Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Softball

Started by bigpigpimpin, February 18, 2015, 08:31:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

May 04, 2015, 01:47:13 am #100 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:41:47 am by psycHOGlogist
Tossing out some names -

Amy Tudor - Western Kentucky. She is a WKU alum and only in her 2nd year there, but they have had some good results and her track record seems good. Would she leave her alma mater for an SEC job? If she's serious about her career, she would. But is she ready?

Kyla Holas - Houston. Been at Houston for 15 years and built a respectable program. Has 12 consecutive winning seasons, 3 straight trips to NCAAs (and 5 of the last 7) and have advanced to two super regionals. Not having a great year this year, though, and not projected to make the tourney.

Jessica Allister - the one I would want, if given my druthers. In four years has completely transformed the Minnesota program from nothing to a top 10 team this year (and made super regional last year). In Minnesota!!! Prior to the Gophers, was an assistant at Oregon, Stanford (alma mater), and UGA. Texas native. I would open the checkbook for this one, honestly.

People have mentioned the SAU coach - but I would be surprised if Long hired another man. We have 10 women's sports and one female head coach (golf). I am not an advocate for some kind of quota system, but that seems a bit out of whack to me.

And if he does go for a male coach, anyone think he'd take a chance on John Rittman, former Stanford coach now assistant at Kansas? Left Stanford under something of a cloud (not really results related), but at least a few people out there really like him.

Curious about what others think, or any insights.

pccmizuno24

I think long goes after someone with ties to the state! Someone that would possibly be around a while!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: pccmizuno24 on May 04, 2015, 06:52:21 am
I think long goes after someone with ties to the state! Someone that would possibly be around a while!

I dont understand the logic you express:  you could go with a homer and they might stay around a long while but to what end?  Merit hiring is supposed to be how we do this.  Merit hiring gives you someone like McDonnel.  I dont know of any ties he had to the state when he came here and built the most successful track program ever out of no facilities, no tradition, no nothing.  Merit brought you Nolan Richardson, I am quite sure that a black man from texas had no ties to the state, yet he accomplished a goodly amount to and stayed a fair amount of time.  I could go on.

I would ten times rather someone came in and did a stellar job even if they stayed five years and left me something to build on than came in because the 'had ties with the state'.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

pccmizuno24

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 04, 2015, 07:48:38 am
I dont understand the logic you express:  you could go with a homer and they might stay around a long while but to what end?  Merit hiring is supposed to be how we do this.  Merit hiring gives you someone like McDonnel.  I dont know of any ties he had to the state when he came here and built the most successful track program ever out of no facilities, no tradition, no nothing.  Merit brought you Nolan Richardson, I am quite sure that a black man from texas had no ties to the state, yet he accomplished a goodly amount to and stayed a fair amount of time.  I could go on.

I would ten times rather someone came in and did a stellar job even if they stayed five years and left me something to build on than came in because the 'had ties with the state'.
I say it because it's a women's sport! They need someone that can't get girls to Arkansas! That's the knock on Larabee he couldn't sell Arkansas to high profile recruits! I could care less who the hire like 95% of most razorback fans! It's womens softball so look at what long did on the basketball side!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 04, 2015, 07:48:38 am

Coach Mc was the cross country coach for several years before being promoted to coach the whole track team. Prior to that he had only coached in High School. Coach hiring is a very unscientific thing. Sometimes you take a chance on someone that hasn't been a head coach before at the college level. It is also less of a gamble with the non revenue sports and less media covered. Jimmy comes to mind. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 04, 2015, 08:18:31 am
Coach Mc was the cross country coach for several years before being promoted to coach the whole track team. Prior to that he had only coached in High School. Coach hiring is a very unscientific thing. Sometimes you take a chance on someone that hasn't been a head coach before at the college level. It is also less of a gamble with the non revenue sports and less media covered. Jimmy comes to mind.

