Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slow Starts

Started by preachr, April 22, 2016, 10:34:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

preachr

2013 - 3-1
2014 - 3-1
2015 - 1-3

I keep reading that we have a pattern of slow starts, but these are the records from the first three years, first four games.

Methinks the "slow starting" mantra isn't based in reality.

Go Hogs!

a0ashle

Yeah, it certainly isn't founded in reality... those who argue slow starts end up conflating the start of the season with the start of SEC schedule, where we had A&M and Bama up front.

hogfan870

I haven't looked, but what about comparing the first four conference games to the last four - not counting the first season because we all know we went 0-8.  I think that is where it comes from.  I am sure Toledo adds to it as well, but it seems to me like we have started out conference losing (to some not as good teams), but then ended by beating better teams. Immediately, I think of losing to A&M, but then beating LSU and Ole Miss.

UAfanatic

2013 where we won the first 3 and lost ALL of the rest isn't going to be remembered for the start.
2014 where we lost the VERY first game, is going to be remembered as a bad start even if you win the next 3 to pay-to-play schools. And we lose our first 5 SEC games.

2015 was a slow start.  a woulda coulda start

but all of them make the fanbase hurt.

TexHog188

I think in the BCS era, just about anything less than undefeated is considered a slow start.  You can overcome one loss, but 2 and your done.  You can't win the BCS sweepstakes in Sept, but you can sure be out of it.

Expanding out to the first five games...

2013 - 3-2   with a final record of 3-9
2014 - 3-2   with a final record of 7-6
2015 - 2-3   with a final record of 8-5

Looking at this year's schedule, I see the potential for a 4-1 start maybe 5-0 if we solve the O-line and defend the pass.  If we don't solve the O-line or defend the pass, then another 3-2 or gulp 2-3 could be a reality.  I predict 4-1 this year as we beat the aTm's and lose late to the sexually frustrated toads.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

hogfan870

2014 - first four conference games 0-4; second four 2-2 (including wins over ranked Ole Miss and LSU)
2015 - first four conference games 2-2; second four 3-1 (again including wins over ranked Ole Miss and LSU)   

I think it is the wins at the end of the year as much as anything that give the "slow start" impression - though the losses to Tx Tech and Toledo don't help.

preachr

Quote from: hogfan870 on April 22, 2016, 12:59:47 pm
I think it is the wins at the end of the year as much as anything that give the "slow start" impression

I think you're right. Sure am glad we picked up those wins at the end of the year, though.

atekido

Quote from: preachr on April 22, 2016, 10:34:49 am
2013 - 3-1
2014 - 3-1
2015 - 1-3

I keep reading that we have a pattern of slow starts, but these are the records from the first three years, first four games.

Methinks the "slow starting" mantra isn't based in reality.

Go Hogs!

slow starts in the SEC and games of some importance. not cupcake games.  for example losing to toledo, TT, 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: atekido on April 22, 2016, 01:50:04 pm
slow starts in the SEC and games of some importance. not cupcake games.  for example losing to toledo, TT, 

You mean last season. ROFL. One point does not make a line.
[CENSORED]!

a0ashle

I think it is the wins at the end of the year as much as anything that give the "slow start" impression - though the losses to Tx Tech and Toledo don't help.

A football team should absolutely be better by game 12 then game 1... if that's not the case you're Auburn ;)

PorkSoda

2014 - first four conference games 0-4; second four 2-2 (including wins over ranked Ole Miss and LSU)
2015 - first four conference games 2-2; second four 3-1 (again including wins over ranked Ole Miss and LSU)   

I agree that its about conference wins.  pointing to beating your first 3 cupcakes as evidence of a fast start is silly.  also if you look at those wins against cupcakes, at the beginning of they year, you will likely find that they were fairly close games, that should have been blow outs.

its expected that you get better as the year goes on, but we need to start winning some conference games early if we want to be in contention.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

a0ashle

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 22, 2016, 02:41:24 pm
I agree that its about conference wins.  pointing to beating your first 3 cupcakes as evidence of a fast start is silly.  also if you look at those wins against cupcakes, at the beginning of they year, you will likely find that they were fairly close games, that should have been blow outs.

its expected that you get better as the year goes on, but we need to start winning some conference games early if we want to be in contention.

If that's the case, that this is about starting conference season, then this whole slow start argument is really a veiled way of saying "Beat Bama and A&M"... then let's just say we need to beat Bama and A&M.

PorkSoda

Quote from: a0ashle on April 22, 2016, 02:51:02 pm
If that's the case, that this is about starting conference season, then this whole slow start argument is really a veiled way of saying "Beat Bama and A&M"... then let's just say we need to beat Bama and A&M.
wouldn't argue with that.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

whoopigLakeCity

Honestly I think the slow start idea is real and it has nothing to do with the record. It seems to me as the last 3 seasons go we started out slow in play. Grinding it out. And as the season moves on we loosen up a bit and play faster more fluid. Which is kinda to be expected but we have far to much talent on this team to start slow and grind out the first few games.

navyhog24

Breaking in a new offensive line, QB, and even RB's that haven't played much will equate to a season long learning curve. We will definitely be starting the season slow

PorkSoda

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 22, 2016, 03:02:01 pm
Breaking in a new offensive line, QB, and even RB's that haven't played much will equate to a season long learning curve. We will definitely be starting the season slow
this is the reality.  I do look forward to maybe one day that we actually start fast and strong AND get better as the season goes on. 

ChitownHawg

Also those two quality wins were SEC road wins. I remember at the beginning of the LSU game they said Les was like 60 - 2 at Death Valley. They are now 60 - 3.  ;D

When you can start going on the road and beating ranked SEC teams then you are progressing upward. We are progressing upward.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Biggus Piggus

Go back and look at Houston Nutt's records in his first four SEC games per season. The only times the Hogs were at/above .500 in their first four games were when the team was really good + the opposition was soft. The schedule always seems to lighten up in the second half. Has nothing to do with how well the team starts. It's all schedule strength.

If you start a season at Auburn, you're almost sure to open 0-1 in the SEC. You see how that works?
[CENSORED]!