Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Opinions

Started by RazorPiggie, March 09, 2016, 08:57:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

So I'm getting a new 3wood this year. Probably going to order one off TWG. I have no idea what brand of shaft to get. I have the option of the Aldila Tour Green 75, Diamana D+ White or Diamana S+ Blue. I looked up the spec on these and have no idea what I'm looking at.

Aldila Tour Green 75 Specs

Diamana D+ White Specs

Diamana S+ Blue Specs

Just for reference I tend to hit the ball high and have a slight draw.

MS_HogFan

I don't know but Butt Stiffness has to be a good thing
SOOIE

GoHogs1091

In my opinion, two others to consider that will be difficult to do better for the money are the following.

Grafalloy ProLite 35

scroll down to the bottom of the following page to read some reviews.

http://www.golfworks.com/grafalloy-prolite-35-graphite-wood-shafts/p/TT202211/

Padraig Harrington used the ProLite 35 when he won the Open Championship at Royal Birkdale in 2008.  The 3 Wood approach shot he made on the 17th hole during the final round was an amazing shot.

Here is an interesting thread from 2009.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/310829-pros-still-using-prolite-35/

Graphite Design Purple Ice

Bernhard Langer used the Graphite Design Purple Ice in his 3 Wood all the way up to 2014, and he still may use it.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/31433-graphite-design-purple-ice/

onebadrubi

Give us a better description of your ball flight?  Also how is your spin?  You wanting the 3 wood to be more like a driver or a fairway tool?  Any idea on your swing speed?

I personally use to be able to stop a 3 wood on just about any green, but hated it off the tee because I got really no length or roll.  I recently changed up and went with more of a more  flatter flight.  And so far through maybe 15 rounds im loving it.

Wildhog

I stopped carrying a 3 wood
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 09, 2016, 08:57:28 am
So I'm getting a new 3wood this year. Probably going to order one off TWG. I have no idea what brand of shaft to get. I have the option of the Aldila Tour Green 75, Diamana D+ White or Diamana S+ Blue. I looked up the spec on these and have no idea what I'm looking at.

Aldila Tour Green 75 Specs

Diamana D+ White Specs

Diamana S+ Blue Specs

Just for reference I tend to hit the ball high and have a slight draw.

I have Diamana Shafts in both my Driver and fairway wood and love them. In summer, I only carry a KZG VC-F 17 degree fairway. I put a 3 hybrid in place of my 3 iron in winter.

I would go with a reg flex shaft unless your swing is in excess of 105 MPH, although most would disagree. I am a feel player and I have more feel with more flex or at least a softer tip.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

GolfNut57

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 09, 2016, 03:06:30 pm
In my opinion, two others to consider that will be difficult to do better for the money are the following.

Grafalloy ProLite 35

Padraig Harrington used the ProLite 35 when he won the Open Championship at Royal Birkdale in 2008.  The 3 Wood approach shot he made on the 17th hole during the final round was an amazing shot.

Bernhard Langer used the Graphite Design Purple Ice in his 3 Wood all the way up to 2014, and he still may use it.

Are these what Perry Maxwell recommends?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 09, 2016, 08:45:04 pm
I have Diamana Shafts in both my Driver and fairway wood and love them. In summer, I only carry a KZG VC-F 17 degree fairway. I put a 3 hybrid in place of my 3 iron in winter.

I would go with a reg flex shaft unless your swing is in excess of 105 MPH, although most would disagree. I am a feel player and I have more feel with more flex or at least a softer tip.

Regular flex lol, if I used a regular flex I'd have to aim 20 yards left everytime. I'd say my swing speed is around 105-115. Honestly I don't know but I'm 29 and have about a 5-7 handicap. Average drive about 280-290 yards.

RazorPiggie

jfan01

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 10, 2016, 11:33:37 am
Regular flex lol, if I used a regular flex I'd have to aim 20 yards left everytime. I'd say my swing speed is around 105-115. Honestly I don't know but I'm 29 and have about a 5-7 handicap. Average drive about 280-290 yards.

I'm a little older than you, but similar stats.  I just picked up an Exotics 3 wood with an X-flex Fujikura shaft on TGW for $100 and love it so far.  I haven't checked if they still have them, but check the closeout section of the site if you're interested.  Exotics are hard to beat for 3 woods, but I've never had one before due to the insane prices you usually have to pay for new ones.

Hawgndaaz

theres a huge difference in 105 and 115. I'd get that hashed out immediately before making a purchase.

FYI, the Adams XTD 3 wood are incredible. Find you one a few years old and thank me later. KodQ endorses this.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 11, 2016, 09:21:06 am
theres a huge difference in 105 and 115. I'd get that hashed out immediately before making a purchase.

FYI, the Adams XTD 3 wood are incredible. Find you one a few years old and thank me later. KodQ endorses this.

True but I cannot hit a regular flex.

HSVhogfan2

If your average drive is 280-290 in the fairway, and you don't carry but a 5-7 index, I would honestly invest in some good wedges and a putter.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 11, 2016, 03:08:02 pm
True but I cannot hit a regular flex.

I don't know many people under 65 that can!

everything in my bag is x. my speed was 117 last time I had it clocked.

root_hawg

He didn't say fairway and how much of that 280-290 was right and left.  lol

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: root_hawg on March 12, 2016, 08:29:50 pm

That's a big point of confusion on weekend players wanting to play what pros use.

Even though we might know what shaft they use, say a stiff or X flex, everything they do is custom so we don't know how they are tipped.

Before I lost my right leg, I never hit an iron hard, now, I have more control if I go after every iron as hard as I can. It makes no sense. I play with a heavier reg flex shaft in my Driver (swing speed is a hair over 100) and a stiff shaft that is soft stepped to give me more feel on my irons.

There are so many shaft combinations, someone is better off, IMO, playing a cheaper Iron (or driver for that matter) like a Wishon that is custom fit than playing a higher price club off the rack. Finding a fitter that knows what they are doing can be a pain in the ass though.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

root_hawg

Where is best "fitter" in Arkansas?

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: root_hawg on March 15, 2016, 12:19:06 am
Where is best "fitter" in Arkansas?

My nephew in Fayetteville uses Golf USA.

If you are in central AR, drive over and see Flip at S&P Golf, right outside of the East Gate of HSV. He handles TM, Ben Hogan, Bridgestone, Tour Edge, Adams, and some KZG. 

Veni Sancte Spiritus

GolfNut57

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 15, 2016, 10:43:03 am
My nephew in Fayetteville uses Golf USA.

If you are in central AR, drive over and see Flip at S&P Golf, right outside of the East Gate of HSV. He handles TM, Ben Hogan, Bridgestone, Tour Edge, Adams, and some KZG.

If he is in central AR I think he can do better than Flip. I have used that guy before and he is more about just selling clubs than making sure they are properly fit to the golfer. He used to be in Sherwood but last I heard about him he had moved his store to Benton. Has he moved again?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

root_hawg

Who would u use Nuts?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 09, 2016, 03:06:30 pm

Grafalloy ProLite 35

WWPMD

PP

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 15, 2016, 10:46:25 am
If he is in central AR I think he can do better than Flip. I have used that guy before and he is more about just selling clubs than making sure they are properly fit to the golfer. He used to be in Sherwood but last I heard about him he had moved his store to Benton. Has he moved again?

Yeah, he lives in HSV on Isabella and has a store outside of the east gate. I just used him to get a new shaft for my driver when I started playing agian after my wreck. He was really patient with me. I hit about 10 different shafts before I found the right one. It is not what I would have chosen for myself, but the numbers don't lie.

Most people here in the Village actually use the guy at Golf Headquarters on Markham, or the place in Conway. The older guys (LOL I'm 63 and calling people "older") swear by the guy in Conway. Sorry, I can't think of the place right now.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

GolfNut57

Quote from: root_hawg on March 15, 2016, 11:47:54 am
Who would u use Nuts?

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 15, 2016, 12:11:25 pm

Most people here in the Village actually use the guy at Golf Headquarters on Markham, or the place in Conway. The older guys (LOL I'm 63 and calling people "older") swear by the guy in Conway. Sorry, I can't think of the place right now.

I don't generally use a specific fitter as a habit so I have no names. But I have always heard good things about the staff at Arkansas Golf center in Conway. For that matter the staff at Edwin Watts over in west Little Rock have never led me wrong when I have shopped there.

Wildhog

I used to work at the Arkansas Golf Center in Conway.  They've got a great setup.  I highly recommend it.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

root_hawg

RazorPiggie

Quote from: root_hawg on March 12, 2016, 08:29:50 pm

HA