Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next years schedule

Started by LadybackBBFan, July 22, 2017, 11:23:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LadybackBBFan

Does anyone know when we will get a schedule for this year's basketball season.  I think that non-conference is generally been available by now.

wps1

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/neighbors-era-begins/

Nov. 2   Northeastern State (Exh.)   Bud Walton Arena
Nov. 10   Sam Houston State (Elem. Day)   Bud Walton Arena
Nov. 12   Samford   Bud Walton Arena
Nov. 16   Nebraska   Lincoln, Neb.
Nov. 20   Oral Roberts   Tulsa, Okla.
Nov. 24   UTEP!   El Paso, Texas
Nov. 25   New Mexico State!   El Paso, Texas
Nov. 29   Abilene Christian   Bud Walton Arena
Dec. 3   Kansas^   Lawrence, Kansas
Dec. 7   UNC Charlotte   Bud Walton Arena
Dec. 10   Tulsa   Bud Walton Arena
Dec. 17   UT Arlington   Bud Walton Arena
Dec. 21   Arizona State   Tempe, Ariz.
Dec. 28   Grambling State   Bud Walton Arena

psycHOGlogist

Pretty darn soft, and I'm ok with that.

This year.

BWS

Soft, but much better than last year.

psycHOGlogist

I was going to protest that assessment, and then I looked again at last year's schedule. Pretty similar, but Arizona State is a definite upgrade. Abilene Christian and NMSU are good small/mid-majors, too -- or at least they were last year. ACU has lost their top 4 leading scorers, and NMSU 2 of their top 3. That's actually pretty savvy scheduling.

LadybackBBFan

I like the schedule.  It is stronger than last year, but gives the team a chance to develop.  Three power 5 conference teams on the road spread throughout the schedule helps the team improve and get ready for the SEC.  Oral Roberts who beat us last year on the road will also be a test.  A good non-conference record would be 10 - 3 with team development as the schedule completed.

MoHog74

July 26, 2017, 08:29:17 pm #6 Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:47:00 pm by MoHog74
I hated to see that we aren't playing Missouri State (SMS) this year.  We've had quite a few memorable games with them through the years, and this year it was their turn to come to UA.  They bring a large contingent of fans which helps with our average attendance, plus adds a few extra dollars.  WPS 

Hogtied85

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on July 26, 2017, 01:07:44 pm
I like the schedule.  It is stronger than last year, but gives the team a chance to develop.  Three power 5 conference teams on the road spread throughout the schedule helps the team improve and get ready for the SEC.  Oral Roberts who beat us last year on the road will also be a test.  A good non-conference record would be 10 - 3 with team development as the schedule completed.

Do you think our fan base will increase this year

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Hogtired10 on July 26, 2017, 09:52:13 pm
Do you think our fan base will increase this year

Yes I think so.  If you can remember a time a good ways back in men's basketball we had a guy, a center, transfer in from ND (Joe Kleine) after his freshman year.  He was better than anyone at the post position than anyone else even though we had Scott Hastings at the time who was a good player in his own right.

We have a very similar situation this year with our women's team times two.  Gaulden and  Dungee may not be able to play this year but they will push Mason, Cosper, Zimmerman and all the other guards, even Monk.  I think a lot of our fan base is not ignorant of that and know that better times are coming.  Give Thomas, Williams, and Weaver a year of experience together and bring in a 6-4ish player to help them and it will really be exciting the following year with a lot of options.  But this year will be a preview of coming attractions that should excite the fan base.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on July 25, 2017, 04:50:16 pm
Pretty darn soft, and I'm ok with that.

This year.

Give me your early prediction of our non conference games.  We play NMSU, Nebraska, ASU, ORU and Kansas are all on the road and I would guess all have pretty good teams.   Do we get 2 or 3 wins out of this group?

psycHOGlogist

July 27, 2017, 12:53:44 am #10 Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:40:21 am by psycHOGlogist
Kansas was actually a bit of a dumpster fire last year. They have a very good guard from Jenks, OK (a transfer from UNC), but otherwise they were not too good. They won only 8 games last year, losing to MO State by 20. I don't expect them to be strong (though I don't expect us to be strong, either). They have at least one highly rated freshman recruit coming in, Micaela Wilson - a 6'2" forward.

Similarly, Nebraska was 7-22 (3-13 in a fairly weak B1G) last year, and they lost their best player to transfer. They have at least a couple top 100 recruits coming in, though.

Arizona State is a perennial contender in the Pac-12, but they lost something like 5 seniors, including two front-court starters. Their backcourt returns, however.

ORU was actually not very good last year; they were 15-15 overall. They just had a kid (the older Beatty) get very hot against us, and we (as usual) couldn't throw the ball in the ocean (except for Mason, who had a good offensive game). ORU will also be in a weird emotional space next season, as one of their players (the younger Beatty) committed suicide in the off-season. Never clear how that will affect the team, or her sister. Really awful situation.

