Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

As for the HONDA CLASSIC

Started by Iwastherein1969, February 25, 2016, 05:58:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

which starts today. I have a feeling, and its not methane, that Rory is about to bust out of his slump and once again show the world who is the best player when he's on his game. McIlroy has not been the same since his injury and its getting about that time when the muscled up Northern Irishman shows Eldrick there's no need for a 7th comeback attempt. One imagines Rory likely thinks Eldrick might as well stay at home hitting balls on the virtual golf course machine and hope Ms. Vonne will give him a call.

ad: Sinn Fein returns, Rory !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Boarcephus

Watched the first round when I got home and once again, Rory can't putt.  Rory reminds me of a guy I used to play with.  From tee to green he was a scratch golfer but once on or just off the green he was a 15 handicapper.  Fowler is sitting nicely. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

A shout out to our man Ken Duke.  Shot 75 yesterday (+5) but so far this morning he has the round of the day going at -5 through 12 holes.  No one else is better than -3 and most are over par.  I don't want to jinx him but he's gone from a sure missed cut to a relatively late tee time tomorrow if he can finish strong. 

I like the Honda because it's not a birdie-fest.  The winning score is usually somewhere between -5 and -10, depending on the wind. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pulled(PP)pork

Jackrabbit Hog

Duke finishes with a 65; moves from missing the cut to currently T-21.  That'll most likely improve as the day goes on, considering the average score is a couple over par.

Fowler and Sergio are still leading.  I wouldn't mind seeing a Sunday shootout between those two, and seeing Rickie wipe the course with that whiny Euro brat.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Wow, Rory's gonna miss the cut.  Just tripled a par 3 and he's now 5 over. 

His game sure seems to come and go.  When he's on, no question he's the best in the world.  But he has way too many weeks when he just doesn't have it. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 26, 2016, 11:05:06 am

His game sure seems to come and go.  When he's on, no question he's the best in the world.  But he has way too many weeks when he just doesn't have it.
and we won't need a 7th comeback from Eldrick

PP

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 26, 2016, 11:47:39 am
and we won't need a 7th comeback from Eldrick

PP
from what I saw of McIlroy, Eldrick has a better shot at a comeback than Rory does of being the dominant player he was a couple or so years back...disappointing to say the least....Eldrick will never be the player he was for that magical 10 years, but he sure maintained excellence for quite some time....A LOT more than I can say for Rory
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Boarcephus

Not a Tiger fan but I will say he's the strongest player mentally since Nicklaus.  Rory and Phil are head cases to say the least. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Bold prediction here.......Rickie will have a better year this year than Jordan, Jason or Rory.  Seems like the top 3 are all missing that consistency they need, and Rickie's starting to show it. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 27, 2016, 08:40:45 am
Bold prediction here.......Rickie will have a better year this year than Jordan, Jason or Rory.  Seems like the top 3 are all missing that consistency they need, and Rickie's starting to show it. 

Not sure that's even that bold.  Fowler is playing well and other than driving over the green into the water on the par 4 he'd have another win this year. 

Boog41

I'm not sure it's that bold either. What Ricky did in the majors last year was amazing. So far he is carrying it over to this year. I'd bet on him getting his first major this year.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boog41 on February 27, 2016, 09:16:27 am
I'm not sure it's that bold either. What Ricky did in the majors last year was amazing. So far he is carrying it over to this year. I'd bet on him getting his first major this year.

It was actually 2 years ago, but I get your point.  He's figured out how to play well at the most important times.

ricepig

Well, whatever you do, don't set up a drinking game with "Bear trap" as the trigger, your liver couldn't stand it.

Boog41

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 27, 2016, 09:42:07 am
It was actually 2 years ago, but I get your point.  He's figured out how to play well at the most important times.

My God, I blacked out for 2015. What else did I miss?

GolfNut57

The Bear trap is eating them alive today. Turned Adam Scott's 3 stroke lead over Garcia into a 1 stroke deficit after 15. Fowler has fallen down the board with a +4 round through 14 holes.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boog41 on February 27, 2016, 03:11:19 pm
My God, I blacked out for 2015. What else did I miss?
I married Jennifer Lawrence.

clutch

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 26, 2016, 11:05:06 am

That's why I've always felt Rory was more  comparable to Phil than tiger. When he's at his best he's hard to beat, but he's so streaky. He is either at the top or missing cuts all together. Not much in between with him.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 27, 2016, 04:05:41 pm
The Bear trap is eating them alive today. Turned Adam Scott's 3 stroke lead over Garcia into a 1 stroke deficit after 15. Fowler has fallen down the board with a +4 round through 14 holes.

