Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oh My . . . Jimmy Dykes hired as new U of A Women's Hoops coach

Started by WizardofhOgZ, March 30, 2014, 10:14:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

He hasn't coached anything in 23 years . hasn't recruited in forever and has no body of work to show players . This is why Women's sports gets so little respect and coverage , even in our own state
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 30, 2014, 10:53:21 am
Will he be able to stop the AR talent from leaving the state?  What is his relationship with AR HS coaches?  How big is his name in WBB HS ranks - in AR or outside the state?

Time will answer these questions, and it is a money losing entity after all.  Collen had like 6 or 7 years so what is 4 or 5 to a "hometown boy"?  Success or failure isn't going to have any impact anyway.  Go Jimmy!
Jimmy's a big supporter of Springdale Harber and when he's at their football games, even the opposing coaches make it a point to come shake his hand. He's well known and well liked in this state.

This hire will generate interest in guys like me who enjoy listening to him (most of the time). The chances of me attending a women's game just went up from 0% to probably 75%.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 30, 2014, 10:55:11 am
He hasn't coached anything in 23 years . hasn't recruited in forever and has no body of work to show players . This is why Women's sports gets so little respect and coverage , even in our own state
So the reason women's bball hasn't gotten any respect and coverage for the last 60 years is because Jimmy Dykes will be hired to coach it in 2014?

3kgthog

Let's clarify things. Dykes is respected as a commentator, not a coach. I'd rather have a respected coach. How do you answer a recruit's or parent's question like, "You really haven't coached in 20 years?" "Well...no, but I've sat next to some coaches on tv!" Come on, man.

Dr. Starcs

C'mon guys.

Dykes and women's basketball is a perfect fit.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 10:57:10 am
Jimmy's a big supporter of Springdale Harber and when he's at their football games, even the opposing coaches make it a point to come shake his hand. He's well known and well liked in this state.

This hire will generate interest in guys like me who enjoy listening to him (most of the time). The chances of me attending a women's game just went up from 0% to probably 75%.

So he's going to bring Lingerie Football to the SEC then.  Cool beans.

WizardofhOgZ

There are a lot of guys here who will be eating crow in 3 years when we're advancing in the NCAA Tournament.  Of course, then they will simply say they don't care anything about Women's sports. 

Wait and see.

;)

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 30, 2014, 11:02:40 am
There are a lot of guys here who will be eating crow in 3 years when we're advancing in the NCAA Tournament.  Of course, then they will simply say they don't care anything about Women's sports. 

Wait and see.

;)

Their entire future is ahead of them.

ronmahony

I think it is a great idea, he lives here for one, he is a Razorback, he already knows how to call the Hogs. He knows basketball, has great ties with the media, is a well known name, which should help a lot with recruiting, has coached before. I mean to me this no brainer. Welcome home Coach.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 30, 2014, 11:02:40 am

Wait and see.

;)
Good call, or it'll be "With these caliber of players (who only came here because they were All Hog and not b/c of Jimmy) we should've won it all...bad coaching!"

Porked Tongue

Definitely a surprise from left field.  As told, he's a local guy with basketball knowledge and a great reputation.  I'm not sure we were in a position to do any better than JD.

To add, he was the AD at Shiloh and I believe coached cross country for a bit.  He's connected well and likely will bring investment into the program.  I'm all for that as it needs to become more self-sustainable.  He's in his early 50's now and has a young daughter to go with his former UA cheerleader of a wife.  You could see where it's a good move for him.

But the question is will it be for the UA?  I do think a form of nepotism is at work but that's not always bad.  Considering the state of the program post-Blair, it's a well calculated gamble.

It has that folksy feel.  Welcome home Jimmy!  Good luck.

tophawg19

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 10:58:08 am
So the reason women's bball hasn't gotten any respect and coverage for the last 60 years is because Jimmy Dykes will be hired to coach it in 2014?
No it's because the U OF A has done a poor job of promoting them . We have a great Gymnastics team but they get little coverage .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Wild Bill Hog

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 30, 2014, 10:16:57 am
So he can stay closer to his family in Arkansas?

