Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's official, 2016 is Verne's farewell tour.

Started by ricepig, May 31, 2016, 12:25:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Scott Marshall

May 31, 2016, 12:52:33 pm #2 Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:18:40 pm by Scott Marshall
Verne Lundquist will step down from calling Southeastern Conference football for CBS after the coming season, with Brad Nessler replacing him.

http://sports.nwahomepage.com/cfb/story.asp?i=20160531132126436420108&ref=hea&tm=&src=

Horsesrus

Excited that Nessler is his replacement.  I will miss Uncle Verne though even if he has slipped noticeably the last few years.

Dr. Starcs

RollHogTide

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 31, 2016, 12:51:31 pm
It about 5 years too late.

I'm not a huge fan of Verne's, but he appeared to be a good guy. 

Gonna have to rename the "Verne Lundquist Drinking Game".

hoggusamoungus

Wish they would bring Blackledge with him and show Gary the door.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Seebs

I think Vern's antics are kinda cute.  Like Harry Carey toward the end - calls six seconds late and mostly slurred and wrong. Cuddly cute.

Harry being cute concerning Cracker Jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO_x7U7n8iU
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ricepig

GolfnHog

After the 2009 Fla game I felt the game had passed Verne by and each year thereafter it seems that he gets a bit worse. However, I still enjoy his Master's commentary on #16  and I hope he can continue to do that for another few years.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

lumphog

Jackrabbit Hog

Nessler and Blackledge are simply the best announcing team in college football.  No agendas; no team or conference favoritism; great chemistry and analysis.  If CBS is smart they will try to make it a package deal.

I don't dislike Gary Danielson; I just don't know if he and Nessler would have the same chemistry that Nessler has with Blackledge.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

rljjr

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 01, 2016, 08:39:10 am
Nessler and Blackledge are simply the best announcing team in college football.  No agendas; no team or conference favoritism; great chemistry and analysis.  If CBS is smart they will try to make it a package deal.

I don't dislike Gary Danielson; I just don't know if he and Nessler would have the same chemistry that Nessler has with Blackledge.

Very true, and I always get hungry watching Todd's tour of restaurants.

Hogusta National

[/quote]

I may be mistaken, but Nessler and Danielson used to call the Saturday night SEC game on ESPN so there is chemistry there.  It has been broken up for a few years obviously. 

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 01, 2016, 08:39:10 am

Hogville will hate nessler within six months. Cuz that's what hogville do.

HogPharmer

I think he passed his prime during the making of Happy Gilmore... Now if only Gary will leave too
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Dr. Starcs

Blackledge is the best color guy IMO.

I really liked Nessler as well, but I hate to tell y'all this, he has slipped a little over the years. Misses names and key information I've noticed.

Still an absolute upgrade over Verne.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: lumphog on May 31, 2016, 11:55:51 pm
Itsa bout damtime

And yet we still have to put up with his utter incompetence for another freaking year!!

Oh, well, it's just another year with the sound off.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hogwild

June 01, 2016, 02:03:29 pm #21 Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 05:57:41 pm by Hogwild
Imo- there is an excellent chance we get the 2:30 time slot, when we host Florida. 

The best part Verne wouldn't be calling the game, they will assign him to the primetime game. Win-win

Jim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on May 31, 2016, 12:25:18 pm
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/737691984882749441

I would rather they sent Gary Danielson packing, get somebody in who has an SEC connection but has nationwide appeal.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Lanny

Quote from: Karma on June 01, 2016, 11:13:28 am
Hogville will hate nessler within six months. Cuz that's what hogville do.
six months?
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy