Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Predict final standings of division-less SEC

Started by Van Boarisson, June 07, 2011, 12:05:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Boarisson

1. Kentucky- still overrated at #2 in the country but will be very good.
2. Bama- I am a believer
3. Arkansas- Definitely a believer, by SEC play, this team will be pretty damn good.
4. Vandy- Does better with lower expectations, we get them in the Bud this year.
5. Florida- Losing Tyus, Macklin and Parsons is tough to overcome.
6. M$U- Kind of an enigma to me, could be higher, could be lower, could be just right.
7. Ole Miss- Box of chocolates(no racist) never know what you're going to get.
8. UGA- Coaching.
9. USCe- Decent class coming in.
10. UT- Huge rebuilding job ahead
11. LSU- Rumor has it Trent wants out.
12. AU- Poor Aubie ;)

rogersvillemohog

Pretty fair assumption, I think. But I'm buying stock in UGA. Mark Fox knows what he's doing. I'd say put them in the 6 spot, and move down the Mississippi schools, and flop USCe and UT.
:razorback: :razorback:
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

hawgchill

Quote from: Van Boarisson on June 07, 2011, 12:05:41 pm
1. Kentucky- still overrated at #2 in the country but will be very good.
2. Bama- I am a believer
3. Arkansas- Definitely a believer, by SEC play, this team will be pretty damn good.
4. Vandy- Does better with lower expectations, we get them in the Bud this year.
5. Florida- Losing Tyus, Macklin and Parsons is tough to overcome.
6. M$U- Kind of an enigma to me, could be higher, could be lower, could be just right.
7. Ole Miss- Box of chocolates(no racist) never know what you're going to get.
8. UGA- Coaching.
9. USCe- Decent class coming in.
10. UT- Huge rebuilding job ahead
11. LSU- Rumor has it Trent wants out.
12. AU- Poor Aubie ;)
Good predictions,
I've got Vandy and MisStake slightly ahead of Bama/HAWGS...
If newcomers develop as advertised ,we and UK could run away
from everybody...
FLA- strong backcourt, rebuilding frontline (like US)
UK/Bama/Vany/MisStake adding strooong pieces (like US)
Vandy/UK/Bama all bring really good continuity
OleMiss/LSwhoo/awBARN coaches could make post season EXITS

Next to Jim Morrison/DOORS, Van Boarrison/BOARS follow ONLY
the Beatles and Stones as Rock Pioneers round hurr'  LOL

Van Boarisson

Quote from: hawgchill on June 07, 2011, 02:32:53 pm
Good predictions,
I've got Vandy and MisStake slightly ahead of Bama/HAWGS...
If newcomers develop as advertised ,we and UK could run away
from everybody...
FLA- strong backcourt, rebuilding frontline (like US)
UK/Bama/Vany/MisStake adding strooong pieces (like US)
Vandy/UK/Bama all bring really good continuity
OleMiss/LSwhoo/awBARN coaches could make post season EXITS

Next to Jim Morrison/DOORS, Van Boarrison/BOARS follow ONLY
the Beatles and Stones as Rock Pioneers round hurr'  LOL
[/b][/u]

Good stuff there bruh. +1

Van Boarisson

Quote from: rogersvillemohog on June 07, 2011, 12:32:59 pm
Pretty fair assumption, I think. But I'm buying stock in UGA. Mark Fox knows what he's doing. I'd say put them in the 6 spot, and move down the Mississippi schools, and flop USCe and UT.
:razorback: :razorback:

I like him, too, but I think they just have too many holes this year. Good post.

Dominicanhog

as much as I'd like us to finish top 3, I think 6th is more like it.  A .500 record would be good from my perspective. wps

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Dominicanhog on June 11, 2011, 08:36:18 am
as much as I'd like us to finish top 3, I think 6th is more like it.  A .500 record would be good from my perspective. wps

MA and his staff compiled an average finish of 5.8 in the Big 12 so there's a good chance you'll be close if not right on.

GuvHog

With the talent Mike Anderson will have on his team this season, anything less than 3rd would be a disgrace.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

poloprince

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 11, 2011, 10:59:24 am
With the talent Mike Anderson will have on his team this season, anything less than 3rd would be a disgrace.