For Jimmy that is a good enough reason right there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 30, 2014, 11:14:43 am
No it's because the U OF A has done a poor job of promoting them . We have a great Gymnastics team but they get little coverage .
And you think that's because of poor promotion? People just don't care about those sports.  The interest isn't there...at all.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 11:17:58 am
For Jimmy that is a good enough reason right there.
I'm beginning to suspect that you know him. Just a hunch.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 30, 2014, 10:38:06 am
So we pass on a guy with a national title, some Final Fours, and a wife that still works here. We also pass on a coach that has more career wins than even Blair and he's right down the road.

Jeff failed to separate friendship from business and this is a stupid business decision.

How do you know we PASSED on Blair.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 10:46:05 am
Those complaining about how much this hire bothers them probably couldn't name 3 players on the team without looking it up.

I doubt they could name more than one.

Inhogswetrust

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 11:20:26 am
How do you know we PASSED on Blair.

He doesn't, obviously everyone turned down Long, isn't that how he makes his hires??

Break & Run

Some of y'all are pathetic.  Do you not forget Blair is in-conference now?  He likely has a no-compete clause!
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 30, 2014, 10:49:28 am
Again, I understand your bias, but there is a very large difference in replacing a coach in a primary revenue-generating sport vs. replacing one that generates very little.

Politics and booster involvement would be the biggest differences. If Dykes can't get it done here, replacing him should go on without any drama or fuss from boosters.

Agree.

Porked Tongue

Sidenote:  No more threads about Dykes good/bad announcing of Hog games.

WayneHawg

Tophawg19 does your avitar have any eligibility left ? If so can she show up for a tryout ?

LL COOL HOG

3kgthog

When I say we passed I mean we likely didn't even contact Blair and probably shouldn't have. He's at a better program that's more committed to winning (obviously).

It should be noted I was leaning toward Foley based on his record with limited resource programs. It'll be interesting to see if a big program outside the state gives him a shot soon.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 10:51:55 am
I'm thinking on Jimmy's Jet (the personal version) you're more of a baggage handler.

Nope. Friend. He's never bought me anything and since I don't travel with him I don't handle baggage and wouldn't if I did. I have my own life just like anybody does. Just because he is a friend doesn't mean we talk and text or email even day. Heck I've offered to buy him a drink in the past (as a joke) and he wouldn't take it. Why you might ask? He doesn't drink.

Porked Tongue

March 30, 2014, 11:27:29 am #77 Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:42:08 am by Porked Tongue
His background includes playing two years at Fayetteville High School after moving here from Colorado.  His dad was a long time realtor for Lindsey & Associates then his own partnership(edited).  Yeah, that Lindsey.

He will bring some light to the sport for sure.

My curiosity now goes towards his staff and the budget.  Collen made over 500,000(corrected).  He'll need a seasoned veteran to help out and likely that needs to be female.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 30, 2014, 11:00:00 am
C'mon guys.

Dykes and women's basketball is a perfect fit.
That's good stuff..I was trying to figure out how to word my joke on it but couldn't lol

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 30, 2014, 11:23:14 am
Sidenote:  No more threads about Dykes good/bad announcing of Hog games.

Now we can look forward to the good coaching/bad coaching threads............................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2014, 11:22:24 am
He doesn't, obviously everyone turned down Long, isn't that how he makes his hires??

So we still have a shot at Gruden then!

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 30, 2014, 11:27:29 am
His background includes playing two years at Fayetteville High School after moving here from Colorado.  His dad was a long time realtor for Lindsey & Associates.  Yeah, that Lindsey.

My curiosity now goes towards his staff and the budget.  Collen made over 300,000.  He'll need a seasoned veteran to help out and likely that needs to be female.

Collen's salary was listed as $507,405  in today's ADG list of state salaries.

ricepig

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 11:27:02 am
Nope. Friend. He's never bought me anything and since I don't travel with him I don't handle baggage and wouldn't if I did. I have my own life just alike anybody does. Heck I've offered to buy him a drink in the past (as a joke) and he wouldn't take it. Why you might ask? He doesn't drink.
Jimmy's Jet is a thing he used to do when looking at the ncaa tourney field.

