Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Javon Franklin

Started by Razorod, February 22, 2016, 07:34:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hogwood on December 09, 2016, 11:08:20 am
Corliss and Alonzo were both 6'7".

They should not be compared though because Franklin is not a big.

I'm 6/5 and actually played against Corliss. He's maybe 6/5 and 1/2 but we were the same height.

Hawg Red

Corliss measured 6'5 1/2 without shoes pre-draft in '95. That puts him 6'6 1/2 in shoes, so there's where the 6'7 listing comes from.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 27, 2017, 08:26:06 pm
Corliss measured 6'5 1/2 without shoes pre-draft in '95. That puts him 6'6 1/2 in shoes, so there's where the 6'7 listing comes from.

Ok I can see this.

Youngsta71701

We have to find a way to get this guy on the hill. Even if he has to go the JUCO route. His potential is off the charts. He might be one of the most explosive players to ever come through Arkansas. And he looks like a basketball player not just an athlete.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The_Iceman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 02, 2017, 01:35:23 pm
We have to find a way to get this guy on the hill. Even if he has to go the JUCO route. His potential is off the charts. He might be one of the most explosive players to ever come through Arkansas. And he looks like a basketball player not just an athlete.

100% agree. I don't want to miss out on the next Michael Qualls. He is an explosive playmaker and has amazing athleticism.

He needs to be a hog.

Hawg Red

Watching the Hogs play last night makes you really appreciate what Franklin could bring athletically. But 2019 (assuming he goes JUCO) is going to be a tight squeeze as is, nevermind adding a second player. I'd rather have Franklin over Perry as a JUCO in 2019, though.

Ccwaziya

Franklin high school coach recently said He is only recently just receiving JC Schools phone calls asking about Javon

The_Iceman

Quote from: Ccwaziya on March 03, 2017, 09:00:57 am
Franklin high school coach recently said He is only recently just receiving JC Schools phone calls asking about Javon

And there is likely a good reason for that. If he had the grades, he'd be signed with Arkansas right now.

ballinhog

Is there any chance at all that Javon could be eligible next year? Is it a wait and see but doesn't look good or is he pretty much juco bound for sure?

RealHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 14, 2016, 07:58:28 am
I want to see what Javon does in summer basketball.

Franklins a senior in HS. You don't play summer ball after HS.

azhog10

Quote from: RealHog on March 13, 2017, 07:52:52 pm
Franklins a senior in HS. You don't play summer ball after HS.
Plenty of unsigned seniors/graduating seniors play this spring and summer. Happens for those that are unsigned.

Swinesong1

Quote from: azhog10 on March 13, 2017, 08:24:34 pm
Plenty of unsigned seniors/graduating seniors play this spring and summer. Happens for those that are unsigned.
I remember Pookie Modica playing the summer circuit as a graduating Sr with the Hawks.

labb

Per most he is JC bound due to grades.

RealHog

Quote from: azhog10 on March 13, 2017, 08:24:34 pm

Oh, didn't know that. Well hopefully someone can take him under his wing and help him get the tools he needs to be D1

The_Bionic_Pig

Allow him to develop in JUCO then rejoin his teamates in 2019.  + if Zhaire Smith accepts our scholarship offer we are done (out of 2017 scholarship's)

Bailey + Smith + Franklin make's me believe this would be the most athletic SF/PF group of player's Arkansas could have on one roster ever. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

daprospecta

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 14, 2017, 05:49:16 pm
Allow him to develop in JUCO then rejoin his teamates in 2019.  + if Zhaire Smith accepts our scholarship offer we are done (out of 2017 scholarship's)

Bailey + Smith + Franklin make's me believe this would be the most athletic SF/PF group of player's Arkansas could have on one roster ever. 
FGCU would have to relinquish the term dunk city.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: labb on March 13, 2017, 09:37:55 pm
Per most he is JC bound due to grades.

Unfortunately, he's been JC bound since the fall. There's no doubt he has the talent to play high DI. I hope he takes care of business and we're talking about him in a couple of years.

FineAsSwine

Couldn't he go to prep school for a year and still have four years eligibility left?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 15, 2017, 10:16:17 am
Couldn't he go to prep school for a year and still have four years eligibility left?

