Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Openings

Started by WilsonHog, November 26, 2014, 10:47:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

November 26, 2014, 10:47:17 am Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:30:48 am by WilsonHog
It's almost that time of year again...

We'll use this thread to track all the movement.

Buffalo - Jeff Quinn (Fired). IN - Lance Leipold (Wisc.-Whitewater).

Colorado State - Jim McElwain (Florida HC). IN - Mike Bobo (Georgia OC).

Florida - Will Muschamp (Fired). IN - Jim McElwain (Colorado State).

Houston - Tony Levine (Fired). IN - Tom Herman (Ohio St. OC).

Kansas - Charlie Weis (Fired). IN - David Beaty (Texas A&M WR Coach).

Michigan - Brady Hoke (Fired). IN - Jim Harbaugh (San Francisco 49'ers).

Nebraska - Bo Pelini (Fired). IN - Mike Riley (Oregon State).

Oregon State - Mike Riley (Nebraska HC). IN - Gary Andersen (Wisconsin).

Pitt - Paul Chryst (Wisconsin). IN - Pat Narduzzi (Michigan St. DC).

SMU - June Jones (Resigned). IN - Chad Morris (OC, Clemson).

Troy - Larry Blakeney (Retiring). IN - Neal Brown (OC, Kentucky).

Tulsa - Bill Blankenship (Fired). IN - Phillip Monthomery (OC, Baylor).

UNLV - Bobby Hauck (Resigned). IN - Tony Sanchez (Bishop Gorman HS).

Wisconsin - Gary Andersen (Oregon State). IN - Paul Chryst (Pitt).

Horthawg

Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

PigTimePlayer

This is a great idea . . . thanks for creating the thread, will be fun to watch. I love the coaching carousel, especially when it's someone else team imploding and not ours.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

WilsonHog

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on November 26, 2014, 11:39:45 am
This is a great idea . . . thanks for creating the thread, will be fun to watch. I love the coaching carousel, especially when it's someone else team imploding and not ours.

You're welcome. We started this a couple of years ago. Makes for fun talk between Thanksgiving weekend and the bowl games.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Cave City Joe

Quote from: Horthawg on November 26, 2014, 11:19:05 am
Miles to Michigan maybe?
I really don't think Miles will go anywhere (hope not).  But if he ever does leave on his own this will be the move.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

rtr

I think the Michigan ship has sailed for Les.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

hvsupastar

I sure hope Petrino doesn't end up at Florida. I still think that's a top 3 job in the country
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

rtr

Quote from: hvsupastar on November 26, 2014, 03:55:06 pm
I sure hope Petrino doesn't end up at Florida. I still think that's a top 3 job in the country
Bobby needs to stay at Louisville, they have demonstrated great loyalty to him.  He needs to return it.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Lanny

ASTATE won't be looking for a coach this year
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

welchog

georgewbushog

JLS could be available. Just ran across this story from a couple of weeks ago. Sorry if already posted.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/11/14/john-l-smith-fort-lewis-skyhawks

Doug

Quote from: LannyASTATE won't be looking for a coach this year
This. I guaran-damn-tee it. How much? I'm willing to put my Admin status on the line. I'm willing to put my Twitter account (my personal one) on the line. Red Wolves have the coaching stability they want for the next few years.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Steef

Muschamp is gonna land in So Car as DC.

HogFanatic

Quote from: welchog on November 26, 2014, 06:16:00 pm
Kansas...SMU...who cares.

Charlie Weiss and June Jones are two pretty good coaches, IMO. Maybe not Head Coaches, but good coaches none the less.

Same with Muschamp. The guy can obviously coach defense pretty well.

All three of those guys should opt to coordinate instead of run the show, IMO.

wildhogman

I doubt Bobby ever coaches In the SEC again. But if he does maybe Aub.  Doubt Florida will take a chance that he becomes toxic there like he has in the past. Their AD cant take the chance after the muschamp fiasco.

Lanny

Quote from: Doug on November 26, 2014, 06:57:09 pm
This. I guaran-damn-tee it. How much? I'm willing to put my Admin status on the line. I'm willing to put my Twitter account (my personal one) on the line. Red Wolves have the coaching stability they want for the next few years.
and..........losing
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

goodguytex

So anyone hear of any real names out there for Florida? One guy I'm keeping an eye on to move to a big program is the HC of East Carolina. He's done a good job there. Runs a high octane offense. I have heard Frdora mentioned as a candidate for open programs. Not sure he needs to go anywhere until he's established himself more where he is.

Muschamp, I kind of hope he doesn't land as DC at an SEC school. He runs a tough defense. But if he does land somewhere, hopefully it would be at a school like Vandy or South Carolina.

Quickdraw

I've heard from some Florida fans they want Mike Gundy! They don't want anymore Defensive minded Head Coaches.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: welchog on November 26, 2014, 06:16:00 pm
Kansas...SMU...who cares.