I don't believe you know him very well. I wouldn't be impressed if you did, but you're sounding more like a groupie than close friend.

Nipsey Mussle

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 30, 2014, 11:27:29 am
His background includes playing two years at Fayetteville High School after moving here from Colorado.  His dad was a long time realtor for Lindsey & Associates.  Yeah, that Lindsey.

My curiosity now goes towards his staff and the budget.  Collen made over 300,000.  He'll need a seasoned veteran to help out and likely that needs to be female.

His Dad was a partner in his own Real Estate firm.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2014, 11:31:24 am
Nope, wrong color tie on, sorry.

Dang! I was looking forward to him coaching our Hockey team!

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 11:34:15 am
His Dad was a partner in his own Real Estate firm.
Afterwards.  That's correct.  Dykes, Basset & Mix.  I should have followed through on that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 11:33:02 am
Jimmy's Jet is a thing he used to do when looking at the ncaa tourney field.

I don't believe you know him very well. I wouldn't be impressed if you did, but you're sounding more like a groupie than close friend.

Jimmy doesn't do groupies. Am I his closest friend then no. Am I a friend yes.

hogman99

Quote from: Doug "Bear" Hazard on March 30, 2014, 10:46:41 am
Guys, you complain that the Razorbacks don't get enough respect in the media, then they bring on someone with NATIONAL recognition and respect, and now you're complaining about that?

Seriously? You can't have it both ways.

This is a HUGE hire. His name, alone, gets the Razorback program into recruits minds across the nation.

Agree and he has a very good mind for basketball and understands fundementals which is huge in women's basketball.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 11:36:35 am
Jimmy doesn't do groupies. Am I his closest friend then no. Am I a friend yes.
Break the restraining order and ask him about his salary!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 30, 2014, 11:35:46 am
Afterwards.  That's correct.  Dykes, Basset & Mix.  I should have followed through on that.

No problem. You are correct that did come later. Perhaps I should have said so instead.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2014, 11:30:25 am
Collen's salary was listed as $507,405  in today's ADG list of state salaries.
Corrected that typo.  Thanks.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 11:38:28 am

None of my damn business. BUT IF I did ask him (which I never would do) then it wouldn't matter because he would have taken the job for less than a lot of people because of his love for the Hogs. Heck I didn't even know exactly how much my Dad and Mom made when I was growing up. I don't even know the exact amount my wife makes only roughly how much and I've never asked her. I do know it is more than I do only because she's told me when she got a new job a few years ago. How much she makes now after a few raises I don't know and didn't ask. Come to think of it I don't know any friends or family members salary and think it is wrong to ask such a question.

ricepig

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 11:38:28 am

It will be FOI'd and out before you say [CENSORED] in Orange britches.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 11:28:44 am
Now we can look forward to the good coaching/bad coaching threads............................

Not in Jump Ball I'm guessing.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 11:39:04 am
No problem. You are correct that did come later. Perhaps I should have said so instead.
We got it right now.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2014, 11:41:49 am
It will be FOI'd and out before you say [CENSORED] in Orange britches.
Lol perfect reference for this thread.

MojoHog

How come all the people that study and know WBB is saying this is a good hire but half of hogville thinks it is a horrible one...

I'll be the first to say I don't pay attention to WBB but I like the hire. Why? Because all the REAL experts like the hire!! Jeff Long could hire the best WBB coach ever and people on here would say that it was a dumb hire. Welcome to Hogville I guess.
Go Hogs!
Go Pack Go!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: MojoHog on March 30, 2014, 11:44:20 am
How come all the people that study and know WBB is saying this is a good hire but half of hogville thinks it is a horrible one...

I'll be the first to say I don't pay attention to WBB but I like the hire. Why? Because all the REAL experts like the hire!! Jeff Long could hire the best WBB coach ever and people on here would say that it was a dumb hire. Welcome to Hogville I guess.

Which people know and study WBB?  Feel free to list them.