Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008/2009 Rangers Offseason News

Started by UhOhioHog, December 04, 2008, 01:03:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UhOhioHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 04, 2008, 11:44:05 am
The Rangers are worst than HDN they have been trying to build a WS team for 35 years!  Rangers Suck! and will as long as that Hick Tom Hicks owns them.  The last owners worth a darn was George W Bushs bunch.

Tom Hicks has the exact opposite effect of King Midas.  Everything he touchs turns to Shiite.

Just look at the Stars this year.  Even his English Premeire League Team is suffering with internal strife.  Of his three teams the Rangers look to be in the best shape right now.  How sad is that?

TR1

Why did we get minor leaguers? We need starters who are in the majors! Hope Teagarden is out starter at catcher! Will Hank be the next to go?

UhOhioHog

Gerald will be missed.  Time for the young guys to step up.

Bradley will be gone too.  Looks like Cruz may get another shot in Spring Training. 

Hicks must be putting his money into the Liverpool Reds because he seems to be going cheap on the Rangers.

selfexplanatory

I thought Laird would have been able to fetch a veteran starter.  The 50 year Ranger plan continues.
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

LVW

Quote from: selfexplanatory on December 08, 2008, 12:42:08 pm
I thought Laird would have been able to fetch a veteran starter.  The 50 year Ranger plan continues.

a below average offensive catcher who will be 29 and has played over 100 games just once in his career- those aren't that high in demand.
Van_the_man_Unusual

width=250 height=156]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8279/chapman.jpg

UhOhioHog

Quote from: LVW on December 08, 2008, 10:10:52 pm
a below average offensive catcher who will be 29 and has played over 100 games just once in his career- those aren't that high in demand.

Contrary to the above post.
Laird is among the highest in BA and has a very strong arm.  Also, runs extremely well for a catcher.  He was in very high demand.

TR1

Jon Daniels and Nolan Ryan met with Ben Sheets on Monday. Braves my trade for Millwood to free up some money.

LVW

Quote from: TexasHogfan on December 09, 2008, 01:02:10 pm
Contrary to the above post.
Laird is among the highest in BA and has a very strong arm.  Also, runs extremely well for a catcher.  He was in very high demand.

Is that why 3 teams desparate for catching early in the season(Reds, Yanks, and Brewers) all passed on acquiring him. The only year that he played in more than 100 games he hit .224.  Speed does little good when you're OB% barely scrapes .300. 
Van_the_man_Unusual

cadensdad

i bet Salty goes next.  Should get Buckholz for him.  Boston is getting desparate

UhOhioHog

Quote from: LVW on December 09, 2008, 11:05:47 pm
Is that why 3 teams desparate for catching early in the season(Reds, Yanks, and Brewers) all passed on acquiring him. The only year that he played in more than 100 games he hit .224.  Speed does little good when you're OB% barely scrapes .300.

Those 3 teams would not give up what the Rangers were asking for.  I hear the 17 year old in this deal has a great heater and was the centerpiece for the Rangers.  It's still a big gamble!  Laird may not be what Pudge once was, but, he is still one of the better Catchers in the game right now.

UhOhioHog

Sounds like the Rangers are going to try to lure Ben Sheets.  I don't think Hicks will open up the checkbook enough.

Backup plan is Randy Johnson.

LVW

Quote from: TexasHogfan on December 10, 2008, 11:07:39 am
I hear the 17 year old in this deal has a great heater and was the centerpiece for the Rangers. 
he's got huge upside- heater can hit 96 and has movement.
Van_the_man_Unusual

selfexplanatory

I've been thinking for a few years Randy Johnson needed to end his career in Texas.  Nolan helped tutor him years ago.  Assuming health allows Randy to reach 5,000 k's, it would be neat for both of the members of that club to have worn the Texas uniform.
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.

LVW

Quote from: selfexplanatory on December 12, 2008, 11:33:57 am
I've been thinking for a few years Randy Johnson needed to end his career in Texas.  Nolan helped tutor him years ago.  Assuming health allows Randy to reach 5,000 k's, it would be neat for both of the members of that club to have worn the Texas uniform.
how about Jamie Moyer too?
Van_the_man_Unusual

One Bad Boy

cadensdad

Looks like Michael Young wants out of texas. Requested a trade because they asked him to move to third. So much for a team player.

TR1

Oh NO!!!! what's next!  Come on Michael! Go to third. A-rod and Cal Ripken did!

Is Elvis Anders ready for the big leagues? I know he had a good season at Frisco.

cadensdad

I don't think he is ready but I think Wash wants to get his hands on him and get the team ready for 2010. He is the future at short and I would rather see him there and yound at third.  Wash is a miracle worker on infielders and can turn this young kid around.

TR1

BREAKING NEWS.......... Michael Young is going to play 3rd base. Joy in Rangerville! He is ready to get going, and starting the season.

cadensdad

Yes!  I just read that!  I can't wait to c the future of the rangers!  Baseball america just named them the number 1 farm system too!  The team with the number one farm system the last couple of years has made the playoffs!!!!!

