Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Agim reminds me of someone... ???

Started by HogsRule1, April 25, 2016, 12:49:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsRule1

April 25, 2016, 12:49:09 pm Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:02:28 pm by Doug
When I think about where the Hogs are at right now and McTelvin Agim... Only one team and one name comes to mind South Carolina in 2011 and Jadeveon Clowney.

2015 Arkansas Razorbacks Football Final Record: 8-5, 5-3 (SEC)

2010 South Carolina Gamecocks Football Final Record: 9-5, 5-3 (SEC)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
2011 South Carolina Final Record: 11-2, 6-2 (SEC)

Both teams lost Quaterbacks who had been a very important part in their program (Stephen Garcia for South Carolina and BA for the Hogs). Let's hope that Agim brings the same kind of impact that Clowney did for the Gamecocks in 2011 and so on. (He definitely has the potential to). ;)

2016 Arkansas Final Record: ???????

Mod Edit: Fixing wanton layout screwups.

Pig in the Pokey

April 25, 2016, 12:52:16 pm #1 Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:02:16 pm by Doug
Quote from: HogsRule1 on April 25, 2016, 12:49:09 pm
When I think about where the Hogs are at right now and McTelvin Agim... Only one team and one name comes to mind South Carolina in 2011 and Jadeveon Clowney.

2015 Arkansas Razorbacks Football Final Record: 8-5, 5-3 (SEC)

2010 South Carolina Gamecocks Football Final Record: 9-5, 5-3 (SEC)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
2011 South Carolina Final Record: 11-2, 6-2 (SEC)

Both teams lost Quaterbacks who had been a very important part in their program (Stephen Garcia for South Carolina and BA for the Hogs). Let's hope that Agim brings the same kind of impact that Clowney did for the Gamecocks in 2011 and so on. (He definitely has the potential to). ;)

2016 Arkansas Final Record: ???????
another similarity is they had Lattimore come on for them and we have Whaley...

Mod Edit: Fixing wanton layout screwups.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Seebs

Two things are different: Character and heart. Clowney is the Ryan Leaf of Defensive draftees in the NFL. Agim  may surpass Clowney's NFL's totals, when the time comes, in his first year. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

HogsRule1

Quote from: Seebs on April 25, 2016, 12:53:19 pm
Two things are different: Character and heart. Clowney is the Ryan Leaf of Defensive draftees in the NFL. Agim  may surpass Clowney's NFL's totals, when the time comes, in his first year.
True.

Biggus Piggus

Another thing is different: South Carolina is in the East.
[CENSORED]!

longpig

I see more similarity to Warren Sapp than Jadeveon Clowney.
Don't be scared, be smart.

bennyl08

Quote from: Seebs on April 25, 2016, 12:53:19 pm

In what way is Clowney a Ryan Leaf?

He got injured his first year and played well for what is effectively his rookie season.

Pro football focus rated him the 24th best edge rusher with an overall grade of 82.3. Whitney Mercilus his counter was given a grade of 85.2 which ranked 15 for some level of context here. He hasn't taken the world by storm, but it took players like Manning a handful of seasons to really find their legs. Has he been worth the #1 pick so far? Obviously not. However 17 games total played where the player has shown marked improvement during those games is not enough to say bust and is typically the opposite of a bust. If he stagnates, then yeah, he'll be a bust relative to the first overall pick. But, he hasn't shown any stagnation in the NFL yet, so IMO it is a stretch to assume he will in the future.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2016, 01:27:36 pm

I agree it was a stretch, but both were drafted WAY too high, and neither is very bright.

Though it has yet to be seen, I think Clowney will have an underwhelming NFL career, just like Ryan Leaf.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

longpig

He got injured his first year and played well for what is effectively his rookie season.

Pro football focus rated him the 24th best edge rusher with an overall grade of 82.3. Whitney Mercilus his counter was given a grade of 85.2 which ranked 15 for some level of context here. He hasn't taken the world by storm, but it took players like Manning a handful of seasons to really find their legs. Has he been worth the #1 pick so far? Obviously not. However 17 games total played where the player has shown marked improvement during those games is not enough to say bust and is typically the opposite of a bust. If he stagnates, then yeah, he'll be a bust relative to the first overall pick. But, he hasn't shown any stagnation in the NFL yet, so IMO it is a stretch to assume he will in the future.

Agree, other than the Manning/DE to QB comparison.  A few of his injuries could be the result of a lack of training too i.e. sports hernia.

bennyl08

Quote from: longpig on April 25, 2016, 01:34:32 pm
Agree, other than the Manning/DE to QB comparison.  A few of his injuries could be the result of a lack of training too i.e. sports hernia.

Eh, we'll see. Peyton had a qbr or 71 his first season starting. Only twice in his very long career did it dip below 90 after that (one was an 88, the other was his very last season season). So, it took him a season to find his legs as an efficient passer.

