Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think that one did it

Started by Porked Tongue, October 08, 2017, 09:34:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 08, 2017, 09:55:30 am
So, who would you want as AD?
David Bazzel. Or Billy Ray Smith Jr. Or Jake Bequette.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Lanny

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 08, 2017, 09:55:34 am
We're actually getting worse.
It's hard to argue this last statement
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

hogcard1964

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:51:11 am
HiM,

Paying that buyout is a bad investment that I don't see happening soon.  Why does anyone spend that type of money to fire a coach?  The first head that needs to roll is the person that gave this buyout.

If Paul Petrino and John L Smith can find a job, Bielema can find another home.  I see this happening possibly soon and Arkansas doesn't have to pay the full buyout.

+1000

I'm sure his agent has already been told to start headlining for him.

Lanny

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 08, 2017, 09:58:13 am
Jake Bequette......hmm
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

mizzouman

Bazzel?  You would have a trophy after every game and 20 more yearly award ceremonies.

HoggyCat

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 08, 2017, 09:39:18 am
How responsible was he for hiring BP? I suspect you know better than I. I've seen the BP hire and the BB hire. One was ok and one hasn't turned out very well

I'm also a little curious if some of the Long hatred is driven by lack of access to the program under Long

HE DIDN'T WANT BP!!!!!!  He had an agreement with Grobe.  A board member is why BP got hired.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

mizzouman

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 08, 2017, 10:00:08 am
HE DIDN'T WANT BP!!!!!!  He had an agreement with Grobe.  A board member is why BP got hired.
How do you know this?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:59:24 am
Jake Bequette......hmm
But probably not Jake because he just left G'town law school to become an Army Ranger.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 08, 2017, 09:56:23 am
Stop saying we, bama fan.

Ok, "the Hogs"

And I'm no longer a staunch Bama fan.  I'm leaning more toward my family's alma mater these days.  N.I.U.

Teddyhawgeddy

Petrino fell in Longs lap after he tried to hire Bowden and Grobe. He was pretty much forced to hire him and took great personal comfort in firing him. Longs coaching hires are John L Smith, Bielema, Dykes, and Mike Anderson (which we ALL thought at the time was a great move but letting Arkansas kids go to Kentucky and no Sweet Sixteens are getting a little old) Hes had nothing to do with the Track and Baseball Programs which, ironically, are the only 2 winners on campus. The kids do go to class and other than the kneeling thing have pretty much acted right. We are no longer even a danger to any of the elite football programs and we have been as recently as the early part of this decade.

jcbville

Quote from: cram224 on October 08, 2017, 09:50:45 am
I hear some of the BOT is a$$ kissers to JL. Any truth to that? Lanny I'm as sick as you.

BoT is not upset with JL because BoT made the decisions everyone is so upset with alongside JL. JL is the face of an entire group of people who made these decisions with JL. Personal feelings based on Civil War politics clouds that truth here it would seem. Which is strange and silly.

There is no unilateral decision making by JL on coaches contracts, salaries, or hiring and firing.

The "money" closest to the BoT is also not personally upset with JL for the same reasons as listed above. Does that mean they can't see change is needed and they're not upset at all?  No. But they don't personally blame JL.

Jimbob111

Quote from: mizzouman on October 08, 2017, 09:49:40 am
No coach takes a reduced buyout just so he can get out.

Since when? Coaches, like successful players, are arrogant as a group. You don't think a coach has ever told a prospective employer that he took a reduced buyout because the "admin" or other factors were holding him back from success?  That is EXACTLY what BB accused Alvarez of doing in not paying his assistants enough to keep them. NOW we see why BB couldn't keep assistants but when he came to Arkansas, he was lauded as doing the right thing to get assistants who would be well compensated.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

ShadowHawg

Broyles made bonehead hires after Holtz. Picking Hatfield over Johnson set this program back. Then Crowe, Kines, and Ford.