Col.Mccoy

Thats great news! Wasnt sure how this was going to turn out. Go Rangers!
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie

UhOhioHog

Still need to address pitching!  I say take a chance and offer Ben Sheets.  Just please, give us some sign that management is serious about winning now and stop this building for (insert year)!

UhOhioHog

More bad news for the Rangers Pitching Staff.

Eric Hurley out for 2009.  Underwent shoulder surgery.

cadensdad

Already bad news and they haven't even reported yet to spring training. Same ol same ol.

TR1

I am coming to Arlington for fan feast on Saturday. Any word on what players will be there signing autographs and the times they will be there?  I hope Josh Hamilton will be there! Thanks.

cadensdad

Those should be available later today. Keep an eye on the rangers website they should have them posted there.

TX HOG

Good to see some fellow Ranger fans here.  We go to several games a year. I'm ready for some Ranger baseball

TR1

Got the line up for players autographs for Fan Feast. Hamilton, Kinsler, Millwood, Davis, Murphy Saltalamacchia, Teagarden, are some of the players. Former Rangers like, Buechele, O'Brein, Jeffcoat, Wilkerson, Hostetler Valentine (Ellis), Russell (Jeff), and Bill Stein. Looking forward to this.

cadensdad

Quote from: TR1 on January 21, 2009, 08:41:20 pm
I am coming to Arlington for fan feast on Saturday. Any word on what players will be there signing autographs and the times they will be there?  I hope Josh Hamilton will be there! Thanks.
i read where they have a press conference scheduled today.  new uniforms and schedule for fan day tomorrow.  Have fun i wish i lived closer so i could be there.

Col.Mccoy

Looks like they're bringing the red jerseys back as a alternate. Cant say im that happy about the decision. Also saw on rangers.com that we had a sit down meeting with Ben Sheets. I think this would be a great move if we could land him at a discount. Heres a Link:

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090123&content_id=3766682&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie

UhOhioHog

They really need to sign Ben Sheets.  It's worth the risk when you could get a dominating Stike out pitcher in this Ballpark! 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: TexasHogfan on December 10, 2008, 07:29:00 pm
Sounds like the Rangers are going to try to lure Ben Sheets.  I don't think Hicks will open up the checkbook enough.

Backup plan is Randy Johnson.

The Texas Rangers' pursuit of free-agent pitcher Ben Sheets has become serious enough that owner Tom Hicks is now involved.

Hicks, sons Tom Jr. and Alex, and team president Nolan Ryan were among a group of Rangers personnel who dined Wednesday in Dallas with Sheets and agent Casey Close.

It was the Rangers' second face-to-face meeting with Sheets this off-season, and the first since the slower-than-normal free-agent market has taken shape.

The Rangers are trying to find a financial middle ground between the risk and reward of signing a player who has been on the disabled list five times in four years but was the starting pitcher for the National League in the All-Star Game last year.

It could be a busy weekend for Hicks, Ryan and general manager Jon Daniels, and an agreement could be reached by early next week. The right deal would be no longer than two years and worth no more than $16 million guaranteed, but it could escalate based on performance incentives.

"If your guarantee doesn't have to be to the level where you felt like you had too much exposure, and you were able to build in a structure that he would be paid on the level that he pitched to, I think that would be the proper approach," Ryan said Friday.

"When you have a pitcher of Sheets' caliber and you're trying to strengthen your pitching, you have to investigate the possibilities if there's an opportunity."

Ryan said that the Rangers had not extended an offer to Sheets as of Friday afternoon. But Ryan sees a fit for the right-hander, who lives in Highland Park, went to college in Monroe, La., and has a close relationship with new Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux.

Sheets played long toss Wednesday and Thursday at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington with Maddux, who was Sheets' coach the past five seasons in Milwaukee.

He made 31 starts last season and went 13-9 with a 3.09 ERA for the Brewers. But a torn flexor tendon — the same injury that has derailed Jason Jennings the past 18 months — ended his season in September and prevented him from pitching in the postseason.

Sheets, who did not have surgery, has resumed his normal throwing schedule, and his appearance at Rangers Ballpark this week was part of his plan to be ready for the 2009 season.

But his injury history is the primary reason why he remains on the market only three weeks from the start of spring training.

"You don't see a talent like that sitting around unsigned by all of baseball if there isn't a concern," Ryan said. "You don't ever develop a true comfort level until you put multiple innings on him and see how he throws and bounces back from a start."

Some Rangers players said they saw Sheets and spoke to him this week. Second baseman Ian Kinsler believes the Rangers should take a chance before another club — reportedly, the New York Mets — does.

"I would love to bring in an arm with that potential," Kinsler said. "I'll talk to him, be friendly, but I'm not going to try to convince him to go in a direction."- Fort Worth Star Telegram

TexasHogFan.... Thanks for Taking Teixiera away from Anaheim. If Rangers sign Ben Sheets and Neftali Feliz development goes as planed. This will be the Rangers making it to the playoffs. This year looks bright and if they sign Sheets to go along with Teagarden, Elvis and Feliz. These new rookies will help just as Davis, Murphy, Harrison and Boggs did last season.