I have been a manager at a high level (which included hiring and firing other execs) for the last twenty years but I find that I knew nothing... I stand enlightened.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

MrKlem10

Long has proven he likes to go "outside" of the box.  If he hires someone with in-state ties it would be a shock.

A strong, upbeat woman coach would be a very nice thing.  I think the last thing we need is a "homer". 

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: pccmizuno24 on May 04, 2015, 08:09:33 am
I say it because it's a women's sport! They need someone that can't get girls to Arkansas! That's the knock on Larabee he couldn't sell Arkansas to high profile recruits! I could care less who the hire like 95% of most razorback fans! It's womens softball so look at what long did on the basketball side!

By this logic, it seems like he needs to identify someone who is a proven recruiter, not just someone local. And if there is a softball version of Jimmy Dykes -- with his national profile and recognition within the softball community -- I am unaware of him/her.

But you are right - Larabee was not a great recruiter. I have seen elsewhere that he did not enjoy recruiting and/or spend enough time on it to get the right athletes.

psycHOGlogist

May 04, 2015, 10:30:13 am #108 Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:18:04 pm by psycHOGlogist
Quote from: MrKlem10 on May 04, 2015, 09:16:08 am
Long has proven he likes to go "outside" of the box.

I think he has proven that he is WILLING to go outside the box. Several of his hires -- Pulliza, Anderson, Hale, even Bielema (though it was quite a surprise) -- were inside the box. That's what makes Long hard to predict, though.

I think that Larabee is the first of his hires that has been let go. Is that correct? I don't think Long hired Collen. Can someone correct me if I'm mistaken?

ETA: Actually, I am correcting myself. Long hired the soccer coach that preceded Hale, as well.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 04, 2015, 09:04:25 am
I have been a manager at a high level (which included hiring and firing other execs) for the last twenty years but I find that I knew nothing... I stand enlightened.

I've been a manager and business owner and hiring is only a little bit better odds than craps.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Where's all the dang sources for the new hire? Come on Hogvillians you're slipping.

nwahogfan1

IN keeping a lot of the crap shooting out of hiring it will depend a lot on who is interested for the job.

Lets hope Long will have lots of good options from quality head coaches who have got the job done else where. 

The applicant must be a motivator, teacher and a Ace recruiter.   That is a lot to ask but if 2 or 3 applicants have those on their resume then it will be easy. 

Who is interested?  I doubt we know but there is a lot of us out there so maybe we can get some leakage of information to discuss.   

How long will it take?  Is recruiting for next year a concern or is that pretty much over for 2015?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 04, 2015, 11:30:52 am
I've been a manager and business owner and hiring is only a little bit better odds than craps.

Well, I will give you a point there.  Its more art than science, but all the more reason to use as much science as possible.  I dont like throwing dice for the future of my company, my organization, my program or my country.  I have hired some people that I thought would do the job and been sadly mistaken.  But that wasn't because I didnt have the right 'feel' about them, it was because I didnt know enough.  I know what you are saying, but it doesn't have to be that way, shouldn't be that way in a coaching job at the head of one of your programs.  Softball is a big program in women's sports.  We and our donors have made a significant investment in it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 04, 2015, 11:46:02 am
Well, I will give you a point there.  Its more art than science, but all the more reason to use as much science as possible. I dont like throwing dice for the future of my company, my organization, my program or my country.  I have hired some people that I thought would do the job and been sadly mistaken.  But that wasn't because I didnt have the right 'feel' about them, it was because I didnt know enough.  I know what you are saying, but it doesn't have to be that way, shouldn't be that way in a coaching job at the head of one of your programs.  Softball is a big program in women's sports.  We and our donors have made a significant investment in it.

That's a really good way to describe it AND to approach it! Well done. The only thing I would say is sometimes no matter how much information you have on a hire it still doesn't work out. It might get you better odds though. Two reasons are there are too many variables and people involved AND there is really no way to know exactly why someone takes a job.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 04, 2015, 11:41:50 am
How long will it take?  Is recruiting for next year a concern or is that pretty much over for 2015?

