Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Comments on the Spring game

Started by nwahogfan1, April 23, 2016, 02:23:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Here's what excites me-our spring game looked exactly like Bama's spring games always look.  I consider  Bama our yardstick. 

Defense dominated.  Just like Bama.  It was boring.  Just like Bama.  It told the coaches what needs to be worked on.  Just like Bama.  There were small windows that gave us glimpses of talent and ability all over the field.  Just like Bama.

It was the perfect spring game.  Just like Bama.

hawg IQ

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 23, 2016, 10:01:10 pm
''Q" is obviously a letter.
I used the connecting conjunction "and" meaning also.
If I had connected the two thoughts with "as well as other", then I would have mistakenly equated "Q" with pronouns.

I wasn't using alternative name calling.  I was instead using complete absurdity.

If you are truly, honestly requesting clarification. .......There will be fans that don't understand that we're changing skill sets and experience at QB.   They will not understand (poorly informed) very well the complexity of replacing 60% of your OL AND the QB.

They'll think that BB gets paid a lot of money and we "whupped butt" against some good teams the last two years and why oh why didn't we progress our record at least by one win this year.

Their lack of knowledge and understanding will give them expectations that most likely will not be met.
They'll be grumbly and upset.  They'll blame and gripe.

To me, this should be pretty obvious, but one of us isn't connecting well.  Maybe it's me.  Either way, I doubt this is anything even worth discussing, but you wanted it so here ya go.

I got to admit you are some where ahead of me and I fear, it might hard to catch up. you are any intellectual nut or off the realm. no matter, its a rebuilding year, especially on offense, I get that offense, but how are we uninformed ?  If the rb's come along and A Allen jells into 2/3 Brandon, I think can compete with the bigs in the SEC.
   There is a vast separation in your thoughts and mine, but at this point I think the hogs in football are undefined !?
go hogs go !

ijustpork

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 23, 2016, 10:39:19 pm

I got to admit you are some where ahead of me and I fear, it might hard to catch up. you are any intellectual nut or off the realm. no matter, its a rebuilding year, especially on offense, I get that offense, but how are we uninformed ?  If the rb's come along and A Allen jells into 2/3 Brandon, I think can compete with the bigs in the SEC.
   There is a vast separation in your thoughts and mine, but at this point I think the hogs in football are undefined !?

People motivated enough to come to message boards aren't indicative of the average fan.
Most on Hogville seem to be predicting 6-6 to 8-4.

Joe Sixpack hasn't read informed posts from key, knowledgeable posters or read links from MuskogeeHogFan threads explaining blocking schemes, etc.

If two friends of mine that keep up with the Hogs (passively except for watching the games) are indicative of average fans, they are only worried about the change in QB.  Nothing else really.
Furthermore,  they think that since AA is a Junior, he'll basically be able to step right in and be up to speed by game 4 or so.

Barring a huge, unexpected breakout from our new guys, they're going to be upset.
They think 9-3 is just about the perfect prediction.
I doubt the general public is too far off.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

rzrbackramsfan

You definitely can't place the spring scrimmage and know 100% how the year will go BUT it does give an indication and is not entirely worthless on how the year will go.

root_hawg

It's in going to be a long season, Sept to Jan ... that's pretty long... knew I would get someone with that...;)

longpig

Quote from: JIHawg on April 23, 2016, 10:29:39 pm
Here's what excites me-our spring game looked exactly like Bama's spring games always look.  I consider  Bama our yardstick. 

Defense dominated.  Just like Bama.  It was boring.  Just like Bama.  It told the coaches what needs to be worked on.  Just like Bama.  There were small windows that gave us glimpses of talent and ability all over the field.  Just like Bama.

Don't be scared, be smart.

Hawgar The Horrible

I have watched the game twice now. The offense has talent, but it is raw and inexperienced. Physically, they have the tools. The learning curve facing them is however ginormous. Way too many mental brain farts today.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: presidenthog on April 23, 2016, 09:20:27 pm
I posted this elsewhere but I'll put it here also.

