Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Women kneeling....

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, November 03, 2016, 07:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 03, 2016, 08:59:33 pm
I especially love sanctimonious lefty social justice warriors bleating about "free speech" after Obama signed this into law.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2012/03/the_anti_protest_bill_signed_by_barack_obama_is_a_quiet_attack_on_free_speech_.html

Well OOPS. I guess Sickboy won't be protesting anymore....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Granny fan

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:34:33 pm
Discrimination due to personal belief?

Look at what happened at mizziou last year

You can't not renew a scholarship because someone didn't stand during the national anthem 

No, but they can ride pine for doing it!!

Dillar Dog

Why does anyone even care at this point?

Score?

razorbrass

Quote from: sickboy on November 03, 2016, 08:38:08 pm
My uncle's a cop and he fights every day to keep people safe so that they have the opportunity to exercise their rights as an American citizen. He doesn't care about politics -- he cares about keeping people safe from harm.
And it is a darn shame that good men and women like your uncle are stereotyped because of a few bad cops.  I really hate that for those folks out there that put their lives on the line everyday.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

AirWarren

Quote from: razorbrass on November 03, 2016, 09:01:06 pm
I'm not a big fan of it either but where would you suggest they make that protest?  The whole point of a peaceful protest is to gain attention.  I would say they have been successful in that regard.

How about make a difference in the black community? When black on black violence occurs get out and protest peacefully like this. Urge the community to come together instead of kill. When white people kill white people do the same?

Don't pitch a fit when it's whites against blacks and vice versa. We are all humans. And all humans lives matter.

hogman99whw

Just keep their butts in the locker room during the national anthem, just like the football team at DWR stadium.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on November 03, 2016, 09:05:01 pm
There scholarships can't be voided without cause. Lawsuits would pile up and the media would eat this up like cake. The UA is in a lose lose if they punish those players even though I completely disagree with their stance, actions, and opinions. When peaceful protest causing no danger to persons or property is met with retaliation, it degrades the very fabric of the freedom our soldiers fought and died for.

It ain't often I say this, but I agree with you 100%.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: razorbrass on November 03, 2016, 09:01:06 pm
I'm not a big fan of it either but where would you suggest they make that protest?  The whole point of a peaceful protest is to gain attention.  I would say they have been successful in that regard.

Peaceful yes. Right place and time while wearing a school provided uniform while representing the team then no. That said I've actually protested while on the UA campus. It was during an ASG meeting over funding and student fees. That wasn't as important as what theses ladies are protesting but it was a protest and successful by those doing it. I've walked across campus to class numerous times and seen protesters for various causes and some very important ones. There are quite a few places they can still be seen and heard. I had no problem with protesting at Mizzou until it disrupted a school sanctioned event and then later ironically infringed on the freedom of the press and made demands that were not relevant to the initial protest.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Steef

Meh.

This is just another price of freedom. Having free people exercise it.

Arkansas is a University. Supposedly, an institution that encourages dialogue between people of diverse ideas.

Even when others might not like those ideas.

I dont like all this 'disrespecting the anthem (and/or flag)" nonsense. But I love the fact I live in a land where you still can.

I think it hurts their message to do this. Dumb, even. Because the people they want to get their message to, are the very ones they're pissing off.

Angry people don't listen.

BoarnSupremacy

Disrespecting the anthem and therefore this nation doesn't hold water with me. 

phadedhawg

Kinda of a stunt queen thing to do but if makes them happy more power to em

EastArkHog 47

I don't agree with what they're doing, but its no more disrespectful than a person not removing their cap or hat when the anthem is played and I've seen that happen quite often.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on November 03, 2016, 09:07:56 pm
Disrespecting the anthem and therefore this nation doesn't hold water with me. 

The very freedom this country was built on being exercised doesn't hold water with you?

I bet they'd love you in North Korea.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 03, 2016, 09:00:04 pm
No, the University would not be "silencing them."  Merely not allowing them to do their protests while representing the whole University.  The University would not be stopping them from doing their little rebellion on their own terms.  It's not fair to the University to allow the individuals to piggy back on the University's exposure, money, support, venue, audience, etc. and say things that the University does not agree with while representing them.

Well said.  They're free to protest wherever or whenever they want.  ...as long as their not representing the school while doing so in what the school can deem negatively.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Steef on November 03, 2016, 09:07:36 pm
Meh.

This is just another price of freedom. Having free people exercise it.