Great questions. I really HOPE that whoever we are pursuing is still coaching right now -- and maybe for the next couple weeks.

Recruiting is done, but as noted up-thread, it is not unheard of for coaching changes to result in player turnover and changes in commitment status. The signees for next year were announced in November.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/news/larabee-announces-2015-razorbacksb-recruiting-class-11-20-2014

softballdad2118

You can almost guarantee that there will be transfers, it was a bad experience this year and kids wont stay around to see whats coming. Also, soon they will have to ask for releases so my money is on multiple transfers....could be wrong but I would expect that

Sueie

If he has 9 coming in this recruiting class. I can think of at least 9 on the team that could transfer and not be a big loss. Nice to see that he is recruiting some middle infielders.

flippinhogmana

May 04, 2015, 12:50:21 pm #117 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:07:59 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 04, 2015, 12:05:10 pm
That's a really good way to describe it AND to approach it! Well done. The only thing I would say is sometimes no matter how much information you have on a hire it still doesn't work out. It might get you better odds though. Two reasons are there are too many variables and people involved AND there is really no way to know exactly why someone takes a job.

Another point to you. And despite wanting to nail a position as logically as possible, I choose to reserve the option sometimes of taking a flyer and going with my gut on an outside the box appointment that I see has all the intangibles but that perhaps others don't see. 

But I have found that I have to discipline myself not to do that the vast majority of the time.  Because I am a builder of people and because I believe in people, I will sometimes see things in people that they cant and ultimately wont see in themselves.  Sometimes even if it is in a person, you can't always bring it out.  Sometimes untapped potential remains there all of some people's lives.  Its not just about like-ability, or charisma, or gifts, its also about work, faithfulness, and grit.  Actually its about all those things rolled into a performance package.  To see that, its best to see a track record, even if it is at an assistant or lower level, but one as applicable as possible so that the peter principle doesnt bite you.

psycHOGlogist

This is a very interesting exchange, and pertinent given Larabee's ultimate failure at Arkansas. He had been successful at his previous school - a mid-major - and has extensive knowledge of the sport. He is also a generally positive, can-do kind of personality.

However, I have read comments from (some) parents of former players saying that although they liked him, he was fun to be around, and that he had LOTS of softball knowledge to share, but he was very ill-suited, ultimately, to be the HC at a major college program. Too many rough edges, poor interactions with players, questionable assistant coaching moves, etc. Sometimes these things only reveal themselves when the pressure is ratcheted up.

As for the transfer question - yes, I would have to imagine that after a season this negative, some players will want to go. However, some of them may be very willing to stick around long enough to see who the new coach is. And/or, I think it is our program's right to ask the players to wait to transfer until after a new coach is hired. Not sure if that is a right that we will exercise, but I think we can.

flippinhogmana

I think that you can ask, but I think that they should/do have the right to decline your request and to go ahead and get a release.

softballdad2118

Scholarships are 1 year agreements, they are not obligated to wait on anything. I am sure if they ask they will be granted full release and can transfer anywhere outside if the SEC without penalty.

Westcoasthog

On May 3, 2015 Mike Larabee Resigns from his position as the head women's softball coach at the University of Arkansas it was announced by Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long on Sunday. 

Wildrussianboar

Hopefully a new staff will try to get more in state players. There is talent here in state that has never been utilized and if only the top 3-4 in state kids would go and be developed each year it would make a huge difference in the program.

Wildrussianboar

May 30, 2015, 08:12:05 pm #123 Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:10:19 pm by Wildrussianboar
Arkansas has to recruit the best in state kids. Only way to be successful. And add 2-3 blue chippers a year from out of state.

softballdad2118

Quote from: Wildrussianboar on May 30, 2015, 08:12:05 pm
Arkansas has to recruit the best in state kids. Only way to be successful. And add 2-3 blue chippers a year from out of state.

Who would you recruit who already didnt sign or commit to them?