TR1

Fan Fest was alot of fun. The only autograph i got was Michael Young. Josh Hamilton had the longest line of the day. he stayed longer then we has supposed to. things are looking up for the Rangers.

UhOhioHog

Quote from: TR1 on January 26, 2009, 11:50:58 am
Fan Fest was alot of fun. The only autograph i got was Michael Young. Josh Hamilton had the longest line of the day. he stayed longer then we has supposed to. things are looking up for the Rangers.

I didn't get to make it this year.  Last year was fun and my daughter had a great time.  The lines for autographs are ridiculous.  I can only imagine how long is was for Josh Hamilton!

Things could be interesting if the Rangers sign Big Ben.  I feel an offer brewing.  No pun intended!

UhOhioHog

More Great News!!!  Heavy Sarcasm

Benoit has rotator cuff surgery.....may miss entire season.

The hits just keep on coming.
All the more reason to make an offer to Sheets.

cadensdad

Looks like eddie gaurdado is coming back.  I like that pick up he seemed to help the younger guys out and played pretty damn good too.

TheRazorbackGuy

With Joaquin Benoit out for the season. Eddie was necessary. I still think the bullpen is full of good arms but with no real shut down closer. I have a feeling in August we might see the phenom Neftali Feliz closing out games much like David Price did last year. Rangers have a real shot at winning the division if they can stay healthy in the starting pitching department and have young kids making their bullpen better.

Col.Mccoy

Much rather have Eddie in the pin then Benoit IMO

UhOhioHog

Standing pat on the rotation sounds like a give up to me!

Texas Rangers Baseball:  Building for the future since 1972!!!

Col.Mccoy

TheRazorbackGuy

It really stinks in what happened with Ben Sheets. I much rather would have liked Matt Harrison as the 4th starter and not the # 3 starter. I dont like standing pat but Neftali Feliz is the real deal and the best pitching prospect I've seen or read about in the Rangers organization in the 26 years I've paid attention to them. But scratch the closer spot.... he might end up being a starter along with Derek Holland.

TexasHogFan, I like the MLB network so much more in baseball coverage than biased ESPN. Those clowns at ESPN just talk Sox and Yanks and dont even discuss much more. I love Harold Reynolds is back on TV and I like me some Barry Larkin too.

selfexplanatory

Rangers sign Andruw Jones to minor league deal.

The outfield is crowded and the pitching is still scarce.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3892693

TR1

Why not sign Manny if we are going after all of these outfilder. Colson, Jones, etc....!!!! GEE WHIZ!

TheRazorbackGuy

Andruw Jones better not weigh 300 lbs next year!

gutshot

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on February 11, 2009, 01:44:11 pm
Andruw Jones better not weigh 300 lbs next year!

He's lost about 25 pounds over the off-season, he's healthy, he gets to work with Jaramillo (who's supposed to be one of the best hitting coaches in the game,) he's going to a very hitter-friendly park, and he's out of the LA spot-light. 

Combine all of this with the fact that he'll only cost $500,000 (and that's only if he makes the 40 man roster,) and the Rangers have themselves a low-cost, low-risk, no-lose situation. 

razorbackfan86

when will the rangers ever figure out that the "slugger" is not going to win the championship? I love them to death, and will watch every game when they're on tv, but c'mon if AROD couldn't do it noone can.. please start spending money on pitching

UhOhioHog

I think the plan is to move some players during the season and get the young guys experience down the strecth in preparation for 2010.  With the Ben Sheets deal not working out I see the Front Office trying to move Millwood and Padilla as well as Blalock and Cat and even Michael Young.

Hicks and Daniels are hoping to do what the White Sox did with young pitching a few years ago.  The Rangers have the young arms and could free up more money by moving some of the aforementioned position players.  Davis could move to 3rd and Smoak could take over at 1st.  Problem is no-one wants Blalock, Cat or Young at those salaries.  Young could go at the trade deadline for someone making a run, other than that I just don't see it. 

And for the Andru signing.....some people never learn!  Gotta understand though, Hicks did go to Texass.

TheRazorbackGuy

I think Michael Young will be the vet they hang on to. Davis can be a DH and Smoak can play 1B. Feliz, Holland and Main are the guys that are most interesting.....

Feliz needs to start his run towards Cooperstown starting next year.

UhOhioHog

Still need to cut Cat loose somehow.  His contract is what? $4 million per year, so, no-one would trade for him.  Just need to take the hit and move on.  I'd much prefer to see Boggs or Smoak on the roster. 

One or two of the young pitchers needs to come of age this season and Padilla needs to keep his head on straight if this club has any chance to make a run at the West. 

Will McCarthy actually play this year?  Or will he have some severe blisters that keep him out for 2009?

Can Millwood finish at or above .500?

How long before Blalock goes on the DL?

Just for kicks, let's guess!