Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Running Thread

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, July 31, 2013, 06:18:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

Any suggestions for moldable insoles?  I picked up my Ghost 8's today and need some suggestions

PP

Tomhog™

Quote from: HawgPilot on March 01, 2016, 09:59:18 am
I ran in the Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon in New Orleans this weekend.  It was a blast and I accomplished a new PR.  It was a lively event and very flat.  Perfect day for a fast run.

Damn, HP.  That is a fast pace for a half distance. Lactic Acid buildup always causes me to run slower pace over that distance.

Jack The BN

Is 31 minutes a good mile time?
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

hawgrunner

MO.Hog

Just started running about 4 months ago.  Working on getting my first 5K.  Started out at a 31:07 5k time.  My goal was to be at 24:00 by September when I run one in Memphis.  Last week I hit 24:03 (so close!!!!).  Now trying to make my goal closer to 20:00.  Last time I ran over a mile was in middle school, so just getting out there is a big step for me.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: MO.Hog on June 17, 2016, 02:58:48 pm
Just started running about 4 months ago.  Working on getting my first 5K.  Started out at a 31:07 5k time.  My goal was to be at 24:00 by September when I run one in Memphis.  Last week I hit 24:03 (so close!!!!).  Now trying to make my goal closer to 20:00.  Last time I ran over a mile was in middle school, so just getting out there is a big step for me.
dang, nice!  I have yet to best 27

PP

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on March 02, 2016, 05:32:12 pm
Any suggestions for moldable insoles?  I picked up my Ghost 8's today and need some suggestions

PP

My Ghost 7's were the bomb!  Love those shoes and I still wear them.  I've got the Ghost 8 and don't feel the same way about them. 
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

hawgrunner

riccoar

Pulled(PP)pork

HawgPilot

tweaked my left hamstring in late June.  Dang, getting older stinks as it relates to recovery.  Just started back running again in August.  Anyone doing Soaring Wings in Conway on Oct 29?

hawgrunner

Quote from: riccoar on June 20, 2016, 09:07:04 am
Main Ingredients: Cinnamon, Ginger and Capsicum along with Sugar and Sodium.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/06/02/review-hotshot-resets-nerve-muscle-communication-prevent-cramps/

Found local place that sold them... so was able to buy just one to test. Did a 27-mile bike ride and my calf muscle didn't cramp but my foot did.

Tomhog™

Ran my first marathon this past Saturday in Memphis for the St. Jude's Children's hospital.  Not bad for someone who just about lost his legs in a motorcycle accident back in 2008.  Never even had a goal to run 26.2 miles until about a year ago.

26.2Hog

That's great, Tomhog!  Here's to many more marathons in your future!

Tomhog™

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 08, 2016, 09:30:41 am
That's great, Tomhog!  Here's to many more marathons in your future!

Thanks! My next one is actually on the 17th in Little Rock for the 3 Bridges Marathon. Might as well keep running them while I'm in marathon shape!

26.2Hog

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 08, 2016, 12:37:11 pm
Thanks! My next one is actually on the 17th in Little Rock for the 3 Bridges Marathon. Might as well keep running them while I'm in marathon shape!

3 Bridges is a good one, laid back and flat.  And you're right, getting in shape to run that first one is the hard part.  Once you're in shape, keeping on running them is a lot easier!  Just don't push it too hard.

The Mississippi Blues in Jackson is a really good one for early January.

Tomhog™

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 08, 2016, 09:32:18 pm
3 Bridges is a good one, laid back and flat.  And you're right, getting in shape to run that first one is the hard part.  Once you're in shape, keeping on running them is a lot easier!  Just don't push it too hard.

The Mississippi Blues in Jackson is a really good one for early January.

Running 2 marathons in 2 weeks was a bit much. My legs hadn't recovered so they fizzled out at mile 18. I walked/trotted to mile 22 before had the energy to run the rest. Hardest run of my life. But I did qualify for Marathon Maniacs! It's been a long time goal of mine.

HawgPilot

Congrats TH.  The weather was challenging for a December marathon. Couple of guys I run with ran this weekend too.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 18, 2016, 07:35:32 am
Running 2 marathons in 2 weeks was a bit much. My legs hadn't recovered so they fizzled out at mile 18. I walked/trotted to mile 22 before had the energy to run the rest. Hardest run of my life. But I did qualify for Marathon Maniacs! It's been a long time goal of mine.

Great job, Tomhog!  Enjoy being a Maniac!   

HawgPilot

I received an invite to run the the NY Half  in March of 2017.  Needless to say I'm pretty excited about it.  I didn't get an auto qualify (my age group was 1:27 :o) but I entered the lottery based on previous GP races and was selected. 

Pork Twain

I thought about running a half marathon once, thought about it...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgPilot on December 27, 2016, 01:41:30 pm
I received an invite to run the the NY Half  in March of 2017.  Needless to say I'm pretty excited about it.  I didn't get an auto qualify (my age group was 1:27 :o) but I entered the lottery based on previous GP races and was selected.

Sweet! Good luck.

