Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is 6-7 wins acceptable or non-acceptable for you this season?

Started by Ben, August 11, 2017, 04:02:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 16, 2017, 11:49:12 am
Who knows? You know the only major sport we get any respect in is baseball. And we struggle to get that. Unless you consider track & field major because of the Olympics.

BTW they will be the underdog in quite a few conference games. Half is still to be determined. And BTW if they're not underdogs in half of their games there's a reason for that. The basketball program is in a better state right now that the football program. Just saying...Carry on then.

Or the reason could be that the sec still sucks at basketball, and the Hogs still can;t do better than 2 ncaat appearances in 6 seasons.

BTW your candle at your alter for Mike is almost melted, better go light another.

And the baseball program does not struggle nationally, it is highly respected in that sport.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogcard1964

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 16, 2017, 07:12:04 am
Generally speaking, you are right, this needs to be a 9 win season, even if that includes a bowl win. What would instill a lot more confidence that we are headed in the right direction is if we won 9 in the regular season and a 10th game with a bowl win.

I don't believe that we can win less than 8 in the regular season and not have some questions that need to be answered about whether the program is headed in the right direction or not. But that is just my personal opinion.

It would probably be acceptable to win just 8 in the regular season if:
1. In every loss that we have, we are giving it 100% on every play and we are just beaten by better teams.
2. None of the losses come as a result of not making timely adjustments to what our opponents are doing.
3. We don't build leads in the first half and then don't show up in the second half...finish games.

I'd be meh with 9 overall, as it wouldn't necessarily be a step back.  10 takes the pressure off him for another season.

6-8 is unacceptable.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 11, 2017, 07:50:02 pm
What is the definition of "acceptable?"
our logo says "Uncommon"...to be Uncommon we'd have to win only 1 to 3 games or 10-12....that pretty much answers the question.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on August 16, 2017, 11:55:55 am
Or the reason could be that the sec still sucks at basketball, and the Hogs still can;t do better than 2 ncaat appearances in 6 seasons.

BTW your candle at your alter for Mike is almost melted, better go light another.

And the baseball program does not struggle nationally, it is highly respected in that sport.
1. So the SEC still sucks in basketball huh? Even after this past season? Makes sense to me too... ???
2. My candle for the basketball program (not Mike) is getting bigger and brighter.
3. When we were killing it in baseball toward the end of the season what did our highest ranking get up to? Exactly, we should have been top 10 after that run in the SEC tournament.

One thing you keep forgetting is that I like both Coach B and Mike. I want the both of them to succeed. Wish I could say the same about you.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 16, 2017, 12:53:03 pm
1. So the SEC still sucks in basketball huh? Even after this past season? Makes sense to me too... ???
2. My candle for the basketball program (not Mike) is getting bigger and brighter.
3. When we were killing it in baseball toward the end of the season what did our highest ranking get up to? Exactly, we should have been top 10 after that run in the SEC tournament.

One thing you keep forgetting is that I like both Coach B and Mike. I want the both of them to succeed. Wish I could say the same about you.

I wish you could talk football in mmqb and leave bball to jumpball, but your Mike above all attitude wont let you do that. So go back to jump ball and try to guess who the next great instater to tell Mike no will be.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on August 16, 2017, 01:03:40 pm
I wish you could talk football in mmqb and leave bball to jumpball, but your Mike above all attitude wont let you do that. So go back to jump ball and try to guess who the next great instater to tell Mike no will be.
I could have sworn you were the one that asked me were the basketball Hogs going to be underdogs in half of their games? See reply #151...But maybe I'm mistaken... :-\

I didn't wanna start talking about basketball you did. You asked me a question about basketball. Let's get back to football and your excuse making for it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 16, 2017, 01:10:29 pm
I could have sworn you were the one that asked me were the basketball Hogs going to be underdogs in half of their games? See reply #151...But maybe I'm mistaken... :-\

after you brought  Mike into it is reply 146, where you also felt the need to make it personal. I know you get bored in jumpball with the 2 other Mike fans that are left.

GRIMMHOG

Embrace the Pain

Youngsta71701

August 16, 2017, 01:14:48 pm #158 Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:25:22 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: hogsanity on August 16, 2017, 01:12:47 pm
after you brought  Mike into it is reply 146, where you also felt the need to make it personal. I know you get bored in jumpball with the 2 other Mike fans that are left.
It's football season now. I'm on to MMQB and your protect Beilema at all cost agenda. Like I said I root for both of them an want all of the Arkansas coaches to succeed so there's not much you can throw at me. I'm a big supporter of whoever the coach is at that time. But I will give my honest opinion of either of them. I give them credit when they deserve credit and I criticize them when they deserve criticism. Nothing more nothing less. And I'm not one that believes you can blame everything on the coach. Win or lose. Doesn't work that way. Coaches coach and players play.

In the end I'm just a HUGE optimistic hog fan no matter the sport. I'm optimistic until I don't have a reason to be. And even then I'm still optimistic.

WilsonHog

An "average" football program.

Well, I will agree that over the last 25 years we have been an average football program, in the best conference in CFB. If we were in the Big XII and averaged 1-2 more wins a year over the last 25 years, would that mean that we were a better program than we have been in the SEC?

Any discussion of average, to be fair, has to factor in the conference we're a member of.

Headhog32

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 16, 2017, 08:48:00 pm

Well, I will agree that over the last 25 years we have been an average football program, in the best conference in CFB. If we were in the Big XII and averaged 1-2 more wins a year over the last 25 years, would that mean that we were a better program than we have been in the SEC?