I watched mainly the QB'S and WR's. I usually watch the O and D line but idk what came over me today. any who austin will have to improve. I expect him to probably turn it on in the second half.

it seems his timing and anticipation isn't where it needs to be. (also his chemistry with hatcher) I watched several times that he threw the ball after the reciever had made his break in a route into open space and it gave the DB a chance to make a play on the ball. it's a good thing we have some warm up games at the beginning and summer to go. Hollister looks faster and looks like he might have the best connection with austin  I'm hoping Cornelius gets the ball more but hell there is only 1 ball and like 6 guys between sprinkle and the WR corp.

speaking of sprinkle he looks great.

also peavey's footwork coming out from under center is terrible. too many steps and he just has a rushed happy feet look.

I will try to find the full game online and watch the lines and give my synopsis.

also my brother as usual watched the secondaries coverage the whole time and right before the half we did the exact same thing we did all against auburn and every other team. quarters quarters quarters quarters. we run the same coverage every play when it's a 2 minute drill. we have to mix it up or we will get burned like we did last year just getting out schemed.
I am assuming that by "warm up games" you mean in relation only to our conference record, not overall. We begin with a good team in LaTech, then play TCU. That's 1 1/2 chances to lose.

I couldn't agree more about Hollister. He looked fantastic out there. He may wind up being to AA what Drew Morgan was to BA last year. I fully expect DM to show out, but my way too early feeling is that Hollister is going to be his go to guy.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 23, 2016, 04:50:45 pm
thoroughly mediocre looking at this point.

Most spring games are..................everywhere.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

searkhogfan

Quote from: JIHawg on April 23, 2016, 10:29:39 pm

+1 for everything but the Bama stuff. 

searkhogfan

hawg IQ

April 24, 2016, 08:25:35 am #62 Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:20:03 am by hawg IQ
Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 23, 2016, 10:51:54 pm

People motivated enough to come to message boards aren't indicative of the average fan.
Most on Hogville seem to be predicting 6-6 to 8-4.

Joe Sixpack hasn't read informed posts from key, knowledgeable posters or read links from MuskogeeHogFan threads explaining blocking schemes, etc.

If two friends of mine that keep up with the Hogs (passively except for watching the games) are indicative of average fans, they are only worried about the change in QB.  Nothing else really.
Furthermore,  they think that since AA is a Junior, he'll basically be able to step right in and be up to speed by game 4 or so.

Barring a huge, unexpected breakout from our new guys, they're going to be upset.
They think 9-3 is just about the perfect prediction.
I doubt the general public is too far off.
I posted some place else that this team will not be defined until fall practice gets here.  My thoughts are as of right now, that running backs are a huge missing element.
Development of AA is important, but I think he's good enough to get by.

A couple of offensive lineman need to come along. linebacker play always a huge need for SEC defenses. And here at Arkansas, has anybody ever been that confident with our secondary. I , as one hog fan just cannot predict this group just yet.
go hogs go !

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 24, 2016, 08:25:35 am
I posted some place else that this team will not be defined until fall practice gets here.  My thoughts are as of right now, that running backs are a huge missing element.
Development of AA is important, but I think he's good enough to get by.

A couple of offensive lineman need to come along. linebacker play always a huge need for SEC defenses and here at Arkansas, has anybody ever been that confident with our secondary. I , as one hog fan just cannot predict this group just yet.

I'm not overly worried about the RBs.   With RW3, KW, Whaley, and then the others (Duwop, etc), I think we'll be alright.  I think LB play will be much improved with a year of experience for Dre and Ellis.  Ramsey seems ready to fill the other hole.  The others should be capable of providing breathers.  A Freshman could really surprise as well.

OL Is my biggest concern.

BTW, you sound like you agree with me other than you seem to be more reluctant with your overall concern/nervousness.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

TNhawgfan

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 23, 2016, 04:50:45 pm
thoroughly mediocre looking at this point.
If that ends up being the case, they will fit in nicely with our mediocre basketball and baseball teams from this year
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

RebelW

I'd be mad if our 1st team offense killed our 2nd team defense like it did last year. That'd make me think our defense was going to be the same as last year. Plus we didn't have a couple Jucos and some highly touted freshmen coming in. I honestly like this team better than lay as far as an all around team. People will get surprised..

hawg IQ

Quote from: presidenthog on April 23, 2016, 09:20:27 pm
I posted this elsewhere but I'll put it here also.

