Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well guys

Started by AHiD, February 13, 2018, 10:45:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on February 20, 2018, 12:45:08 am
Show me where in college football Morris has had long term success....

Check out Clemson's record during Morris's tenure as OC there. Case Closed.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

mhuff

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 19, 2018, 09:01:14 pm
Totally on point. Agree or disagree, the one thing all of us have is only a limited time on this earth. Health, family, faith, freedom and all the other things many of us take for granted are priceless, but never free. May we treasure each and every moment God grants us.

Ā 

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: GuvHog on February 20, 2018, 06:38:18 am
Check out Clemson's record during Morris's tenure as OC there. Case Closed.

So 4 years as an offensive coordinator at an ACC school of Clemson is going to equal 10+ years of success as a head coach in the SEC at Arkansas?

Other than being the game of football I don't see how those two even compare.

The NewEra

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on February 20, 2018, 01:00:14 am
The negativity stems from the repetitive cycle that Arkansas has been in since joining the SEC: 5-6 years of bad followed by 1 year of almost getting to the top but failing to do so, then rinse and repeat. Couple that with the fact that I just don't think Morris can get it done based on what I have seen so far and taking into account his past.

The OP asked for an opinion. Then when people post an opinion that's different than what you want to hear (aka "negative") then this is the kind of return crap we get: ".....NOT TRUE FANS!!....KICK YOUR DOG!!........SNOWFLAKE!!......" and all the other BS you guys spew when someone disagrees with you. Its sad really.

Since you want to talk about how bad the life must be of someone that disagrees with you, I can refute that just fine. I love my life. I have a great life. I have a smoking hot, supportive wife and a good marriage. I have a great job and make good money. I have a supportive and loving family. I am very healthy. The only thing that sucks about my life (other than the Hogs over the past 8 years) is that Im in school for my Master's Degree. That sucks hardcore. Don't recommend it.

Anyways, I truly hope I am wrong about Morris and that he can get it done. But its okay that I don't believe it yet. A "prove me wrong" attitude doesn't mean we aren't true fans. I compare it to when a candidate you don't like (or hate) becomes President....you can hate him all you want, but you should want him to succeed. That's a no brainer. This is what has happened here. Morris wasn't our candidate of choice, so now he has his chance to prove all the naysayers wrong. But I don't believe he will. And that's okay

Please let us know when you are prepared to put the past behind you and support this coach and team moving forward.  You have an interesting way of showing you want him to succeed.

oldhawg

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on February 20, 2018, 09:09:20 am
So 4 years as an offensive coordinator at an ACC school of Clemson is going to equal 10+ years of success as a head coach in the SEC at Arkansas?

Other than being the game of football I don't see how those two even compare.

Hopefully Morris will be the "ten years of success in the SEC" that we all want.  Does not have to be Nick Saban type of success, but at least in the hunt every year.

Oh, and you should convince your hot wife to quit smoking ---- better for health and longevity.  :)

HognitiveDissonance

We don't know about any of them yet, but really the head coach is by far the most important. If he's good, the program will do well. If he's poor. it doesn't matter how good the assistants are. You can't overcome poor leadership at the very top; the head coach sets the tone for everything in the program.

Summary: I'm only worried about Chad Morris.

I think he'll do better than Bielema.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on February 20, 2018, 01:00:14 am
The negativity stems from the repetitive cycle that Arkansas has been in since joining the SEC: 5-6 years of bad followed by 1 year of almost getting to the top but failing to do so, then rinse and repeat. Couple that with the fact that I just don't think Morris can get it done based on what I have seen so far and taking into account his past.

The OP asked for an opinion. Then when people post an opinion that's different than what you want to hear (aka "negative") then this is the kind of return crap we get: ".....NOT TRUE FANS!!....KICK YOUR DOG!!........SNOWFLAKE!!......" and all the other BS you guys spew when someone disagrees with you. Its sad really.

