Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas Rangers 2016

Started by DeltaBoy, February 18, 2016, 09:20:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2016, 09:10:56 pm
Clutch, I can guarantee you whoever your team is wouldnt feel the same way.

And that's all that really matters here.

I don't disagree, and that's a problem in my opinion. I just don't think it should be seen as an appropriate response to get mad enough to potentially injure a player just because they did something exceptionally well and got excited about it.

If you have a dirty player who has taken out your shortstop a couple times for no reason other than to try to take out your shortstop is one thing. There's a time when you have to send a message to protect your players. You're not protecting your players though when you are throwing at someone on purpose for bat flipping. In fact, you are putting more players in danger. That is clear from this game. They drill Bautista because he bat flipped, last year, which is even crazier than if they would have done it had he bat flipped on them in the previous at bat or something. This causes him to retaliate by trying to take out Odor, thus putting another player in danger. Careers get ended over stupid stuff like this and it just shouldn't be that way.

I think I should make it clear that I didn't have a problem with the punch. If I were Odor I would have done the exact same thing. Bautista came in hot at 2nd with the attempt to take him out. He should get decked for that. What I have a problem with is the intentionally hitting another player with a pitch, specifically a fastball, because you are mad that he bat flipped on you 7 months ago. 

Dr. Starcs

I get your point clutch.

Not that they would admit it, but the rangers are saying the bean ball was unintentional.

It was a 1-run game in the 8th inning and encarnacion was on deck.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 16, 2016, 06:09:51 pm
I honestly don't mind the bat-flips. I do think pitchers need to protect their batters though. If a pitcher is wild and hits a couple of your guys, hit the pitcher and show them how it feels. That's one reason I like the NL.

You explain to me with your NL ball why relief pitchers don't hit either? Don't they get pinch hit for like 90% of the time?

My problem with you NL guys (who's games should be in black and white) is you look at pitchers hitting in the first 6 innings then it's pinch hitting for relievers. Matt Bush is a reliever so he wouldn't bat.

clutch

Quote from: Captain Morgan on May 17, 2016, 12:41:47 am
You explain to me with your NL ball why relief pitchers don't hit either? Don't they get pinch hit for like 90% of the time?

My problem with you NL guys (who's games should be in black and white) is you look at pitchers hitting in the first 6 innings then it's pinch hitting for relievers. Matt Bush is a reliever so he wouldn't bat.

Relief pitchers don't hit much because of strategy. Relief pitchers aren't conditioned to throw long outings so they aren't going to be in the game long anyways. If you are about to pull them then you might as well bat for them. That's one thing I love about the NL. There's a lot more strategy involved just because of this situation. You bring a guy in to get you out of a jam and he looks good, like he has another inning in him, but he's due up 2nd in the batting order. Are you better off hitting for him and taking the chance that the next guy can step in and do his job or are you going to concede the out and go with the hot hand. Then after the leadoff guy bats your strategy can completely change. Maybe the leadoff guy gets on, so you have to decide now do you leave the pitcher in to bunt the runner over, or bring in a PH and hope he can come up big with a hit after sitting on the bench for 7 innings? Maybe the leadoff guy gets out, what do you have left available to PH with? A guy you feel good about getting a hit or somebody who is probably going to get out? If that's the case then maybe you leave the pitcher in since you will more than likely be in a situation with 2 outs and nobody on.

There's just a lot more to think about management wise. It's a lot easier to just roll a DH out there. The DH definitely brings more offense to the game, but I prefer the strategic style of baseball. I also believe that to be a good baseball player you should be able to both hit and field a position adequately, unless you are a pitcher, then you just don't get enough at bats to realistically be a good hitter.

Full disclosure, I may be a hypocrite for saying all of this. I take full advantage of the DH in high school baseball, which allows me to both improve my team defensively and offensively. I would prefer that the rule wasn't in place, but as long as it is I'm going to take full advantage to give my team the best opportunity at winning.

userpick

The bat flip was pretty annoying as a Rangers fan, but in the moment I can forgive that. What I can't forgive was the stare down he gave to Dyson after hitting that home run. Also, Bautista said all off season that he knew revenge was coming his way and when it happened, he would act like a professional because it's simply part of the game. Well he got hit with a pitch and that should've been the end of it. He decided to try to take out odor with a slide and that was the wrong thing to do. He learned the hard way you don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Also, it's pretty telling to me that several former baseball players publicly commented thanking Odor for throwing the punch. Bautista is a guy no one likes and he got his world rocked by a 5'8 22 year old.

Dr. Starcs

That's what I'm talking about userpick.

Glad you voiced your opinion.

Captain Morgan

GolfNut57

Glad it isn't my tax money they are wasting. They just built that one back in 93. So now they want a new one that has AC?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 20, 2016, 02:00:33 pm
Glad it isn't my tax money they are wasting. They just built that one back in 93. So now they want a new one that has AC?

Yep 1 billion dollar stadium

DeltaBoy

Nice Sweep of the boys from Houston.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dr. Starcs

Darvish back should help immensely.

Fielder is killing them at the plate right now. Needs to get going.

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 29, 2016, 08:56:38 am

Fielder has been Ryan Howard bad. Not looking like a good contract right now.

pigture perfect

Prince was pretty good for a couple of years, but definitely not worth the money he's getting.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 29, 2016, 08:56:38 am

We have to find a spot for Profar when Odor comes back. I'm hearing he has been taking grounders at 1B and shagging balls in LF before each game.

I didn't understand the move to call Gallo up for a week and only giving him one at bat  Moreland and Prince are statistically the worst two starting players at their position so maybe Profar and Gallo make an impact in the very near future.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 29, 2016, 10:53:48 pm
Prince was pretty good for a couple of years, but definitely not worth the money he's getting.