Arkansas is a University. Supposedly, an institution that encourages dialogue between people of diverse ideas.

Even when others might not like those ideas.

I dont like all this 'disrespecting the anthem (and/or flag)" nonsense. But I love the fact I live in a land where you still can.

I think it hurts their message to do this. Dumb, even. Because the people they want to get their message to, are the very ones they're pissing off.

Angry people don't listen.

Well said.

gchamblee

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:45:41 pm
They have every right the constitution provides them while wearing whatever clothing 

Their actions isn't causing  harm to anyone . Like I said  look at what happened at mizziou last year .  That really set the tone for this whole thing .

They have a right to do it just as much as you have a right to get mad

even though the constitution gives them the right to bear arms, lets see how it works for them if they place their gun under their chair while they go in to play.

Hogmeier

They have the right to do it just like I have the right to not support (money) the UofA.

grassroothog

When they start protesting black on black violence I will take them seriosly.

rhames

Quote from: hogz11 on November 03, 2016, 09:05:01 pm
There scholarships can't be voided without cause. Lawsuits would pile up and the media would eat this up like cake. The UA is in a lose lose if they punish those players even though I completely disagree with their stance, actions, and opinions. When peaceful protest causing no danger to persons or property is met with retaliation, it degrades the very fabric of the freedom our soldiers fought and died for.

We can close the thread now
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

kodiakisland

Bottom line is fans vote with their pocket book.  The NFL is finding out about that.  Personally I think it is disrespectful, but those doing it may not.  Who's to say which one of us is correct.  I think there are better ways to bring about change, at least as it applies to my way of thinking.  This has in no way made me any more or less sympathetic to the police situation.  All it has done for me is to make it more likely the one or two lady games I go to yearly will decrease.  The university will do something if enough people feel the same way and apply it to all U of A sports.  If not, then it really won't be that big of an issue.

There are many things I find disrespectful in this world, and I'm sure I do some things others may find disrespectful.  I'm more of a live and let live type guy to an extent, but also selective as to where I spend my money.  For me, I don't want politics in my sports, regardless of who and what, and tend to care less about it when the two get combined.  I'm sure my interest in Ladys BB will decrease if I continue to hear about this happening over and over, but would probably decrease for just about any political event, not just kneeling for the anthem.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

rhames

Quote from: gchamblee on November 03, 2016, 09:14:36 pm
even though the constitution gives them the right to bear arms, lets see how it works for them if they place their gun under their chair while they go in to play.

I literally laughed out loud  when reading this 

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

a0ashle

Any reprimand the University could hand down would be a far bigger nightmare for them.

oldbooniehog

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 09:17:58 pm

The Constitution does NOT "give" anybody any rights.

It merely recognizes and guarantees rights that you have because you are born a human being.

As I said in my first post, you have the right to free speech.

You also have the right to the consequences of your speech, both positive and negative.

hawgdavis

You can express yourself how you want to and say anything you want to you have that right but you can also be held accountable for it as well. There are many cases out there where people have been fired or cut for expressing them selfs so these players can be held accountable for their actions.

hobhog

Quote from: Ben on November 03, 2016, 07:54:56 pm
oh great...people still bitching and moaning about people kneeling during the anthem. Of course I expect Arkansans on here to hate it, being the state we are. It isn't hurting anybody but oversensitive people. The same ones against it are the same ones who don't even stand for the anthem when its being played on TV before a game at home.

WTH?

hogcard1964

From the looks of the crowd, it appears there were only about 12 people there, and half of them booed.  Why even give these sheet stains press at all?

Sho Nuff

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:31:52 pm

And get sued?

I'm not a fan of this as much as anybody but there really isn't a lot anyone can do . It's their right to do whatever they want during the National Anthem 

If the anthem was played after the football team came out there would be players doing it too
For a guy who isn't a fan of it you sure were defending it in another thread.

gchamblee

Quote from: a0ashle on November 03, 2016, 08:14:30 pm
Why is this board so politically correct all of sudden? Worried about offending people, it's not like you guys.

I support them 100%

the funny part is, some of these posters that are having a moral problem with this, are fine with paying football players to come here because winning is all that matters.

rhames

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 03, 2016, 09:20:27 pm

It merely recognizes and guarantees rights that you have because you are born a human being.

You also have the right to the consequences of your speech, both positive and negative.

Is anyone arguing that they aren't open for negative comments?? No 

You have a right to feel every way and any way you want to about it .

