Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official 2016 Masters week thread

Started by Hawgndaaz, April 04, 2016, 04:21:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Does anybody want to win this thing? There's going to have to be some low scoring to reach -18 for the winner........

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2016, 05:18:51 pm
Does anybody want to win this thing? There's going to have to be some low scoring to reach -18 for the winner........
Oh, you're talking about the winning total last year when Spieth won the tournament. Yep, someone is gonna have to catch fire to make it to -18.....oh, and lest I forget, Tiger's total was -18 when he blew the field away back when the golf course was close to 500 yards shorter. Spieth's (-18) was exponentially more difficult to pull off than was Tiger's (-18)...they basically played two different golf course as far as length goes
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

clutch

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 08, 2016, 05:47:05 pm
Oh, you're talking about the winning total last year when Spieth won the tournament. Yep, someone is gonna have to catch fire to make it to -18.....oh, and lest I forget, Tiger's total was -18 when he blew the field away back when the golf course was close to 500 yards shorter. Spieth's (-18) was exponentially more difficult to pull off than was Tiger's (-18)...they basically played two different golf course as far as length goes

No he's talking about GoHogs referring to how these guys always tear up Augusta and there needs to be course changes. Which just isn't the case.

Jackrabbit Hog

Spieth and McIlroy in the final group tomorrow.  Can't ask for much more than that.  Hopefully there will be a few more birdies out there for everybody.  I tuned in to watch a Masters today, and a U.S. Open broke out.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

clutch

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 08, 2016, 06:35:53 pm
Spieth and McIlroy in the final group tomorrow.  Can't ask for much more than that.  Hopefully there will be a few more birdies out there for everybody.  I tuned in to watch a Masters today, and a U.S. Open broke out.

That dang course is just too easy I tell ya. A bad test of golf.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on April 08, 2016, 06:43:20 pm

Yeah, I shot that last time there.

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2016, 06:58:31 pm
Yeah, I shot that last time there.

I bet if they started on the 18th hole and finished on the first, it would be a much tougher course. Forget flipping the 9's. They just need to flip the whole course. Make it more exciting since the Masters is such a snoozefest every year.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on April 08, 2016, 07:00:49 pm
I bet if they started on the 18th hole and finished on the first, it would be a much tougher course. Forget flipping the 9's. They just need to flip the whole course. Make it more exciting since the Masters is such a snoozefest every year.

Change it up every round, play it backwards on even days, and regular on odd days......

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on April 08, 2016, 06:43:20 pm
guys, I really dont want to see a full page of stats going back to Old Tom Morris in this thread

PP

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2016, 07:02:34 pm
Change it up every round, play it backwards on even days, and regular on odd days......

Even Better. Then it's like they are playing 2 different courses.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 08, 2016, 06:15:23 am

Yeah we will just make amen corner the three of the first four holes.  That will make for GREAT TV ratings for satirday and Sunday when one of the best theee hole stretches of all golf isn't even televised.

You have absolutely no evidence to support WTH you just said. 

There wouldn't be anything wrong with the Amen Corner holes being on the Front 9.  There is substantial T.V. coverage of the Front 9 over the 4 days, particularly the T.V. coverage on Sunday.

Amen Corner is not like what it used to be.  Hole 11 has not been right/doesn't play like it should play ever since the early 2000's when they lengthened the hole and when they planted the trees on the right side of the fairway.  The current green on hole 12 hasn't been as good since a 1951 expansion of the green.  The 12th green prior to the 1951 expansion had a right side that was considerably smaller than the left side, and this smaller right side was elevated significantly above the left – a substantial difference from the relatively flat surface in play today.  The 13th hole has been neutered because of the out-of-control golf equipment technology that is being used by today's Pros.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 08, 2016, 08:15:32 pm
There wouldn't be anything wrong with the Amen Corner holes being on the Front 9.  There is substantial T.V. coverage of the Front 9 over the 4 days, particularly the T.V. coverage on Sunday.

Amen Corner is not like what it used to be.  Hole 11 has not been right/doesn't play like it should play ever since the early 2000's when they lengthened the hole and when they planted the trees on the right side of the fairway.  The current green on hole 12 hasn't been as good since a 1951 expansion of the green.  The 12th green prior to the 1951 expansion had a right side that was considerably smaller than the left side, and this smaller right side was elevated significantly above the left – a substantial difference from the relatively flat surface in play today.  The 13th hole has been neutered because of the out-of-control golf equipment technology that is being used by today's Pros.

I counted about 15 balls in Rae's Creek on that neutered hole today.  Most from pros who couldn't bend their tee shots to the left around the dogleg and ended up in the trees or pine straw. 

