Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas-Mizzou on Friday after Turkey day

Started by ricepig, June 01, 2016, 03:29:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

010HogFan

meh. give us our LSU game on that day back and I'll be excited.

Mike_e

Quote from: 010HogFan on June 01, 2016, 04:04:42 pm

Meh, we could play the poor sisters of Podunk U and I'd be up for it.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

KlubhouseKonnected

It's not a rivalry game but I enjoy the Friday date.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 010HogFan on June 01, 2016, 04:04:42 pm

The best fans are most excited about watching the team they root for moreso than the wanting to watch for the opponent that team is playing......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 01, 2016, 06:52:12 pm
The best fans are most excited about watching the team they root for moreso than the wanting to watch for the opponent that team is playing......................

False. The best fans have the capability to not only oscillate but also to spray a fine mist of cool water.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 01, 2016, 06:54:54 pm
False. The best fans have the capability to not only oscillate but also to spray a fine mist of cool water.

The only difference in that and a fair weather fan is the way they get wet.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MissippHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 01, 2016, 06:54:54 pm
+1 if I could.

JayBell

I still remember people freaking out because the SEC was screwing Arkansas over yet again!  The sky was falling and Arkansas would lose the exposure of the CBS afternoon game on the day after Thanksgiving.

Yeah, those people were smart...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: JayBell on June 01, 2016, 07:06:32 pm
I still remember people freaking out because the SEC was screwing Arkansas over yet again!  The sky was falling and Arkansas would lose the exposure of the CBS afternoon game on the day after Thanksgiving.

Some were only concerned about ratings and viewership possibly not being as good.

hawgwash

I used to be pissed off they changed our game with LSU. But as time passes I'm becoming more and more comfortable with playing them the week after they play Bama.

Dr. Starcs

If you weren't one of the 20,000 or so fans at dwrs senior day last year in the 35 degree rain, shut up! 

Lol

Hog Solo

Glad it's after thanksgiving dumb that it's Missouri

VirginiaHog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 01, 2016, 07:35:05 pm
If you weren't one of the 20,000 or so fans at dwrs senior day last year in the 35 degree rain, shut up! 

Lol
I was there. And as much as i loved it, the weather was rough.

kp72204

Might as well face the facts.......This is the game they believe will open the midwest market for the SEC. It's going to be around till one of us leaves the conference. However, for what it's worth, I'm still upset the didn't sit B. Allen down. If they had it be 2-0 us

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: kp72204 on June 01, 2016, 09:41:38 pm
Might as well face the facts.......This is the game they believe will open the midwest market for the SEC. It's going to be around till one of us leaves the conference. However, for what it's worth, I'm still upset the didn't sit B. Allen down. If they had it be 2-0 us

Awww man, I have been trying to forget that debacle.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: JayBell on June 01, 2016, 07:06:32 pm

This doesn't make sense.  There was never much doubt we would still play on Friday.  The exposure part hasn't changed.  We went from playing a nationally relevant opponent in a game that had become a part of the norm for Thanksgiving weekend for fans outside of our region to a very regional matchup with a blah opponent.  That hasn't changed. 

Quote from: hawgwash on June 01, 2016, 07:19:26 pm
I used to be pissed off they changed our game with LSU. But as time passes I'm becoming more and more comfortable with playing them the week after they play Bama.

Becoming apparent this is an upside to the forced change. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

JayBell

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 02, 2016, 11:12:54 amThis doesn't make sense.  There was never much doubt we would still play on Friday.  The exposure part hasn't changed.  We went from playing a nationally relevant opponent in a game that had become a part of the norm for Thanksgiving weekend for fans outside of our region to a very regional matchup with a blah opponent.  That hasn't changed.

There was a LOT of doubt. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: JayBell on June 02, 2016, 11:14:03 am

The discussion was mainly around the difference in the opponents' brands, the visibility of the matchup and losing something that was becoming a tradition.  If the game was on Saturday, the brand and visibility differences would still be there.  And then add on how much A&M has been given since joining the league and you can understand why some Hog fans didn't appreciate this change. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 02, 2016, 11:22:41 am
The discussion was mainly around the difference in the opponents' brands, the visibility of the matchup and losing something that was becoming a tradition.  If the game was on Saturday, the brand and visibility differences would still be there.  And then add on how much A&M has been given since joining the league and you can understand why some Hog fans didn't appreciate this change.