Your expectations are much to high. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

GuvHog

Quote from: poloprince on June 11, 2011, 08:17:50 pm

Your expectations are much to high. 

No, they aren't. It's just that those who wanted no one else but Mike Anderson hired are afraid others are putting Too much pressure on him to succeed quickly. They are worried that many will turn against Mike as quickly as they did Pel. Mike is a very good HC with the talent to do no worse than 3rd in the SEC. There are no excuses. Universities don't pay a head coach the kind of money Mike is making just to give him a 2 year pass.

Breems

It will be interesting to see what Fox does without Trey Thompkins and Travis Leslie. 

Wait... is Leslie coming back?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

mmhogs17

1. Kentucky
2. Vandy
3. Alabama
4. Arkansas
5. Florida
6. Miss St
7. Ole Miss
8. Georgia
9. Auburn
10. Tennessee
11. South Carolina
12. LSU

cityhog

We will finish 5th, maybe 6th behind KY, bama, Vandy, Florida, MSU

The_Bionic_Pig

June 12, 2011, 01:18:20 am #13 Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:20:25 am by The_Bionic_Pig
What's interesting is that the top 5 should all be at or near the top 25  for the first time in a long time...unless they overdue the BigEast LOVE!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HoopS

I don't care what he's getting paid.  UK, VU, Bama and UF will all be good.  MSU probably will too.  To say not finishing in the top 3 is a disgrace is wrong.   It's easy to read between the lines with some.   You didn't want MA as coach and you're ready to pounce if he doesn't come in and immediately dominate.   It took Petrino 3 years to reach a similar level it appears some expect out of MA in the first year.   Not realistic.   But with some luck, we could be close to that with the talent we have.   If MA had been here a couple years, I would expect a strong season.   I kinda do anyway, but there will be a learning curve.   

If you're coming into this actually wanting to give MA a chance, I'd say we should expect to be either second or third in the west.  Bama should be expected to win it with us and MSU battling for second.   I could see where it all comes together and we win the west.   I just think it'll take some time but we'll get stronger as we go.  I could see us being third in the west and then making serious noise in the SEC tournament and being around a 8 or 9 in the NCAA. 

hamARchy in the USA

Surely a third place SEC finish would be more than a reasonable expectation for Razorback basketball.  That's not what the track record of the staff that was brought in suggests, though.   Still, expectations should remain high and the coaching staff needs to rise to meet them.   We should never catch ourselves ratcheting down expectations because the coaches aren't good enough.

HoopS

June 12, 2011, 11:50:58 am #16 Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:52:30 am by HoopS
I think our coach is good enough to expect to win the west.   I just think he needs to be given at least a little bit of time first to get things how he wants them.   I wouldn't be surprised if we win the west, or come in third.   

I just think some are ready to pounce and they want to throw out high expectations now so they can pile on if we don't meet them.   We don't even know our schedule yet. 

Breems

hamARchy and cityhog want everyone to know they don't like Mike Anderson.

cityhog

Quote from: Breems on June 12, 2011, 04:30:36 pm

I like mike. I just happen to think he was the wrong hire.  I hope like heck he succeeds, but have zero faith he will. Jmho.

Breems

Quote from: cityhog on June 12, 2011, 11:55:51 pm
I like mike. I just happen to think he was the wrong hire.  I hope like heck he succeeds, but have zero faith he will. Jmho.

Then you don't like Mike.  Stop trying to fool yourself. 

PoormansRobbyHampton

I feel like it could take a few games to get the team to gel and figure the rotation out, so I think that the team we see in November won't be anywhere near the team we see in February or March.

I can see us posting 20 or 21 wins, getting an NCAA bid and winning some games there as a lower seed because this team will be very talented.

I'll say we finish 5th in the conference overall.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Breems on June 12, 2011, 04:30:36 pm

Nice guy but proven to be in over his head at this level.   With the financial commitment Long made to him, however, we're stuck for some time even if he fails to elevate his performance.

