Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Foley and Rickey Smith

Started by baumsquad, March 11, 2014, 08:28:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baumsquad

Joe Foley should be the coach and should have had the job numerous times. If he would have gotten the job before I guarantee you Arkansas wouldn't be in the situation they are in now in what has become a pretty lousy "SEC" program. Foley can flat out coach, and anyone who has watched his teams know that! I am sure Foley's top assistant would be Rickey Smith at Fort Smith Northside. Smith knows Arkansas High School better than any one "ever" has while being in the semifinals of state tournament 15 out of last 16 years and 10 Final appearances and going after his 7th state title this weekend!! Smith has built a dynasty at Northside!  For all you people comparing to Gus? Smith's resume is "better" than Gus's was! Smith mark it down would be the womens college version of Gus! Foley and Smith "would" keep the good in state talent in Arkansas and up on the hill were they belong. I don't understand how Foley is not the next coach of the Lady Backs! He is a proven winner inside the state! Why would Long take a chance on some of these up and comers when you have one of the best in the business in Little Rock! Long should do the correct thing an get Foley-Smith and get back to enjoying winning!!!!
JUST WIN BABY!!

Hogtied85

March 11, 2014, 10:30:57 am #1 Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:42:29 am by Hogtired10
Quote from: baumsquad on March 11, 2014, 08:28:56 am
Joe Foley should be the coach and should have had the job numerous times. If he would have gotten the job before I guarantee you Arkansas wouldn't be in the situation they are in now in what has become a pretty lousy "SEC" program. Foley can flat out coach, and anyone who has watched his teams know that! I am sure Foley's top assistant would be Rickey Smith at Fort Smith Northside. Smith knows Arkansas High School better than any one "ever" has while being in the semifinals of state tournament 15 out of last 16 years and 10 Final appearances and going after his 7th state title this weekend!! Smith has built a dynasty at Northside!  For all you people comparing to Gus? Smith's resume is "better" than Gus's was! Smith mark it down would be the womens college version of Gus! Foley and Smith "would" keep the good in state talent in Arkansas and up on the hill were they belong. I don't understand how Foley is not the next coach of the Lady Backs! He is a proven winner inside the state! Why would Long take a chance on some of these up and comers when you have one of the best in the business in Little Rock! Long should do the correct thing an get Foley-Smith and get back to enjoying winning!!!!

When was the  last time Foley won a championship. When was the last time he did anything special. I don't doubt his coaching abilities but how come he has not been anywhere else? Has UALR been to a sweet 16, Elite 8 or final 4? Its not just about hiring someone whose had a great record before coming here. Tom and Susie both had great records before they came here. They lacked personality, enthusiasm and passion. Being a good coach is not enough. We the people want to be entertained. Hog ball was not entertaining to watch nor was the coaching staff. I will always be an advocate for Matt Daniel because he has all of those intangibles qualities. I know people keep referring to his record at Marshall but lets remember he is rebuilding that program from the ground up. UCA had better talent than Marshall and therefore was able to do a lot more with them also lead in the transition when UCA moved to DI. Matt is the real deal. He would be in a better situation at Arkansas than Marshall.

Assistant Coaches
Rickey Smith - (Guard coach)
Shameka Christon (Forward coach)- similiar to Jessica Jackson/Develop Jackson game/ use for Recruiting
Lauren Ervin - Post Coach

Hogtied85

Hogtied85

Quote from: hog63 on March 11, 2014, 12:37:44 pm
Just don't see it.

Wishful thinking. Got to have faith and believe :) Go  :razorback:

Rocket23

I like that he is young and a go-getter and has had some success, plus has been through the school of hard knocks and bounced back with success.  Very similar to another Arkansas product Mike Neighbors.

Several in the athletic department didnt care for Matt because of his attitude. Their words not mine.  His dad is a great person, so I know he was taught well.

donkey

Daniel could be a very good coach in time.  But, to question what Foley has won while promoting Daniel is a little hypocritical, IMO.  Foley has won the Sunbelt, the Sunbelt Tournament, and has won in the NCAAT.  Daniel won a Southland title.  Neither have been to the sweet 16 or better and that's not really to be expected in Women's basketball where there is typically a 30 point chasm between the top 25-35 teams in the country and everyone else. 

Both are interesting candidates.  Daniel took UCA from D2 to D1.  Foley took over UALR after they had just recently started their program back up.  Not to mention the fact that he's recruiting to a commuter school with no on-campus housing.  Foley has been considered the best basketball coach in the state for a long time and, for some, even when Gary Blair was here. 

Daniel is floundering a bit with Marshall, but he may put it together once he gets his players in there.  He's a terrific motivator and a good promoter of his program.  I do doubt whether or not he can out scheme or prepare many people in the SEC. 

At the end of the day, I doubt either are truly considered.  I'm not sure, at 56 or 57, that Foley would take the job anyway. 

baumsquad

If Foley offered the job he would take it!, but to act like Matt Daniel would be a better hire than Foley is crazy! The young energetic recruiter is where Smith would come in for Foley!

JUST WIN BABY!!

donkey

Do Foley and Smith have an existing relationship?  Not sure if you've been around many of Foley's practices, but not just anyone can play for him.  He's one of the more intense coaches in America.  He seems calm and controlled on the sideline, but I assure you that he is tough in practice.  I say that because its not just about the talent with him, you've got to get players who can mentally handle being driven like he does. 

baumsquad

Foley and Smith have a relationship? Smith played for Foley at Tech when Foley coached boys, and when Foley went to the Golden Suns Smith was a assistant for the teams that won National titles! Smith and Foley are as close of friends as you could be. Foley was a mentor to Smith! If you have been to Foley practices like you say then you would know what Nside practices are like because Smith is intense an a tireless worker like Foley! I have been to both and will tell u Nside gets after it on the practice floor as do Foleys teams.
JUST WIN BABY!!