Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Predictions for next year wbb

Started by flippinhogmana, May 15, 2017, 06:05:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

1)  Devin Cosper will have an exceptional year
2) our tandem of Williams and Thomas will in large part make up for our lack of height-they will both be rebounding machines.  Both have already demonstrated that (Williams when she stayed out of foul trouble was our best rebounder last year, both offensively and defensively)
3) the team will play with more heart this year (not discounting their effort last year, but they will be better in that department this coming year)
4) Malica Monk will improve as a distributor of the ball not just a driver and slasher
5) Swenson and Zimmer will emerge as valuable role players and contributors
6) we will have a similar turnaround in conference wins as the softball team had this year
7) we will make the Ncaa tournament

Even if we dont get any more transfers that give us more height, we will be tough in a lot of games next year.  The team will play with confidence and shoot without conscience or fear of criticism from the bench.  This coach simply knows how to build a team and a program.  As some of his peers have said, he is a difference maker.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

BWS

I don't think it could get any worse then it was last season, but I don't feel we have the personnel right now to compete in the SEC and for tournament berths. There's still a lot of question marks heading into next season. With Jackson gone, who takes over as leading scorer and go to person? Cosper, maybe. To compete in the SEC, you gotta have strong post players. In terms of size, were not a very big team and the post players we have next year are either newcomers or not fully proven. Neighbors is a great coach but he's not a miracle worker. Its going to take some time and good recruiting.

psycHOGlogist

Hoo, boy, am I not going to make friends with this post.

1) We will struggle again to score.

2) As disappointing a season as JJ had last year, we will miss having her ability to hit the three.

3) We will continue to play tough defense, and we will have much better tactics on defense.

4) We will run some actual offensive sets, and the team will understand how they are supposed to result in open shots. This will be a big improvement.

5) We will not have any SEC-ready post players. All of our 4/5 players are projects (Weaver, Williams, Thomas) or not natural posts (Swenson).

6) Our W/L record will be very comparable to this year's, though we will be playing better basketball overall. I think we will struggle in the preseason, no matter how easy we schedule, because we will have so little experience in the paint. (If our record is better, it will be because the SEC itself will be down next year. I expect Auburn and Kentucky, in particular, to be significantly worse than they were this year. Kentucky has a shallow roster and lost their best players, and Auburn lost the only players on their team who can shoot.)

7) We will lose games because we have less talent, not because we have worse tactics.

This sounds pessimistic, but like flippin, I have confidence in the staff and HC to develop players. I just think next year is too early to expect much progress. I will be hoping I am very wrong all summer.

ETA - I was typing while BWS posted above. I agree with him completely.

flippinhogmana

Washington was a guard dominated offense. 
We have Mason, Cosper (who had an off year last year mainly because she was injured early and never really got going), Monk and the new JC girl. 
We have forwards Zimmermann, and Swenson who can definitely hit the kick out three. 
We have Williams, and the two freshmen Thomas and Weaver. 

We also have Stout that can give up minutes at forward. 

we will be better than some of you think.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Osahor led the country in rebounding and held down the paint. We don't have an Osahor. Or Washington's guards.

Not trying to be ornery, just not as optimistic as you are. I hope you get to give me a big "told you so" in March!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on May 15, 2017, 08:54:37 pm
Osahor led the country in rebounding and held down the paint. We don't have an Osahor. Or Washington's guards.

Not trying to be ornery, just not as optimistic as you are. I hope you get to give me a big "told you so" in March!

I am not saying we will even win half of our SEC games, but a lot more than one.  Williams missed about half the season, but she did score in double figures a few times.  Swenson scored in double figures more.  Both can be effective in a wide open offense.  I think there are more building blocks there than what you do.  We will have huge vulnerabilities against very quality teams, but believing amounts to a lot.  Just wait and see.  We had so much more potential than what we lived up to this year, I think we will exceed our potential this coming year.  Believing is the difference. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

3kgthog

Having a coach that's not divisive goes a long way. It's amazing what a group can accomplish when they don't dread going to practice every day.

Now, if the official Hog app would just stop posting every single tweet Jimmy Dykes sends. He makes it VERY easy to see why he didn't connect with young women. But I guess the UA still wants that jackwagon representing its women's program on its official app.

hog63

I have great confidence in Coach Neighbors to get it turned around however next year will not be the year for that. WE just don't have the players in place to have a big turn around year. I think everyone inside the program knows that but of course they will not voice it. The next year we should start seeing the change.

hawg1221

I see them being better. Both the play and attitudes will be better. The cancer is gone, but you don't completely recover overnight. Remember, the SEC is a pretty good women's basketball league. I do predict that they will have a comparable turn around to that of softball. The softball team had a losing record in the SEC and the basketball team will as well. They will compete in every game, but just won't have what it takes to get many W's. It won't be because of effort. Unlike softball, where the SEC is looked at this year as so much more dominant nationally from top to bottom, women's basketball in this league has much more national competition for the coveted spots in the NCAA Tournament. That's just one of many reasons they won't make the NCAA Tournament.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 16, 2017, 08:09:31 am
Now, if the official Hog app would just stop posting every single tweet Jimmy Dykes sends. He makes it VERY easy to see why he didn't connect with young women. But I guess the UA still wants that jackwagon representing its women's program on its official app.

Wow! Is that still happening?!?! Someone needs to fix that. Yesterday.

LadybackBBFan

A lot depends upon Wilson's decision in my opinion.  She is the one player on the team that can generate her own shot which is important when the clock is running down.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on May 16, 2017, 01:11:22 pm
A lot depends upon Wilson's decision in my opinion.  She is the one player on the team that can generate her own shot which is important when the clock is running down.
Yep, a lot of the above post failed to mention her. She will be the X-Factor this coming season.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on May 17, 2017, 01:33:31 pm
Yep, a lot of the above post failed to mention her. She will be the X-Factor this coming season.

No one failed to mention her- they didnt mention her because it looks like she wont be here.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 17, 2017, 01:50:36 pm
No one failed to mention her- they didnt mention her because it looks like she wont be here.

I agree but we must wait and see.  Until she announces that she is going somewhere, we always have hope.