Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry has officially decommited

Started by BannerMountainMan, June 24, 2017, 05:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2017, 12:04:07 pm
We have gotten exactly what I expected we would get when he was hired. What I can't believe, in a sport where we have had ALOT of past success, that so many are fine with having what we have. NCAAT once every 3 seasons. And the ONLY reason they accept that is because they get to see Mike on the sideline.

we are starting to repeat ourselves now so i will probably move on but basically.

1. No one is fine with not winning it all, but there can be only 1 winner.
2. our past success was in a different era, this is a new world with new challenges. we tainted our great history in how the firing of Nolan went down.
3.  There is nothing that can be done about the past, but that does not mean that we don't go on a run of 15 straight NCAA's you have no one has any idea what will happen next year or any year after that.
4.  I have not met these people who idolize Mike to such a degree, but i am sure they exist just like the Nutt huggers exist, Petrinites, etc. there is definitely a particular type of human that seems to idol worship above all else you see it everyday.
5. The only thing i have accepted is that i prefer a clean program as oppose to a dirty one regardless of the end result.  While i believe that these two things are not mutually exclusive, i am observant enough to know that running a clean program and winning it all is a very difficult thing to do, made even harder by everything in our world today.  Twitter, handlers, hero ball, 1 and dones, devaluing of higher education, etc. etc....

rwspear

Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2017, 12:04:07 pm
We have gotten exactly what I expected we would get when he was hired. What I can't believe, in a sport where we have had ALOT of past success, that so many are fine with having what we have. NCAAT once every 3 seasons. And the ONLY reason they accept that is because they get to see Mike on the sideline.

weve been 2 of the last 3 seasons. what team are you watching

hogsanity

Quote from: rwspear on July 26, 2017, 02:16:16 pm
weve been 2 of the last 3 seasons. what team are you watching

The one that's been two of the last 6.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2017, 02:19:52 pm
The one that's been two of the last 6.

You really can't see that your critique is over the top can you? Did you have the same expectations for Heath or Pelphrey? I know Pel went to the NCCAT his first year so I guess that makes him a better coach than Mike, Stan, Sutton or Nolan. How many top 100-200 player in their right mind would have signed with MA his first 2 years here! The program and it's reputation were in shambles. He had to take some chances and they didn't pan out and we ended up paying the price in 2015. Yes we are still losing big time recruits to powerhouse programs (Perry the exception) but recruiting has gotten better. Why not just let it go? The program is trending up for the last three years we've won more games than anyone in the SEC other than Kentucky. Focusing on something that shoulda, coulda happen 3-4 years ago is the definition of hatin.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 26, 2017, 03:20:54 pm
You really can't see that your critique is over the top can you? Did you have the same expectations for Heath or Pelphrey? I know Pel went to the NCCAT his first year so I guess that makes him a better coach than Mike, Stan, Sutton or Nolan. How many top 100-200 player in their right mind would have signed with MA his first 2 years here! The program and it's reputation were in shambles. He had to take some chances and they didn't pan out and we ended up paying the price in 2015. Yes we are still losing big time recruits to powerhouse programs (Perry the exception) but recruiting has gotten better. Why not just let it go? The program is trending up for the last three years we've won more games than anyone in the SEC other than Kentucky. Focusing on something that shoulda, coulda happen 3-4 years ago is the definition of hatin.
He dwells in the past just to show his dislike for CMA. Funny he doesn't hold his football coach to the same gaudy standards. Huh... :-\
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 26, 2017, 03:20:54 pm

didn't Mike have one of the highest rated classes the hogs have ever had in his 1st signing class?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 26, 2017, 04:06:37 pm
He dwells in the past just to show his dislike for CMA. Funny he doesn't hold his football coach to the same gaudy standards. Huh... :-\

nor do Mike's pr crew give BB the leeway they give Mike even though it is about 10 times as hard to build a football program where you need dozens of players to have proper depth, and the sec in football is 10 times the league it is in basketball.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2017, 09:46:07 pm
didn't Mike have one of the highest rated classes the hogs have ever had in his 1st signing class?