Softballinar

Quote from: softballdad2118 on May 31, 2015, 11:39:29 am
Who would you recruit who already didnt sign or commit to them?

Well, Kendrick for one.  Maybe the kid from Beebe, lefty pitcher.

Next season, Burnside, Wader, and Humes should be in the discussion, if your talking kids you shouldn't let out of the state.

sw403

Burnside is going to mizzou, verbal anyway. More money. Would have to do some heavy recruiting to change her mind

Softballinar

Quote from: sw403 on May 31, 2015, 01:40:09 pm
Burnside is going to mizzou, verbal anyway. More money. Would have to do some heavy recruiting to change her mind

Heard that....it was just a hypothetical list of Arkansas kids that UA needs to keep in state. 

softballdad2118

To my knowledge there are 7 d1 kids this year..Conway kid going  to UA, 2 Paragould going to UA..at least for  now, Russellville going to Bama, Jonesboro going yo Oregon, Springdale Harber going to Tulsa and Beebe going to Tulsa...I would have taken all of them..they all can play at a high level..The kid from Russellville and Springdale are ranked in the top 100 by 1 recruiting service.

coltseaver

Quote from: softballdad2118 on May 31, 2015, 06:24:30 pm
To my knowledge there are 7 d1 kids this year..Conway kid going  to UA, 2 Paragould going to UA..at least for  now, Russellville going to Bama, Jonesboro going yo Oregon, Springdale Harber going to Tulsa and Beebe going to Tulsa...I would have taken all of them..they all can play at a high level..The kid from Russellville and Springdale are ranked in the top 100 by 1 recruiting service.

Burnside and Bishop can both play but it's not UA or Larabee's fault they didn't commit here and it wasn't the money either. They didn't want to go to school here. As unfathomable as it may be for us to comprehend a kid not wanting to go to Arkansas, they are out there.

softballdad2118

Quote from: coltseaver on June 07, 2015, 11:05:40 pm
Burnside and Bishop can both play but it's not UA or Larabee's fault they didn't commit here and it wasn't the money either. They didn't want to go to school here. As unfathomable as it may be for us to comprehend a kid not wanting to go to Arkansas, they are out there.

It's about respect, when your offered more money by other  schools that are better including another sec and acc that finished in the top 15....it's disrespectful

coltseaver

June 08, 2015, 01:13:32 pm #131 Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:31:51 pm by coltseaver
Quote from: softballdad2118 on June 08, 2015, 11:55:24 am
It's about respect, when your offered more money by other  schools that are better including another sec and acc that finished in the top 15....it's disrespectful

I disagree, but fair enough.

Softballinar

Quote from: softballdad2118 on June 08, 2015, 11:55:24 am

I don't know if it's disrespect.   The way money has to be chopped up at college,  some recruits warrant more money.   Out of state tuition isn't cheap.   But if someone feels like that have been disrespected,  then I guess that's how the feel.   It's nothing personal,  just part of the recruiting process.   

softballdad2118

Quote from: Softballinar on June 08, 2015, 03:22:13 pm
I don't know if it's disrespect.   The way money has to be chopped up at college,  some recruits warrant more money.   Out of state tuition isn't cheap.   But if someone feels like that have been disrespected,  then I guess that's how the feel.   It's nothing personal,  just part of the recruiting process.

I was just responding to why some players didn't go to Arkansas, i don't have a dog in the fight however I know of one that was told because they are a Arkansas kid, get the lottery, they should just go to Arkansas because you live here...to me and that family that is disrespectful but we can all disagree..wish she would have!!

Softballinar

Quote from: softballdad2118 on June 08, 2015, 06:33:17 pm
I was just responding to why some players didn't go to Arkansas, i don't have a dog in the fight however I know of one that was told because they are a Arkansas kid, get the lottery, they should just go to Arkansas because you live here...to me and that family that is disrespectful but we can all disagree..wish she would have!!

I wouldn't disagree with you on the lottery comment.   If you want a play,  offer the player what you can.