Any discussion of average, to go fair, has to factor in the conference we're a member of.
I don't think so. take a team in the big XII winning 8-9 maybe 10 wins a season put them in the SEC where you play Alabama every year, thats 1 loss right there. then facing a team ranked in the top 25 nearly every week.

Al Boarland

Any discussion of average, to go fair, has to factor in the conference we're a member of.

With CBB's philosophy and recruiting in the 20's we could do very well in the Big XII and it would be a program everyone could be proud of.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 16, 2017, 09:57:34 pm
With CBB's philosophy and recruiting in the 20's we could do very well in the Big XII and it would be a program everyone could be proud of.
How bout we just recreate the old SWC...

The OTR

I'm fine with 6 wins or more.  Some of you should be too.  I'm disgusted by some of the expectations and comments here.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on August 17, 2017, 07:51:39 am
I'm fine with 6 wins or more.  Some of you should be too.  I'm disgusted by some of the expectations and comments here.
Sarcasm... ???

jst01

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 17, 2017, 07:56:48 am
Sarcasm... ???

he's gotta be trying to get this thread to go to 6+ pages... nobody truly believes 2-6 in the conference would be fine

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 17, 2017, 07:47:31 am
How bout we just recreate the old SWC...

Sadly some here would be very happy with that. Some would be happy to play Texas 12 times, or maybe even just a one game season where the Hogs play Texas on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Hoggish1

hogcard1964

True, but we're actually a bit below "average".

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jst01 on August 17, 2017, 07:59:32 am
he's gotta be trying to get this thread to go to 6+ pages... nobody truly believes 2-6 in the conference would be fine
IKR, I hope he's joking anyways.

Ex-Trumpet

I guess it depends on your perspective...as a fan, 6-7 wins is totally unacceptable. 

As a parent of a student athlete, 6-7 wins and a degree--without injuries--could be  very acceptable.

And if you base the season on profitability, 6-7 wins may be good enough as we would be going to a bowl, raising revenue for the SEC.  (And hitting up the donors raising revenue even higher).
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Sweet Feet

EulessHog

1964, 1969.

I can't express how disappointed we all should be.  Ashamed.

Somewhere along the line a fellow named Jeff Long came along and thought dollars were more important than homegrown talent bursting through the top levels of competition.

We now fight a futile game of who is to blame.  What is more important, loyalty to the current administration or the pursuit of higher goals?

Hogville is a mess.  The forum administrators are as bad as they have ever been.  Its almost like they are part of the problem with their small minded, backwards way of thinking.

Go Hogs Go!

zerose

Peering inside the magic crystal 8-ball in the dark confines of a spider hole.

hogsanity

Quote from: EulessHog on November 18, 2017, 09:57:37 pm
1964, 1969.

I can't express how disappointed we all should be.  Ashamed.

Somewhere along the line a fellow named Jeff Long came along and thought dollars were more important than homegrown talent bursting through the top levels of competition.

We now fight a futile game of who is to blame.  What is more important, loyalty to the current administration or the pursuit of loftier goals?

Hogville is a mess.  The forum administrators are as bad as they have ever been.  Its almost like they are part of the problem with their small minded, backwards way of thinking.

Funny you mention small minded backwards way of thinking, yet you think the answer is homegrown talent, which is about as small minded and backwards as it gets.

popcornhog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 18, 2017, 09:59:22 pm
Funny you mention small minded backwards way of thinking, yet you think the answer is homegrown talent, which is about as small minded and backwards as it gets.

Lol. I was thinking the same thing.
WPS

hogsanity

Quote from: popcornhog on November 18, 2017, 10:19:56 pm
Lol. I was thinking the same thing.

I just can not believe how many people think the answer is just getting more in state players and hiring a coach and AD that have Arkansas ties and " understand the state and the south ", just makes no sense at all.

jkstock04

Quote from: hawganatic on August 15, 2017, 05:20:56 pm
We gave away two games we should have won last season.  This team, with all it's flaws, still had the ability to win 9.  Assuming whatever went wrong in those two games has been corrected, there is no reason to think that this year's team can't win 9 +.

We have:

1.  Senior QB with a year starting under his belt
2.  An offensive line that was pieced together last season with more experience
3.  Said offensive line being captained by the best center in the nation
4.  A running back who I think is going to be the next big name player in the conference
5.  What appears to be a pretty good freshman and a well seasoned SEC running back running behind said running back
6.  A serious upgrade at the defensive coordinator position, who won't tie his players down with a generic base set that he never gets out of
7.  A new defensive scheme that the players seem to be buying into and will give them more freedom to do what they do

I'm excited about this season.  I see at least 8 wins on the schedule (3 cupcakes, TCU, Ole Miss, Miss State, SC, and MO), and think we break A&Ms win stream against us for 9.   

Going to be a fun season.  I hope some of you can lighten up and actually enjoy it.

This is probably my favorite post of the thread.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on November 18, 2017, 09:59:22 pm

Homegrown talent is central to our success as a football program. Whats backwards is you that think we are going to go outside Arkansas and out recruit a lot of schools for the best talent.  We must get the very best from Arkansas at all times but we are also going to have to take a flyer on a homegrown kid now and again.  When we talk about a redshirted program it's Arkansas kids that will also be the most populous, greyshirts same thing.  These kids that stay hungry for five years MUST have a reason and there is no better reason than " loving that helmet".

Hogsanity, you have been preaching the same sermon for a long time and the current staff were believers.  How has that improved anything?  We will never be great trying to "out Bama" at anything and that includes recruiting outside Arkansas.  We can and do ADD good players from outside our borders but that will never be enough unless we get equal or better from within our borders.  It should alway be about equal.

emdavenp

Football czar Tom Coughlin said it best - "if you're not here to win, what the hell are you doing here?"