His first year he basically held serve with what was already committed. The second year he signed 5 none was ranked higher than 3 star Coty Clarke probably was the best in the class coming in but Qualls developed into the best player overall. Bell developed into a good player also. Solid class but no not world beaters.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2017, 09:46:07 pm
Those weren't his players he just honored their commitments because they are already on board. Two of those players for sure didn't fit his philosophy. Believe it or not fit matters.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2017, 09:47:40 pm
nor do Mike's pr crew give BB the leeway they give Mike even though it is about 10 times as hard to build a football program where you need dozens of players to have proper depth, and the sec in football is 10 times the league it is in basketball.
If you were to check out plenty of MMQ post of mines you would see that me personally have just as much patience with Beilema than I do with Anderson. Maybe more. Because I understand both of their situations currently and both of the situations when they took over. Personally I like them both and believe both of them will be ok with enough time. Can't speak for the rest. And I do criticize the both of them when I think they deserve it. You know you can criticize a coach without wanting them gone or without losing faith in them. You do know that right?

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 27, 2017, 07:57:10 am
You know you can criticize a coach without wanting them gone or without losing faith in them. You do know that right?

Except in Jump ball, here any criticism means you hate the coach, are a racist, and have unrealistic expectations.

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 27, 2017, 07:52:56 am
Those weren't his players he just honored their commitments because they are already on board. Two of those players for sure didn't fit his philosophy. Believe it or not fit matters.

Fit especially matters when the coach refuses to change what e does until times are extremely desperate.

He kept that class because all the players were highly rated, and most were in staters. Matter of fact, that class was so highly rated it was the only reason there was trepidation about letting Pelphrey go, fear of losing the class at a time when putting together a whole new class would have been a disaster.

Swinesong1

Can this get locked please?  Reggie Perry is gone and this thread is just another example of the same posters spewing the same tiresome nonsense. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Swinesong1 on July 27, 2017, 10:52:52 am
Can this get locked please?  Reggie Perry is gone and this thread is just another example of the same posters spewing the same tiresome nonsense. 

there is always the option of not clicking on the thread.

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogsanity on July 27, 2017, 10:57:02 am

there is always the option of not clicking on the thread.
. Why are you here?  Better yet, why are you allowed to be here?  There's criticism and there's obsession.  You [CENSORED] and whined throughout the first tourney season and have not stopped. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 27, 2017, 10:05:18 am
Except in Jump ball, here any criticism means you hate the coach, are a racist, and have unrealistic expectations.

Fit especially matters when the coach refuses to change what e does until times are extremely desperate.

He kept that class because all the players were highly rated, and most were in staters. Matter of fact, that class was so highly rated it was the only reason there was trepidation about letting Pelphrey go, fear of losing the class at a time when putting together a whole new class would have been a disaster.

More evidence that your criticism is motivated by personal issues. What coach takes over a new team and then revokes scholarships of the incoming class? Yes the class was solid but not for his style of play. The class he inherited was pretty solid. Headlined by B.J Young and Ky Madden. In the end Abron, Mickleson, and Ross never panned out. Young left the program after getting some terrible advice (and lack of discipline). So that class ended up not being much help.

Most good coaches don't change their basic philosophy no matter what players want. Sutton didn't and neither did Nolan. That's not putting MA on the same level as those guys it's just a basic quality of good coaching.

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 27, 2017, 11:50:15 am
More evidence that your criticism is motivated by personal issues. What coach takes over a new team and then revokes scholarships of the incoming class? Yes the class was solid but not for his style of play. The class he inherited was pretty solid. Headlined by B.J Young and Ky Madden. In the end Abron, Mickleson, and Ross never panned out. Young left the program after getting some terrible advice (and lack of discipline). So that class ended up not being much help.

Most good coaches don't change their basic philosophy no matter what players want. Sutton didn't and neither did Nolan. That's not putting MA on the same level as those guys it's just a basic quality of good coaching.

I did not say he should have not taken them, but the ncaa has been pretty good about letting basketball players out of loi's when there is a coaching change, so he had to re-recruit them, which he did instead of trying to find his type of players. Go back, if it is possible, and look at the posts here about that class and about people on pins a needles hoping Mike could hold that class together.

And I did not say change what you do because the players want you to change. I am talking about changing because of what they do best. Last years team was much more suited to playing zone on D, but it took 4 terrible losses before Mike, in a desperate move trailing at half time at LSU FINALLY all but gave up on the pressure/trap/give up dunks and layups and get in foul trouble "style" and went to a zone which saved the season and possibly his job. 

