Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Building your fantasy team for the next decade to 15 years

Started by ucahogfan, May 08, 2013, 09:09:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dhornjr1

Quote from: clutch on August 04, 2013, 09:32:20 pm
They say specializing in a sport too early hampers your athletic ability. No idea if that's true, but that is their theory for saying kids should play all sports. Makes them better athletes.

I say if you really wanted your kid to be a great athlete, have them pick the sport they like the most and just have them do gymnastics on the side. They may get laughed at, but gymnastics will make them a much better athlete. I know I wish I would have done it when I was a kid.

I remember seeing Lynn Swann on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood when I was a little kid. He was on there to tell about how he was a practicing ballet dancer and about how it helped him with being more agile for football.

http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/mrn/episodes/1484/index.html

Ray Piggers

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 04, 2013, 10:48:45 pm
Wouldn't Tavares also be a wait and see type player as well?  Prospects don't always pan out at the major league level and Tavares has never faced MLB pitching like Profar has.  Tavares is projected to be a stud, but that could never happen.

He's been connected to the likes of Yadi and Pujols from those inside the organization. Profar has been hyped up, and will likely be used as trade bait. I know Elvis just signed a huge extension, and they have Ian Kinsler, but if they've been hyping him so much, why are they so quick to talk trades regarding him?

Oscar has hit everywhere he's been, Profar has NEVER batted over .286 at any level.

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

clutch

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on August 04, 2013, 11:04:55 pm
He's been connected to the likes of Yadi and Pujols from those inside the organization. Profar has been hyped up, and will likely be used as trade bait. I know Elvis just signed a huge extension, and they have Ian Kinsler, but if they've been hyping him so much, why are they so quick to talk trades regarding him?

Oscar has hit everywhere he's been, Profar has NEVER batted over .286 at any level.

Profar isn't going to hit for the same numbers that Taveras is. You have to look at the value that each player brings though. Sure, Taveras is going to be great to have in the lineup. However, if you already have a ton of offensive production in the OF with guys like Craig and Holliday, but have virtually nothing from your SS wouldn't you be better served to use Taveras to upgrade your weak links?

Good hitting outfielders are a dime a dozen. It's hard to find a quality SS though. I still think Profar is going to be a good player. He's young. There are a lot of guys outside of the Rangers organization hyping him up too, there is probably a reason for that. That's why the Rangers are so quick to listen to trade talks about him. They are alright at SS for now and they know he could be valuable enough to shore up other positions that they are more in need of.

Sometimes you just have to give up guys who may turn out to be superstars to build an overall stronger team.

Same reason I wanted to see Pujols go even before I saw his drop in production. Amazing talent, but if you payed him what he wanted you have an overall weaker team. Sometimes the superstar just isn't worth it.

ucahogfan

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on August 04, 2013, 11:04:55 pm

Andrus and Kinsler are both signed long-term and they are blocking his path.  Profar is a MIF by trade while the Rangers have their MIF signed for the foreseeable future.  Why keep him in the organization when he could bring a top talent in like the Royals did with Wil Myers before the season?

Why wouldn't an organization compare a top prospect like Tavares to Pujols or Molina?  It would just be unwise on their part.  Prospects are never a given.  Who in the Braves organization would have thought that Freeman would be better than J-Hey right now?

And Profar was aggressively pushed through the system making his MLB debut at 19.  He was probably the youngest player in every single stop he made.  Plus, I have made it clear that Tavares is a better player offensively.  Profar is faster and will be a better defender than Tavares.  Both have All-Star potential.

It just seems like you want me to say that Tavares is head and shoulders above Profar and is a HOF lock like Pujols is and Molina is quickly becoming.  I will never admit that.  That is just blatant homerism from a Cards fan which is understandable.  I would be the same way with the top prospects in the Braves organization.

Is Tavares on the Cards 40 man yet?

Ray Piggers

Haha, I don't want you to say that. I just reeally like Tavares and don't want to see him go. I would love to have Profar, he's going to be an above average MLB player most likely, but to hear guys speak of Tavares as being a potential batting champ for years, it'd be tough to see him go. Beltran and Holliday won't be around for too too much longer (Beltran maybe even as soon as this offseason), and Craig is 29 so it's not like we have a ton of quality OF's who will be around for 5-10 more years.

I've heard he is supposed to be a September call up once his ankle injury is 100%, but he is not on the 40 man.

This is from May, but discusses the confusion about the of and getting ab's for guys. Too much talent isn't a bad thing, I guess. It's confusing I'll say that.