Seems like almost the perfect hole to me.  Play two perfect shots and you are rewarded with an eagle chance.  Hit a couple of loose ones and you're bogey or worse.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

I'm not sure I understand why everyone supposedly loves Spieth, at least that's what the TV commentators say.  Did anyone catch him whining on #11 that he wanted to keep waiting until the wind let up but couldn't because his group was on the clock?

They were on the clock because he is ridiculously slow.  What's the deal with going back to his caddie for the towel?  It's not so he can wipe off his hands because he barely touches it.  It has to be something like he has to touch his lucky towel.

At the time that he was complaining that he couldn't stand around and wait even longer in 11 fairway you could see that the group in front of them had already finished playing the 12th hole and moved on to 13.

You could tell Faldo was getting irritated with the waiting on the wind and Keegan Bradley-like backing off putts.  He said something like, "You just have to go ahead and play and take what you get."

zane

It was amazing just how dejected some of these guys looked today. Several of the guys that missed the cut had a "thank God this miserable tournament is over" look on their faces.

Crazy how scoring was so deep last year and then the course just kills everyone's hopes and dreams this year- just crushed them.
RIP LSUfan

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 08, 2016, 09:35:44 pm
I counted about 15 balls in Rae's Creek on that neutered hole today.  Most from pros who couldn't bend their tee shots to the left around the dogleg and ended up in the trees or pine straw. 

Seems like almost the perfect hole to me.  Play two perfect shots and you are rewarded with an eagle chance.  Hit a couple of loose ones and you're bogey or worse.

During the T.V. coverage a graphic was put on the screen that showed at that point over the 1.75 rounds of the entire tournament so far, the 13th hole was the 3rd easiest hole on the course.

As Spieth, DeChambeau, and Casey were starting to walk off the 16th green after each had bogeyed the hole, as the T.V. camera was panning over towards the left, I thought I saw Fred Ridley there beside the green watching.  Ridley is the Chairman of their Tournament Competition Committee.  If that was Ridley (and it sure looked like him), then he saw that goofy carnage that green caused those 3 players.

A couple of pin locations used on that hole are a joke, but they really don't have a lot choices for suitable pin locations because the green on hole 16 is a joke.  If they are going to make some immediate changes to the course in the very near future, then hopefully the green on hole 16 is redesigned.  The current Robert Trent Jones designed green from 1947 that is currently there needs to go, and it needs to go rather soon.

GolfNut57

So......what notable names missed the cut?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

EastexHawg

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 08, 2016, 10:04:48 pm

My pick, Mickelson, putted a ball off a green...three putted from two feet on another hole...took two to get out of a trap on yet another...and hit two of the most awful shots you'll ever see into the water on 15 and 16 for two double bogeys...and still only missed the cut by one shot.

He was in 5th place before doing all that.

GolfNut57

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 08, 2016, 11:50:13 pm
My pick, Mickelson, putted a ball off a green...three putted from two feet on another hole...took two to get out of a trap on yet another...and hit two of the most awful shots you'll ever see into the water on 15 and 16 for two double bogeys...and still only missed the cut by one shot.

He was in 5th place before doing all that.

So your kiss of death is really effective then.......
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 08, 2016, 10:04:48 pm

Two notables are Zach Johnson and Ricky Fowler and Fowler was my pick going in.  Spright's collapse on the last few holes let Watson back in it.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HSVhogfan2

The 2 main defenses  any golf course have against good golfers is wind and rough.  Play Sawgrass or Doral in August when it's set up for members, and the wind is usually calm, and a single digit handicap can shoot a low score. Play it in March-May when the wind is gusting and the rough is juicy and you may not break 90.

Thats the reason golf is the best particpation sport there is. You play a different course everyday, depending on wind.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

ricepig

Larry Mize -3 under after 3 holes today, it won't last, but it shows there are some birdies in the wind today.

ricepig

April 09, 2016, 11:26:31 am #171 Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:42:40 am by ricepig
Well, Mize followed 3 straight birdies with 4 consecutive bogeys. It looks like Cabera-Bello is the hottest now.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 08, 2016, 08:15:32 pm

Amen Corner is not like what it used to be.  Hole 11 has not been right/doesn't play like it should play ever since the early 2000's when they lengthened the hole and when they planted the trees on the right side of the fairway.  The current green on hole 12 hasn't been as good since a 1951 expansion of the green. The 12th green prior to the 1951 expansion had a right side that was considerably smaller than the left side, and this smaller right side was elevated significantly above the left – a substantial difference from the relatively flat surface in play today.  The 13th hole has been neutered because of the out-of-control golf equipment technology that is being used by today's Pros.