He's still got quite a few years on his contract though I think. I think I'd rather have Gallo hitting in the DH spot if I were a Rangers fan.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: clutch on May 30, 2016, 12:22:11 pm
He's still got quite a few years on his contract though I think. I think I'd rather have Gallo hitting in the DH spot if I were a Rangers fan.
JD is going to have to trade off either Prince or Choo. I think you would have to get rid of a prospect and the better the prospect; the less amount of money you take on from one of those two.

Profar is here to stay I believe now. It might be a super utility role but he is the leadoff hitter.

Nomar Mazara is the best young player I've seen come up with the Rangers since Pudge. This guy is running away with Rookie of the Year but when do we start talking MVP discussion with this kid?

Dr. Starcs

Nice sweep of Seattle to give the Rangers the best record in the AL.

Fielder was benched for Saturday and Sundays game. He said he understood why, but was disappointed by it. Something to keep an eye on. Hopefully the days off will give him a chance to figure some things out and get going.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 06, 2016, 11:58:07 am
Nice sweep of Seattle to give the Rangers the best record in the AL.

Fielder was benched for Saturday and Sundays game. He said he understood why, but was disappointed by it. Something to keep an eye on. Hopefully the days off will give him a chance to figure some things out and get going.

Jurickson Profar!

Dr. Starcs

I know they'll hit a slump at some point, but what a series in stl this weekend.

pigture perfect

The Rangers just found a way to win each day. That was us last year.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dr. Starcs

All 3 were great games. 1 run difference in each.

Dr. Starcs

Rangers going for broke adding Beltran and Lucroy today.
I like the moves, but did they need more starting pitching?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: clutch on May 30, 2016, 12:22:11 pm

Sheesh.... I watched Gallo hit in the minors(Frisco Roughriders) for the past two years....  I knew he would get the call sooner than later....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

clutch

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 01, 2016, 05:25:05 pm
Sheesh.... I watched Gallo hit in the minors(Frisco Roughriders) for the past two years....  I knew he would get the call sooner than later....

He can definitely smash it.

Dr. Starcs

Problem is he strikes out 2 out of 3 at bats.

TX HOG

Now that they are "all in" on a WS bid, I wish I had cable

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 01, 2016, 06:37:36 pm
Problem is he strikes out 2 out of 3 at bats.

That's the knock against him for sure. Surely he will figure out how to cut that down eventually.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: clutch on August 01, 2016, 09:35:37 pm
That's the knock against him for sure. Surely he will figure out how to cut that down eventually.
Regardless, according to Dallas Morning News today, he's being bounced back down to the minors (Frisco Roughriders) to make room for the new players that the Rangers just acquired.........

Captain Morgan

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 02, 2016, 09:24:43 am
Regardless, according to Dallas Morning News today, he's being bounced back down to the minors (Frisco Roughriders) to make room for the new players that the Rangers just acquired.........
how was JD able to hang onto Profar is what makes him brilliant

Dr. Starcs

Now need to win 'em a dang World Series.

How do you feel about the starting pitching Capt?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 05, 2016, 03:54:45 pm
Now need to win 'em a dang World Series.

How do you feel about the starting pitching Capt?

We need to win the WS for Prince.

Captain Morgan

I enjoyed my time at the two Ranger wins at Coors Field

DLUXHOG

Still #1 in the AL and they begin a 3 game series with the Astros at home, starting tonight.    Go Rangers!

Razorback7281

Another 1 run win last night  35-10 in one run games.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Razorback7281 on September 20, 2016, 11:40:18 am
Another 1 run win last night  35-10 in one run games.

Pretty amazing stat.

Now they just need to take care of business tonight and clinch, then work on maintaining the home field advantage.

BoSox coming on strong right now, though.

bp

DLUXHOG

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 23, 2016, 09:20:18 pm
Pretty amazing stat.

Now they just need to take care of business tonight and clinch, then work on maintaining the home field advantage.

BoSox coming on strong right now, though.

bp

Rangers are leading 3-0, top of the 8th..........

southarkhog06

Not a good start for you guys.

DLUXHOG

They've absolutely blown this.....   just lost second at home.    They have to win both in Toronto to stay in the race, which is highly unlikely.    This was probably their last home game of the season......

Dr. Starcs

southarkhog06

Well take heart, if this was WWE you would have it won.

GolfNut57

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Dr. Starcs

It's what the rangers do best in the postseason.

Choking dogs.

hoglady

I'm sure disappointed.
This isn't how this was supposed to play out. I was set to go to Dallas for the ALCS to see the Rangers and Red Sox - a high school friend with Rangers season tickets called and offered me one of his tickets. (I'm a Red Sox). Rangers went out tonight, I fully expect the Red Sox to do the same tomorrow.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

SpeedyHog

Rangers has what I call the STL Cards curse. The Rangers chocked every  time they made the playoffs since that WS appearance back in 2011.
Call Me Trumpton.

EastexHawg

I saw the perfect banner hanging in Toronto...

"Better to be punched in May than knocked out in October"

Odor making the bad throw that allowed the series clinching run to score makes it a double ouch.

DeltaBoy

Rangers had the best record in Baseball and Choked the series with the Blue Jays away.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

southarkhog06

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 12, 2016, 08:20:21 am
Rangers had the best record in Baseball and Choked the series with the Blue Jays away.
Common Core math?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 12, 2016, 08:20:21 am
Rangers had the best record in the AL (2nd best in all of baseball).... Cubs had the best record in all of baseball.... but close enough (they still choked it).....

southarkhog06

Yall have got to get some rotation help for Hamels and Darvish.

Dr. Starcs

Hamels and Darvish sucked it up when it counted the most. But yes, I agree. Pitching needs help.