Since you want to talk about how bad the life must be of someone that disagrees with you, I can refute that just fine. I love my life. I have a great life. I have a smoking hot, supportive wife and a good marriage. I have a great job and make good money. I have a supportive and loving family. I am very healthy. The only thing that sucks about my life (other than the Hogs over the past 8 years) is that Im in school for my Master's Degree. That sucks hardcore. Don't recommend it.

Anyways, I truly hope I am wrong about Morris and that he can get it done. But its okay that I don't believe it yet. A "prove me wrong" attitude doesn't mean we aren't true fans. I compare it to when a candidate you don't like (or hate) becomes President....you can hate him all you want, but you should want him to succeed. That's a no brainer. This is what has happened here. Morris wasn't our candidate of choice, so now he has his chance to prove all the naysayers wrong. But I don't believe he will. And that's okay
While I can fully understand and appreciate the cycle that we Hog fans have had to endure with our most recent HCs, I honestly have a very difficult time understanding the total lack of faith in the POTENTIAL of Morris to have a successful career on the Hill. As has been pointed out by many posters on here, the PAST record of a HC at another school guarantees nothing, either good or bad. Having said that, BEFORE this staff has coached one, single game some are ready to admit defeat and ASSUME he/they won't get the job done. Okay, he hasn't proven anything as yet-however, that goes for BOTH sides of the debate. Therefore, rather than automatically PRESUME that he won't/can't have success how about actually giving the guy the benefit of the doubt? I mean it costs you nothing except a little faith and trust. And lord knows, we've had far too little of that around here lately.

The NewEra

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 20, 2018, 09:52:08 am
While I can fully understand and appreciate the cycle that we Hog fans have had to endure with our most recent HCs, I honestly have a very difficult time understanding the total lack of faith in the POTENTIAL of Morris to have a successful career on the Hill. As has been pointed out by many posters on here, the PAST record of a HC at another school guarantees nothing, either good or bad. Having said that, BEFORE this staff has coached one, single game some are ready to admit defeat and ASSUME he/they won't get the job done. Okay, he hasn't proven anything as yet-however, that goes for BOTH sides of the debate. Therefore, rather than automatically PRESUME that he won't/can't have success how about actually giving the guy the benefit of the doubt? I mean it costs you nothing except a little faith and trust. And lord knows, we've had far too little of that around here lately.

If you continue with post like this I may individually get your smite count back to even.  +1 again!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The NewEra on February 20, 2018, 09:55:30 am
If you continue with post like this I may individually get your smite count back to even.  +1 again!
What ??? :o ::) And ruin my reputation ;) 8)

wildhogman

Other than being the game of football I don’t see how those two even compare.
Going by your logic. You and I both follow the razorbacks, watch the games, wear our Hog gear on game days.  Other then that what makes you a good fan of the hogs? You complain and bellyache every chance you get, you pooh pooh every positive aspect, you already "KNOW" the hogs have no shot at a playoff game and/or Championship.  As I did for another poster might I suggest you find another team to follow?  One worthy of your support.  There are several this year. Pick one and cry on their board if they don't win it all.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: wildhogman on February 20, 2018, 10:07:15 am
Going by your logic. You and I both follow the razorbacks, watch the games, wear our Hog gear on game days.  Other then that what makes you a good fan of the hogs? You complain and bellyache every chance you get, you pooh pooh every positive aspect, you already "KNOW" the hogs have no shot at a playoff game and/or Championship.  As I did for another poster might I suggest you find another team to follow?  One worthy of your support.  There are several this year. Pick one and cry on their board if they don't win it all.
Sometimes I get a strong suspicion that some "Hog fans" are actually that in name only. Yep, rather than actually give the benefit of the doubt concerning moves to hopefully improve the program, all they really want to do is bellyache and complain IF their guy isn't named as the head guy.

jabberjawls

Sometimes i get a strong suspicion that some "hog fans" will eat the crap they are fed and actually think they like it until after a couple of years they wake up and say "what's this crap i've been eating for the last few years??"

The NewEra

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 20, 2018, 02:19:50 pm
Sometimes i get a strong suspicion that some "hog fans" will eat the crap they are fed and actually think they like it until after a couple of years they wake up and say "what's this crap i've been eating for the last few years??"

