Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Atlanta Braves 2016

Started by ucahogfan, February 10, 2016, 09:31:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

While it is very unlikely that Teheran gets moved, let's just say he is moved to the Red Sox for the following package which beats what we got for Miller:

-  Yoan Moncada
-  Andrew Benintendi
-  Blake Swihart
-  Michael Kopech

By the All-Star game in 2017, our lineup could look like the following:

C - Swihart
1B - Freeman
2B - Albies
SS - Swanson
3B - Moncada
LF - Smith
CF - Inciarte
RF - Benintendi

The lineup goes from a big question mark to one of the best young lineups in the game.  Throw in Jeren Kendall from Vandy as our top pick in 2017 and our OF will be Benintendi, Inciarte, and Kendall.  Three guys who can steal 20+ bases and Benintendi and Kendall can be 15-20+ HR type guys.

Sure, we won't have the ace that every team loves to have, but we have pitching depth in the minors which can absorb that.  Even if only 40% of these guys reach their ceiling, it will still be a starting rotation of pitchers who are #2/#3 type pitchers.

gutshot

Dombrowski isn't scared to shell out prospects for a playoff run, and with Ortiz making his last charge, it won't surprise me if they deal a couple of their top 4. I just think they will set their sights on somethings higher than Teheran. Don't ask me who that would be, because I don't know. If there is any team in the league that can make a run at Fernandez or Sale, it is Boston. Trouble is, neither of those two are out of the race yet so they may not look to deal. I just think Boston has the upper hand on the rest of the league as far as trade pieces go.

Let's just hope Coppolella stands his ground. He doesn't have to trade JT if he doesn't get what he wants.

ucahogfan

Very solid trade today with the Rangers as we send Lucas Harrell who was signed as a minor league FA earlier this season and Dario Alvarez for Travis Demeritte who is a power hitting INF.  He is playing 2B in the Rangers system, but I think we probably move him over to 3B and promote him to AA to team him with Swanson and Albies and see what he can do at a tougher level.

Demeritte would have been the #9 prospect in a good Rangers system when MLB.com updates their prospect rankings so he probably falls in the top 15 somewhere in our system.  Heck of a prospect to get for someone like Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez who were probably not in our long-term plans.

Dr. Starcs

What can you tell me about Harrell and Alvarez

gutshot

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 27, 2016, 07:28:44 pm
What can you tell me about Harrell and Alvarez

Harrell is a back end rotation-filler type. He's pitched a few good games recently, but I wouldn't expect much out of him for a playoff caliber team.

Alvarez has a helluva wipeout slider from the left side and he throws it a lot. Fastball is mid to low 90s but straight as an arrow. He can freeze some batters with it though, because they have to be conscious of that ridiculous slider. He's striking out batters at an insane rate this year and not just left handlers. He's dominating right handers, too. He would be the key to the deal for the Rangers if you ask me. Not sure why the Mets couldn't do more with him before releasing him early this year.

ucahogfan

July 30, 2016, 08:08:19 pm #55 Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:19:57 pm by ucahogfan
Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1  · 3h3 hours ago   Manhattan, NY   

Source now says Olivera from #Braves to #Padres for Kemp has graduated to "very close"

Kemp owed $54M from 2017-19, Olivera owed $28.5M from 2017-20. #Padres #Braves

Olivera for Kemp is indeed a one-for-one. #Padres would be sending $ to #Braves. Only last-sec medical would kill deal now.

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1  · 2h2 hours ago   Manhattan, NY   

Kemp for Olivera is agreed upon pending physical review. Kemp did have hip issues in past, but #Braves badly want to be rid of Olivera

Between offloading Olivera's $28.5M (2017-20), getting $ from #Padres to further offset Kemp's $54M (17-19), #Braves want to complete deal

Once Olivera was suspended 82g as part of domestic abuse protocol was never in #Braves plans to bring him back to MLB

#Braves willing to add star power/RH power knowing Kemp poor def/OBP/rep as teammate because price right, namely moving Olivera/$

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1  · 26m26 minutes ago 

Can confirm @JimBowden_ESPN #Padres sending $10.5M to #Braves as part of deal. So between that/$28.5M for Olivera, SD saves $15M

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1  · 16m16 minutes ago 

#Braves see Kemp's warts, but were desperate for power and to get rid of Olivera, felt cost for power this offseason would be prohibitive

That trade with the Dodgers last trade deadline where we got Olivera and Zachary Bird for Alex Wood, Jose Peraza, and a couple of relievers will probably go down as the worst trade we have made in our re-build.  While Wood is not going to be an ace, he was a known quantity in the rotation and did a good job.  Peraza was not going to have a spot in our future with the acquisition of Swanson post Peraza and Albies, but he could have been flipped for an OF since we need help out there.  Although, we also got a lottery pick in that deal which turned out to be Joey Wentz and he has top of the rotation potential.  Will be interesting to see how he develops.

OnTheHillHogFan

Glad we got rid of Olivera
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

gutshot

Swanson makes his debut tonight. Personally I don't think now is the time, but the front office thinks he's ready so away we go.