Hiring coaches is always a crap shoot. At least there will be a legit search unlike when Broyles ran the show.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:41:04 am
I don't know how the BB hire was negotiated I was certain Gundy was replacing John L. Smith

Bielema was hired before JLS was hired. He sent the letter on the spring, contrary to what Jeffi says. There's articles on the internet hatll back that up. Long said not long after he hired JLS that he had gotten letters from various people, including a prominent head coach discussing character, etc.

He needed to hire JLS so he could fire him, win or lose.  If he flopped, he's fired.  If he won big, he could fire him over he real estate deal in Kentucky.  If you think for a second Jeff Long didn't know about that, you're lying to yourself. Long knew about it, just like he and everyone else knew about Dorrell.  He just lied his way through it to fire Petrino because he didn't want him to begin with.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hassettsportsman

Only Jerry Jones can fix our plate!  He can run the Cowboys and Hog Athletic Dept at the same time.  He can raise serious $$$ from his pals.....and he can recruit too!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Teddyhawgeddy on October 08, 2017, 10:01:51 am
Petrino fell in Longs lap after he tried to hire Bowden and Grobe. He was pretty much forced to hire him and took great personal comfort in firing him. Longs coaching hires are John L Smith, Bielema, Dykes, and Mike Anderson (which we ALL thought at the time was a great move but letting Arkansas kids go to Kentucky and no Sweet Sixteens are getting a little old) Hes had nothing to do with the Track and Baseball Programs which, ironically, are the only 2 winners on campus. The kids do go to class and other than the kneeling thing have pretty much acted right. We are no longer even a danger to any of the elite football programs and we have been as recently as the early part of this decade.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm happy with Mike Anderson. No he's not paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to recruits but nobody else will be either for a while.

HawgWild

Quote from: Danimal on October 08, 2017, 09:41:41 am
Why would he take a reduced buyout when he's pretty much ruined his career? It's not like he's gonna be headed to a program of any significance. I'd take every penny I could if I were in his shoes.

Got to agree with you on this. Why would any major university reach out for a head coach with a less than .500 win record. Try justifying this to your fan base. Assistant/ position coach is the best he can hope for.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 08, 2017, 09:55:34 am
Regardless, if he refuses, give him his money and get him out of here.  I'm sorry, but he's just an awful coach and he's destroying what little brand we have left.

We're actually getting worse.
Yep.+1000

HawgWild

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 08, 2017, 10:06:20 am
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm happy with Mike Anderson. No he's not paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to recruits but nobody else will be either for a while.

I've not given up on Anderson either.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 08, 2017, 10:05:24 am
Bielema was hired before JLS was hired. He sent the letter on the spring, contrary to what Jeffi says. There's articles on the internet hatll back that up. Long said not long after he hired JLS that he had gotten letters from various people, including a prominent head coach discussing character, etc.

He needed to hire JLS so he could fire him, win or lose.  If he flopped, he's fired.  If he won big, he could fire him over he real estate deal in Kentucky.  If you think for a second Jeff Long didn't know about that, you're lying to yourself. Long knew about it, just like he and everyone else knew about Dorrell.  He just lied his way through it to fire Petrino because he didn't want him to begin with.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 08, 2017, 09:47:29 am
I do think he'll not be unfeathered when a new search begins.

On Dykes, he is for responsible for that but internally the UA higher ups loved(at first) that hire.  But later did blame Long for being so wrong on Dykes true personality and embarrassing chauvinism.