I watched mainly the QB'S and WR's. I usually watch the O and D line but idk what came over me today. any who austin will have to improve. I expect him to probably turn it on in the second half.

it seems his timing and anticipation isn't where it needs to be. (also his chemistry with hatcher) I watched several times that he threw the ball after the reciever had made his break in a route into open space and it gave the DB a chance to make a play on the ball. it's a good thing we have some warm up games at the beginning and summer to go. Hollister looks faster and looks like he might have the best connection with austin actually. I'm hoping Cornelius gets the ball more but hell there is only 1 ball and like 6 guys between sprinkle and the WR corp.

speaking of sprinkle he looks great.

also peavey's footwork coming out from under center is terrible. too many steps and he just has a rushed happy feet look.

I will try to find the full game online and watch the lines and give my synopsis.

also my brother as usual watched the secondaries coverage the whole time and right before the half we did the exact same thing we did all against auburn and every other team. quarters quarters quarters quarters. we run the same coverage every play when it's a 2 minute drill. we have to mix it up or we will get burned like we did last year just getting out schemed.

While I didn't watch Peavy's feet, I saw some good things there. He is much more mobile, you could see him making decisions on the move. Some were not good decisions( needs to improve there).  B Allen being able to do that better really helped 2 nd half of season last fall.
    Its a start anyway.  I think  A Allen did, well he did okay and should be the starter. Flashbacks on B Allen developing so slowly makes for a little worry about AA, but he looked like he could/can do it.

As far as the secondary scheme or play went, I thought the protective green shirts just messed a lot of things up. Actually, if I had one word about the game, it was lackluster !

D Wise looked good and Agim also !   all in all, it was hard to get a good read, but then again, it was just another spring game meant more for evaluation and for coaches to coach with.
go hogs go !

hawg IQ

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 24, 2016, 08:34:25 am
I'm not overly worried about the RBs.   With RW3, KW, Whaley, and then the others (Duwop, etc), I think we'll be alright.  I think LB play will be much improved with a year of experience for Dre and Ellis.  Ramsey seems ready to fill the other hole.  The others should be capable of providing breathers.  A Freshman could really surprise as well.

OL Is my biggest concern.

BTW, you sound like you agree with me other than you seem to be more reluctant with your overall concern/nervousness.
I think when most hog fans are posting like they are sharing opinions and simply conversing , we do mostly agree. Its the wisecracks and know it alls  that mostly want to argue or nit pick that really disagrees.
  respecting someone else's opinions and thoughts gives us better insights in our own thinking as we evaluate our team.
We all want a championship team or 10-2 seasons, but sometime reality gets in the way and we begin thinking with our heads more than our hearts. As we bounce our thoughts off one another, we get a better picture of where we really are team wise.
Go Hogs !
go hogs go !

BigSexyHog

Want my comments.   Here you go.

It's a spring game. I don't have any.   But I do love all the wanna-be experts who think watching the spring game knows who should play, and who sucks.  It was just nice to know that in a few months football season is here.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

tusksincolorado

Quote from: AP85 on April 23, 2016, 05:33:28 pm
It was a second team defensive back. No. Not impressed.

We need to strap you up then and place you out on the field....then we might see if you would be impressed.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Redhogs

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 23, 2016, 10:29:28 pm
Not sure who you're placing into that categoty.

I'm excited about the coming season.
I think it's a building year though.

I'll be happy with 7-6 or 8-5.
9-4 should get BB The COTY award.

It'll be fun and at times frustrating.

I'm guessing we may see more overall team improvement from game one to our final regular season game than we've ever seen.
We're that raw in places,

We also have the potential and coaching to make that kind of leap.
Isn't every year a building year at Arkansas (sarcasm/off)...this is year four of CBB you know. Hope you are wrong
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

wupigsuey

I was impressed with AA's accuracy. Only remember 1 that got away from him. Did throw some risky passes though. FG kicking is still an issue. Hopefully FG attempt blocking isn't. The rest I just take with a grain of salt.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: BigSexyHog on April 24, 2016, 09:30:57 am
Want my comments.   Here you go.

It's a spring game. I don't have any.   But I do love all the wanna-be experts who think watching the spring game knows who should play, and who sucks.  It was just nice to know that in a few months football season is here.

I'm with you on it getting closer to football season. Before the Spring practices even started I said 10 wins this year. Simply not enough information to make an accurate prediction, so why not be optimistic about our team? And I'm not coming down from that prediction  - until Fall camp.

Fall camp is where you begin to see the team take shape. I hope by September I can feel good about keeping the wins at 8+.