I honestly don't know too much about NMSU. They had a great season last year (24-7, WAC Champion, lost by 8 to Stanford in the first round of the NCAAT), but they had a senior laden roster. They will have at least 4 JC players joining their roster, along with some returners (including their co-leading scorer, a 5'11" shooting guard/wing, and their starting PG).

We could actually win several of these games, though their being on the road won't help us at all.

Picking THESE particular P5 programs to play this year was very savvy. No one will really be shocked if we lose, but winning might grab some attention.

But you asked for a prediction. Now, keep in mind that I am on record as saying we are not going to be very good at all next year. Even though 4 of our top 5 scorers return, none averaged double figures. We actually have no proven scorers at all, and an inexperienced/non-existent frontcourt. That's not a good recipe for success. So I'm predicting a struggle of a season as we evaluate our talent and coach up our youngsters.

If we have a winning record in the preseason, I will be very happy. I know LadyBBBF predicted 10-3, but I'm more pessimistic.

W - Nov. 10   Sam Houston State (Elem. Day)   H
W - Nov. 12   Samford   H
L - Nov. 16   Nebraska   A
L - Nov. 20   Oral Roberts   A
W - Nov. 24   UTEP   A
L - Nov. 25   New Mexico State   A/N
W - Nov. 29   Abilene Christian   H
L - Dec. 3   Kansas   A
W - Dec. 7   UNC Charlotte   H
W - Dec. 10   Tulsa   H
W - Dec. 17   UT Arlington   H
L - Dec. 21   Arizona State   A
W - Dec. 28   Grambling State   A

Several of these games could go either way (Nebraska, ORU, NMSU, Kansas, Tulsa, UTA, maybe others). I suspect we'll lose one of the UNCC, ACU, or UTA games at home, but I won't predict any of them as an L. To repeat myself again, I just don't see us being very good. So I'm looking at 8-5 as a good slate. If we're better than that, I'll be quite happy, but I won't be surprised by 7-6 either. The SEC schedule is going to be very tough for us, imo. Not sure who we beat, except maybe Auburn and/or Florida.

LadybackBBFan

With the experience that we have coming back at the guard and small forward positions along with Swenson, I would be disappointed in a record of 7-6 non-conference and 2-14 in the SEC as suggested by physcHOGlist.  When I said 10-3 would be a good record I meant that to be a stretch.  9 - 4 would be okay.  I believe that good coaching can make a difference - that has been missing for way too many years on offense and three years on defense.

If our record is as bad as physcHOGlist suggests, fans will not return this year.  Winning is the only thing that will solve the attendance problem.

psycHOGlogist

Maybe I'm being too cynical. It's just that Cosper has not shown that she is a consistent scorer, and neither has Monk. Both have been very good in streaks and then ice cold. Mason has a good jumper but has not been able to stay on the court due to fouls/defensive liability. Coaching could improve all of these issues, absolutely. I am really hoping it will. We will see what Northcross-Baker and maybe Spangler can contribute, but freshmen and JC players usually take a little while to adjust.

Swenson, Zimmerman, Thomas, Weaver, Williams (and Stout? Not sure where to put her) -- that scares me as a front court. Coaching can't make them taller, but could address some of the other issues. 

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on July 27, 2017, 10:57:45 am
Maybe I'm being too cynical. It's just that Cosper has not shown that she is a consistent scorer, and neither has Monk. Both have been very good in streaks and then ice cold. Mason has a good jumper but has not been able to stay on the court due to fouls/defensive liability. Coaching could improve all of these issues, absolutely. I am really hoping it will. We will see what Northcross-Baker and maybe Spangler can contribute, but freshmen and JC players usually take a little while to adjust.

Swenson, Zimmerman, Thomas, Weaver, Williams (and Stout? Not sure where to put her) -- that scares me as a front court. Coaching can't make them taller, but could address some of the other issues. 

I do not know if you attend games regularly like I do, but there are a lot of things that offensively we have been horrible for a long time.  Recently I heard a quote from Geno about what he thought was the most important item to his success and the reason a lot of teams are not successful - it initially surprised me, but I recognized it as a reason for Arkansas's failure the past two years.  Let me quote: "If you have a good shot - take it". All players on his team recognize that and go to the board for a rebound when they see a good shot so that accounts for their offensive rebounds.   Geno also said if you do not have a good shot and you take it, you probably will be on the bench the rest of the game.  Under Dykes, I saw us pass up a lot of good shots - then taking bad shots.  Why do you think our shooting % has been so low - it is just that reason.  Players were afraid to take open 3 point shots - Dykes told Jackson he wanted her to have more free throws than 3 point shots - so she would drive and shoot an off balance shot while mostly not getting fouled as that was not her strength.  Monk takes a lot of bad shots on drives with wide open 3's available - that will change with good coaching.  Mason early in a shot clock passes up wide open shots - that will change with good coaching.  Cosper had injuries and personnel issues last year.  I expect her to be much better this year.
Williams showed potential last year and I expect her to have a good sophomore year.  The question mark is how good Thomas and Weaver are as freshmen.  We have had good freshman post players in the past, but most require a year to adjust.