Long is the $1.2M athletic director.  The buck stops with him.   His attempt to hire his second rate coach buddy Bowden showed very poor judgment and a lack of regard for the future of Razorback football.  Very similar deal with basketball.  MA another career underachiever, this one hard to fire because of his small cult following.   Decision to go with John L Smith epic fail.  Same with Dykes. Suckered by both BB's and MA's agents.  Hard to make a case for retaining Long.  Time to clean house.

hogcard1964

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 08, 2017, 10:11:45 am
You folks have got to get real.  JL isn't going anywhere unless he chooses to take another job.  The national industry loves him, he's done a great job with UA fundraising and funds, he's improved facilities all over the campus, the whole grades thing, and no scandals.  No Dorothy, Long isn't going anywhere!  All of our disgust should be focused where it belongs, ON BB!  Look, it can be  seen all over the country with coaching hires and it would take a new thread to list all of them, bad coaching hires.  It's part of the business and is nothing more than a crap shoot!

He's responsible for the football program. He made these hires, this is all on him.

wachhog

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 08, 2017, 09:50:23 am
No, BB was not a great hire at the time, it just looked like a great hire on the face of it. But, those that knew what really went on at Wisconsin knew that most of the success there was due to Alvarez.
Perception is not always reality, we got the reality.
And a good AD would have known that as well.
Plus, a look at the performance of the Hog  football program since joining the SEC would have shown that Wisconsin-style football was unlikely to work at Arkansas. Our success was with an innovative coach who could keep a step ahead of the competition.
I think if Long is allowed to hire a new coach, the fans will be skeptical from the start. The fan base needs cause for excitement.

Porked Tongue

BOT is responsible for Long.
Long is responsible for BB.
BB is responsible for the FB team.
Assistants are responsible for their position players.
Players are responsible for their play.

That's an endless argument.

I'm not trying to be a Jeff Long apologist or prop him up.  Everyone has their heels dug in on him on the pro or con side.  Few minds are changing there.  I'm not going to get caught up in who he "almost hired" or "lucky hires".  There are so many things like that we never even hear about that it's a wash.  I can only go on what he has hired.  He gets the benefit of both the good and the bad.

All of that is to say, this BB end game and the next hire will undoubtedly be his biggest call.  I will hope he hits a home run when that happens.

I'm a Hog fan, why would I want anything else but a successful football hire?

On BB 'leaving money on the table", I think the UA has a lot of outs.  His buyout is only as good as the particulars in his entire contract.  Let's just say he's not a lock to "earn" that full buyout.

Look beneath the obvious.

Wants2Win

Bret's teams will take care of him. maybe this year. maybe next. I want jeff long gone before that happens. he's done nothing but improve jeff long. i do not want him hiring the next football coach or having any input whatsoever. Hog fans will be here long after jeff is gone.

Porked Tongue

I just don't see this as being a messy divorce.  Knowing the history of the two main parties involved, I think you will see an amicable divorce.

Even is it's just for show, you have to know this won't be messy. 

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 08, 2017, 12:46:43 pm
I just don't see this as being a messy divorce.  Knowing the history of the two main parties involved, I think you will see an amicable divorce.

I hope you are correct and I hope it happens In November.

Dirty

Kansas!  Tap your flip flops three times coach!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 08, 2017, 09:34:39 am
Heard as early as preseason that BB might be receptive to an early buyout negotiation. 

Once the TCU and A&M games finished, I heard it again.  Personal pride is eating at him on and off the field.  Newborn in the house and a desire to control his fate a bit are contributing factors.

Rest of the season will tell the tale but getting just 1 win or less in conference I believe is an automatic departure.  Maybe even 2 conference wins.

As much as it is the losing, the team has no real unity, trust, effort and ability to respond to game crisis.  0-16 when trailing at the half.  No killer instinct. Seemingly no true fight in them.

You can bet the "short list" is already being edited.  Stadium expansion ticket sales are a factor.

I think Long will do it if BB doesn't fall on his sword.

Now, if the tide turns all bets are off.