The bigger problem is Jeff Long.  Tommy Bowden was his man.  He got bailed out of that fiasco but it spoke volumes.  Either Long carries low expectations for Razorback athletics or else he's incapable of selling a good coach on coming to Arkansas.   That was confirmed with his inability to get a basketball coach with a history of competing for championships.   If Long is allowed to keep his job long enough to replace more coaches then he's going to have the whole athletic program awash in mediocrity.  If one argues that it's too soon to make that judgement then when is it too late ?  The trend is already set in motion.

By the way, thanks for your comments.  I'm honored.  Really.  There can't be many posters with an average .258 posts per day who have developed their own stalker.   ;D

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on June 13, 2011, 12:21:09 am
I feel like it could take a few games to get the team to gel and figure the rotation out, so I think that the team we see in November won't be anywhere near the team we see in February or March.

I can see us posting 20 or 21 wins, getting an NCAA bid and winning some games there as a lower seed because this team will be very talented.

I'll say we finish 5th in the conference overall.

Your expectations have a sound historical basis.  What were your expectations for Pelphrey if he had been retained ?

Breems

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 13, 2011, 09:22:43 am
Nice guy but proven to be in over his head at this level.   With the financial commitment Long made to him, however, we're stuck for some time even if he fails to elevate his performance.

The bigger problem is Jeff Long.  Tommy Bowden was his man.  He got bailed out of that fiasco but it spoke volumes.  Either Long carries low expectations for Razorback athletics or else he's incapable of selling a good coach on coming to Arkansas.   That was confirmed with his inability to get a basketball coach with a history of competing for championships.   If Long is allowed to keep his job long enough to replace more coaches then he's going to have the whole athletic program awash in mediocrity.  If one argues that it's too soon to make that judgement then when is it too late ?  The trend is already set in motion.

By the way, thanks for your comments.  I'm honored.  Really.  There can't be many posters with an average .258 posts per day who have developed their own stalker.   ;D

I just want to make sure you get the attention you desire as co-leader of the anti-Mike faction.

Be sure and stick around when we start winning games.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Breems on June 13, 2011, 09:32:26 am
I just want to make sure you get the attention you desire as co-leader of the anti-Mike faction.

Be sure and stick around when we start winning games.

Winning championships will tell the tale.  But as far as winning games, I do expect the program to rebound even with MA's coaching < pun > for a short while because of the inherited talent level.  HDN has shown us the model.

Breems

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 13, 2011, 09:37:04 am
Winning championships will tell the tale.  But as far as winning games, I do expect the program to rebound even with MA's coaching < pun > for a short while because of the inherited talent level.  HDN has shown us the model.

Pelphrey was HDN.  Mike is not HDN. 

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Breems on June 13, 2011, 09:47:59 am
Pelphrey was HDN.  Mike is not HDN. 

His coaching track record says he is.   Better person ... basketball equivalent.

Breems

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 13, 2011, 09:58:28 am
His coaching track record says he is.   Better person ... basketball equivalent.

3 games from a national championship.  That's where moral victories actually start to mean something... that you're close to something.

Mike's got a lot of talent to start off his tenure here and we'll see what he does with it.  You have to promise you're going to stick around when we get to the NCAA's, though.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Breems on June 13, 2011, 09:59:55 am
3 games from a national championship.  That's where moral victories actually start to mean something... that you're close to something.

Mike's got a lot of talent to start off his tenure here and we'll see what he does with it.  You have to promise you're going to stick around when we get to the NCAA's, though.

As noted, the program is due to bounce regardless of the coach. Getting to the NCAAs would've been expected with Pelphrey ... expectations are no less for MA. Competing for championships is what matters.  Good coaches are in the conference hunt most years with a legit shot at national honors.

Breems

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 13, 2011, 10:17:32 am
As noted, the program is due to bounce regardless of the coach. Getting to the NCAAs would've been expected with Pelphrey ... expectations are no less for MA. Competing for championships is what matters.  Good coaches are in the conference hunt most years with a legit shot at national honors.

With guys like Archie Goodwin, BJ Young, possibly Stokes, and the rest of our supporting cast, championships are legitimate possibilities. 