Not good news for the PGA Tour Pros.  Since they are having this much trouble at the course for the Honda Classic, just think what Oakmont is going to do to them in June.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 27, 2016, 10:18:00 pm
Not good news for the PGA Tour Pros.  Since they are having this much trouble at the course for the Honda Classic, just think what Oakmont is going to do to them in June.
could you imagine if it was at THE Perry Maxwell course

PP

ricepig

Not good news?? These guys don't care what the shoot, as long as it is one shot better than the field, bless your heart.

Jackrabbit Hog

So they've added a bunch of water to Oakmont?  Because that's what's leading to all the high scores.  That, and wind.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2016, 08:58:53 am
Not good news?? These guys don't care what the shoot, as long as it is one shot better than the field, bless your heart.

They will care about it.  The fact that many of them will probably be whining about the difficulty of Oakmont after they play their first practice round and whining during the tournament shows that they will care what they shoot.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 28, 2016, 02:41:53 pm
They will care about it.  The fact that many of them will probably be whining about the difficulty of Oakmont after they play their first practice round and whining during the tournament shows that they will care what they shoot.

ricepig

No, all they will care is if they win or not. They understand it's the U.S. Open, it's going to be hard, and unfair, but I promise you, no one is going to give their prize money back.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 28, 2016, 09:02:08 am
So they've added a bunch of water to Oakmont?  Because that's what's leading to all the high scores.  That, and wind.

Oakmont doesn't need a bunch of water.

The following sums up Oakmont.

A quote from Arnold Palmer:  "You can hit 72 greens (in regulation) in the Open at Oakmont and not come close to winning."

Sam Snead once commented that he tried to mark his ball on one of Oakmont's greens but the coin slid off.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 28, 2016, 03:08:50 pm

A quote from Arnold Palmer:  "You can hit 72 greens (in regulation) in the Open at Oakmont and not come close to winning."

Sam Snead once commented that he tried to mark his ball on one of Oakmont's greens but the coin slid off.

Old Tom Morris:  "They need to bring the sheep out a wee bit more to lower that rough."

GolfNut57

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 28, 2016, 03:08:50 pm

That's not golf........that's playing putt putt at the local mini golf course.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Jackrabbit Hog

Looks like Adam Scott's gonna hang on and win.  Sergio's not putting up much of a fight; been scrambling for pars all day long.

I'd shoot a 250 on that course.  Water gets in my head, and that course has as much on it as any I've seen (along with Doral).

clutch

The only ones who will be whining is the ones who aren't in contention. The best love playing courses that are extremely difficult. They feel it gives them an edge over everyone else.

And if a course is tricked up to where balls won't stay on the greens, it's not the course, it's the setup.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: clutch on February 28, 2016, 05:36:46 pm
The only ones who will be whining is the ones who aren't in contention. The best love playing courses that are extremely difficult. They feel it gives them an edge over everyone else.

And if a course is tricked up to where balls won't stay on the greens, it's not the course, it's the setup.

There is nothing tricked up for the PGA Tour Pros when they are at Oakmont.

According to Oakmont Members, the USGA slows down the greens for the PGA Tour Pros the week the Tour Pros are there compared to what the Oakmont Members face the rest of the time.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 28, 2016, 07:41:31 pm
There is nothing tricked up for the PGA Tour Pros when they are at Oakmont.

According to Oakmont Members, the USGA slows down the greens for the PGA Tour Pros the week the Tour Pros are there compared to what the Oakmont Members face the rest of the time.
you must believe everything you read
them members are smoking something

PP

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 29, 2016, 10:03:33 am
Back to the Honda for a moment, not exactly the most exciting tournament / finish as of late given Sergio stumbled around the place yesterday and no one else really stepped up meaningfully to challenge Adam Scott.  While Scott deserves some credit for hanging on on a day when scoring wasn't really low while conditions were tougher, it's hard to see how Scott will take a large dose of confidence from this victory.  Nonetheless, with Augusta approaching, it is always good to have a win under your belt.

I disagree.  That was something like his third or fourth top 2 finish this year and it was a win on a really tough course.  Plus, his putting was very good and that's always been what held him back when he didn't play well.  Stated another way, when Adam Scott putts well, there are very few who can beat him.  His problem has always been that his putting is super streaky; he just hasn't been on a good streak in a long time.  But I think he leaves Honda with a ton of confidence and I think he'll have to be one to keep an eye on at Augusta.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 29, 2016, 09:56:48 am
you must believe everything you read
them members are smoking something

PP

I didn't read that.  NBC Sports' Dan Hicks talked about it during the NBC telecast of the 2007 U.S. Open at Oakmont.

Why would Oakmont Members not tell the truth about that aspect?  The Members know what the Stimpmeter normally is for the greens when they are playing the rest of the year, and the Members know what the USGA sets the Stimpmeter at for the PGA Tour Pros the week they compete there.

EastexHawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 29, 2016, 10:03:33 am
Back to the Honda for a moment, not exactly the most exciting tournament / finish as of late given Sergio stumbled around the place yesterday and no one else really stepped up meaningfully to challenge Adam Scott.  While Scott deserves some credit for hanging on on a day when scoring wasn't really low while conditions were tougher, it's hard to see how Scott will take a large dose of confidence from this victory.  Nonetheless, with Augusta approaching, it is always good to have a win under your belt. 

Take Sergio Garcia out of the situation and put Jack Nicklaus in the exact same spot, in the same position with seven or eight holes to play, and let Adam Scott play exactly the way he did over that same stretch.

If that situation plays out 10,000 times, Nicklaus beats Scott all 10,000.  Even if he was in his 40s, Nicklaus every time.  Probably even in his 50s.

I was actually rooting for Sergio, but there is a reason why he doesn't win.  Is he a great ball striker most of the time?  Yes.  But...he's not a finisher.  Never has been, never will be.  Adam Scott was there for the taking with even the most mediocre of finishes by Sergio.  He couldn't make it happen.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 29, 2016, 03:50:54 pm
I didn't read that.  NBC Sports' Dan Hicks talked about it during the NBC telecast of the 2007 U.S. Open at Oakmont.

Why would Oakmont Members not tell the truth about that aspect?  The Members know what the Stimpmeter normally is for the greens when they are playing the rest of the year, and the Members know what the USGA sets the Stimpmeter at for the PGA Tour Pros the week they compete there.
you are trying to say, that you remember something from a telecast from 9yrs ago?  Astounding. It's absolute bull hockey that the members play tougher conditions than the pros

PP

ricepig

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 29, 2016, 04:46:13 pm
you are trying to say, that you remember something from a telecast from 9yrs ago?  Astounding. It's absolute bull hockey that the members play tougher conditions than the pros

PP

Rainman doesn't forget.......

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: ricepig on February 29, 2016, 05:28:42 pm

Rainman doesn't forget.......
haha, scary.....I responded to the Massters thread, dubbing him Rain Man, before I read this post

PP

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 29, 2016, 06:37:34 pm
haha, scary.....I responded to the Massters thread, dubbing him Rain Man, before I read this post

PP

Not to burst your bubble, but he's been dubbed Rainman for several years.  Just too many similarities.  I'll be he even watches reruns of People's Court every day.

clutch

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 29, 2016, 03:50:54 pm

Why would members lie about course conditions to make it sound tougher than the actual truth? Because they are golfers and golfers stretch the truth. The USGA doesn't come in and make courses easier.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 01, 2016, 06:56:41 am
Not to burst your bubble, but he's been dubbed Rainman for several years.  Just too many similarities.  I'll be he even watches reruns of People's Court every day.
It might have been stuck in my subconscious......a lot of cobwebs up there

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on March 01, 2016, 09:07:59 am
Why would members lie about course conditions to make it sound tougher than the actual truth? Because they are golfers and golfers stretch the truth. The USGA doesn't come in and make courses easier.
the hell you say, it was reported way back in 2007

PP

ricepig

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on March 01, 2016, 11:04:45 am
It might have been stuck in my subconscious......a lot of cobwebs up there

PP

I'm pretty sure Judge Wapner designs golf courses on the side.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2016, 11:30:56 am
I'm pretty sure Judge Wapner designs golf courses on the side.
I could see him and Rusty as partners

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 01, 2016, 12:07:10 pm
I know where you are coming from here, J'Rabb as Scott's performance record this year is solid but it just seems like Scott is one of those players who cannot grab victory by the nads and refuse to let go.  Scott seems more of the type that is more comfortable unnoticed for the most part to the point we forget about him.  Then, when no one else really steps up their game, it seems like he emerges at times like that.  That's what I saw Sunday - it wasn't so much that Scott won the tournament as much as it was he just sort of hung around and when no one else really stepped forward, Scott won it (almost by default it seems).
sounds like Kuchar too

PP

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on March 01, 2016, 12:08:17 pm
sounds like Kuchar too

PP

Well, Scott is much more handsome than Kuchar.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 01, 2016, 02:37:00 pm
Well, Scott is much more handsome than Kuchar.

Fairway good...Bunker bad
SOOIE

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 01, 2016, 06:56:41 am

I watch it when I can. I got the hots for Judge Milian (sp)  :)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 01, 2016, 08:49:30 pm
I watch it when I can. I got the hots for Judge Milian (sp)  :)

I've been binging Mad Men on Nefflix lately (can't believe I never watched it during its original run).

Why, oh why, couldn't I have worked in an office like that in the '60s?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 02, 2016, 07:22:02 am
I've been binging Mad Men on Nefflix lately (can't believe I never watched it during its original run).

Why, oh why, couldn't I have worked in an office like that in the '60s?
Child labor laws, idiot.