Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Javon Franklin

Started by Razorod, February 22, 2016, 07:34:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Assuming there is a spot to fill for 2017 after Gafford and Hall, do we want A) Franklin, B) a big man, or C) a good guard (will be losing 5 over the next two years)?

Just want to check the pulse here. Personally, I can't decide.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2016, 01:17:53 pm
Assuming there is a spot to fill for 2017 after Gafford and Hall, do we want A) Franklin, B) a big man, or C) a good guard (will be losing 5 over the next two years)?

I would go with a guard. I think we are going to have to hit the JUCO's hard again in the 2018 class. Would be good to have a guard in for a year to develop before the mass exodus hits in 2018.

Razorod

Is Brandon Rachal's game/position different than Hall's? Would we offer him as well? To me, from what little is out there on him, he might be more of a point guard. Seems to handle the ball quite a bit and distributes it well.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The Hogfather

I know this is a not about Javon Franklin, but since you asked about guards.....

What was the deal with Shawn Williams of Maumelle.  I know he's not overly tall, but he looked really good from the clips I saw and he can really shoot the 3.  I think I read he is headed to East Carolina?

Razorod

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2016, 01:17:53 pm

May be determined by who we sign this spring, if anybody. If we do get one (or possibly both) of the bigs we've been associated with, we may have only two scholarships to give (if we use Manny's) or may not need another big in the 2017 class.

orgkeith

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 15, 2016, 02:03:53 pm
I know this is a not about Javon Franklin, but since you asked about guards.....

What was the deal with Shawn Williams of Maumelle.  I know he's not overly tall, but he looked really good from the clips I saw and he can really shoot the 3.  I think I read he is headed to East Carolina?
Saw him last year and he was small and slight and not explosive.  Saw him at the state tournament and the kid has really filled out and is explosive.  Big transformation, but the kid has been jumping from one school to another.  Left Little Rock and played as a soph for Prime Prep in Texas.  Transferred back to a Little Rock High School, then to Southwest Prep in LR and now to Maumelle.  Not a good sign.  He and Andre Jones shocked me last weekend.  Would love it if they both went Juco and were available in a couple years.

The Hogfather

Quote from: orgkeith on March 15, 2016, 02:57:30 pm
Saw him last year and he was small and slight and not explosive.  Saw him at the state tournament and the kid has really filled out and is explosive.  Big transformation, but the kid has been jumping from one school to another.  Left Little Rock and played as a soph for Prime Prep in Texas.  Transferred back to a Little Rock High School, then to Southwest Prep in LR and now to Maumelle.  Not a good sign.  He and Andre Jones shocked me last weekend.  Would love it if they both went Juco and were available in a couple years.

Yeah, some of the videos I saw of him recently made me wonder why he didn't get a look.  I could tell he wasn't very tall, but as I said, he looked athletic enough and could shoot from anywhere.

Razorod

Franklin (hybrid forward), along with SK Shittu (PF/C) and Brandon Rachal (combo guard?), appear to be the names linked to the Hogs the most. Anyone know who the Hogs are most serious about and who they are most likely to target with the one remaining scholarship? (Assuming they don't use Watkins' this spring.)

hogwood

Quote from: Razorod on March 15, 2016, 02:01:00 pm
Is Brandon Rachal's game/position different than Hall's? Would we offer him as well? To me, from what little is out there on him, he might be more of a point guard. Seems to handle the ball quite a bit and distributes it well.

He is a combo-guard. Can distribute and play from the wing. Different than Hall.

hei5manhog

Saw him play with team penny today. He looks the part. Does Henderson have twitter?
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

MuyBElla12

Javon Plays For Team Penny Elite for AAU ball...

songofthesword

Unless  hs grows 2 or 3 inches in the next year he wonot get an offer

He is in real life .  6'4 tops Henderson has a good  2 inches o. Him and Henderson is 6''6 -6'7.  He doesn't have the ball skills to play on the wing in high level  D 1.

