Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Name: 4-Star 6'8" JUCO PF Kimani Jackson

Started by The_Iceman, January 15, 2015, 08:28:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

booogaga

His numbers are not all that  impressive.
GO HOGS!

Hogimus Prime

I wonder if he is a backup plan up if Kapita doesn't sign with the Hogs or if MA wants two forwards if Portis leaves.

navyhog24

The juco reach for this class ala Jabril Durham

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 15, 2015, 08:32:03 am
I wonder if he is a backup plan up if Kapita doesn't sign with the Hogs or if MA wants two forwards if Portis leaves.
All I know is:

Brad Winton @JucoRecruiting
"Arkansas and Tennessee will be tomorrow to see Kimani Jackson (6'8/F/2015) of New Mexico JC."

The_Iceman

Quote from: booogaga on January 15, 2015, 08:31:44 am
His numbers are not all that  impressive.

Keep in mind that in JUCO, guards jack up most of the shots. Looking at the game by game box scores, it looks like if he gets his opportunities, he usually does well with them.

The_Iceman

Quote from: navyhog24 on January 15, 2015, 08:35:20 am
The juco reach for this class ala Jabril Durham

Could be, but I don't think Durham is really a reach. Like Coty Clarke and many JUCO's before him, it takes a while for these guys to adjust to the D-1 level.

Remember the two 4-star JUCO kids we missed out on last year? Check out how they are doing:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3134885/willie-atwood
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3136487/trey-dickerson

Durham's 2.3 asts per game is better than the numbers those two are producing.

onebadrubi

I think the elephant in the room that is not being stressed is if Portis goes pro Mike has to find someone of quality to play inside!  I like Moses a lot, but for whatever reason Mike apparently is having issues playing Moses

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 15, 2015, 08:39:20 am
Could be, but I don't think Durham is really a reach. Like Coty Clarke and many JUCO's before him, it takes a while for these guys to adjust to the D-1 level.

Remember the two 4-star JUCO kids we missed out on last year? Check out how they are doing:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3136487/trey-dickerson

I would be surprised if Durham panned out anything like Coty Clarke or senior Delvon Johnson. And I seem to remember Clarke playing pretty well as a junior. He definitely got better as a senior, but that's generally true of most players, prep or otherwise. Durham isn't horrible but I think every other guard on the team now should be playing over him.

Hawg Red

It's nice to finally hear another name, but I hope that doesn't mean things have soured  with Kapita. Could very well be that they want to bring on two forwards but it's worth thinking about.

Swinesong1

Apparently he will have three years to play.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 15, 2015, 09:03:34 am

That's some interesting info. Hope we can find out the scoop on his high school career.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 15, 2015, 08:52:39 am
I would be surprised if Durham panned out anything like Coty Clarke or senior Delvon Johnson. And I seem to remember Clarke playing pretty well as a junior. He definitely got better as a senior, but that's generally true of most players, prep or otherwise. Durham isn't horrible but I think every other guard on the team now should be playing over him.

Durham would be a good one to move on to make space if needed for Allen.

poloprince

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 15, 2015, 08:39:20 am

Good info
$PoLoPrInCe$

Swinesong1

January 15, 2015, 09:15:41 am #14 Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:28:41 am by Swinesong1
Quote from: Hawg Red on January 15, 2015, 09:06:08 am
That's some interesting info. Hope we can find out the scoop on his high school career.
Averaged around 11 pts and 9 rbs on a team that had at least 5 players sign a college scholarship.  Signed with Louisiana Lafayette out of high school.

poloprince

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 15, 2015, 09:06:38 am

Durham needs a little bit more time. He can pass, but he needs to play with more aggression offensively and make shots.
$PoLoPrInCe$

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 15, 2015, 09:06:38 am

You don't just throw out a senior. Unless he can graduate transfer or goes to a D-2 school for more PT, I don't think Durham is going anywhere.

The only thing wrong with Durham right now is his decision making. That's an indication that the game is moving a little fast for him right now. With experience, that will correct itself, especially since he is a smart kid. He is never going to be a major scoring threat, but he can be a solid distributor for us to backup Beard.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 15, 2015, 09:03:34 am

That makes him more valuable as a JUCO, like Trey Dickerson last year.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 15, 2015, 08:52:39 am
Delvon was one of the worst players I have seen at the U of A as a junior.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on January 15, 2015, 09:28:41 am

Yes, he was. Rocks for hands. Generally don't see transformations like that, though.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jry04 on January 15, 2015, 09:28:41 am

And then one of the best seniors we have ever had at Center.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 15, 2015, 09:24:14 am
You don't just throw out a senior. Unless he can graduate transfer or goes to a D-2 school for more PT, I don't think Durham is going anywhere.

The only thing wrong with Durham right now is his decision making. That's an indication that the game is moving a little fast for him right now. With experience, that will correct itself, especially since he is a smart kid. He is never going to be a major scoring threat, but he can be a solid distributor for us to backup Beard.

I agree he is solid an wish MA would bring Durham off the bench.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 15, 2015, 09:31:04 am
one of the best improvements I have seen from one year to the next. He looked like a toddler with a basketball as a junior. As a senior, I remember games when he looked unstoppable.

Hogimus Prime

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 15, 2015, 09:31:04 am

Johnson was a solid rebounder his sr year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 15, 2015, 09:35:04 am
Johnson was a solid rebounder his sr year.

I'd take 10 ppg, 7 rebs, and 3 blks per game on 55% shooting from my Center anyday!

The_Iceman

Kimani is not plan A for sure for this staff. But they need to be prepared just in case they miss out on their top choices. His game reminds me a lot of Keaton Miles when comparing his tape to someone. I'd expect Miles to step up next year and play much better if Portis moves on, he's just stuck behind too many solid players.

latrops

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 15, 2015, 08:32:03 am

I figure we have to have two forward/center types assuming Portis leaves.  We are also losing Harris, who is a tweener PF/SF.  Kingsley is a nice player...but if we don't replenish the frontcourt a bit, having only Kingsley will be somewhat similar to when we had only Mickelson.  Thompson can get some minutes, but I don't expect him to play a big role next year.  Hopefully he develops a great deal and is a pleasant surprise...but it is very risky to count on that.  Prior to signing anyone, we figure to have the very offensively limited Kingsley and Williams as our starting big men next year.  We need a couple more guys just to have some options.

latrops

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 15, 2015, 09:45:01 am
Kimani is not plan A for sure for this staff. But they need to be prepared just in case they miss out on their top choices. His game reminds me a lot of Keaton Miles when comparing his tape to someone. I'd expect Miles to step up next year and play much better if Portis moves on, he's just stuck behind too many solid players.

Forgot about Keaton Miles.  I understand he has been battling an injury.  Not sure whether he will be much help next year.  Tough to project with him since he just hasn't played.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: latrops on January 15, 2015, 09:51:27 am
I figure we have to have two forward/center types assuming Portis leaves.  We are also losing Harris, who is a tweener PF/SF.  Kingsley is a nice player...but if we don't replenish the frontcourt a bit, having only Kingsley will be somewhat similar to when we had only Mickelson.  Thompson can get some minutes, but I don't expect him to play a big role next year.  Hopefully he develops a great deal and is a pleasant surprise...but it is very risky to count on that.  Prior to signing anyone, we figure to have the very offensively limited Kingsley and Williams as our starting big men next year.  We need a couple more guys just to have some options.

It'd great to pick up another couple 6'9" 4/5 types that can  be interchanged.  Kingsley can man the middle, Thompson a wide body to clog up the middle when Kingsley is out and Williams to stretch the floor.

The_Iceman

Quote from: latrops on January 15, 2015, 09:59:09 am
Forgot about Keaton Miles.  I understand he has been battling an injury.  Not sure whether he will be much help next year.  Tough to project with him since he just hasn't played.