Anyone interested in eating crap can just read your post.  You SIR are full of it and must be a professional manure spreader.  At that I suspect you are incredibly successful, since you are relentless. 

Ā 

liljo

So...are you suggesting that the new staff that has been hired are "the crap" some of us Hog fans are consuming? They've done nothing but work relentlessly to try to turn things around, and that's all ya got?

That's at best very shallow.  I'd rank that type of insult about as far up the chain as that of a 4th grader sticking his tongue out in the backseat of a passing car.

All the work put in; the hours of video study' the travel and long hours' the training camps and workouts--you see all that as no more than "the crap they're feeding us" but call yourself a fan? Wait, no, I don't see where you called yourself a fan, so at least THAT'S to your credit...

Wow.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

oldhawg

More considerations:

It's been forty years since Lou Holtz was hired.  In the time since Holtz, Arkansas has hired three coaches with stellar records prior to coming to Fayetteville.  Two flamed out as coaches, one flamed out because of character issues.

Danny Ford     96-29-4 before Arkansas
                      26-30-1 at Arkansas

Bobby Petrino   41-9 before Arkansas
                       34-17 at Arkansas
(Perhaps he would still be coach of the Razorbacks had his judgement in personal relationships been a little different?)

Bret Bielema     68-24 before Arkansas
                       29-34 at Arkansas

Success rate with established successful coaches has not been exactly fruitful for the Razorbacks.  This is one reason I am not opposed to fully supporting a coach who appears to be energetic, is connected to prime recruiting grounds in which he wants to make a strong Hog footprint, brings in an established defensive coordinator, has a reputation for developing innovative offenses, is a good communicator, has embraced the State of Arkansas as if it were his home state, is technologically informed and is not reluctant to use technology as it appeals to young players, appears to have set high standards for staff and players, hired a mostly young staff that seems to be excellent recruiters,  and is very positive in his outlook.

IMO such a person is worthy of giving a chance to succeed, as opposed to another "successful" coach that flames out at Arkansas as the last three successful have.

liljo

Quote from: oldhawg on February 20, 2018, 03:01:54 pm
More considerations:

It's been forty years since Lou Holtz was hired.  In the time since Holtz, Arkansas has hired three coaches with stellar records prior to coming to Fayetteville.  Two flamed out as coaches, one flamed out because of character issues.

Danny Ford     96-29-4 before Arkansas
                      26-30-1 at Arkansas

Bobby Petrino   41-9 before Arkansas
                       34-17 at Arkansas
(Perhaps he would still be coach of the Razorbacks had his judgement in personal relationships been a little different?)

Bret Bielema     68-24 before Arkansas
                       29-34 at Arkansas

Success rate with established successful coaches has not been exactly fruitful for the Razorbacks.  This is one reason I am not opposed to fully supporting a coach who appears to be energetic, is connected to prime recruiting grounds in which he wants to make a strong Hog footprint, brings in an established defensive coordinator, has a reputation for developing innovative offenses, is a good communicator, has embraced the State of Arkansas as if it were his home state, is technologically informed and is not reluctant to use technology as it appeals to young players, appears to have set high standards for staff and players, hired a mostly young staff that seems to be excellent recruiters,  and is very positive in his outlook.

IMO such a person is worthy of giving a chance to succeed, as opposed to another "successful" coach that flames out at Arkansas as the last three successful have.

Good point. I would add that Coach Morris, due to his small sample size as head coach, has taken great risk in accepting the Arkansas job. If he fails here, it could really hurt his career moving forward. But if he wins here, he can write his own ticket to the first Norte Dame/Southern Cal/Texas/etc. opening that comes around.

I not only want him to succeed, I also want him to fall in love with Arkansas. I want it to be tough for him to let go of. Sure wish people would be positive and give him an honest chance. There are some extremely insulting people on Hogville, y'all. I shudder to think what the parents of some highly rated recruit might read here.