Looking at players similar in position to Clowney, I looked up the three best pass rushers in the league, Watt, Houston, and Miller. Miller exploded onto the scene and hasn't let off since. However, JJ Watt and Justin Houston both only had 5.5 sacks their first seasons starting 16 games. Clowney's first somewhat healthy season he had 4.5 sacks in 13 games.

In SC he habitually showed to not be a hard worker. We will see what he does in 2016. Both players hit double digits their second season as starters and that is definitely the expectation Clowney has coming into this season. Not trying to crown him anything or say he can't be a bust. Only that it is way too soon and he is currently trending in the right direction.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

All Hogs

Hope used him in the wildcat often...

Peter Porker

Another similarity is they both play football.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Dropkick

Quote from: All Hogs on April 25, 2016, 02:14:23 pm
Hope used him in the wildcat often...
If we do this he or Reed will have to change numbers I think. Aren't they both wearing #3?

Seebs

I am not a believer and predict a less than stellar NFL career is all. Perhaps this next year I am proven wrong - would be nice for the Texans.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: Dropkick on April 25, 2016, 02:29:12 pm
If we do this he or Reed will have to change numbers I think. Aren't they both wearing #3?
they can be if they play different sides of the ball like
1. Jared Cornelius
1. Ryan Pulley

scorekeeper

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on April 25, 2016, 02:34:51 pm
they can be if they play different sides of the ball like
1. Jared Cornelius
1. Ryan Pulley
Quote from: Dropkick on April 25, 2016, 02:29:12 pm
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

longpig

Quote from: Seebs on April 25, 2016, 02:31:39 pm
I am not a believer and predict a less than stellar NFL career is all. Perhaps this next year I am proven wrong - would be nice for the Texans.

Clowney may be one of those rare kind of guys that can simply show up and be better than most, but isn't ever going to make the extra effort to do more than keep his job, get paid. 

Dropkick

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 25, 2016, 02:27:41 pm
Another similarity is they both play football.
Dude, you just blew my mind.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

theFlyingHog

Quote from: longpig on April 25, 2016, 03:05:02 pm
Clowney may be one of those rare kind of guys that can simply show up and be better than most, but isn't ever going to make the extra effort to do more than keep his job, get paid.
Not to undermine JJ Watt's natural talent but it's easy to see how his work ethic sets him apart. Where Clowney probably has a similar natural ability with no work ethic

bennyl08

Quote from: Seebs on April 25, 2016, 02:31:39 pm

That is fair enough. Just that there is a pretty big distinction b/w "So and so is the next big bust" and so and so will be a bust IMO.

For example, I think Cousins ranks below Andy Dalton on the QB scale making him a less than ideal starter, though not much below Dalton, meaning he would be a highly coveted backup qb a la Chase Daniels.

trphog

More of a Joey Bosa type player to me

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: trphog on April 25, 2016, 05:23:26 pm
More of a Joey Bosa type player to me

That was my thought, but it sounded so strange I kept it to myself.  +1
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

trphog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 26, 2016, 08:48:14 am
That was my thought, but it sounded so strange I kept it to myself.  +1
Ha - I know what you mean! If you look at Bosa' freshmen stats there is no reason to think that Agim can't emulate him at least in that way.

yraciv

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 25, 2016, 01:05:00 pm

And Jadevon Clowney and Marcus Lattimore were both Top 10 in the country recruits.  Don't get me wrong, I don't question if I think Agim will have a great career and potentially surpass Clowney's production as a pro. But as a FR, Jadevon's natural ability was much ahead.  And the gap between Lattimore & Whaley is even greater.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 25, 2016, 01:05:00 pm
damnit, Biggus!!!!!! It's always you lol.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 25, 2016, 03:25:45 pm
Not to undermine JJ Watt's natural talent but it's easy to see how his work ethic sets him apart. Where Clowney probably has a similar natural ability with no work ethic
but, being as how they are on the same team, it should be obvious to all involved. Yet he is still gonna play a lot for them this year. If he has learned how to be a pro, look out. Or, this time next year the bust label will abound.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

@Slackaveli

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Snizzzo

Quote from: longpig on April 25, 2016, 01:25:00 pm
I see more similarity to Warren Sapp than Jadeveon Clowney.

Good call!  Depending on his growth and how much he plays inside, that may be absolutely spot on. 

bennyl08

I haven't seen a true freshmen DL player this good since Joe Montana!

longpig

Quote from: Snizzzo on April 26, 2016, 04:00:59 pm

Good call!  Depending on his growth and how much he plays inside, that may be absolutely spot on.

No doubt he'll gain 20 to 30 lb sooner than later, won't be surprised if he puts on as much as 15 and moves inside this fall.

jdevers

Clowney and Lattimore were actually both number 1 overall players.  Clowney by a lot on virtually every service.  Both had highly successful NCAA careers and the NFL is looking up, but two players who have never played a college game are better for sure.