He looked solid in the preseason scrimmages. I think his injury just put him so far behind Williams and Harris he just hasn't been able to get on the floor.

-Blu

Anyone confirm if he does have 3 years or not?

Swinesong1

Quote from: -Blu on January 15, 2015, 11:29:00 am
Anyone confirm if he does have 3 years or not?
So my highly paid research staff is not good enough for you?  :)

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

"New Mexico JC's Kimani Jackson (Red Shirt Freshman) plays with bounce around the rim and gets up for dunks and put-backs with ease. A great looking athlete that has some developing to do, but has the athleticism to compete at a high level."

https://texashoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1692608

-Blu

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 15, 2015, 11:47:58 am
So my highly paid research staff is not good enough for you?  :)

My bad I didn't know it came from your research staff, that's as good as gold then.   :P

But yea, I found the answer to my own question 2 minutes after I posted it.  Dudley confirmed he's a redshirt freshman with 3 years left.

Danny J

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 15, 2015, 11:54:09 am
"New Mexico JC's Kimani Jackson (Red Shirt Freshman) plays with bounce around the rim and gets up for dunks and put-backs with ease. A great looking athlete that has some developing to do, but has the athleticism to compete at a high level."

https://texashoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1692608
That's scary and not what this team needs. Another athletic guy who has to learn to play the game. If this thing is ever going to get back to elite level it's going to have to start by getting basketball players who understand how to play and can make an immediate difference.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: rude1 on January 15, 2015, 09:06:29 pm
That's scary and not what this team needs. Another athletic guy who has to learn to play the game. If this thing is ever going to get back to elite level it's going to have to start by getting basketball players who understand how to play and can make an immediate difference.

This x 100000000
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Danny J

I agree.....it is one thing to have one or two of those guys but more than that especially at the same position is a recipe for disaster. Likely going to lose Portis who has a high basketball IQ, Motor and who can shoot/stretch defenders and going to replace him with a athlete who is still trying to learn basketball is a huge mistake.

ra2ford

Can he be coached to Compete on the Road, or only a stud in front of home crowds?

TheRazorbackGuy

He is from Arlington Texas. He probably played HS or AAU with Babb. He was a 2 star who committed to Louisiana Lafayette out of HS.

Marshfieldhog

Outside of Whitt, I've been disappointed with this years class. I think Portis and Qualls both go pro, that's a lot of scoring lost when you add in Harris(gulp) and Madden.

I think Anderson succeeds or fails here by getting Monk in the next class. If he doesn't make the tourney soon his job will come down to getting Monk.

Kevin

i don't think cma's job will ever be in jeopardy
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cresthog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on January 16, 2015, 02:33:21 am
Outside of Whitt, I've been disappointed with this years class. I think Portis and Qualls both go pro, that's a lot of scoring lost when you add in Harris(gulp) and Madden.

How can you be disappointed outside of Whitt? He's our only commit?

Qualls going pro is doubtful. It would be a VERY bad decision, worse than Thurman.

We get Hannah, Whitt and Miles next year. They'll help with the scoring along with Beard, Bell and Williams.

We'll be solid next year and look a lot more like Mike wants us to look.

PonderinHog

Is Miles eligible for a medical redshirt?

Hawg Red

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 16, 2015, 09:53:45 am
Is Miles eligible for a medical redshirt?

He's played in 9 games. I can't remember what the rule is there.

PonderinHog

January 16, 2015, 10:12:23 am #48 Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:53:28 am by PonderinHog
Quote from: Hawg Red on January 16, 2015, 10:03:04 am
He's played in 9 games. I can't remember what the rule is there.
I did not realize that.  Thought it was closer to three games.  He must be invisible...

Edit:  36 minutes total.

HogsonHicks

Spot on. We need select long athletes, but we must find guys that can score and defend in the post. When the press isn't working and the threes aren't falling, having a reliable inside presence is critical.

Post play travels. The outside game sometimes misses the bus.