Sounds reasonable and what I expected.  Bielema will want to leave if it isn't working and we will find a way.  He is too young and has a career to try and salvage.  For us it isn't personal but a coach hired to do a job and is failing. A shame we have a wasted season.  But this will obviously be best for everyone whether it is a resignation or firing.  The stadium expansion pressure helps assure it.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

You are disappointing so many hoping for messy.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rtr

The problem for JL, Steinmetz, Bobbit and the BOT are that events are dictating this and not personal preferences.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Hoggish1

October 08, 2017, 01:12:11 pm #81 Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:44:19 pm by Hoggish1
Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 08, 2017, 09:34:39 am
Heard as early as preseason that BB might be receptive to an early buyout negotiation. 

Once the TCU and A&M games finished, I heard it again.  Personal pride is eating at him on and off the field.  Newborn in the house and a desire to control his fate a bit are contributing factors.

Rest of the season will tell the tale but getting just 1 win or less in conference I believe is an automatic departure.  Maybe even 2 conference wins.

As much as it is the losing, the team has no real unity, trust, effort and ability to respond to game crisis.  0-16 when trailing at the half.  No killer instinct. Seemingly no true fight in them.

You can bet the "short list" is already being edited.  Stadium expansion ticket sales are a factor.

I think Long will do it if BB doesn't fall on his sword.

Now, if the tide turns all bets are off.

Are you sure about this.  If Long does anything, all bets are off...

HardCore

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 08, 2017, 09:55:30 am
So, who would you want as AD?

Over what we have now? 

How about Forrest Gump? 
A loboomized Jack Nicholson?
Chumley the Walrus?

Who gives a turkey, those are all improvements.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on October 08, 2017, 01:09:35 pm
The problem for JL, Steinmetz, Bobbit and the BOT are that events are dictating this and not personal preferences.

Why is that a problem?  They can make a business decision more easily if Bielema doesn't first.  I think PT is right.  This will be worked out mutually.  I hate the Hogs lost but the SC game should have put an end to this for everyone. 

Porkchop#1

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 08, 2017, 09:41:47 am
Sure. He hasn't done a horrible job hiring coaches. CBB was a great hire at the time. It just didn't work out.
And that, is what makes it a bad hire.

Hoggish1

How responsible was he for hiring BP? I suspect you know better than I. I've seen the BP hire and the BB hire. One was ok and one hasn't turned out very well

So which is it?  He wanted to hire Bowden, then Grobe, then had BP stuffed down his throat.  Tell us which of those two BP or BB was HIS hire.

31to6

At this point I don't have any ill will toward CBB.

I like the guy. I think he is sincere and that he means well. I think he truly believed he could get it done.

Unlike other coaching changes, this one isn't personal.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: 31to6 on October 08, 2017, 01:17:45 pm
At this point I don't have any ill will toward CBB.

I like the guy. I think he is sincere and that he means well. I think he truly believed he could get it done.

Unlike other coaching changes, this one isn't personal.
We've had every kind of departure imaginable.  Time to try for a harmonious one. 

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:37:14 am
Do you want the current AD hiring the next coach?
Bwahhhhh!!!! Think I orta start a poll on dat one. Wait a minit , its already covered.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

RexMentor

Here's what I have been hearing over the last four weeks. (Mind you, I have not been close to the program for more than 15 years, but occasionally hear things, still.)
1. Money has been promised to buy out CBB. No deep pocket friends of the program are involved - just yet.
2. Very quiet talk is being conducted with CBB's agents, or so I've been told. CBB may or may not be aware of it. They'd rather fund a smaller buyout, if possible. A six win season would be hard to defend but if that happens look for a renegotiated one-year deal with a small (less than 11 mil- probably 3 to 5 mil) buy out. And changes would have to be made in assistants. (Note the plural). If he wants to stay, he needs to figure out a way to 7 wins. Something like that would have to continue going forward.
3. If the wheels fall off -- i.e. six or fewer wins -- a change will be made regardless of buy out.
4. And this is critical -- the stadium expansion is being funded with bonds. For the first time, a UA Athletic Department has pledged revenue in the form of bond payments to finance a project. Those seats HAVE TO BE SOLD. They are having trouble doing that and it gets magnified with each loss. Long isn't in jeopardy yet. But if those seats aren't sold, he could be in 2018 if the football program doesn't get to a competitive level.
5. Personal opinion: This is a fragile football team right now. I think some players are on the lip of giving up and I think CBB is very close to losing this team. Additionally, he doesn't look to be in a good place. He's young and figures he could coach a few more years. The question he has to answer is this: Do I want to do it at Arkansas and if I do, will it kill me?
6. That ball is in CBBs court. Either he makes a decision, or it will be made for him.
7. As fans, we should support the players, attend the games and hope it will all work out -- if not now, the next year. That requires patience.   Right now, we need all of that we can get.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 09:44:06 am
Our illustrious AD isn't as squeaky clean as he would have us believe.

