Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baylor 2016 Entering Class Avail?

Started by OrvilleRedenporker, June 01, 2016, 09:49:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OrvilleRedenporker

Any chance we can flip some of these guys if they are given a release? Do we have any scholarships left or available?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Kevin

Just keep cutting you nose off Baylor.
Should let them out
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

a0ashle

Is there precedent for the NCAA forcing Baylor to release these kids? I don't care so much if they come here, but I feel bad for those kids who made a very important decision in their life based on the lies of an entire program.

That is a bad way to treat kids and some terrible PR, but in the scheme of things I guess Baylor figures it's not a tenth as bad as the rest of what's happened there.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: a0ashle on June 02, 2016, 08:08:13 am
Is there precedent for the NCAA forcing Baylor to release these kids? I don't care so much if they come here, but I feel bad for those kids who made a very important decision in their life based on the lies of an entire program.

I doubt it. Not even sure the nzaa wants any part of sanctions at this point. Probably treat it like they would if Briles took another job.

IronMountainHog

If they don't make this right, this will follow them on the recruiting trail for years.  Ironic that this fine Christian university won't "do the right thing".

Theolesnort

I'm thinking the NCAA will step in and Baylor will not be able to keep them if the kids want to be free of Baylor and want to be able to play this season. It has happened before.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Theolesnort on June 02, 2016, 10:13:22 am
I'm thinking the NCAA will step in and Baylor will not be able to keep them if the kids want to be free of Baylor and want to be able to play this season. It has happened before.

This is what I'm thinking too.  It's a good way for NCAA to sanction them without really sanctioning them.  They don't have to hand down scholarship reductions or postseason bans.  The NCAA can say if any incoming Baylor freshman/transfer wants to opt out of their NLI and not attend Baylor they can do so without sitting out/losing eligibility. 

Baylor should just do it themselves.  It would be part of showing contrition and showing that football is not the most important thing on campus.  By not letting these guys out of their NLI's they are saying with still hold football to be in higher regard and are going to protect it by forcing these players to come to Baylor even though if all information had been out in February half of them would not have signed here.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

King Kong

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/15901528/baylor-bears-recruit-devin-duvernay-free-sign-elsewhere-nli-paperwork-error

One recruit is free as Baylor did not properly submit his NLI

Of course he is considering TCU who we play so that could end poorly for us

Hogwild

QuoteBaylor's 2016 class that signed in February ranked as the best in school history, but signees Patrick Hudson, J.P. Urquidez, Jared Atkinson, Kameron Martin, Parrish Cobb and Donovan Duvernay have already requested releases from their NLI that bind them to the university, sources close to all seven confirmed.

QuoteDuvernay's family on Thursday told ESPN that the receiver is free to sign elsewhere because the university never submitted his NLI paperwork, according to the National Letter of Intent program. ESPN also cited sources within both the Big 12 and one conference school that confirmed Duvernay's NLI was not valid.

Duvernay had offers from TCU,LSU, Alabama, Texas, Arkansas, Ohio State,  Texas Tech, Texas A&M and many others. All of those schools are able to recruit Duvernay again if they have room in their 2016 classes.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: King Kong on June 02, 2016, 10:47:38 am
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/15901528/baylor-bears-recruit-devin-duvernay-free-sign-elsewhere-nli-paperwork-error

One recruit is free as Baylor did not properly submit his NLI

Of course he is considering TCU who we play so that could end poorly for us

This late in the game I think that the other Texas schools will have a lot of appeal to any Texan signee of Baylor's that gets a release. Simply based on the comfort level proximity provides in making a speedy change of plans.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

If I was a player I would be thinking that my signature on that NLI should not be binding as it was procured by fraud.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Polecat

Would love to come back into the picture on Patrick Hudson, 5-star OL
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Sivad

Quote from: IronMountainHog on June 02, 2016, 09:36:31 am
Ironic that this fine Christian university won't "do the right thing".
They never have, going all the way back to their SWC days.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 02, 2016, 12:20:06 pm
If I was a player I would be thinking that my signature on that NLI should not be binding as it was procured by fraud.

That's what I'm thinking if Baylor doesn't bend, all the recruit has to do is get an lawyer and claim fraud, that the Baylor HC and administration knew this was going on, knew it was being investigated and purposefully kept it from recruits knowing it might effect the recruits decision. 

Does Baylor really want to subject itself to more discovery?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogsfan31

I read the above article, but I've also read another article that said Baylor didn't say it wasn't going to release them from their NLIs. It stated that Baylors A-Department has ask to hold off on granting a release from NLIs until the new interim coach could come in and talk to the athletes and recruits that had signed with Baylor.

He was supposedly cleared yesterday for recruiting etc for Baylor by the NCAA but he couldn't do anything before then. They're just asking to hold off until he can speak with them and if they still want to leave, Baylor said they'll release any of the athletes that requested it.

I don't think that's unreasonable, but heck I wouldn't stay.

Hawghiggs

I just want a couple of the O-linemen that they signed.

LRHawg

We may have the inside track in that we have scholarships left. Does any of those schools listed for Devernay have free spots?

King Kong

Quote from: LRHawg on June 02, 2016, 05:05:45 pm
We may have the inside track in that we have scholarships left. Does any of those schools listed for Devernay have free spots?

Unfortunately, TCU, Texas and Texas A&M all have spots open spots. Now Devernay is interesting as he maybe a packaged deal with his twin.

Vantage 8 dude

By law Baylor may not be required to release any of these kids who correctly completed their NOI this past recruiting season. However, by not releasing any player who wants to be they run a very high risk of this whole situation "blowing up" in their face in a major way. If a kid isn't happy with how things went down and therefore isn't happy with the school/program for which he's playing, the consequences are such that the overall environment/atmosphere surrounding the team won't be very good.

Think of the dissent we heard about during a part of Hooter's regime. Winning in big time college football is challenging enough as it is. To have a players who clearly don't want to be in a particular program things won't end well. And when you compound it with something like a half dozen it only makes the problem even more acute.