Sure wish there was more Wooo Pig Soueee. Don't get me wrong, there's a bunch. And I'm sure other teams have boards full of negative fans, too.  But that's where Arkansas has a chance to be different.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: The NewEra on February 20, 2018, 09:19:11 am
Please let us know when you are prepared to put the past behind you and support this coach and team moving forward.  You have an interesting way of showing you want him to succeed.

That's right...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

mevskithog

I'm generally a negative person most of the time... Just ask my wife.. But, for some reason, I am
optimistic about CCM and staff being able to, at very least, make us competitive in most games. I feel
like, at this point, that is all we can really ask for. It's weird, even when going against Bama, right
before game time I always find myself thinking we have a shot to win. Even when I know better.
So, I will be cautiously optimistic.

Vantage 8 dude

Well I certainly don't know about "eating crap" (as I most certainly don't indulge personally) as you so delicately put it; however, I know some who love to SPEW it. For instance, one being the very person to whom I'm addressing this comment. You know: "Mr. Truth and Justice".

jabberjawls

Quote from: liljo on February 20, 2018, 02:55:50 pm
So...are you suggesting that the new staff that has been hired are "the crap" some of us Hog fans are consuming? They've done nothing but work relentlessly to try to turn things around, and that's all ya got?

That's at best very shallow.  I'd rank that type of insult about as far up the chain as that of a 4th grader sticking his tongue out in the backseat of a passing car.

All the work put in; the hours of video study' the travel and long hours' the training camps and workouts--you see all that as no more than "the crap they're feeding us" but call yourself a fan? Wait, no, I don't see where you called yourself a fan, so at least THAT'S to your credit...

Wow.
If you look at his history, it sure isn't file mignon.  I like his energy and i hope he does well.  I just get tired of people preaching how great he is when his past doesn't suggest it. We'll see how it tastes in a couple of years.

GuvHog

Other than being the game of football I don’t see how those two even compare.

Who said anything about 10 years?? Right now I'd be pleased with 5 years.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: liljo on February 20, 2018, 02:55:50 pm

Wow.
Wow, so you're accusing ole jabberjawls of being "shallow"? I mean with all those hard hitting no nonsense, and of course TOTALLY unbiased predictions and observations he's shared with all of us? You mean the fact that he's never let a good rant get in the way of actually sitting down and examining the issues OBJECTIVELY? You mean the same guy that's been pouting and throwing a fit ever since CMM was named the HC over his two "sweet treat" candidates Norvell and Kiffin? The same guy who despite all his claims to the contrary ISN'T the only guy who actually checks out FACTS on the internet when it comes to questions/issues surrounding this hire. And last, but by NO means the least, the guy who when challenged and given the facts automatically resorts to a little kid-like tantrum screaming things like "You're just a liar" and "You're just like a politician" line of mature debate/interaction. I've honestly been waiting for him to break out in a screaming fit, kicking, flailing his arms and yelling "Liar, liar, pants on fire". Yep, that should really complete his full repertoire.

PolishPigPower

Positives:  determined work ethic, positively changing the locker room, not afraid to go after big recruits, assembled a coaching staff that makes a lot of sense, sending positive messages to the fan base, knows his offense and his team based on videos, coaching staff making in-roads to high schools that have talent, spring game moving to LR, open-minded to anthracite and Coke, and not belittling the previous staff

Negatives:  the recruiting class still ranked very low and haven't played a game yet

CCM and staff have done as good a job as they could to win the fanbase, but this year's recruiting class might come back to bite us.  That's to be expected in a turnover year when you're changing the style of play and players.  I'm quite optimistic about the future, but not expecting a natty in the next 2-3 years, either.
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 20, 2018, 04:22:08 pm
If you look at his history, it sure isn't file mignon.  I like his energy and i hope he does well.  I just get tired of people preaching how great he is when his past doesn't suggest it. We'll see how it tastes in a couple of years.
Yes, we will indeed see how it "tastes", in your indelicate way of wording, over the next few years. What I find laughable is that despite your "I hope he does well" all we hear from you is nothing but negatively and lambasting others who actually DON'T know for sure, and guess what-that's ALL of us, Alice; however, they're ACTUALLY WILLING TO SEE HOW HE DOES BEFORE FORMING JUDGEMENTS AND CONCLUSIONS. You know: actually using OBJECTIVITY WITHOUT PREJUDICE before proclaiming what type of HC at Arkansas he will turn out to be. Read the last couple sentences very, very slowly-you can even say them out loud and mumble-if it helps your comprehension.

