen years.

Steef

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2016, 06:59:38 am
I've worked in Fayetteville, NC. It is an arm pit! Sorry Steef. I wouldn't want to live there long-term unless it's changed in the last eighteen years.

I don't live in Fayetteville. I live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns. It's gorgeous here.

Fayetteville IS an armpit. Cheap bars and pawn shops.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: rljjr on March 23, 2016, 06:34:01 am
Have you ever lived outside the South? Just curious.

You do know that it's just a matter of how far south or how far north you want to go?

For instance we are more similar to Wichita than we are to Charlston, SC.

sowmonella

Cinco de Hogo

If you had rather go to college station than Fayetteville to watch a team play there is something seriously wrong with you. JMO

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Steef on March 23, 2016, 07:31:52 am
I don't live in Fayetteville. I live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns. It's gorgeous here.

what the hell is wrong with cheap bars??

PP

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bob slydell

Much more southern than Annapolis, MD.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Razorbackers on March 21, 2016, 03:41:34 pm
I'm surprised people in College Station can lie to themselves this hard haha

College Station?? Have these voters ever been to Fayetteville and/or College Station?? Who's next in the bracket...Starkville??
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ricepig

You can't fix stupid.

ricepig

Quote from: Steef on March 23, 2016, 07:31:52 am

We're talking about Fayetteville, Arkansas, not Fayetteville, N.C.

Steef

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2016, 10:19:27 am
We're talking about Fayetteville, Arkansas, not Fayetteville, N.C.

An innocent derailment that i followed up on.

But thanks for keeping me straight.

DLUXHOG

delete/clear your cookies and you can vote more than once a day........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Razorback Homer

Not sure if the Aggies have a script running or not, but the trend of Fayetteville closing the gap on College Station has changed and College Station's lead is starting to increase.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Razorback Homer on March 23, 2016, 01:07:45 pm
Not sure if the Aggies have a script running or not, but the trend of Fayetteville closing the gap on College Station has changed and College Station's lead is starting to increase.
I'm betting they have a script running............

farhog

DLUXHOG

I'll bet they have a script running.... I voted something like 15 times and saw the percentage slide to 51.85 - 48.15%... only to log on a few seconds later and see that it went back to 52%-48%.......    Have any of you been to College Station?   I have, several times and I think it is a sh*thole compared to Fayetteville and NWA (by astronomical light year proportions)...........   I just don't get the love that College Station is getting on this website........

LZH

Quote from: Steef on March 23, 2016, 06:49:47 am
You should try living in No Car. (I do). Fayetteville, NC is a military town. If I mention the word, I get "oh, is your (son, grandson) in the military?"

And "hogs" are for slow cooking, whole. (which, btw...is amazingly delicious...but then I get teased about eating my own)

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2016, 06:59:38 am

Our Fayetteville is a nice college town and depending on which magazine you read, the 2nd or 3rd best place to live in the entire country (yeah, I know....the whole USA). And while I I'm absolutely crazy about Southwest Florida, and honestly have never been enamored with the Hill Country of Northwest Arkansas, my daughter absolutely loves it - and I do agree it is a very very nice place.

But that campus is a place I hadn't been to in eons...other than ball games. The last two times I have been up to see my baby girl, I have spent quite a bit of time walking around campus and I'm shocked at how neat it is. It has come a long way since my heyday. I'll tell you something else, I'm on all three major campuses here in Florida nearly every other week and while Miami is really nice, Florida State and the UF campus in Gainesville are nothing special at all. Very big, and very plain.

I guess my point is that it's a shame our Fayetteville isn't more widely appreciated. It is nearing the top 100 largest US metropolitan areas, and apparently beats the hell out of it's sister town in North Carolina. And the UA campus is comparable to most other SEC schools. Maybe as the area and the school grows, more people nationally will take notice.

NaturalStateReb

Certainly no less Southern than College Station, Texas.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Vantage 8 dude

Just goes to prove once again that ignorance is universal.  :D ;) 8) :o

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LZH on March 23, 2016, 01:56:24 pm
Our Fayetteville is a nice college town and depending on which magazine you read, the 2nd or 3rd best place to live in the entire country (yeah, I know....the whole USA). And while I I'm absolutely crazy about Southwest Florida, and honestly have never been enamored with the Hill Country of Northwest Arkansas, my daughter absolutely loves it - and I do agree it is a very very nice place.

But that campus is a place I hadn't been to in eons...other than ball games. The last two times I have been up to see my baby girl, I have spent quite a bit of time walking around campus and I'm shocked at how neat it is. It has come a long way since my heyday. I'll tell you something else, I'm on all three major campuses here in Florida nearly every other week and while Miami is really nice, Florida State and the UF campus in Gainesville are nothing special at all. Very big, and very plain.

I guess my point is that it's a shame our Fayetteville isn't more widely appreciated. It is nearing the top 100 largest US metropolitan areas, and apparently beats the hell out of it's sister town in North Carolina. And the UA campus is comparable to most other SEC schools. Maybe as the area and the school grows, more people nationally will take notice.
I see what you're saying and agree to a certain extent. However, as many of my clients from up north and the upper midwest have constantly reminded me Arkansas is an incredible secret. They'd prefer we never let the story out. I then remind them that as a native Arkansan while I appreciate they're comments and praise, they're some of the same folks who have benefited from the state not being totally "off the radar".  8) :D

uncle bubs

Exactly. Many of my friends from back in Fayetteville are from somewhere else. They are some of the best friends I've ever had, but they do contribute to NWA losing some of its identity. It's a double edged sword, but one I'm happy to have!

Birminghog

In the 'ham, when most folks (especially Bama alums) talk about Bama and don't call it Bama, they tend to call it UA, not U of A. In my thinking, that would leave U of A designation to Arkansas.