Mentions Tavares has been getting work in CF

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-bytes-does-beltran-have-a-future-with-cards/article_fe2a81ee-47c8-53e7-be01-15ac609ab879.html

ucahogfan

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on August 05, 2013, 10:44:45 pm
Haha, I don't want you to say that. I just reeally like Tavares and don't want to see him go. I would love to have Profar, he's going to be an above average MLB player most likely, but to hear guys speak of Tavares as being a potential batting champ for years, it'd be tough to see him go. Beltran and Holliday won't be around for too too much longer (Beltran maybe even as soon as this offseason), and Craig is 29 so it's not like we have a ton of quality OF's who will be around for 5-10 more years.

I've heard he is supposed to be a September call up once his ankle injury is 100%, but he is not on the 40 man.

This is from May, but discusses the confusion about the of and getting ab's for guys. Too much talent isn't a bad thing, I guess. It's confusing I'll say that.

Mentions Tavares has been getting work in CF

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-bytes-does-beltran-have-a-future-with-cards/article_fe2a81ee-47c8-53e7-be01-15ac609ab879.html
Giving up a player like Tavares would hurt any organization to do, but Profar was a higher rated prospect even when Tavares was raking and Profar was struggling.  Profar's ceiling is that high.

I don't really like the idea of teams moving corner OFs to CF unless they have great speed like Atlanta did with J-Hey while BJ was out.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 05, 2013, 11:01:42 pm
Giving up a player like Tavares would hurt any organization to do, but Profar was a higher rated prospect even when Tavares was raking and Profar was struggling.  Profar's ceiling is that high.

I don't really like the idea of teams moving corner OFs to CF unless they have great speed like Atlanta did with J-Hey while BJ was out.

I agree, doesn't appear they want it to be long term. Which may mean they're maybe thinking of trading Jay.

Could be reading it wrong, but why else would he be getting work in center..

"They've been working him in center field at Triple A Memphis. GM John Mozeliak believes Taveras can handle CF early in his career, until his body begins to naturally bulk up. "

clutch

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on August 06, 2013, 10:48:42 pm

I agree, doesn't appear they want it to be long term. Which may mean they're maybe thinking of trading Jay.

Could be reading it wrong, but why else would he be getting work in center..

"They've been working him in center field at Triple A Memphis. GM John Mozeliak believes Taveras can handle CF early in his career, until his body begins to naturally bulk up. "

I'd have to think that was their only option if they are going to keep him and Adams and plan to make both of them everyday players. Holliday is under a big contract and they just recently signed Craig to a new 5 year deal, although it was only for $31 million. I would have to think they plan on keeping Craig around.

I've heard that Beltran won't be signed again, which I figured. There is one spot open. If they plan on putting Adams into the everyday lineup Craig will take that spot. That leaves trading Jay as the only option for Taveras. I don't think he's a CF, but they have been working him there so obviously they are giving it a lot of thought.

I could see them sticking him there and waiting out Hollidays contract. Although I'm not really sure I like weakening the OF like that. I could maybe see them trying to trade Holliday in a few years to a team that wants him as a DH.

dhornjr1

Quote from: clutch on August 07, 2013, 08:30:03 am
I'd have to think that was their only option if they are going to keep him and Adams and plan to make both of them everyday players. Holliday is under a big contract and they just recently signed Craig to a new 5 year deal, although it was only for $31 million. I would have to think they plan on keeping Craig around.

I've heard that Beltran won't be signed again, which I figured. There is one spot open. If they plan on putting Adams into the everyday lineup Craig will take that spot. That leaves trading Jay as the only option for Taveras. I don't think he's a CF, but they have been working him there so obviously they are giving it a lot of thought.

I could see them sticking him there and waiting out Hollidays contract. Although I'm not really sure I like weakening the OF like that. I could maybe see them trying to trade Holliday in a few years to a team that wants him as a DH.

I'd love for them to get rid of Holliday, but they would have to assume a good portion of his salary if they did.

clutch

Quote from: dhornjr1 on August 07, 2013, 01:24:22 pm
I'd love for them to get rid of Holliday, but they would have to assume a good portion of his salary if they did.

I don't hate Holliday like most Cards fans seem too. He's a liability in LF, but he's still a top tier hitter. I like having him.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 04, 2013, 10:48:45 pm
Wouldn't Tavares also be a wait and see type player as well?  Prospects don't always pan out at the major league level and Tavares has never faced MLB pitching like Profar has.  Tavares is projected to be a stud, but that could never happen.
Absolutely true, which is a risk with these "dynasty" draft scenarios. I tend to take an extra risk due to the extra upside.

USA Today used to do a Top 100 names (50 pitchers, 50 position players) "you need to know" for the current year. They were not always big prospects but guys who would likely get a chance that year to contribute, and thus would do more than an uber-prospect in A-ball. So, it's like, say, taking David Lough (KC OF) over Bubba Starling (KC OF in A-ball): Lough has a lower career ceiling but is up contributing right now.

Tavares is a big unknown with a truckload of hype trailing behind him.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra