Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My quick thoughts on Coach Bielema

Started by mizzouman, October 23, 2017, 12:43:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Coach Bielema looks beat.  He's not used to losing and it's taking a huge toll on him both personally and professionally.  He physically looks beat down. 

I've seen this happen to coaches before and they really never come out of it unless they take a year or two off and come back re-energized. 

If this doesn't get turned around by the end of the year, then you won't have to fire him.  He'll resign.

cal34

He does look like he's given up on the sideline.  Just going through the motions.  I can't see him resigning with
the buyout he has.

DeltaBoy

He looked burned out at the post game presser.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: mizzouman on October 23, 2017, 12:43:43 pm
Coach Bielema looks beat.  He's not used to losing and it's taking a huge toll on him both personally and professionally.  He physically looks beat down. 

I've seen this happen to coaches before and they really never come out of it unless they take a year or two off and come back re-energized. 

If this doesn't get turned around by the end of the year, then you won't have to fire him.  He'll resign.
Well I'm glad someone finally pointed out SOMETHING, ANYTHING quick about Bret. Of course this comment is not to be confused with the speed with which he cashes his pay check.

sickboy

I don't blame the guy. It's gotta be rough to come from what he did at Wisconsin with confidence and think, "I can do this." And then to have the SEC West so resoundingly say, "No you can't."

I feel bad for the guy. He seems like a genuinely good dude. But he needs to walk away and regroup. He's just beat up.

clutch

I agree. I think he's drained. I think the stress of the job, as well as the stress of being a new father, is wearing him down.

HoggyCat

Who is this coach Bielema you speak of?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

texas tush hog

No, he will hang out for the buyout. He will take his $5.9 million and will take a couple years off and take a job in the television booth. He and Jen will be set for life and enjoy his little girl.

mizzouman

Quote from: cal34 on October 23, 2017, 01:02:59 pm
He does look like he's given up on the sideline.  Just going through the motions.  I can't see him resigning with
the buyout he has.
Not so much on the sidelines but just in interviews and press conferences.  He just physically looks like this season has taken a toll.  Honestly, feel bad for him because he's a great guy.  Hopefully it will turn around.

mizzouman

Quote from: sickboy on October 23, 2017, 01:10:48 pm
I don't blame the guy. It's gotta be rough to come from what he did at Wisconsin with confidence and think, "I can do this." And then to have the SEC West so resoundingly say, "No you can't."

I feel bad for the guy. He seems like a genuinely good dude. But he needs to walk away and regroup. He's just beat up.
Exactly.  Looks like one of those comparison photos of a new POTUS then the POTUS after 8 years. 

mizzouman

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 23, 2017, 01:17:24 pm

No, he will hang out for the buyout. He will take his $5.9 million and will take a couple years off and take a job in the television booth. He and Jen will be set for life and enjoy his little girl.
I don't know.  The way he looks physically and if losing continues, he may just cut a deal to get out to save himself and re-energize.

Wild Boarnado

He's looked beat down even in the opener against FAMU. After his on the field interview he didn't give his usual "Woo Pig" which was odd. My family and I were watching the beginning of that game and my mom (a 77-year -old life-long fan of the Hogs) said it looked as though his spirit had been broken or something.

I don't know what it could be. I don't like to speculate so I won't, but something really changed at the end of last season and through the off season.

It's time for him and for us that he finds a new job. I wish him all the best.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Drop the Mike

The words quick and Bielema should never be put in the same sentence

AirWarren

I feel the exact same way.

Good post.

PorkSoda

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 23, 2017, 01:17:24 pm

I  hope that is how it works out.  I think he's done a pretty good job of getting the pieces together, but for whatever reason can't assemble those pieces into a winning program.  We need to pay him his buy out, and salvage what is left, because if we keep going like this, the rebuild will be worse than what JLS left.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

The_Iceman

Coach Bielema is a Bully coach. That's the way he coaches at Wisconsin. Now, he is the smallest kid in the schoolyard and still trying to be a Bully, and he is getting his ass whipped.

We need to hire the little kid in the school yard that uses his brains and strategy to make the big kids look foolish. Out smart/scheme them.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: mizzouman on October 23, 2017, 01:24:29 pm
Not so much on the sidelines but just in interviews and press conferences.  He just physically looks like this season has taken a toll.  Honestly, feel bad for him because he's a great guy.  Hopefully it will turn around.

i've worn the following out in other threads, but.....

you could see it before the season started. he wasn't the confident, witty media darling as in years past. it was visible without the benefit of hindsight. my belief, based on what i've seen and speculate on, is that he gave in mentally before the season began.

The rest of the frog.

Tusks

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 23, 2017, 01:51:15 pm
Coach Bielema is a Bully coach. That's the way he coaches at Wisconsin. Now, he is the smallest kid in the schoolyard and still trying to be a Bully, and he is getting his ass whipped.

We need to hire the little kid in the school yard that uses his brains and strategy to make the big kids look foolish. Out smart/scheme them.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Inhogswetrust

Yep. At least your coach is still showing fire in the belly. Will he get another season?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MB Hog

Doesn't he have an infant in the household now?  Yes, I do think the season is taking a toll on him, but late-night criers can also take a lot out of a new parent.

phadedhawg

Redhogs

Sorry...feel allot worse for the Ar. football program he's flushed down the toilet..than clueless Bert.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: MB Hog on October 23, 2017, 04:58:14 pm
Doesn't he have an infant in the household now?  Yes, I do think the season is taking a toll on him, but late-night criers can also take a lot out of a new parent.
You can't be serious.....

311Hog

Quote from: MB Hog on October 23, 2017, 04:58:14 pm

indeed... ugh

jkstock04

Quote from: Redhogs on October 23, 2017, 05:04:02 pm
Sorry...feel allot worse for the Ar. football program he's flushed down the toilet..than clueless Bert.
Ditto. I don't feel bad for him one bit. He has made multi millions of dollars sending our football program down the toilet. He's one of the last guys in the world I would feel sorry for.

This feel sorry for him notion is coming from the same people who are going to push the narrative that it was an incredible hire at the time by our wonderous AD..."it just didn't work out, aaawwww shucks!" Was obviously an awful hire from the start.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

311Hog

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2017, 05:09:15 pm
Ditto. I don't feel bad for him one bit. He has made multi millions of dollars sending our football program down the toilet. He's one of the last guys in the world I would feel sorry for.

This feel sorry for him notion is coming from the same people who are going to push the narrative that it was an incredible hire at the time by our wonderous AD..."it just didn't work out, aaawwww shucks!" Was obviously an awful hire from the start.
haha it was? wow revisionist history and down right obtuse.  No one thought it would turn out like this when it happened. No one.

Bebop

There's no leaning on Alavrez in a weak Big 10 conference to save Bielema.

elksnort

This is a good post. Because I love the Razorbacks, I do feel bad for him to an extent. So what he should do is resign soon. If not, then I don't feel bad for him at all.

jkstock04

Quote from: 311Hog on October 23, 2017, 05:10:44 pm
haha it was? wow revisionist history and down right obtuse.  No one thought it would turn out like this when it happened. No one.
I've said from the get go his ceiling here is 8 wins. To be fair though, this has turned out a bit worse than I thought it would.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

WJBilly

We need to hire the little kid in the school yard that uses his brains and strategy to make the big kids look foolish. Out smart/scheme them
I thought of Lou Holtz when I read this.

sickboy

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2017, 05:09:15 pm

Sorry, maybe it's just me, but the human in me knows what it's like to work at something your entire life, 24/7, and see failure from time to time. That doesn't feel good and I feel sorry for the guy on a personal level. When you care about something, and you have other people relying on you, like kids and their football careers, that hurts inside.

I still love Hog football, but Brett Bielema didn't ruin Hog football. He did nothing but represent our program with class and, I'm guessing, did his best. He just didn't turn that effort into wins. It happens. A lot. Like every coach we've had since the 80's, minus the mad man who wrecked his motorcycle.

I wish him the best and I look forward to seeing what our next coach can do.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 23, 2017, 01:48:22 pm
The words quick and Bielema should never be put in the same sentence

or "coach"
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

East Clintwood

It's been awhile since I've seen any language from Bert's contract but I think I remember some language in there about termination of the contract during the season not being allowed by either party?   