Ā 

PolishPigPower

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 20, 2018, 04:38:32 pm
Yes, we will indeed see how it "tastes", in your indelicate way of wording, over the next few years. What I find laughable is that despite your "I hope he does well" all we hear from you is nothing but negatively and lambasting others who actually DON'T know for sure, and guess what-that's ALL of us, Alice; however, they're ACTUALLY WILLING TO SEE HOW HE DOES BEFORE FORMING JUDGEMENTS AND CONCLUSIONS. You know: actually using OBJECTIVITY WITHOUT PREJUDICE before proclaiming what type of HC at Arkansas he will turn out to be. Read the last couple sentences very, very slowly-you can even say them out loud and mumble-if it helps your comprehension.

Rumble behind the Sonic in Alma.  Friday at 6pm.  Y'all all be there!   ;D ;)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PolishPigPower on February 20, 2018, 04:47:07 pm
Nah, I never duel with an unarmed man, either intellectually or otherwise. ;)

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

So positivity in others that you feel is unwarranted makes you angry, but you do hope that he does well. Although you hope he does well you state that he won't, but the only evidence you can bring forth is his record at SMU, which did improve every year. The improvement was not enough for you because June Jones did better(in your opinion), but you don't agree that June Jones didn't recruit or coach well in his final two seasons.

If June Jones did so well Why did they go winless in his last season and why did he walk out before the end of that season?

The difference between SMU and Arkansas is recruiting. CBB left some pretty good players on the hill. They were pretty out of shape by all standards last season. They were pretty disorganized and easily shaken last season. CCM is in the middle of installing a system that HAS WORKED at Arkansas in the past and Produced a two time Heisman runner up, but even though the offense is similar it does not take a mobile QB, and Morris is known to be innovative and an excellent teacher who can install his system rapidly and completely. You also give no credit for Clemson's success to CCM, but just before he arrived Swinney was on the hottest of hot seats. The arrival of CCM turned that program around in THE FIRST year. He also stated that Arkansas reminds him so much of Clemson when they got there.

If this isn't enough for you to be excited that's fine, but for you to be enough of a total tool to piss on everyone else's enthusiasm is ridiculous, and if we were all in the same room something tells me you would have shut your mouth a long, long time ago. Why you chose to be a jerk is beyond me, but I believe you're drunk because not too many people are that much of an a-hole without aid...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

MuskogeeHogFan

You are right, there isn't anything to indicate that Morris is going to be the next great coach at Arkansas. He is an offensive innovator, kinda like Petrino.

The year before Morris arrived at Clemson they averaged 139 yds rushing and 196 passing for 335 yds per game.

The next 4 years that he was the OC they averaged 168 rushing and about 300 passing for 468 yds p/game. That was a pretty good improvement with a team that is included in the P-5.

I'm not saying that he will be able to do that at Arkansas, we will see. The quality of the defense that we field will have a lot to say about how we do as a team. We will be more of a pressure-style of defense, of that I am pretty certain. QB's will be forced to make decisions earlier/quicker and then it will be up to our Secondary as to what they can make of those opportunities.

I feel good about the offense. I think the OL will be improved for several reasons, mostly due to better blocking angles being provided by all of the pre-snap movement. We have good RB's and who each present their own threat by virtue of their style of play. We have hard, inside runners and those who have the speed and quickness to take advantage of "creases" as well as holes and those who can use their speed to take advantage of backside runs.

We have receivers out the "wazoo" and some with enough speed and size to present a downfield threat and who possess the quickness underneath to make more yards after catch.

