Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much of an impact will Keon Hatcher have in 2016?

Started by HogMantheIntruder, June 01, 2016, 10:29:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogMantheIntruder

So Keon was the guy, before last season, that most of us thought would be our best option at receiver, aside from maybe Reed. I felt the same way, largely based on the improvement he had made throughout the previous season. Of course, we all know what happened, but I don't think any of us expected that without Keon, we were going to have one of the most efficient passing attacks and one of the best groups of WR's in the country. The emergence of Drew Morgan, Jared Cornelius, Cody Hollister, and Dominique Reed was a thing of beauty to watch.

We are entering 2016 in a unique position for Arkansas (sans the CBP era); we are loaded at WR, and to get significant PT I think he will have to be consistent and elite. The expectation has changed drastically since Keon last played. Dropped passes are no longer acceptable. How good is he compared to what we now know we have?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

31to6

Quote from: Poppa Tart on June 01, 2016, 10:29:17 pm
How good is he compared to what we now know we have?
He was a dependable and QB-friendly target in 2015, esp on 3rd down.

He is not the most dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands which limits his big play potential, however.

It really all depends on who earns reps in practice and who best gets in sync with AA.

I expect him to be a leader and get ~500-650 yards, 5-6 TDs.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

longpig

Be no surprise if Hatcher and Morgan struggle to lock down starting roles.
Don't be scared, be smart.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: factchecker on June 01, 2016, 11:23:21 pm

Bonus clip from Texas Bowl:

Ya, so I'm gonna need you to go ahead and respond EVERY TIME I start a thread. That was friggin' awesome!
   -Harry Solomon

Hogarusa

I expect him to be the leading WR in targets and yards
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Bacons Rebellion

Hatcher was the best blocker on the team in 2014. A lot of people will feel his impact.

jdelo77

Hatcher, Morgan and Reed will get their reps , Sprinkle will as well ...I also look for Cornelius to take a few punts to the house this year ...

The NewEra

IMO, Morgan is THE stud receiver on this team.  I'll take a guy who shows up in a big way on game day any day over someone who sets the world on fire on paper.  Morgan was one of the best in the SEC last year while playing with a bum shoulder half of the year. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: The NewEra on June 02, 2016, 09:45:29 am
IMO, Morgan is THE stud receiver on this team.  I'll take a guy who shows up in a big way on game day any day over someone who sets the world on fire on paper.  Morgan was one of the best in the SEC last year while playing with a bum shoulder half of the year.
IMO, Reed opened it up for everybody and I hope he picks up where he left off.

bphi11ips

Keon Hatcher would be on a NFL roster had he not broken his foot in a strong performance against Toledo.  We're fortunate to have him back.  Hope he stays healthy. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogfan14

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on June 02, 2016, 08:07:51 am
Hatcher was the best blocker on the team in 2014. A lot of people will feel his impact.

This is an underrated part of why he'll probably play more than any other WR

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 02, 2016, 09:51:12 am
IMO, Reed opened it up for everybody and I hope he picks up where he left off.

Yep, the deep threat/burner was the missing piece, opened it up for everybody.  Just the perceived threat is enough to keep D's honest.  Also don't discount the fact that the TE/WR's have had their position coaches in place the longest.  That has to help with continuity and chemistry. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hogs run wild

i'm curious to see who the starting WRs will be on game day. we've got weapons at this position!
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

HogPharmer

Big question is will we have a QB who can hit these receivers with the big SEC defensive lines standing in front of them?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on June 02, 2016, 11:52:40 am
Big question is will we have a QB who can hit these receivers with the big SEC defensive lines standing in front of them?
Yes.

And a bigger question is will our offensive line give him enough protection/time to get the receivers the ball.

HogPharmer

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 02, 2016, 11:58:22 am
Yes.

And a bigger question is will our offensive line give him enough protection/time to get the receivers the ball.

I sure hope so. I know our QBs have the talent to produce. I'm just a little worried about the steep learning curve coming their way. Hopefully we'll be alright.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Cinco de Hogo

If you think about all the different types of WR's and TE's that you need to be unstoppable, we have them.  I wouldn't sell a single one of them short.  That the sexy part of our team right now.

As mentioned, QB and O-line have to come through in a big way or it will just be another year of broken dreams and wait til next years.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 02, 2016, 12:32:37 pm
If you think about all the different types of WR's and TE's that you need to be unstoppable, we have them.  I wouldn't sell a single one of them short.  That the sexy part of our team right now.

As mentioned, QB and O-line have to come through in a big way or it will just be another year of broken dreams and wait til next years.
I hope Austin gets them all something nice for Christmas.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: longpig on June 01, 2016, 11:54:08 pm
Be no surprise if Hatcher and Morgan struggle to lock down starting roles.

This is no joke.  Reed has elite speed to open things up, and Cornelius is our most complete WR.  Great to have 4 legit receivers on the squad. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 02, 2016, 12:41:16 pm
After what Morgan accomplished last season?

If indeed that's the case then I can't wait to see the level of play from the guy that beats him out.
I love these kinds of problems!   :razorback:

longpig

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 02, 2016, 12:44:45 pm
I love these kinds of problems!   :razorback:

That's what I'm thinking, 6 or 7 playmakers coming from all over will be tough to scheme against, especially when you've only had 2 or 3 to worry about in all previous games.

longpig

June 02, 2016, 02:01:08 pm #22 Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:44:45 pm by longpig
Quote from: jdelo77 on June 02, 2016, 09:40:54 am
Hatcher, Morgan and Reed will get their reps , Sprinkle will as well ...I also look for Cornelius to take a few punts to the house this year ...

And then there's Pettway and Hollister to create mismatches.  Our passing game could be drastically different one week from anything previously displayed.  That's a royal pita for a DC.

HogMantheIntruder

-Harry Solomon

Oklahawg

Hatcher is the best blocking WR on the roster. Hard to not have him on the field.

As mentioned above, he would be on an NFL roster right now if not for an injury.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TheRazorback500

And, we haven't even mentioned Hollister, who opened some eyes in the spring.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

bennyl08

A big impact. By far our best blocking WR. Our third most athletic receiver among the older group, behind Reed and Cornelius. One of, if not the best route runner with the biggest competition there from Morgan and dependent on how guys like Reed have progressed.

I think Reed and Hatcher will be the primary two guys. Players you can depend on to do it all. To use some big name guys as a comparison, Reed would be our version of Randy Moss. Hatcher is our Anquan Boldin. Morgan is our Danny Amendola. Cornelius is our Joe Adams (can't think of a big name nfl guy who plays with that style at the moment). Hollister could be our Plaxico Burress. Pettway I'd say is in a similar mold to Amari Cooper, Stewart is in that same Cornelius/Joe Adams mold that I'm drawing an NFL blank for and Jordan Jones I think will be a similar mold to a Julio or an Antonio Brown.

By saying somebody is in a similar mold, not projecting the same magnitude of success, so much as similar playing styles and using names that many will be familiar with.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse