Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Projecting our finish this season

Started by WizardofhOgZ, January 26, 2015, 12:54:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

My projection is done using the "expected value' method, which I've used many times over the years to very good results.  I'd call our "real world" (i.e., not "homer") chances of winning each of the remaining games this way:

Tennessee              75%
@Florida                 40%
South Carolina         70%
Mississippi St           75%
@Auburn                 50%
@ Ole Miss              30%
Missouri                  65%
@Mississippi St         45%
Texas A&M              70%
@#1 Kentucky          25%
@South Carolina       40%
LSU                        60%

TOTAL                    6.45 wins

So, I see us going 6-6 or 7-5 in our remaining conference games, which means we will wither finish at 21-10 (10-8), or 22-9 (11-7).  However, since I don't think we'll lose more than 1 of our remaining home games (if we lose any), I'm going to go for the higher win total (22-9) as my season prediction.  Of course, this does not count the SEC tournament.

All Bleed Red

I'm predicting a finish of 23-8, which would probably put us in tourney at a 6-9 seed.  The SEC tourney can also have an impact on seeding.  Hopefully it plays out great.  This team is really hard to predict!   :razorback: :razorback:

Hawg Red

I had us 24-7 and we're one game off where I projected us to be thus far. I had us losing to SMU but beating Clemson, so those two canceled out. I had beating Ole Miss but they've done what I thought they would do in the other SEC games. Excellent opportunity to get back on track (for me, anyway) Saturday at Florida. I had us losing that one, but it looks very winnable right now.

As of right now, I'm hopeful that we can hold to what I predict, but I don't think it's going to happen if we play the way we have over the last 4 games. It's just not good enough. We could easily be on a 4-game losing streak. The good news is that I've seen them play better than this against good teams this season, so they could very well snap out of it, but as it is now, they're just barely getting by.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 26, 2015, 12:54:01 pm
My projection is done using the "expected value' method, which I've used many times over the years to very good results.  I'd call our "real world" (i.e., not "homer") chances of winning each of the remaining games this way:

Tennessee              75%
@Florida                 40%
South Carolina         70%
Mississippi St           75%
@Auburn                 50%
@ Ole Miss              30%
Missouri                  65%
@Mississippi St         45%
Texas A&M              70%
@#1 Kentucky          25%
@South Carolina       40%
LSU                        60%

TOTAL                    6.45 wins

So, I see us going 6-6 or 7-5 in our remaining conference games, which means we will wither finish at 21-10 (10-8), or 22-9 (11-7).  However, since I don't think we'll lose more than 1 of our remaining home games (if we lose any), I'm going to go for the higher win total (22-9) as my season prediction.  Of course, this does not count the SEC tournament.

If they go 10-8 in the sec, they will need AT LEAST 1 sect win to get a ncaat bid.  11-7 and they are right on the bubble. 10-6 I think they are in no matter what happens in the sect.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 26, 2015, 02:02:58 pm
If they go 10-8 in the sec, they will need AT LEAST 1 sect win to get a ncaat bid.  11-7 and they are right on the bubble. 10-6 I think they are in no matter what happens in the sect.

Indeed Hogsanity. I'm going to say Arkansas will be a bubble team.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

11 sec wins and we are in. The SEC currently has 7 top 50 rpi teams, plus UT at #55. People can complain about the league all they want, but the rpi of the league is actually as good as any other conference. Not many leagues can claim 7 top 50 rpi teams.

I think we finish 23-8 or 22-9, but either would be enough to get in.

HSVhogfan2

I think this team is absolutely impossible to handicap. They are, IMO, a bit fragile mentally, with still some drama in the locker room. I could see them going 10-2 with only losses being Florida and KY on the road. I can also see 6-6. If I was going to throw a dart in the dark, I would say 8-4 for 23 wins and a 7-8 seed.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

jry04

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 26, 2015, 04:13:01 pm
I think this team is absolutely impossible to handicap. They are, IMO, a bit fragile mentally, with still some drama in the locker room. I could see them going 10-2 with only losses being Florida and KY on the road. I can also see 6-6. If I was going to throw a dart in the dark, I would say 8-4 for 23 wins and a 7-8 seed.
So they won 2 nail biters, but they are fragile...

And what problems in the locker room?

mhuff

24 wins counting tournament. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 26, 2015, 12:54:01 pm
I see us going 6-6 or 7-5 in our remaining conference games, which means we will wither finish at 21-10 (10-8), or 22-9 (11-7). 

I'm there, too.  But unless they play better at home, there could be a slight adjustment.

I'm guessing this 2nd nail biter may have changed things for the better...  (hoping...)

