Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Javon Franklin

Started by Razorod, February 22, 2016, 07:34:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

What are the thoughts on him for the 2017 class? Is he good enough to receive an offer or just a bit too small for the hybrid forward position?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Razorpigg

I think hes plenty good enough to play at UA.   

Hawg Red

No profile on any of the major recruiting services.

Razorod

I find it curious that there is so little info on him. He plays at a significant hs program and has impressive stats.

Razorod

Quote from: Razorpigg on February 23, 2016, 03:21:59 pm
I think hes plenty good enough to play at UA.   
Have you seen him play? If so, can you describe his game? Height? Maybe somebody he reminds you of? Just curious, because I've heard very good things about him, but really can't find much on him. He seems to be a good fit for a pressing style of play like CMA runs.

poloprince

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 23, 2016, 03:25:37 pm
No profile on any of the major recruiting services.

He's Macon-like
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

RUN N GUN

He's the most athletic kid in the class of 2017...going up against Arkansas commit daniel gafford last week at parkview in front of mike anderson, he out played him and had everybody buzzin about why Arkansas hasn't offered him. But it's been said that Arkansas may offer him this summer.

Hawg Red

Quote from: RUN N GUN on February 25, 2016, 12:39:36 pm
He's the most athletic kid in the class of 2017...going up against Arkansas commit daniel gafford last week at parkview in front of mike anderson, he out played him and had everybody buzzin about why Arkansas hasn't offered him. But it's been said that Arkansas may offer him this summer.

Were they guarding each other?

RUN N GUN

Quote from: Razorod on February 23, 2016, 03:32:37 pm
Have you seen him play? If so, can you describe his game? Height? Maybe somebody he reminds you of? Just curious, because I've heard very good things about him, but really can't find much on him. He seems to be a good fit for a pressing style of play like CMA runs.

He's a more athletic and taller version of Michael Qualls perfect fit for Anderson system.

Hawg Red

Quote from: RUN N GUN on February 25, 2016, 12:41:11 pm
He's a more athletic and taller version of Michael Qualls perfect fit for Anderson system.

Why aren't the recruiting services paying a lick of attention to him?

poloprince

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 25, 2016, 12:40:38 pm

No they were not. Flanigan started a 230 LB guy on Gafford and his reserve is 220 lbs. Flanigan is a good coach he was going to make someone else beat them.
$PoLoPrInCe$

RUN N GUN

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 25, 2016, 12:40:38 pm
Actually Gafford at 6'10 was guarded by parkviews point guard Ryan Pip who signed with UALR and he's only 6'2 maybe and bullied him the whole game..they maybe guarded each other a few times and they both tried to dunk on each other with them meeting at the rim and falling on their backs...

poloprince

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 25, 2016, 12:41:50 pm
Why aren't the recruiting services paying a lick of attention to him?

He's Aaron Ross-like
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on February 25, 2016, 12:54:36 pm
He's Aaron Ross-like

Aaron Ross was always ranked. That ranking dropped, but he was still always known and ranked by the major services.

Razorod

yraciv

Does he not play with a good AAU program? Still curious how someone perceived to be this good, in a major city, could go unnoticed.

RUN N GUN

Quote from: yraciv on February 25, 2016, 02:10:05 pm
Does he not play with a good AAU program? Still curious how someone perceived to be this good, in a major city, could go unnoticed.

It's all politics around Arkansas and the AAU programs who only look out for their kids ..but he will get a lot more looks this summer because I hear his former AAU team is now a NIke sponsored team so he will be playing in a lot of major tournaments this year...and also guys like Ron Crawford and Bill Ingrahm dnt speak of him when college coaches call them because he doesn't play for their organizations...

yraciv

Quote from: RUN N GUN on February 25, 2016, 03:32:09 pm
It's all politics around Arkansas and the AAU programs who only look out for their kids ..but he will get a lot more looks this summer because I hear his former AAU team is now a NIke sponsored team so he will be playing in a lot of major tournaments this year...and also guys like Ron Crawford and Bill Ingrahm dnt speak of him when college coaches call them because he doesn't play for their organizations...

It makes perfect sense. If you aren't on a sponsored AAU team, you aren't in the big name tournaments so the 247, rivals, and ESPN guys aren't going to see you.  I'm very familiar with those next level tournaments, and have seen future D1 players at them but to peak the interest AAU is important  If he is as good as you are saying and he is at Parkview, he has most likely been pursued by the premeir AAU teams. Now maybe he has been playing with the same team since he was young and doesn't want to change, which if they start going to bigger tournaments can help but of course Hawks & Wings would help more. They are used to putting guys in college.

Perfect example was Jason Henry from West Memphis.  He played for a team called the Arkansas Angels all the way through.  They were not known on the AAU circuit and played smaller tournaments in his younger years.  They started getting some run in major tournaments after getting sponsored, he was a 1 man show, and earned some major offers after that.  Maybe that is Javon's path, but ideally with a better college experience.

Jonteviosk

Not trying to hijack the thread but whatever happened to Jason Henry he left after freshman season and declared for the draft...didn't get drafted and then disappeared off the face of the earth.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

azhog10

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 26, 2016, 02:05:55 pm
Not trying to hijack the thread but whatever happened to Jason Henry he left after freshman season and declared for the draft...didn't get drafted and then disappeared off the face of the earth.
Think he was arrested for running a prostitution ring in NWA.