He's a guy that thought he was going to keep growing ND didnt 

songofthesword

if you went and watched every basketball team in the state lay basketball y ou'd find...at the very least, 20-25 and probably closer to 35-40 kids that you could see play ing for the hogs.  but there are other reasons why a kid might not be recruited.  my senior year of high school we played probably...6 kids that it was clear had the athletic ability  to play sec basketball and none got scholorships that year. one of them was on our team (Bam Doyne, played for ole miss, didnt' get a scholly because brewer was in the same class), one DID eventually end up at Arkansas (Sonny Weems, grades, but it was clear within 5 mins he was an elite athete and event hopugh we had an SEC athlete on our teaq, had no answer for him). some guys don't project well to the position they will be required to play. some dont' have grades. etc.  Javon doesnt' project as a wing forward in the SEC his ball handling ands hooting is no where close to where it needs to be.  he's a post player.

everyone wants to know why we offered Gafford and not franklin. Franklin is a better pure athlete than Gafford but gafford is damn near halfa  foot taller than Franklin lol and still growing.  Franklin wont' get any bigger than he is now and is playing out of position

intelligence

brother song, i always appreciate your posts, but could you try to pay better attention. sometimes you make so many punctuation mistakes your posts are hard to read. +1 anyway for your valuable contributions

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: intelligence on April 06, 2016, 07:34:14 pm
brother song, i always appreciate your posts, but could you try to pay better attention. sometimes you make so many punctuation mistakes your posts are hard to read. +1 anyway for your valuable contributions

I had to laugh at this one. I doubt that a layer of condescension this thick will go down well without a couple of beers to wash it down. I hope you never feel the need to compliment me. I probably don't have to worry about that  though. It is well known on here that everyone hates me (says two people). By the way, I like most of your posts so don't get your dander up.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 07, 2016, 10:59:08 am
I had to laugh at this one. I doubt that a layer of condescension this thick will go down well without a couple of beers to wash it down. I hope you never feel the need to compliment me. I probably don't have to worry about that  though. It is well known on here that everyone hates me (says two people). By the way, I like most of your posts so don't get your dander up.

Quote from: songofthesword on April 06, 2016, 05:56:00 pm
He is in real life .  6'4 tops Henderson has a good  2 inches o. Him and Henderson is 6''6 -6'7.  He doesn't have the ball skills to play on the wing in high level  D 1.

TomBigBeeHog

I get it Ice. I have seen the postings. Ok. When do we do the group intervention or is this it already?  ;D
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

wheelspigharvey

Proofreading is for wimps.

The_Iceman

Javon reports offers from both Arkansas and UALR.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 07, 2016, 01:38:43 pm
Javon reports offers from both Arkansas and UALR.

A total of 2 offers... Man, just take the Arkansas offer.

batmanfan

247 sports rankings are kinda hard to read for me, but looks like they have moved him up to no.140 in the recent update.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Hawg Red

Quote from: batmanfan on July 14, 2016, 08:47:17 am
247 sports rankings are kinda hard to read for me, but looks like they have moved him up to no.140 in the recent update.

His composite ranking is #140, which means other sites are higher on him than 247. They have him ranked at #201. It took me a minute to figure this out, too. You're right that their rankings can be a bit confusing. I'm also confused where the composite ranking of #140 is coming from when he is unranked by Rivals and doesn't have a Scout or ESPN profile. A few days ago, he was not ranked by 247, either.

hei5manhog

Are we slowplaying him at all? Is it contingent on Khalil signing also? Seems like he'd commit with only the two offers. Or maybe he's trying to get more offers.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

mhuff

Quote from: hei5manhog on July 15, 2016, 08:48:36 am
Are we slowplaying him at all? Is it contingent on Khalil signing also? Seems like he'd commit with only the two offers. Or maybe he's trying to get more offers.

Figure it out. We have to get the best player possible .  I feel like they have been up front with him.

FineAsSwine

Stop drinking and posting

Hogberry Snortcake

That post I won't quote probably needs to go away. 

Pig in the Pokey

sign khalil and javon and call it a day. Why is this hard?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 16, 2016, 01:27:53 pm
sign khalil and javon and call it a day. Why is this hard?

Because we may have a shot at Garrison Brooks???

Pig in the Pokey

well, first part done.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HardingHog

Even though most everyone on here, myself included, wants one of the bigger bodied post players we're after for 2017, it looks like some of our commits are trying to get Javon on board still:

https://twitter.com/_justicehill/status/772956189617369088

https://twitter.com/javonhooping/status/772970123493724160

https://twitter.com/k_garland3/status/772970364100108292

I'll be honest and say that I haven't thought about Franklin in a while, but if we don't get Brooks or Enoh then I wouldn't be opposed to Franklin. However, he is another tweener positionally

Hawg Red

I would not fuss at all if we finished the class out with Franklin. Even if there is a slightly better fit available and in the running, it would be awesome to lock up an entire class comprising the top 4 in-state players.