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: jry04 on January 26, 2015, 04:15:50 pm
So they won 2 nail biters, but they are fragile...

And what problems in the locker room?

Not blasting the team, and you can look at my posts and see I am a big MA booster, but you do realize one of the nail biters involved Ole Miss choking 2 free throws?

The other problem was discussed in another thread on Jump Ball.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

HF#1

If we only win 6 more games then Mike will have a problem.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Danny J

Quote from: jry04 on January 26, 2015, 04:01:27 pm
11 sec wins and we are in. The SEC currently has 7 top 50 rpi teams, plus UT at #55. People can complain about the league all they want, but the rpi of the league is actually as good as any other conference. Not many leagues can claim 7 top 50 rpi teams.

Danny J

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 26, 2015, 04:25:13 pm
Not blasting the team, and you can look at my posts and see I am a big MA booster, but you do realize one of the nail biters involved Ole Miss choking 2 free throws?

The other problem was discussed in another thread on Jump Ball.
I think you mean Mizzou but remember that we missed 2 FT's also at around the 5 minute mark by a guy who shoots better at the line than did Clark from Mizzou.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Danny J on January 26, 2015, 04:50:54 pm
I think you mean Mizzou but remember that we missed 2 FT's also at around the 5 minute mark by a guy who shoots better at the line than did Clark from Mizzou.

Yes. Thanks

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Breems

Should be 80% for Missouri and -750% @Ole Miss.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

popcornhog

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Breems on January 26, 2015, 05:56:53 pm
Should be 80% for Missouri and -750% @Ole Miss.

We couldn't even win at Ole Miss in the mid 1990s. We are forever cursed at the Tad Pad.
WPS

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: jry04 on January 26, 2015, 04:01:27 pm

I've been trying to tout the Sec the last couple months. No one will listen. The perceived bias has not held up this year, rpi game was played far better, unfortunately, we've had some teams stumbling in conference drastically lowering rpi's (see SC dropping from 60's to 116 currently). That's a game I really worry about @SC. They have the potential to be a bad loss, if they don't get their stink together. Always worry about a bruce pearl squad, and playing at nasty ass miss st.

I project 3 losses, @fl, @ol miss, @uk. All home games should be won, we match up well. Can't lose to sub 100 rpi teams. 25-7, win a couple in the sect and we could still get as high as a 4 seed. Go to the title game against UK, win one of those three I marked as losses, and there is the potential still for a 3 seed. We control our own destiny moreso than any team in the sec not named UK. A strong finish and sect showing, possibly even stealing one from UK could get us as a 3 seed without question. We have great wins and currently no "bad losses."

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: popcornhog on January 26, 2015, 06:00:54 pm
6-0 at home
3-3 on the road

I think everyone would take that in a heartbeat.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

popcornhog

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 26, 2015, 07:31:49 pm

I agree. And it would put us where I and many others predicted pre-season.

Still very doable.
WPS

Rawker

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 26, 2015, 07:31:49 pm

I definitely would. But @SC is also a loss. I feel about them the same way I do Ole Miss.  The Hogs win that one, it won't be a "shoulda won that anyway"....it will be a fantastic win.

greghog

ifghog

Quote from: popcornhog on January 26, 2015, 06:00:54 pm
6-0 at home
3-3 on the road
I love your optimism but I think we go 2-4 on rd at best.

WMHawgfan

Its not just the final conf record, its who we beat and who we lose to. We can go 11-7 but if we lose to MSU and AU that will hurt our chances greatly. I know I am being captain obvious but we can't have losses to the bottom of the league and expect to make it in. Take care of business men!

Adam Stokes

I predicted 8-1 at home and 4-5 on the road.  Think that is still pretty accurate.  May finish 7-2 & 5-4, but still think 12-6 is reasonable and will get us a 7 seed.  11-7 will likely get us around a 9 seed.  10-8 and we need some SEC tourney help.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: popcornhog on January 26, 2015, 06:01:40 pm
We couldn't even win at Ole Miss in the mid 1990s. We are forever cursed at the Tad Pad.
It's not just ole miss. We have terrible records at a lot of schools in the SEC. One of you stat guys please look this up : how many places do we have a winning record at since we joined the conference
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

jackflash

The way we play some games. I just take them one game at a time. I just can't tell which team is going to show up.

Mick Hogger

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 27, 2015, 03:25:38 pm
It's not just ole miss. We have terrible records at a lot of schools in the SEC. One of you stat guys please look this up : how many places do we have a winning record at since we joined the conference

Without even looking my first guess is none.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.