-Blu

This site that ranks the current Arkansas players has Franklin as the 3rd highest ranked junior.  I've been starting to hear good stuff about him as well.

http://arkansasbasketballrankings.com/fab-40-boys-athletes/

And that Parkview team he plays for is just stacked.  Current D1 caliber players they have....

Ryan Pippen
Khalil Garland
Javon Franklin
Ethan Henderson

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: -Blu on February 26, 2016, 11:41:11 pm
This site that ranks the current Arkansas players has Franklin as the 3rd highest ranked junior.  I've been starting to hear good stuff about him as well.

And that Parkview team he plays for is just stacked.  Current D1 caliber players they have....

Ryan Pippen
Khalil Garland
Javon Franklin
Ethan Henderson

I see two names on that list that I want already. Pippen and Franklin, I hadn't heard much about.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Letsroll1200

Quote from: -Blu on February 26, 2016, 11:41:11 pm

Ryan Pippen
Khalil Garland
Javon Franklin
Ethan Henderson

Mike Anderson and Coach Watkins attended the Eldorado and Parkview game last week. I know that they are actively on one of the guys listed.

Razorod

I assume that would be Ethan Henderson. Is that who you are referring to?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Razorod on February 27, 2016, 06:36:30 am
I assume that would be Ethan Henderson. Is that who you are referring to?

I'm not going to name drop but this staff is working.

ricepig

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 27, 2016, 12:44:41 am
I see two names on that list that I want already. Pippen and Franklin, I hadn't heard much about.
Pippins is committed to UALR. If both teams win next Friday, they'll play Jonesboro Saturday night at 7:30 in Russellville. Unfortunately, it will be in the semi-finals, due to the conference's setups.

Razorod

I don't get the need for secrecy.

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

yraciv

Quote from: azhog10 on February 26, 2016, 10:56:45 pm
Think he was arrested for running a prostitution ring in NWA.

Best I can tell guy never played again other than minor pro ball. He had serious issues, but damn that guy had a ton of talent.
https://www.so.washington.ar.us/res/Detainee.aspx?bn=4173970

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 27, 2016, 06:54:40 am
I'm not going to name drop but this staff is working.

Why not? There's literally no need for you to withhold who they were looking at.

orgkeith

They have already offered Henderson and are probably evaluating Garland, Franklin and Stokes.

WooPig90

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 27, 2016, 04:52:37 pm
Why not? There's literally no need for you to withhold who they were looking at.

It's Henderson

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: RUN N GUN on February 25, 2016, 12:41:11 pm

Did u say more athletic than Michael "Mr. Walk On Air" Qualls??

Hawg Red

Quote from: orgkeith on February 27, 2016, 05:15:33 pm
They have already offered Henderson and are probably evaluating Garland, Franklin and Stokes.

Or just showing Gafford love.

The_Iceman

TomBigBeeHog

We are not going to have enough scholarships to go around for the talent coming out of Arkansas the next few years. Will be hard to watch some of these guys going elsewhere if its because we just didn't have room.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 29, 2016, 11:37:18 am
We are not going to have enough scholarships to go around for the talent coming out of Arkansas the next few years. Will be hard to watch some of these guys going elsewhere if its because we just didn't have room.

If Javon is the athlete everyone says he is, it'd be a shame not to see him developed by Mike.

gmarv

it would be a shame but its a better problem to have than the reverse and having a low number of quality kids coming out.

Hawg Red

I wonder if there is a sense of hope with Franklin since he isn't a Team Penny guy. Parkview + Cotton = double whammy.

Razorpigg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 02, 2016, 09:37:00 am
I wonder if there is a sense of hope with Franklin since he isn't a Team Penny guy. Parkview + Cotton = double whammy.

I went to HS with Kahn's brother.  Anything the Cotton's do doesnt surprise me in the least.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 01, 2016, 08:53:25 am
If Javon is the athlete everyone says he is, it'd be a shame not to see him developed by Mike.

Javon did not play in the EYBL from my understanding last season. Javon is a great athlete but he need to be evaluated by competing against D-1 competition.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 02, 2016, 11:20:52 am
Javon did not play in the EYBL from my understanding last season. Javon is a great athlete but he need to be evaluated by competing against D-1 competition.

Is he planning on playing for a team that plays EYBL this summer?

RUN N GUN

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 02, 2016, 11:23:17 am
Is he planning on playing for a team that plays EYBL this summer?

Word around little rock is he will be playing on the Nike circuit this year. Hearing his AAU team is now a Nike sponsored team so he will have a chance to play in front of a lot of college coaches this spring and summer.

Big Nasty 34

Sadly, the way we have been striking out lately, it is good to have plenty of options. Hopefully we capitalize on the top talent.

Razorod

Seems to me to be the perfect fit at the "hybrid" forward position that Mike likes. Also, plays with lots of energy, which seems to be something that CMA want more of.

TomBigBeeHog

Letsroll1200

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 13, 2016, 08:58:16 pm
I don't care about the stars, I just want Gafford, Darius Hall, and Javon Franklin for 2017!

I want to see what Javon does in summer basketball.