Do we have the QB that we need? We will see. We certainly have a guy who can stand in the pocket, take a hit and still deliver the ball downfield with a strong arm and pick up 2-3 yards running when needed, most of the time. Do we have anyone who can present enough of a running threat as to add another dimension to the offense that could give opposing defenses greater pause in defending us? Time will tell.

It isn't all bad and it isn't all good. Morris has to mold this team into his concept and it isn't a team that he has recruited. If he can find a way to win 9 next year he probably deserves at least a nomination for COY honors. I think winning 7 or 8 next year isn't beyond reality. 9 or more and we will have found a great coach.

We will see. I choose to be optimistic, but that's just me. I'll be happy if we can go bowling in his first year.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: PolishPigPower on February 20, 2018, 04:47:07 pm

Video it for me.

hoghearted

I was really rooting for the guy from Memphis, but seeing CM's energy and hard work makes me optimistic. Who know what the future holds, but for now I choose to hope believe we made a good choice in Morris.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: The NewEra on February 20, 2018, 09:19:11 am
You have an interesting way of showing you want him to succeed.

How? By saying Im skeptical? Okay bud

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: oldhawg on February 20, 2018, 09:25:55 am

Hopefully Morris will be the "ten years of success in the SEC" that we all want.  Does not have to be Nick Saban type of success, but at least in the hunt every year.

Oh, and you should convince your hot wife to quit smoking ---- better for health and longevity.  :)

LOL Point made. Ill let her know

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: wildhogman on February 20, 2018, 10:07:15 am

And there it is folks....point made. "You don't think like me, so how bout you git outta her and cheer for Bama!"

Its kind of surreal that some of you cant handle criticism or an alternate point of view. Same ole same ole "If you don't agree with me then leave" attitude.

And it doesn't matter what the point of view is. When 90% of you were wanting to spill Bielema's blood in the North endzone, any of the 10% that said "Hang on a minute" for any reason got the same treatment.

Welcome to Hogville, where you will be told what to think and you will agree or else.

Al Boarland

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on February 20, 2018, 11:23:58 pm
And there it is folks....point made. "You don't think like me, so how bout you git outta her and cheer for Bama!"

Its kind of surreal that some of you cant handle criticism or an alternate point of view. Same ole same ole "If you don't agree with me then leave" attitude.

And it doesn't matter what the point of view is. When 90% of you were wanting to spill Bielema's blood in the North endzone, any of the 10% that said "Hang on a minute" for any reason got the same treatment.

Welcome to Hogville, where you will be told what to think and you will agree or else.

It's been my experience on this board that the minority opinion is usually the right one.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 21, 2018, 04:50:20 am
It's been my experience on this board that the minority opinion is usually the right one.
Funny... I find that all pessimistic people say that, because eventually the wheels fall off of everything. There were people who came out of the woodwork with "I told you so's"after Bobby Petrino derailed his life.

Remember too that Morris was not the popular choice until people got to hear and see him in detail. So by your logic he will succeed quickly and then fail...

sowmonella

Do they serve file mignon at the Alma Sonic?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

wildhogman

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on February 20, 2018, 11:23:58 pm

Actually, the more I read you and your boyfriend AlBoredlines, The more you both remind of typical overly arrogant fans. Ya know, the type who cheer for teams like bama, Aubarn, OU. Or the worst of them, Texas.  I wonder which team you watch come Saturday since well, ya know, the hogs will never win, never get trophies, never amount to anything.
OMGOMG. I figured it out just now, a light of inspiration.  Your vince palale's ex wife.  You remember? She left him that lovely note he carried with him all through the movie.  Yup, that must be one of you

GuvHog

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on February 20, 2018, 11:11:06 pm
How? By saying Im skeptical? Okay bud

"Cautiously Optimistic" sounds better.

PolishPigPower

Quote from: LZH on February 20, 2018, 07:54:44 pm
Video it for me.

As long as no one turns me into the Clarksville po-po...

PolishPigPower

Quote from: sowmonella on February 21, 2018, 07:58:01 am
Do they serve file mignon at the Alma Sonic?