Just how TF do you know that?  Were you plaing in the fifties and then again the last few years?  Have you talked to a player?  Your shtick of knocking one of the most historical nicest golf courses and tournaments in the world is getting really old.  It's amazing that maybe 6-8 under will win this thing and you spew what you do about the course.  I don't think you have a real clue how the course played back when you reference, except you are just reading from people who make a career of writing about such things. 

There is nothing wrong with the 16th green either.  It has a long history of playing a huge role on sunday when players are battling.  It is designed if you hit a good shot to allow for a great birdie op, but also if you don't locate the tee show you could three put. 

ricepig

DJ has missed 3 consecutive 10ft putts for birdie, of course, it's the weekend. Jordan, if he wins, will have won this with his putter.

ricepig

Day goes birdie-birdie to get to -1.

ricepig

ronmahony

That really surprised me about Phil. I was expecting him to do really well this year. I hated to see that happen to Ernie too, I love watching his swing. Big Easy is a great nickname for him.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Pulled(PP)pork

majestic

Holy cow! Langer is in second. Gohogs is stroking it furiously right now.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hawginbigd1

Rory is flailing away like he did a couple years ago, I think Spieth walks away from here on for back to back.

I have always been a US homer so I hated Langer in his prime, but find myself pulling for him here as an old guy! I like to pull for the over 50s and the amateurs! Be so cool to see an amateur win the Masters or one of the Opens!

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 09, 2016, 04:34:48 pm
Rory is flailing away like he did a couple years ago, I think Spieth walks away from here on for back to back.

I have always been a US homer so I hated Langer in his prime, but find myself pulling for him here as an old guy! I like to pull for the over 50s and the amateurs! Be so cool to see an amateur win the Masters or one of the Opens!

Not so fast my friend....

GolfNut57

Maybe it is just me but Langer seems to be getting real close to anchoring his long putter against his chest. Which has been banned from doing this year.

Pulled(PP)pork

Are you on the clock, if you're the last group?

PP

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2016, 04:41:08 pm
Not so fast my friend....
IKR but making the putt on 12 was huge. I just think he putts to well for anybody to catch him.

ricepig

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 09, 2016, 05:08:19 pm

PP

Sure, being out of position is the same, or I'd assume so.

ronmahony

I am just curious, because I haven't heard anything about it. If Rory wins does that mean he will be one of only six with the Grand Slam?
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ronmahony on April 09, 2016, 05:33:27 pm
I am just curious, because I haven't heard anything about it. If Rory wins does that mean he will be one of only six with the Grand Slam?
Career Gland Slam, yes.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 09, 2016, 05:08:19 pm

PP
nah, more chances to get a few IBM, AT&T and Mercedes Benz commercials...no harm, just more money

PonderinHog

Spieth shoulda quit after 16 today.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ronmahony on April 09, 2016, 05:33:27 pm
Rory needs to get wasted tonight...I'd say tequila shots until 5 am in the Winnebago with Romeo....here's to the finely tuned athlete on the edge of greatness...Rory, seriously is going to have to shoot 63 tomorrow

PonderinHog

Well, things just got interesting for tomorrow.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 09, 2016, 06:24:37 pm
Well, things just got interesting for tomorrow.

Yep, he let a whole lot of more golfers back into the tournament.

zane

Ouch- losing 3 strokes on the final 2 holes.

RIP LSUfan

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 09, 2016, 04:53:46 pm
Maybe it is just me but Langer seems to be getting real close to anchoring his long putter against his chest. Which has been banned from doing this year.
I was thinking the very same thing, particularly the final putt on the 18th....wow...that has to be DQ because I don't see how you could attach strokes to such things....but I haven't read the official rule either

ricepig

So, anyone +2 or better has a chance??

PonderinHog

A -4 round could win it, depending on what the leaders do.  Was it Shwartzel that went nuts a few years ago?

ronmahony

That could be worrisome, I don' believe the wind had a lot to do with those last two holes.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ronmahony on April 09, 2016, 07:06:31 pm
That could be worrisome, I don' believe the wind had a lot to do with those last two holes.
I bet he works on that between now and tee time.  Or maybe he just goes out and gets hammered tonight...

Boarcephus

Little help here.  Missed the round today and saw where Rory shot 77 with no birdies.  What was the deal??  Couldn't make a putt or what?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 09, 2016, 07:29:08 pm
Little help here.  Missed the round today and saw where Rory shot 77 with no birdies.  What was the deal??  Couldn't make a putt or what?

Correct, and missed several fairways, although Jordan did, too.