Grab a lawn chair, pour some lemonade, and enjoy the things to come.  No need to try and fight them positive feelings.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 13, 2011, 09:37:04 am

Winning championships are not the sole tale of a good coach/team in college basketball.  Consistent winning, conference championships, etc. are what define a good program.  NCs are icing on the cake in this sport.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

GuvHog

June 13, 2011, 10:32:08 am #31 Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:33:45 am by GUVHOG
Quote from: HoopS on June 12, 2011, 10:00:43 am
I don't care what he's getting paid.  UK, VU, Bama and UF will all be good.  MSU probably will too.  To say not finishing in the top 3 is a disgrace is wrong.   It's easy to read between the lines with some.   You didn't want MA as coach and you're ready to pounce if he doesn't come in and immediately dominate.   It took Petrino 3 years to reach a similar level it appears some expect out of MA in the first year.   Not realistic.   But with some luck, we could be close to that with the talent we have.   If MA had been here a couple years, I would expect a strong season.   I kinda do anyway, but there will be a learning curve.   

If you're coming into this actually wanting to give MA a chance, I'd say we should expect to be either second or third in the west.  Bama should be expected to win it with us and MSU battling for second.   I could see where it all comes together and we win the west.   I just think it'll take some time but we'll get stronger as we go.  I could see us being third in the west and then making serious noise in the SEC tournament and being around a 8 or 9 in the NCAA. 

Let's get one thing straight right now. Mike Anderson wasn't at the top of my list but he most certainly WAS on it. When Mike was hired, I stated while he wasn't my #1 choice he would still have my 100% support and I stand by that statement. Mike has some very good returning players along with some great recruits coming in and he's a very good coach as well so there is absolutely no reason for the Hogs to finish any lower than 3rd overall. As I stated before, a big time D1 University doesn't pay a head coach the kind of money Mike is being paid just to turn around and give him a 2 year pass. Personally, I believe this Hog team should at least make it to the round of thirty two in the NCAA Tournament and has Sweet 16 potential. As for me being one of the first to turn on Mike, you are sadly and Badly mistaken. My patience is far from being that short when it comes to head coaches. Remember, it took me 3 and a half years to turn on Pel while some turned on him in the middle of his Second SEC season.

GuvHog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 13, 2011, 10:24:51 am
Winning championships are not the sole tale of a good coach/team in college basketball.  Consistent winning, conference championships, etc. are what define a good program.  NCs are icing on the cake in this sport.

Fatty, winning championships are what head coaches are hired to do. There have been coaches with great records that were fired because their teams won no championships.

PeabodyHawg

Kentucky
Bama
Vandy
aMm
Arkansas :razorback:
Fla
UGA
Ole Miss
Tenner
USCe
LSU
Auburn

Fatty McGee

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 13, 2011, 10:37:56 am
Fatty, winning championships are what head coaches are hired to do. There have been coaches with great records that were fired because their teams won no championships.

Then those ADs are fools.  If you're consistently putting your team in the Top 20, winning conference championships, and not losing in the first round of the NCAAs, then you're a pretty good coach.

The way the NCAA Tourney is set up, it doesn't reward the best team because of its format.  It rewards the hottest team at the time, and sometimes if a team is hot for just one game, they can knock off a much better team. 

You want a guy who consistently gives you the opportunity to win in terms of talent and coaching, then you have to hope you catch lightning in a bottle in late March.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

cityhog

Quote from: Breems on June 13, 2011, 12:01:57 am
Then you don't like Mike.  Stop trying to fool yourself. 

I can like someone and have no faith in them at the same time.  They are not mutually exclusive.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 13, 2011, 09:30:51 am
Your expectations have a sound historical basis.  What were your expectations for Pelphrey if he had been retained ?

Well as I'm sure you know if you've been on Jump Ball in the past four years, I'm not a huge Pelphrey fan, so my expectations would obviously be a little different.

It stands to reason that Jeff Peterson and Glenn Bryant would still be around if Pel were retained, so that would have left us with another "big" body with Bryant which would be helpful.

My expectations for this year alone would have been the same for Pel, or Mike. If Pel had stuck around, we wouldn't have had quite as many adjustments to make, the players from the team last year would have more defined roles and be used to running Pel's "system", whatever that was.

Breems

Quote from: cityhog on June 14, 2011, 10:42:47 pm
I can like someone and have no faith in them at the same time.  They are not mutually exclusive.

At least you like him.  That'll make the faith transition much easier.