You just can't  expect the university to reprimand them in any way .

hobhog

Why is this n football forum?

rhames

Quote from: Sho Nuff on November 03, 2016, 09:23:20 pm
For a guy who isn't a fan of it you sure were defending it in another thread.

Not saying anything in here that I didn't say in there .

hogcard1964

Steef

I dont want to live in a land where people can be punished merely for what they think.

And neither do you, if you stop and think about it.

Thos girls were schollied to play ball. They arent break ing any laws.

Leave em be.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: gchamblee on November 03, 2016, 09:23:22 pm
the funny part is, some of these posters that are having a moral problem with this, are fine with paying football players to come here because winning is all that matters.

That's another thing that would get me to instantly withdraw my support from the University, incidentally.  And I'm on record saying that in other threads.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Inhogswetrust

Well said!

kodiakisland

The constitution doesn't give people carte blanche for any activity possible.  It only limits what the governments response can be to said acts.  Your "rights" are severely limited on private property and even by scope of action.  Just because something is allowed doesn't mean it is constitutionally protected.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

gchamblee

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 09:17:58 pm

lol so did i while typing it. you just gave me a slow one right down the middle there:P

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Steef on November 03, 2016, 09:25:05 pm
I dont want to live in a land where people can be punished merely for what they think.

Leave em be.

Nobody has a problem with "merely what they think."
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

hogman99

Quote from: gchamblee on November 03, 2016, 09:14:36 pm

Yep, that wouldn't fly too well

Hogfan1660

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 09:00:32 pm
I've heard that over 90% of the people there were outraged. All 9 of them talked about leaving but decided they needed the rest before they walked back to the car.

LMFAO 😂😂😂😂 PorkRinds you nailed this one on the head for sure! I was trying to figure out how anyone knew that they were kneeling for the national anthem anyway.

Dr. Starcs

Please move this to the women's board.

Oh and we have a women's bball team?

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Let's say that 99.5% of all police are good people.  The 0.5% of police who treat black people unfairly should be disciplined and in many cases fired.  If we all agree on that, how does disrespecting the flag and anthem of the United States accomplish anything?  What does the country and people of America have to do with police violence?  Why are you protesting an entire country for one specific topic?  These protests actually set back race relations because good white people who would like to see black people treated fairly now think these protesters are just stupid!  And that reinforces a terrible negative stereotype about black people in general.  Sad but true.

PossumFan

You are right, up to a point. If those consequences amount to criticism from fellow citizens who disagree, or people withholding their support for your endeavors, then sure. But if the consequences are actions taken against you by the government, then no. 

Inhogswetrust

This is my protest post for this thread being in MMQ......................It's the ladies basketball team and thus not football related and it's still football season.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 03, 2016, 09:23:10 pm
From the looks of the crowd, it appears there were only about 12 people there, and half of them booed.  Why even give these sheet stains press at all?

So people who didn't approve booed while the anthem was being played?

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Steef on November 03, 2016, 09:25:05 pm

Leave em be.

My standards for the behavior of people representing my University are higher than "don't break the law."

You may set whatever ridiculously low bar you'd like, of course.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Dillar Dog on November 03, 2016, 09:27:13 pm
So people who didn't approve booed while the anthem was being played?

No

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: PossumFan on November 03, 2016, 09:26:51 pm
You are right, up to a point. If those consequences amount to criticism from fellow citizens who disagree, or people withholding their support for your endeavors, then sure. But if the consequences are actions taken against you by the government, then no.

Nobody here is recommending the government intervene, obviously.

Boarmonger

Quote from: sickboy on November 03, 2016, 07:57:15 pm
Guys, I disagree with kneeling during the anthem too, in a philosophical sense. But this country is built on a foundation of free speech. When you start trying to control speech, you're going against everything this country was founded on and what our men and women of the military fight every day to preserve for us all. You can't punish these girls by revoking scholarships or benching them -- that's suppressing our most hallowed right as an American.

The irony is -- I'm sure you all consider yourself proud Americans. If you want to stand on that pilar of patriotism, then stand up for these girls and their right to voice their opinion, while taking a stance against their philosophies in a way that doesn't infringe on their most basic rights. If that means not supporting the Women's Basketball team... then do that. But don't say they should be punished for voicing their opinion. This isn't a third world country.

Many of us served in the military to defend their right to free speech.   They certainly have the right to do what they did.   I also have the right to not pay any attention t WBB and withhold money from the Fondation should I desire to.  At some point it will hurt the University if this continues.