Maybe I hallucinating or having a brain fart but does anyone else know about this?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Do you folks actually believe Bret has worked really hard long productive hours on putting a decent team on the field.  I don't.  Hard work even if not coming from the best will produce some positive results.  We have enjoyed very very little positive results.  Folks, we paid for a pretty decent luxury sedan and got a horse drawn buckboard without the horse.  In every business I have been in over a long period of life, I have always had to produce what I was selling.  Mistakes have been made over the years but in most businesses, it isn't that you won't make mistakes because you will, its how you handle those mistakes that marks what kind of business man you are.  In this instant case, pretty much the mistakes just get worse.  Across the USA, there aren't that many 4 million per year salaries being handed out.  Those that are, usually demand positive results or its bye, bye and way before 5 years have passed.  In fact, the person(s) above the bad hire would also be viewed in how they handle the problem.  So far we know the superiors we expect to correct the problem are doing nothing timely.

bkjbearcat

Didn't we have that? Then he was fired in the name of integrity?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

porkrindjimmy

I guarantee you I did and stated so.

PRJ

rtr

If Coach Bielema wanted to resign, I think it should be with a golden parachute.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

The SEC is a totally different animal and he's not been prepared from the start.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

rtr

It was the wrong move to the wrong place at the wrong time.  It is painful to watch Coach B on the sideline, he is hurting and I do feel badly for him.  There is no doubt he came here with the best of intentions. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

jkstock04

Quote from: sickboy on October 23, 2017, 07:53:07 pm
Sorry, maybe it's just me, but the human in me knows what it's like to work at something your entire life, 24/7, and see failure from time to time. That doesn't feel good and I feel sorry for the guy on a personal level. When you care about something, and you have other people relying on you, like kids and their football careers, that hurts inside.

I still love Hog football, but Brett Bielema didn't ruin Hog football. He did nothing but represent our program with class and, I'm guessing, did his best. He just didn't turn that effort into wins. It happens. A lot. Like every coach we've had since the 80's, minus the mad man who wrecked his motorcycle.

I wish him the best and I look forward to seeing what our next coach can do.

I can't wait til the stories about this guy his first couple of years here seep out to everyone after he is gone. It'll make you homers' heads spin in circles.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PonderinHog

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on October 23, 2017, 09:12:11 pm
The SEC is a totally different animal and he's not been prepared from the start.
Well, now he knows what big boy football is all about.

hawkhawg

I feel the same way.  I don't get why people take it personal.   The guy is in over his head. 

TNRazorbacker

He's put on a bunch of weight likely due to stress. He looks like a walking coronary now. If he doesn't take some time off I'm not sure how much longer he makes it.

sickboy

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2017, 09:16:13 pm
I can't wait til the stories about this guy his first couple of years here seep out to everyone after he is gone. It'll make you homers' heads spin in circles.

Clearly, I'm not a homer. I'm in favor of firing him. I am, however, not in favor of insinuating that someone is responsible for whatever it is you're hinting at without evidence. If you want to drag a man's name through the mud, fine. But don't be a wuss and hide behind a moniker online, vaguely hinting at things. Say what it is you know and tell people your name so they can verify the veracity of your claims.

BearsBisonsBoars

GoHogs1091

My thought is that he needs to go coach at the Junior High School level.

That is the level that is most appropriate for him.

sickboy

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on October 23, 2017, 10:49:06 pm
You must not have kids.

My son was born a week or two after Bielema's. The stress from my normal job and my son has been enough to take a toll on my body and I'm just a regular ol' dude. I don't have every other joe on the internet screaming that I should be fired from my day job, nor do I have someone's professional future in my hands, or the pressures of their parents looking to me to fulfill their son's dreams. Can't imagine what it must be like for a college football coach during that time.

Jimbob111

I did and I posted as much. I even changed my sig line to reflect he was Nutt 2.0. I knew he was a terrible fit.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

MB Hog

You must not have kids.
I was thinking the same thing.  I wasn't trying to say that the stress of the job and of losing aren't affecting how CBB feels and looks, but having a baby in the house likely tires him out even more.  CBB seems like the kind of guy who would help his wife with the baby-raising tasks.  If so, I'm sure he's pretty worn out by now... in the middle of football season.

Redhogs

You must not have kids.
I have raised four, all successful in life, 2 graduating from the UofA with degrees.. At the same time I started and grew 2 businesses, was able to retire at 62.  This is one snowflake, *ussyfied society if having a kid is now an excuse to fail...boggles the mind. FYI..Bert didn't even have any kids his first 4 miserable years here. Unbelievable....