They do.  A little gritty, but it smooths off the edges nicely.  Also doubles as a place to put your papers.  Quite handy for the price.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: GuvHog on February 21, 2018, 08:28:24 am
"Cautiously Optimistic" sounds better.

That's definitely fair. But I'm really not optimistic at all. This is the first time in a long time I'm not excited about Arkansas football. I wasn't much excited last year either tho bc I thought we were in trouble. But by the team season rolled around I was pumped. Maybe I will be again come September. Hopefully it doesn't take long to get the bug again

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: wildhogman on February 21, 2018, 08:02:45 am
Actually, the more I read you and your boyfriend AlBoredlines, The more you both remind of typical overly arrogant fans. Ya know, the type who cheer for teams like bama, Aubarn, OU. Or the worst of them, Texas.  I wonder which team you watch come Saturday since well, ya know, the hogs will never win, never get trophies, never amount to anything.
OMGOMG. I figured it out just now, a light of inspiration.  Your vince palale's ex wife.  You remember? She left him that lovely note he carried with him all through the movie.  Yup, that must be one of you

Do you care to actually explain this post? Are you just calling those of us arrogant because we dislike the coaching choice? Seems like you could've said that in many less words. I'm sorry if my skepticism somehow upsets you.

GuvHog

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on February 21, 2018, 09:01:06 am
That’s definitely fair. But I’m really not optimistic at all. This is the first time in a long time I’m not excited about Arkansas football. I wasn’t much excited last year either tho bc I thought we were in trouble. But by the team season rolled around I was pumped. Maybe I will be again come September. Hopefully it doesn’t take long to get the bug again

To be honest, Chad Morris wasn't my #1 pick for the job and I didn't like the hire at all when it was announced (I was a strong Norvell guy), but after listening to Morris speak at the Presser and in interviews, listening to him talk to the players, and after seeing who he hired on his staff, I've mellowed a bit and decided to give him the benefit of a doubt. I like what I see thus far.

oldhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on February 21, 2018, 12:44:11 pm
To be honest, Chad Morris wasn't my #1 pick for the job and I didn't like the hire at all when it was announced (I was a strong Norvell guy), but after listening to Morris speak at the Presser and in interviews, listening to him talk to the players, and after seeing who he hired on his staff, I've mellowed a bit and decided to give him the benefit of a doubt. I like what I see thus far.

For all the reasons you mentioned and more, its hard not to throw your support behind the guy.

During the Frank Broyles's era I always used the early game with Tulsa as a predictor for how the season would go ---- not necessarily whether the Razorbacks won or lost, but just how they played.   IMO this year the Colorado State game will be a good barometer to build expectations on. 

Michael D Huff AIA

Chad Morris wasn't necessarily the first choice for our head coach that I would have liked so have seen.

But he's our guy.

He also plays a style of ball that will be exciting to watch.  When we were last on top of our game as a program, we played a faster, more open style of ball.  It worked for us then, and we won a lot of games. 

It seems as though he has a knack for recruiting, too.  All it will take is one breakout season plus his (and his staff's) recruiting ability to get a better type of player to NWA.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on February 14, 2018, 02:07:37 pm
Some facts and some opinions.  Several favorable things, some that do not matter, one or two that are probably problematic for Razorback fans.

Only have knowledge of 4 members of the coaching staff: Morris, Traylor, Caldwell, and Lunney, all favorable.  Good coaches and recruiters.

Morris and Traylor have long high school head coaching experience in central and east Texas.

Both won multiple state championships.

Caldwell has lots of experience recruiting east Texas.

Morris is ambitious, bears remembering.  Never coached anywhere longer than four years.

He is well organized, by all accounts.

Seems to always be in a hurry.

He pushes.  Players, coaches and himself.

He has a long record of success as high school head coach.

Opinions: 

I think many will be disappointed in Morris' probable inability to sign elite players out of Texas.  He will get some but not in the number that most of us wish for.  There are many good Texas high school players that are overlooked and/or need development, he will just have to get what fits his system.  And I think he will.