But to have this gloom and doom of a 6 win season in the Spring is crazy. Yet some call crazy being realistic.   ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

azhog10

Wasn't really impressed by much of anything. Thought DLine looked good or the OLine looked bad. Don't think it's a combination of both. One or the other

DBs did okay, but the QBs weren't good at all from what I saw. Austin looked too long at his receiver before throwing, Rafe couldn't seem to keep his head up long enough before dropping his head and running. RBs weren't any better. But maybe Whaley, Hammonds, and Walker will be better.

I'm not a fan of spring games. Wish they would actually let you play someone. Then things might would look some different. For now it's a day to appease fans.

longpig

April 24, 2016, 12:25:01 pm #74 Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:41:31 pm by longpig
Quote from: hawg IQ on April 24, 2016, 08:48:55 am

While I didn't watch Peavy's feet, I saw some good things there. He is much more mobile, you could see him making decisions on the move. Some were not good decisions( needs to improve there).  B Allen being able to do that better really helped 2 nd half of season last fall.
    Its a start anyway.  I think  A Allen did, well he did okay and should be the starter. Flashbacks on B Allen developing so slowly makes for a little worry about AA, but he looked like he could/can do it.

As far as the secondary scheme or play went, I thought the protective green shirts just messed a lot of things up. Actually, if I had one word about the game, it was lackluster !

D Wise looked good and Agim also !   all in all, it was hard to get a good read, but then again, it was just another spring game meant more for evaluation and for coaches to coach with.

Looks and sounds like the greatest QB of all time, maybe he'll start playing like him too.
Don't be scared, be smart.

MTBrookHog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 23, 2016, 06:24:16 pm
1) Defense will carry the team, at least at the start of the season. This could be another 2014 D that actually plays at that level for an entire season... God I hope so!

2) Hollister is going to be a major weapon this season. Out of everyone, his play made the biggest impression on me.

3) Second team defense looks very good. Sosa is a specimen. He will be feared by the end of the season and garner a lot of national hype going into his sophomore year. going into his sophomore year. Our DB's looked greatly improved over last season, providing tight coverage against a very talented group of WR's. Than you CPR.

4) Hatcher may not have shaken his inconsistency issues. The best thing about our receivers last year was the lack of drops and mental miscues. We had high hopes for Hatcher going into last season, mostly based on his play towards the end of 2014, but it remains to be seen which Keon we will get.

5) Can't wait to get Walker, Whaley, and Hammonds playing. RW looks as good as ever, but the drop off from there is significant.

6) Was the announcer correct that Duwop offered to move to safety???

7) Barring injury, the offensive line is going to be fine. AA had good protection against a very good DL. RW was able to get loose. It's not a finished product by any means, but again, we need talented RB's on the field. We only got a look at one SEC level RB today, IMO. No disrespect to Duwop, but I just don't see it yet.

8 ) Field goal protection should be fine, but we still don't have a consistent kicker. I think we are in for another year reminiscent of Alex Tejada. I'll be surprised if it doesn't cost us at least one this year.

9) I really, really, REALLY want to see RP play in a game.*** Because of his particular skill set, it's very hard to see what he can do when he's wearing that green jersey. There were a couple of times I think he could have made a big play had the whistle not blown because a defender got a hand on him. ***I AM NOT SAYING RP SHOULD BE THE STARTER; let's be clear on that. But he is always one play away from it, and I'd like to know what we've got.

10) Someone not named Sprinkle has got to step up and separate themselves at TE.

Overall, I was very happy with what I saw from the D (1st and 2nd team). The offense, as expected, is missing a few pieces, most of which should be here by Fall. AA is still figuring things out, but I fully expect that he will hit his stride. OL is a little bit ahead of where I expected them to be at this point. Just my .02
First off, this is not a diss.
My main concern during the season is is the back up ready to step in. The game where we lost 3 QB's in one game is still in the back of my head.
I liked the philosophy that Coach Holtz had when he let the 2's come in during meaningful time instead of mop up time.
With that said, we have seen that Coach Beliema does not adhere to that philosophy. We have to the hope that the back up gets prepared during game week.
That's why the OL is so critical. We have to protect the QB at all costs. Can we do that next year without having holding penalties.