This last bit was a big part of it for me. In my mind there was never any doubt that the addition of A&M and Mizzou were at the expense of Arkansas more than any other team. The near immediate post-Thanksgiving schedule change was just adding insult to injury at that point, or adding insulting, additional injury to injury depending on your opinion of how it affected program visibility.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 02, 2016, 11:33:31 am
This last bit was a big part of it for me. In my mind there was never any doubt that the addition of A&M and Mizzou were at the expense of Arkansas more than any other team. The near immediate post-Thanksgiving schedule change was just adding insult to injury at that point, or adding insulting, additional injury to injury depending on your opinion of how it affected program visibility.

Agreed. Announcements like this are just a reminder of what changed.  If we could just get Bazzel to stop making stupid trophies and trash this battle line monstrosity it would be an improvement. 

Hogwild

Quote from: JayBell on June 02, 2016, 11:14:03 am

I didn't think there would be any question to us playing on Friday, when A&M hosts LSU. 

When in College Station they will play on Thanksgiving, however LSU will not play them on Thanksgiving when the game is in Baton Rouge. The Iron Bowl participants want to play on Saturday, Florida, UGA, South Carolina (usually Vandy) play ACC teams that week.  The only possible schools left are Tennessee v Kentucky, and the Mississippi schools. The only game I could see us getting bumped for is in years when A&M travels to LSU.

010HogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 01, 2016, 06:52:12 pm

Congratulations on your superior fandom, sir. As for me, I'll keep watching the Hogs regardless of who we are playing. That doesn't mean I can't be a little perturbed at this manufactured rivalry we've had shoved down our throats.

hogcard1964

texas tush hog

SamBuckhart

Whizz on Lsux. Dont mess with November success.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Sivad

After interracting with many of Missouri's low rent fans in Fayetteville last year, I'm looking forward to this year's prime time Battle Line Rivalry to cap off the holiday.

longpig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 01, 2016, 07:35:05 pm

Lol

Me and the better half drove five hours in that, walked to and from Baum.  It was her first game and I figured it would be the last, considering the conditions.  Low and behold she bought us 2016 season tickets on the way home. 

Women.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 02, 2016, 11:39:19 am
Agreed. Announcements like this are just a reminder of what changed.  If we could just get Bazzel to stop making stupid trophies and trash this battle line monstrosity it would be an improvement.

We can only hope.  I refuse to acknowledge this silly trophy, only way it'll mean anything is if us or Mizzou gets pissed off at the other for keeping it 5 years straight or more.
Don't be scared, be smart.

woodhog14

Quote from: Hogwild on June 02, 2016, 11:56:27 am
I didn't think there would be any question to us playing on Friday, when A&M hosts LSU. 

When in College Station they will play on Thanksgiving, however LSU will not play them on Thanksgiving when the game is in Baton Rouge. The Iron Bowl participants want to play on Saturday, Florida, UGA, South Carolina (usually Vandy) play ACC teams that week.  The only possible schools left are Tennessee v Kentucky, and the Mississippi schools. The only game I could see us getting bumped for is in years when A&M travels to LSU.
When they play in Baton Rouge...they play on Saturday, so that won't matter.

Murr

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 01, 2016, 06:47:06 pm
It's not a rivalry game but I enjoy the Friday date.

I just love the tradition of playing on that Friday afternoon.  No matter where I'm at on that Thanksgiving weekend, I always have the excuse to get away from family/friends and watch that game no matter what their plans are.

Hogwild

June 03, 2016, 08:20:09 am #31 Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:25:33 am by Hogwild
Quote from: woodhog14 on June 02, 2016, 04:20:21 pm
When they play in Baton Rouge...they play on Saturday, so that won't matter.

That is what LSU's AD wants, but he said it is up to the conference to determine whether the game is played on Friday or Saturday.  He said he could only veto Thursday's games not Friday's. There was an article about it a year ago when we were trying to figure out if the game was on Friday or Saturday.

This was the quote a year ago before the meetings-http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/lsu-ad-on-texas-am-we-will-not-play-in-tiger-stadium-on-a-thursday/
QuoteLSU athletic director Joe Alleva told The Advocate there has been a push to move this year's regular season finale against Texas A&M to Thanksgiving night, but prior traditions and the quest for ratings will not shake the AD's stance on home games in Tiger Stadium.
Last season, the Aggies hosted LSU in a 23-17 loss on that Thursday night -- the slot previously dedicated to their annual rivalry game against Texas. While Texas A&M may continue that tradition at home with the Tigers, Alleva said there is no chance the game gets moved from Saturday to Thursday under his watch.
"As long as I'm here, we will not play in Tiger Stadium on a Thursday," Alleva said. "I guarantee you that."

It is possible, according The Advocate, that the game gets moved to the Friday after Thanksgiving, a spot on the calendar where LSU has frequently played Arkansas in the past.