Never-the-less, I think by the third or fourth year Morris will have Razorback fans actually enjoying football Saturdays, again.  Going to the stadium (or watching on TV) every week believing we have a good chance to win.

Now the not-so-good, his history and the ambitious part.  If Morris leads the Razorback to ten wins by year four, beware of Ides (figure of speech) of December, 2021.  Particularly, if Clemson, any top tier SEC program, or A&M, Baylor, or TCU have a vacancy at the top.

I'd rather have a head coach that people really want in 2-4 years (and Arkansas keeps him with good salary, etc.) and is in the discussion when big openings pop up, rather than a coach that nobody wants in year 4-5.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 21, 2018, 01:31:40 pm
I'd rather have a head coach that people really want in 2-4 years (and Arkansas keeps him with good salary, etc.) and is in the discussion when big openings pop up, rather than a coach that nobody wants in year 4-5.

It's pretty telling that Bielema is still sitting at home.  He probably won't coach again given the fat stacks of cash that he's sitting on right now.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on February 21, 2018, 01:55:48 pm
It's pretty telling that Bielema is still sitting at home.  He probably won't coach again given the fat stacks of cash that he's sitting on right now.
We could be wrong but I said before Bielema was fired, right after Long was fired, that Bielema would not coach again after he is fired at Arkansas. By that, I meant he would never again be a head coach at any P5 program that has even a modicum of tradition. Would a place like Kansas take a flyer on him? Sure. But Bielema will never even get an interview at a place like Wisconsin or Arkansas again. Total disaster/dumpster fire at Arkansas for half a decade. I said same about Nutt after his tenure at Ole Miss and we see what Nutt has done...sat on his $10 million in buyout funds and done some TV.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

oldhawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 21, 2018, 02:11:46 pm
We could be wrong but I said before Bielema was fired, right after Long was fired, that Bielema would not coach again after he is fired at Arkansas. By that, I meant he would never again be a head coach at any P5 program that has even a modicum of tradition. Would a place like Kansas take a flyer on him? Sure. But Bielema will never even get an interview at a place like Wisconsin or Arkansas again. Total disaster/dumpster fire at Arkansas for half a decade. I said same about Nutt after his tenure at Ole Miss and we see what Nutt has done...sat on his $10 million in buyout funds and done some TV.

Would not surprise me if Nutt is a little envious that he got only five million out of Arkansas compared to Bielema's twelve million.  The golden goose has certainly been generous with those two.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: PolishPigPower on February 20, 2018, 04:37:16 pm
Positives:  determined work ethic, positively changing the locker room, not afraid to go after big recruits, assembled a coaching staff that makes a lot of sense, sending positive messages to the fan base, knows his offense and his team based on videos, coaching staff making in-roads to high schools that have talent, spring game moving to LR, open-minded to anthracite and Coke, and not belittling the previous staff

Negatives:  the recruiting class still ranked very low and haven't played a game yet

CCM and staff have done as good a job as they could to win the fanbase, but this year's recruiting class might come back to bite us.  That's to be expected in a turnover year when you're changing the style of play and players.  I'm quite optimistic about the future, but not expecting a natty in the next 2-3 years, either.
I see your point, but I cannot help but elude to the fact that NO ONE at Arkansas has recruited the defensive side of the ball as well as this guy did in Year 1... Not ever, in the albeit short history of recruiting rankings and such, has anyone ever come in and addressed team deficiencies right out of the box like CCM has done.
Even the questionable position changes appear to be well thought out. For instance, the player (who's name escapes me) being moved from WR to RB was done because the staff is expecting injuries due to the hard contact that will be taking place in practice! These guys are gonna practice with an urgency, prepare with an urgency and perform with an urgency..!
There has only been 1 coach in recent memory who planned out every second of practice this way and that was CBP. So if you combine the motivation of HDN, the attention to detail of CBB and add in the defensive prowess of The Chief, who by all evidence has full control of the defense and CCM's ear on preparation, you have not only won me over, but most people see the difference right away..!
I think this class will be looked upon as the most solid of stepping stones to the classes of the future...