Youngsta71701

July 27, 2017, 11:59:51 am #616 Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 07:33:27 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: zebradynasty on July 27, 2017, 11:50:15 am

Exactly, every coach has their preferred style of play and won't change it unless they have to. Believe it or not all the great coaches are the same way. He must think a zebra changes their stripes?

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 27, 2017, 11:55:41 am
I did not say he should have not taken them, but the ncaa has been pretty good about letting basketball players out of loi's when there is a coaching change, so he had to re-recruit them, which he did instead of trying to find his type of players. Go back, if it is possible, and look at the posts here about that class and about people on pins a needles hoping Mike could hold that class together.

And I did not say change what you do because the players want you to change. I am talking about changing because of what they do best. Last years team was much more suited to playing zone on D, but it took 4 terrible losses before Mike, in a desperate move trailing at half time at LSU FINALLY all but gave up on the pressure/trap/give up dunks and layups and get in foul trouble "style" and went to a zone which saved the season and possibly his job.

Your timeline is way off. Mike didn't take the job until spring March or April 2011. How many quality players would have been available at that point. Most likely players with high academic risk and UA was still recovering from the APR disaster.

So you've torpedoed the entire season 36 games over 4 games... ??? But somehow you want us to believe you're being reasonable!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: 311Hog on July 25, 2017, 05:05:04 pm
Well i for one have never crowned Mike with anything other than he seems like a good man and has had by most measures good to great success a coach in his career.  He is not a HOF'r but a good coach at this point.

In basketball would it be fair to say we over achieved during that 30 year run and are now suffering the yang of that 30 years of success with almost 30 years of almost no success? sure does look like the scales evening out to me.  Nothing about our state screams amazing in terms of athletic talent production, that is a numbers game and in that we lose always.  Outliers will always appear, but are often evened back out over time that is the point i was trying to make.  Maybe we are coming into a new 30 year run of success it all goes in cycles.
Here's the simple truth:

For 30 years, we had two truly GREAT coaches.

Since then, we haven't.

I thought for a long time that we deserved it(the fans, the program, the facilities). It was 'us', the Razorback program that was going to be successful always.

But it's never worked like that, and never will. The programs who win a lot have the best coaches. It's quite simple, yet people make it complicated. And we haven't had that caliber of coach since those two guys left.

hogsanity

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on July 27, 2017, 12:45:17 pm
Exactly
And it would be now, let's see, 1974-2017 = 43 years.
We would be working on a run of Sutton/Richardson/Self if John White would have gotten out of the way and we hired the best available coach in 2002, which was Bill Self, who wanted the job at the time, but wasn't going to come and publicly interview on campus as White insisted everyone do(That's not how big-time coaching hires work, John)
Every time I type that I sigh deeply. Very painful.

LR_Matt

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 27, 2017, 07:52:56 am

"Fit", "system" and "his players" are code worlds for "he can't coach those kids", FYI.

What's with all the clean program tak also, did y'all miss the whole counterfeit scandals LOL. Selective memory because we made the NCAAT.... I get it.

texas tush hog

Youngsta71701

August 12, 2017, 07:34:58 am #623 Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:15:19 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: LR_Matt on August 11, 2017, 03:26:53 pm
"Fit", "system" and "his players" are code worlds for "he can't coach those kids", FYI.

What's with all the clean program tak also, did y'all miss the whole counterfeit scandals LOL. Selective memory because we made the NCAAT.... I get it.
So coach Anderson told Beard and Williams to spend counterfeit money? Hmm, interesting. I had know idea he was the ring leader of that. New facts come out everyday.

JayBell

Quote from: LR_Matt on August 11, 2017, 03:26:53 pmWhat's with all the clean program tak also, did y'all miss the whole counterfeit scandals LOL. Selective memory because we made the NCAAT.... I get it.

Good luck finding a tougher critic of Anderson on Hogville than me, but this is ludicrous.  The reason you instantly point to the counterfeit incident is because it is such an outlier under Anderson.

And, unlike countless other programs, the players suffered real consequences.  They were all suspended and one was dismissed.

So, yes, as a fan and an alum, I like that Anderson runs a clean program that emphasizes academics as team members earn good grades and receive their degrees.