Swinesong1

Quote from: HardingHog on September 06, 2016, 02:58:51 pm
Even though most everyone on here, myself included, wants one of the bigger bodied post players we're after for 2017, it looks like some of our commits are trying to get Javon on board still:

https://twitter.com/_justicehill/status/772956189617369088

https://twitter.com/javonhooping/status/772970123493724160

https://twitter.com/k_garland3/status/772970364100108292

I'll be honest and say that I haven't thought about Franklin in a while, but if we don't get Brooks or Enoh then I wouldn't be opposed to Franklin. However, he is another tweener positionally
RD said Brooks is no longer an option.  Apparently, he's afraid of the 2017 and 2018 classes.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

orgkeith

Juco is the word.  Recruit him in a couple of years.

NWAHog479

Sorry I know this is an old post, but saw that one had already been made for him. Any update on this kid? Who's looking at him/How tall is he actually/If you have seen him play what are your thoughts on his game and if he'd be a good fit here at Arkansas. Thanks.

Kevin McPherson

Javon Franklin is a legit 6-6, which is undersized for an interior player at high-major level, but he has elite athleticism. Needs to work on handles and mid-range shot. He told me that Arkansas and UALR are the 2 schools he is looking at. Juco is the word, but I think the Hogs want him and would give him the 4th scholarship for 2017 in the spring if he can qualify. I think he is a fantastic player and would be an excellent addition to the Hogs.

Hollywood870

Is he a legit 6'6? Corliss was 6'5. Alonzo Lane was 6'4.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 08, 2016, 11:24:16 pm

His Parkview teammate, Khalil Garland, was measured at the Nike Basketball Academy back in July at 6-5 flat, and Franklin is at least an inch taller ... so yeah, I'd say he's a legit 6-6.

HardingHog

Quote from: NWAHog479 on December 08, 2016, 03:44:31 pm
Sorry I know this is an old post, but saw that one had already been made for him. Any update on this kid? Who's looking at him/How tall is he actually/If you have seen him play what are your thoughts on his game and if he'd be a good fit here at Arkansas. Thanks.

I've only seen stats and video clips from HOGday, and I'm not sure how many of his skills will translate to the next level but that kid has a serious motor and is a FREAK athlete.

Would I be correct in comparing to Adrio Bailey? They seem to have similar measurables and roles on their HS teams, plus both are ridiculous leapers

The_Iceman

Quote from: HardingHog on December 09, 2016, 01:09:13 am
I've only seen stats and video clips from HOGday, and I'm not sure how many of his skills will translate to the next level but that kid has a serious motor and is a FREAK athlete.

Would I be correct in comparing to Adrio Bailey? They seem to have similar measurables and roles on their HS teams, plus both are ridiculous leapers

Skills sets are similar. Bailey is thick which Franklin is lean.

hogwood

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 08, 2016, 11:24:16 pm

Corliss and Alonzo were both 6'7".

They should not be compared though because Franklin is not a big.

klp1

Is he a 3 at next level or 3/4 combo?

Hawg Red

Quote from: klp1 on December 09, 2016, 12:50:20 pm
Is he a 3 at next level or 3/4 combo?

More of a 4 because he does not have the skills to be a 3.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: hogwood on December 09, 2016, 11:08:20 am
Corliss and Alonzo were both 6'7".

They should not be compared though because Franklin is not a big.

Corliss and Alonzo were listed at 6'7" neither were a legit 6'7"

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on December 09, 2016, 03:31:50 pm
Corliss and Alonzo were listed at 6'7" neither were a legit 6'7"

If Alonzo were 6'7", he would have been All-SEC.

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 09, 2016, 01:32:44 pm
More of a 4 because he does not have the skills to be a 3.

Qualls started off as a small 4 here, then developed his outside shot. Javon could do the same. Worth a scholarship.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 09, 2016, 04:47:50 pm
If Alonzo were 6'7", he would have been All-SEC.

That is true.  Still one of my favorite Razorbacks of all time