Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen AND Jonathan Williams to the Redskins?

Started by OPoraquê, April 20, 2016, 11:04:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

Doubt it happens, but PFF's mock Washington Redskins GM drafted Allen and Williams, each in the 5th round (hat tip: DC Pro Sports report):

http://dcprosportsreport.com/pro-football-focus-7-round-mock/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+http%2Fwwwdcprosportsreportcom%2Ffeed+%28DC+Pro+Sports+Report+feed%29

Apparently some other mock draft has the Chiefs taking BA in the 3rd.

Who knows?  But also, here's a nice article on the Chicago Bears and BA.  Hope this kid has a wonderful, injury-free NFL career, however long it lasts:

Representatives from every NFL team watched Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen at his college's pro day last month. But the Bears sent someone significant — to them and to Allen.

Offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains, a former Razorbacks quarterback and holder, has known Allen, the son of a former Arkansas defensive coach and current front-office staff member, since he was 7.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-draft-preview-arkansas-qb-brandon-allen-one-to-watch/

bennyl08

Redskins need a backup qb. And if we are being honest, their starter is basically just a high end backup himself.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 21, 2016, 12:22:51 am
Redskins need a backup qb. And if we are being honest, their starter is basically just a high end backup himself.

Not sure many high end back ups can or have thrown 29 Td pass for 4,166 when completing 69.8% of their passes to 11 Ints.

I don't want to over sale Cousins as I don't think he is an All Pro or anything like that. But that is some pretty darn good QB play IMO.

PossumFan

I would LOVE IT if my 'Skins picked up a couple of Hogs. Historically, they haven't drafted many Razorbacks. It would be a great situation for both Allen and Williams. BA could develop for a couple of years under Cousins, and the 'Skins need a lead dog RB after the departure of Alfred Morris. Matt Jones (the Gator, not the Hog) looks solid, but there's room for Williams too.

DeltaBoy

That place is a dumpster fire. I pray they don't go there.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Virgil

As a die hard Redskins fan I couldn't get that lucky!!  We hardly ever get old Razorbacks until recently. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

WizardofhOgZ

It would be kind of ironic if BA ended up in Washington, because Cousins is the guy I have been comparing him to (in the NFL) the last year.  So, it would make sense on that level.

Still can't shake the dream I had a couple of months ago that BA was playing for the Chargers.  Not playing ahead of Rivers ; just on the team.  Very random, I know.  I guess we'll see soon enough.

Hogarusa

Cousins had a real good season last year.  Dude is a 2nd round pick.  Redskins werent much of a dumpster fire last year, have had their struggles but with the distraction of RG3 hone, should be on the up and up.  Worse places for them to land
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

AirForceHog

I would absolutely love this. Hail to the Redskins!
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Murr

My 'skins finally have a GM that knows what he is doing and finally got the owner to quit messing with the team.  BA to the Redskins would be great.  I really hope Washington picks up some DL early on, a C/G, and then drafts BPA.

#HTTR

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 21, 2016, 12:22:51 am

He was the best pick redskins took that year.   Spurrier probably only took RG3 that year because he was told to.  So he picked a good back up just in case rg3 was bad. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

longpig

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 24, 2016, 09:11:01 pm
He was the best pick redskins took that year.   Spurrier probably only took RG3 that year because he was told to.  So he picked a good back up just in case rg3 was bad.

*Shanahan
Don't be scared, be smart.

Murr

Quote from: longpig on April 24, 2016, 09:26:38 pm
*Shanahan

Shanahan spent half the regular season watching every throw from QB's expected to be in the draft.  Traded up to get RG3, took Cousins in 3rd or 4th round.  Team had no QB's after the Spurrier era.

I still have nightmares from Danny Aweful throwing the ball around in the pros.

WooPig90

RzRbAcK18

I do not see BA going in the 5th. 4th at the latest. JW could very well fall that far, not being in the headlines this year is going to hurt him I think. However, every time I see his film against TAM I get chills. Dude is legit.

bennyl08

April 25, 2016, 12:18:03 am #15 Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:31:01 am by bennyl08
Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 21, 2016, 06:42:19 am
Not sure many high end back ups can or have thrown 29 Td pass for 4,166 when completing 69.8% of their passes to 11 Ints.

I don't want to over sale Cousins as I don't think he is an All Pro or anything like that. But that is some pretty darn good QB play IMO.

I submit to evidence bracket A, Nick Foles.

64% of his passes, 2891 yards, 9.1 ypa, 27:2 td:int ratio, 119 qbr.

His completion % was lower, but he had a significantly higher rate of ypa, td's per pass, and an even higher difference in his favor in qbr. Nobody would say that Foles had a bad year at qb that year. However, literally Foles even said that he doubted he would ever have a year that good. So far, he hasn't.

Cousins has had TD:INT rations of 10:9, 4:7, and 4:3 in his career before having a 29:11 ratio which still isn't great. That's about the minimum ratio a starter should have.

From what I've seen of Cousins, he doesn't have NFL starting level abilities. He can't make every throw which limits the playbook on him. This was his first year with over 300 attempts. Foles' first year with 300 attempts went great too. There is a very long list of players getting their first significant playing time and doing great. Then, once defenses have sufficient film on the player, they never do very well again.

For star players, this is often the sophomore slump where they had good first years relying on their natural talent, second year they are still learning how to be a professional and defenses shut them down, before third year they learn how to work hard and overcome the defenses counter schemes. I don't question whether Cousins will work hard. I question whether or not his hardest will be good enough to overcome the limited playbook he can physically execute.

As a backup, yeah, I think he can do great. Come in for 3 games in a season and allow the team to not lose a step. Heck, maybe he has to be the starter for a full year and he can squeeze a team into the playoffs if the other teams implode around him (this year) or he can pull a Matt Cassel and have a great team around him. Derek Anderson is another example of a guy who had one good year, taking a bad team to new heights his first year as a regular contributor and then falling back to career backup level of play. Kyle Orton is another player similar in skill set. He's had a handful of seasons as a starter, performing consistently in the mid 80's which isn't going to win you games or lose you games.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogShat

Quote from: Murr on April 24, 2016, 09:32:50 pm
Shanahan spent half the regular season watching every throw from QB's expected to be in the draft.  Traded up to get RG3, took Cousins in 3rd or 4th round.  Team had no QB's after the Spurrier era.

Me too... And missing PAT attempts in TX Stadium....

Had no idea there were this many Redskins fans here. I've been with them through thick and thin since 1983.

bennyl08

Quote from: Murr on April 24, 2016, 09:32:50 pm

Jason Cambell was a solid qb for them with Portis at RB and Randle El at WR. That was a team that could certainly lose on any given sunday, but with those three, they were a true threat to any team in the NFL as well.