My 13.1 PR was 1:47:09 and I was 45 then.  8)

HawgPilot

Thanks HR, thats a good run at 45 yrs young!  Ive missed seeing some of your rides on starva lately, I figured you were just letting some of us young guys catch up ;)

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgPilot on December 28, 2016, 02:14:14 pm
Thanks HR, thats a good run at 45 yrs young!  Ive missed seeing some of your rides on starva lately, I figured you were just letting some of us young guys catch up ;)

Long work days and short sunlight hours put a little hold on riding. But plan on picking back up soon, hitting the gym a lot more as of late though!

Tomhog™

That is cool. BQ is a pipe dream for me.  I don't think I can do much better than around 4 hours in a marathon. My legs got pretty jacked up from my bike accident, and I just can't put the training miles in like I need to.

HawgPilot

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 16, 2017, 12:48:35 pm
That is cool. BQ is a pipe dream for me.  I don't think I can do much better than around 4 hours in a marathon. My legs got pretty jacked up from my bike accident, and I just can't put the training miles in like I need to.

Yea I think I may have maxed out on pace.  Although I would love to go sub 1:30 on the half, I'm just not willing to contort my body into being only a runner.  I still enjoy HIIT and occasionally lifting weights.

Tomhog™

Quote from: HawgPilot on January 21, 2017, 06:33:22 pm
Yea I think I may have maxed out on pace.  Although I would love to go sub 1:30 on the half, I'm just not willing to contort my body into being only a runner.  I still enjoy HIIT and occasionally lifting weights.

Getting older sucks. I've fought shin splints, Achilles tendinitis, and turf toe the past 3 months. I have a 20 miler tomorrow morning. Training for the Little Rock marathon in March.

Tomhog™

This is cool. I've put my name in the hat for the NY marathon later this year. Lottery is my only chance and it is only a slim chance since invite is only around 18%! And I can't run a sub 2:30 marathon!

Tomhog™

Quote from: MO.Hog on June 17, 2016, 02:58:48 pm

This is great! Setting goals is what keeps me motivated. I've had a goal of a sub 20 5K, but my body can't handle the training it'd take for me. I got down to 21 minutes before injury set me back 6 months. I did run a 20:04 in high school. So pissed as I could have found 5 seconds on that course.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 18, 2016, 07:35:32 am

Good job Tom. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgPilot

March 12 at 2pm at Conway Airport there will be a free Duathlon.  "Spring Forward Du" to mark the beginning of racing season.  2 mile run, 15 mile bike and 2 mile run.

Let me know if anyone would like more details.

Tomhog™

Anyone else running the Little Rock Marathon this Sunday? I'm not looking forward to the unseasonably warm temps. Hopefully it stays cloudy at least!

HawgPilot

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 01, 2017, 11:53:35 am
Anyone else running the Little Rock Marathon this Sunday? I'm not looking forward to the unseasonably warm temps. Hopefully it stays cloudy at least!

My wife will be running this weekend.  Good luck!  It does look like it will be warm!!

HawgPilot

Leaving this afternoon for NY.  I am running in the NY Half Sunday morning!  Its going to be a cold and perhaps snowy run but I'm looking forward to running in Central Park and through Times Square.

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgPilot on March 15, 2017, 04:01:06 pm
Leaving this afternoon for NY.  I am running in the NY Half Sunday morning!  Its going to be a cold and perhaps snowy run but I'm looking forward to running in Central Park and through Times Square.

Good Luck!! Enjoy!

nationwish

Does anyone have experience planning a running event? I might be planning a fundraiser involving running in Tulsa.

Tomhog™

Quote from: HawgPilot on March 15, 2017, 04:01:06 pm

I had several IG friends run it.  How'd it go?

HawgPilot

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 21, 2017, 12:41:14 pm
I had several IG friends run it.  How'd it go?

Man, it was a great event!  Running thru Central Park was really cool.  The hills were a little deceiving bc they were not too steep but really long.  Its basically the tale of two races.  The first 6.3 miles was hilly and then you leave CP running through Times Square.  That was the most spectators I had ever seen!  The adrenaline was pumping too!  I had to slow down bc I was running about a 6:30/mile pace and knew I had a challenging stretch coming.  We left TS and headed south down West Avenue, along the Hudson River.  It was long and windy!!  It was the first 1/2 that I was not going for a time but rather really "soaking" it in.  I ended up running a 7:27/mile pace but more importantly, I really enjoyed the event!  I'll try to load a short video later where I stopped and kissed my wife and daughter in Times Square.

If you ever get the chance to run in it, go for it!  Great, great 1/2 marathon!

HawgPilot

HawgPilot

A little longer than 13.1

HawgPilot

Short video, hopefully it loads.

Tomhog™

That is damn fast! Fastest half I've ever run was at an 8:09 pace. I couldn't do it now. Great photos BTW.

I put my name in for the NY Marathon lottery earlier this month, but failed to make it.  Hopefully one of these years I will get in. It has more spectators than any marathon in the country!

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

Got a good trail run in today...

hawgrunner

hawgrunner