WilsonHog

Coach B pointed out in his press conference yesterday that when Rafe feels pressure he tends to flush left or right, which they are trying to coach him not to do. They want him to step up in the pocket, which is designed as a "U" for his protection, and throw the football.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 24, 2016, 09:02:26 am
I think when most hog fans are posting like they are sharing opinions and simply conversing , we do mostly agree. Its the wisecracks and know it alls  that mostly want to argue or nit pick that really disagrees.
  respecting someone else's opinions and thoughts gives us better insights in our own thinking as we evaluate our team.
We all want a championship team or 10-2 seasons, but sometime reality gets in the way and we begin thinking with our heads more than our hearts. As we bounce our thoughts off one another, we get a better picture of where we really are team wise.
Go Hogs !

Granted a 10-2 season would be very enjoyable but I'm not ready to make a prediction yet because there is just too much uncertainty on the Offensive side of the ball. The Defense however, looks pretty solid and there seems to be some quality depth there too.

To me, the problem with the kicking game isn't hitting the long ones, Cole Hedlund has proven that he can do that, he just doesn't hit them on a consistent basis. Hopefully the Consistency will come by the time the LA Tech game starts. Just my opinion.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

razorbackfanatic

First play of the game Coley came up and made a great tackle on a much bigger than him Jeremy Sprinkle. Him and Sykes have me excited about our depth in the secondary. I think Sykes is going to be very good before he's done here.

ricepig

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on April 24, 2016, 01:51:45 pm
First play of the game Coley came up and made a great tackle on a much bigger than him Jeremy Sprinkle. Him and Sykes have me excited about our depth in the secondary. I think Sykes is going to be very good before he's done here.

Coley can tackle, coverage, or knowing the coverage has been his problem. Hopefully they have him at a position he can use his best attributes.

hawg IQ

Quote from: GuvHog on April 24, 2016, 01:44:53 pm
Granted a 10-2 season would be very enjoyable but I'm not ready to make a prediction yet because there is just too much uncertainty on the Offensive side of the ball. The Defense however, looks pretty solid and there seems to be some quality depth there too.

To me, the problem with the kicking game isn't hitting the long ones, Cole Hedlund has proven that he can do that, he just doesn't hit them on a consistent basis. Hopefully the Consistency will come by the time the LA Tech game starts. Just my opinion.
No doubt a lot of coaching needs to done there. kicking is a lot of mind games, but could/can be mechanical.  Right now there's lot of uncertainty with this team, but some areas like defense (ones) looked pretty good.

I think things will settle out on this. Just don't see a win at TCU, Bama game or A&M.  But while the book might be out still, how much help will Whaley, Hammonds bring, I think RW 3 will be pretty good also. If those things jell quickly along with OLine, hogs might do fairly well.
go hogs go !

Hog N Bama

Not necessarily a rah rah Town guy yet but that throw to Bell for a TD got my attention and makes me want to see more. Austin has a nice zip to his throws. I like the way he took charge and didn't panic on that bad snap and made it look easy  :razorback:

Hog N Bama

Also, I wanted to mention Bell, Froholdt, Sprinkle and Agim stood out and made me say wow. They look IN COMMAND on the field, let me tell ya.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2016, 01:54:43 pm
Coley can tackle, coverage, or knowing the coverage has been his problem. Hopefully they have him at a position he can use his best attributes.
Coley's past 2 spring game performances just scream he has to have some role in actual games, dude doesn't miss, unless KW just runs over him! LOL! it must mean he is struggling with something in coverage or technique.

Anybody know who 39 was at the other Red safety when Miller wasn't in the game, never could see the name, and I don't remember anybody with that number other than Day.

factchecker

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 24, 2016, 03:10:17 pm
Anybody know who 39 was at the other Red safety when Miller wasn't in the game, never could see the name, and I don't remember anybody with that number other than Day.

Byron Keaton- walk on from Camden. 

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/byron-keaton/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawginbigd1

Quote from: factchecker on April 24, 2016, 03:23:22 pm
Byron Keaton- walk on from Camden. 

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/byron-keaton/
Thx looked at the participation link and couldn't find a 39 other than Day.

I might have missed it somewhere did Cornelius Floyd quit football, leave the program?

TheRazorback500

The offense looked like it usually does in a spring game with a lot of green jerseys. AA ran what was shown of the offense efficiently. The run blocking seems to be ahead of the pass protection. RW and Evans found some holes. Hollister impressed me with his speed on the edge. I like that the WRs get to carry the ball in Eno's offense. Both the first and second team defenses were good IMO. The line got good penetration, LBs were in position most of the time, and the defensive backs ran to the ball. Hopefully a kicker will attain some consistency. I'm mostly encouraged about what I saw.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

WooPig90

How come BWall wasnt out there?