http://www.utimes.pitt.edu/?p=944
So what's your point? Kinda grabbing the air for something here aren't you?

Iwastherein1969

I'm also a little curious if some of the Long hatred is driven by lack of access to the program under Long
double digit wins in back to back seasons at ARK with a high ranking of #3....well, I'd say that was a little better than an "okay" hire....the other hire has turned into the second largest dumpster fire in UA football history
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

GuvHog

Hire Terry Don Phillips as interim AD, then conduct a thorough nationwide search for a new AD that is great at raising money and also very good at Hiring Head Coaches.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

31to6

Quote from: GuvHog on October 08, 2017, 01:50:25 pm
Hire Terry Don Phillips as interim AD, then conduct a thorough nationwide search for a new AD that is great at raising money and also very good at Hiring Head Coaches.
There are a few G5 schools that just seem to have a knack for consistently bringing in coaches that keep their programs winning after they send yet another coach up to P5.

Interview those guys...

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: mizzouman on October 08, 2017, 10:00:54 am
How do you know this?

I think it was Mushchamp that was about to be our coach. Not Grobe he already came and gone.

NO NO NO I don't want Long hiring anybody! I wan an Arkansas man leading Arkansas.

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Roaringboar

Quote from: Lanny on October 08, 2017, 09:51:11 am
HiM,

Paying that buyout is a bad investment that I don't see happening soon.  Why does anyone spend that type of money to fire a coach?  The first head that needs to roll is the person that gave this buyout.

If Paul Petrino and John L Smith can find a job, Bielema can find another home.  I see this happening possibly soon and Arkansas doesn't have to pay the full buyout.

Well that's the thing though, it's not really an investment, it's a bailout......when we agreed to the $15 Mill buyout deal, were investing when he signed the contract because we were saying we don't want you to go anywhere for sure......and I personally think he was worried we might get a reputation like A-State. Look at what happened to A-State....They got Malzan, Frieze, and Harsin and each one left after a season.....I mean, I think that was a real fear, that we'd get someone who'd start doing great and then a program like Texas might swoop in and snatch them up from us with all of their cash and resources.....Let's face it, we couldn't win in a bidding war against a big blue blood football school like Texas , USC, or even LSU....I think he though there was no way we could ever pay a coach something like 6-8 Mill to coach.....And if Bielema had been as good as we thought he was, I think Long was worried that could be a real possibility.......I'm not saying that's a good reason, it's just an excuse, but I understand his mindset because after John L Smith's nightmare of a year and all of Petrino's crap, we were in a bumpy place as a program......Long had our best intrest in mind I think, he was just misguided.....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

Mr. Porkleone

Porked....how much are we willing to pay next coach to attract a home run?

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Danimal on October 08, 2017, 09:41:41 am
Why would he take a reduced buyout when he's pretty much ruined his career? It's not like he's gonna be headed to a program of any significance. I'd take every penny I could if I were in his shoes.

I think it depends on Nebraska. No big name will want to go to Nebraska, where they face high expectations with worse recruiting than we have.

But CBB has proven he can win their division, so they might be intetested.

He might not want to pass that shot at redemption of they come calling.