I read somewhere that you can no longer use prep schools to replace bad grades to improve gpa as was done in the past. You can still go while you improve your sat or act score or to sit out and develop further.

If you don't have the gpa by the time you graduate, then you have to go juco.

We will start seeing juco recruit quality rise as a result. It should help non blue blood schools close the gap as some of these kids have been able to go to prep schools and qualify get recruited by schools that would never otherwise stoop to taking a juco recruit.

Hawg Red

FWIW, Aaron Ross went to prep school for a year to improve his ACT score. He had a good GPA in high school. Not sure how long that rule has been in place, but that's what happened with Ross.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 12:38:46 pm
FWIW, Aaron Ross went to prep school for a year to improve his ACT score. He had a good GPA in high school. Not sure how long that rule has been in place, but that's what happened with Ross.

Went into effect in 2016.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 15, 2017, 12:49:52 pm
I assume Arkansas has interest and would be a possibility to add him in 2 years granted everything goes well and he develops where they would like him to be?

Definitely see them keeping an eye on him. A lot can happen in two years as far as needs and spots available.

hogman99

Saw Parkview play a few times this year and Franklin is much better than Garland and Henderson and it isn't even close.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogman99 on March 15, 2017, 01:41:59 pm
Saw Parkview play a few times this year and Franklin is much better than Garland and Henderson and it isn't even close.

Better than Henderson? Yes. Better than Garland? No. Good thing is that Henderson has another year and is ready to step into a bigger role now that Franklin and Garland are leaving.

labb

I have only seen Parkview play once and that was in the State Finals. Franklin stood out over the two and it was not even close. Kid can jump out of the gym. There was one block he had where I know his head was above the rim.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 17, 2017, 07:08:39 pm
Better than Henderson? Yes. Better than Garland? No. Good thing is that Henderson has another year and is ready to step into a bigger role now that Franklin and Garland are leaving.

This. If you go off spring/summer play when guys play better competition than what they see in HS, Henderson had a strong campaign in 2016.  He was impressive at the Adidas Global Nations event in Anaheim in late July, early August when the best of the best seniorrs-to-be and juniors-to-be from Nike, Adidas, and Under Armor all convereged for round-robin play.

Ethan has a ways to go in development, but he has shown well numerous times. And in some of Parkview's toughest games and player match-ups this season, Henderson had some of his best games. Encouraging!

The_Bionic_Pig

March 18, 2017, 11:06:55 pm #176 Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:31:16 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
Quote from: hogman99 on March 15, 2017, 01:41:59 pm

First of all the 6'6 & 170lbs Javon Franklin is a great explosive athlete but has the shooting range of 5-10' (interior) which equates to being a major offensive liability (see Cook & Thomas) outside of 15' extended.

If he ever develops a outside shot and decent dribbling skills with much needed added weight he can make a impact day 1 at a power 5 program preferability Arkansas.

Henderson is already built like a NBA PF but only shows flashes of his explosive athleticism in pre-warmups & garbage pts but too often defers to his teamates and has never been the focal point of a offensive set.

At Arkansas Mike intends on forcing the issue with lots of 1on1 development with coaches and repetitive offensive drills to maximize his potential.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

logic

Quote from: RUN N GUN on February 25, 2016, 03:32:09 pm
It's all politics around Arkansas and the AAU programs who only look out for their kids ..but he will get a lot more looks this summer because I hear his former AAU team is now a NIke sponsored team so he will be playing in a lot of major tournaments this year...and also guys like Ron Crawford and Bill Ingrahm dnt speak of him when college coaches call them because he doesn't play for their organizations...
No doubt politics plays a minor roll in that a player's rating might be shifted up or down slightly. However, any truly outstanding player; the type that should be in the top 20 will be found even if don't play for AAU type or Nike type teams or even it they don't go to summer coaches clinics and play for a very small high school.

RealHog

IS JF going to attend any Jr college or anything? The only news info I find about a Javon Franklin in LR I hope is not him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: RealHog on August 25, 2017, 11:48:06 am
IS JF going to attend any Jr college or anything? The only news info I find about a Javon Franklin in LR I hope is not him.

He's attending Holmes Community College in Mississippi (same school Daryl Macon and Dayshawn Watkins attended).