psycHOGlogist

You are helping me believe, LBBBF! :-)

flippinhogmana

I agree with LBBF and especially her quote of Geno.  Shooting is about rhythm and freedom is a big part of that.  If you have one eye on the bench when you shoot the results are generally not favorable. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

July 27, 2017, 07:17:59 pm #16 Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:31:21 pm by nwahogfan1
Quote from: psycHOGlogist on July 27, 2017, 10:57:45 am

I understand you being a little bit negative because we do not have a natural big time shooter or scorers on this team.  I can not name one lady who I think right now to average 15 PPG or do we have any big time natural rebounder.  I can not name anyone right now I can predict 8+ RPG.  Coaching with lots of shooting practices can help some with confidence and form but so much in shooting is born in a person and is developed over years.  Also Coaches can practice on toughness and blocking out which really helps but rebounders are born with natural want to and toughness plus size really helps but want to go get those rebounds is a must.  Hard to put that trait into that person .

But lets hope we have enough talent and want to on this team who really want to win,  are buying in to their new coaches and are willing to put in the hard work and extra time for the sake of the team.  Plus lets hope our new coaches know how to push all the right buttons with this team. 

thanks for your prediction and to LBBF.  I will try to positive with my predictions because of our new coaches and guess that we will go 9-4  or 10-3 in the preseason. 

I  am assuming SEC will be very difficult again but these ladies have been though those wars before and so I predict we will win 6 and if chips fall right maybe 7 or 8.     Would winning 16 to 18 games get us into any post season tournaments?

flippinhogmana

Mason and Cosper will both average double digits, and I think Williams will too, if not thomas.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: flippinhogmana on July 27, 2017, 09:42:06 pm
Mason and Cosper will both average double digits, and I think Williams will too, if not thomas.

Quote from: flippinhogmana on July 27, 2017, 09:42:06 pm

Hope you are right but getting an average of 40 PPG from these 4 ladies seem a bit much.  Cosper being a Sr. should average over 10 ppg but I just can not say it right now.   The other 3 ladies averaging over 10 a game is to me definitely a reach but I hope your right.

flippinhogmana

Hope you are right but getting an average of 40 PPG from these 4 ladies seem a bit much.  Cosper being a Sr. should average over 10 ppg but I just can not say it right now.   The other 3 ladies averaging over 10 a game is to me definitely a reach but I hope your right.

In the last three years, even under Dykes, the Hogs have averaged 60 ppg.  Mike's team will average more than that.  Add up the points.  Next year Cosper, Mason, Monk, Swenson, Williams, and Thomas are our most likely candidates to average double figures because the ball will be in their hands and they aren't afraid of shooting and will be even less so under Mike. 

psycHOGlogist

From everything I read and hear from Coach Neighbors, he definitely wants his offense to chuck up open shots and not run weave after weave hoping one will magically appear. That should -- IF we can MAKE them -- improve our scoring. In the past 3 seasons, Neighbors' UW teams averaged 75, 71, and 85 (!!) ppg. Now, they had Kelsey Plum, but still -- to score 85 ppg, you can't have people who are afraid to shoot on the floor.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on July 28, 2017, 08:38:40 am
From everything I read and hear from Coach Neighbors, he definitely wants his offense to chuck up open shots and not run weave after weave hoping one will magically appear. That should -- IF we can MAKE them -- improve our scoring. In the past 3 seasons, Neighbors' UW teams averaged 75, 71, and 85 (!!) ppg. Now, they had Kelsey Plum, but still -- to score 85 ppg, you can't have people who are afraid to shoot on the floor.

Even if you subtract Plum's scoring average last year you have our entire team scoring average from the reminder of their team's scoring-Plum averaged up close to thirty.

Last year Monk average 9 ppg, double figures for her is not a stretch.  Mason averaged doubles last year in preseason, her sophomore season under a different regime should produced doubles for the whole year,  Cosper averaged nine in her sophomore season, doubles are extremely like as she is likely to be the primary scorer this year;  Williams is an offensive rebounder, with stickbacks, doubles should not be a problem;  Swenson averaged close to doubles last year too, and she will have more of a free hand this year.  Thomas wasnt a big scorer in HS, but she is capable, but may concentrate on defense. 

LadybackBBFan

Kelsey Brooks went from about 5 points per game her freshman year to around 14 her sophomore year.  That is generally when players make the big jump.  She dropped off her third year as she was injured and that is when trouble started on Dykes team.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on July 28, 2017, 10:49:44 am
Kelsey Brooks went from about 5 points per game her freshman year to around 14 her sophomore year.  That is generally when players make the big jump.  She dropped off her third year as she was injured and that is when trouble started on Dykes team.

that is true coach, it also happened to Cosper.  She never was herself last year, didnt join the team until late, and never hit her stride.