TheRazorback500

Quote from: WooPig90 on April 24, 2016, 08:26:06 pm
How come BWall wasnt out there?
He had a foot injury according to the paper.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

clew

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 23, 2016, 10:01:10 pm
''Q" is obviously a letter.
I used the connecting conjunction "and" meaning also.
If I had connected the two thoughts with "as well as other", then I would have mistakenly equated "Q" with pronouns.

I wasn't using alternative name calling.  I was instead using complete absurdity.

If you are truly, honestly requesting clarification. .......There will be fans that don't understand that we're changing skill sets and experience at QB.   They will not understand (poorly informed) very well the complexity of replacing 60% of your OL AND the QB.

They'll think that BB gets paid a lot of money and we "whupped butt" against some good teams the last two years and why oh why didn't we progress our record at least by one win this year.

Their lack of knowledge and understanding will give them expectations that most likely will not be met.
They'll be grumbly and upset.  They'll blame and gripe.

To me, this should be pretty obvious, but one of us isn't connecting well.  Maybe it's me.  Either way, I doubt this is anything even worth discussing, but you wanted it so here ya go.

*slow clap*

Pure as the dawn

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: MTBrookHog on April 24, 2016, 01:07:03 pm
First off, this is not a diss.
My main concern during the season is is the back up ready to step in. The game where we lost 3 QB's in one game is still in the back of my head.
I liked the philosophy that Coach Holtz had when he let the 2's come in during meaningful time instead of mop up time.
With that said, we have seen that Coach Beliema does not adhere to that philosophy. We have to the hope that the back up gets prepared during game week.
That's why the OL is so critical. We have to protect the QB at all costs. Can we do that next year without having holding penalties.
I'm guessing you meant that wasn't a diss against CBB? I didn't see anything else in there that could be considered negative/argumentative. Regardless, I think you've made a valid point. However, I think we are going to see some special packages where they use RP in regular game time this season. CBB has not come out and said it directly, but he has said he would not be opposed to using a second QB in order to utilize a different skill set. Obviously, RP has a different skill set than AA, and it could make for a nice change up.

As far as the OL's protection goes, I thought they did a pretty decent job of it in the R/W game against a very stout DL. By the start of the season, the 1's should be a pretty good unit, but we'll need them to stay healthy if we're going to move the ball effectively. They need as many reps together, as a unit, as they can get.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Pork Twain

Quote from: root_hawg on April 23, 2016, 09:50:30 pm
Going to be a long season
I attended VT's spring game this weekend and as i told my wife and daughters before it began, this is just a public practice, a glorified scrimmage and you should not make too much of it because there is still a very long way till the first snap of the season and things are still in the foundational phase.  Unfortunately for Hogville, my wife and daughters now know more about what the Spring scrimmage actually represents, than many on here.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bennyl08

Quote from: presidenthog on April 23, 2016, 09:03:27 pm
Austin gets the ball out late. I was in the stands and would see the hole in the defense and watch the WR make his break, THEN austin would turn and throw it. he has to get his timing down and anticipate more. he needs to let that ball go before the break so the defender doesn't have a chance to make a play on the ball.

he hit reed on a post and the defender got to reed the same time the ball did. against better DB'S it could have been a pick.

First round drafted qb's in the NFL don't have that mastered. I'd argue that less than half of NFL starters are able to do that with any level of consistency. It's certainly something a qb should aim to do. However, faulting a QB for not throwing the ball before the receiver breaks is akin to faulting a rb for cutting at a 27˚ angle at the angles rather than the more efficient 32˚angle (I'm making up the numbers and there is probably some variability person to person, but there was a sports science with Arian Foster on that topic).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

searkhogfan

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 25, 2016, 10:05:20 am
I attended VT's spring game this weekend and as i told my wife and daughters before it began, this is just a public practice, a glorified scrimmage and you should not make too much of it because there is still a very long way till the first snap of the season and things are still in the foundational phase.  Unfortunately for Hogville, my wife and daughters now know more about what the Spring scrimmage actually represents, than many on here.

+1

And they probably have more actual Football knowledge also..

root_hawg

Its practice, we talking PRACTICE>>>