I would imagine Kansas and SMU fans, all 10-12 of them ;D

opineonswine

@AndrewSpiveyGC: RT "@BstrawRadio: Source in Oxford confirms, that Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze has been offered the Florida job."

ChicoHog

Quote from: Quickdraw on November 27, 2014, 08:47:50 am
I've heard from some Florida fans they want Mike Gundy! They don't want anymore Defensive minded Head Coaches.
They can have him.  I think he would a good job there but not outstanding.  Same with Freeze.  It's all about the QB really.  That type of offense is dependent on a good dual threat QB.  Soon as Tebow was gone Urban Liar didn't look nearly as good. 

Doug

Can't believe I forgot about Blakeney. The man's been coaching longer than I've been alive (by one year)
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Augustus

No way Petrino gets the Florida job.

For one, his buyout at L'ville is way too large (from everything I've read, it's $10 Mil, if anyone has links to prove otherwise, please provide).

Two, Foley isn't going to risk his "legacy" on a coach that has a history like Petrino does?

Three, it would require Florida pay top dollar for a Defensive Coordinator, on top of the massive buyout for Petrino. Yes, Florida will have to pay for a solid Def Co. anyways; but again, we go back to price tag with regards to Petrino. (Related: how SCARY would a Petrino offense /Muschamp defense team at Florida be?)

Would Petrino take the Florida job? I would think so, even after all his "Louisville is my home/destination job at this point" talk.

But, I don't think Petrino is even on Foley's short list.  There's far better established & reliable coaches that a school like Florida can pull, than taking a chance on someone like Petrino.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Quickdraw on November 27, 2014, 08:47:50 am

Not sure how that would work out, if it even did.

Why it might not happen: Word is, Gundy and his family are very happy living in Stillwater, close to family, his hunting and fishing and loves his job.

Why it could happen: Gundy apparently has a relationship problem with his A.D., Mike Holder. Seems there has been a minor to major running feud between them for quite some time. I've heard that Gundy would like for his A.D. to stay out of the football program and the A.D. figures he should be involved. "It's MY program...No, it's MY program...NO, it's MY program! Sounds a little childish, doesn't it?

Recruiting wise: Gundy and his staff are "ok" recruiters but not "great" recruiters. Having to compete for players with a bevy of great recruiting staffs in the SEC in the deep south is definitely different than having to compete with just Baylor, TCU, OU and Texas. You at the very least, double your competition with a move to the SEC.

On the other hand, recruiting at Florida has to be a heck of a lot easier than trying to recruit to Okla. State and Stillwater.

Still, I just can't see Florida hiring Gundy, though for his ego (and leverage with his AD), I am sure he would love to have his name on the shortlist.
Go Hogs Go!

Might be time for Gus to make a move.  FLA, in my opinion, is a better job than Aubbie and right now its easier to win there.

Broadway Rob

I wonder with the slight struggle from HUNH offenses this year, if the luster is temporarily gone for coaches like Freeze and Malzahn.  Obviously Oregon is doing just fine but the point is the same.  Meerkat manor looks to be trending down this season.

Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Tim Harris

November 28, 2014, 07:27:19 am #27 Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:42:01 am by Tim Harris
It is being rumored on the net that Chad Morris will be the next HC at SMU. If that happens it is a very good hire for them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 28, 2014, 07:27:19 am
It is being rumored on the net that Chad Morris will. E the next HC at SMU. If that happens it is a very good hire for them.

Morris would be an exceptional hire for SMU.
Go Hogs Go!

Doug

Per Bruce Feldman...

Tulsa is expected to dismiss head coach Bill Blankenship this weekend, a source told FOX Sports. Coaching his last game there tonight.
--Doug

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: georgewbushog on November 26, 2014, 06:50:40 pm
JLS could be available. Just ran across this story from a couple of weeks ago. Sorry if already posted.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/11/14/john-l-smith-fort-lewis-skyhawks

I don't know...sounds like John L has found a good home.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Tim Harris

Buffalo is also open. Quinn got fired a couple weeks ago.

UNLV coach is set to resign on Monday.

Tulsa coach will most likely be let go this weekend.

root_hawg

If I was Gus, I would run to Florida.  Easier division to win and lots more recruits but I am sure there is something in that contract.

I am curious to see where Harbaugh winds up or if he stays in the NFL. 

Texas AM got rid of their DC.  Could this be a landing spot for Muschamp?

Jimmy "theused4wheelerdealer" Watkins from Conway

Jim McElwain will be the next HC at Florida.  Dan Mullen is logical choice but florida powers are still pissed at urban Meyer and DM has too close of ties.

husker71

Shannon mentioned in one article for the UNLV job    When I was living there I thought John Robinson had that one turned around and then Bobby Hauck seemed last year to have a little momentum but awfully hard place to win

husker71

Tulsa is a good job for an up and comer I think   I wish Garrick McGee had not taken the UAB job and then left that to go to UL   You guys think he will be considered???  I think it would be a real longshot

husker71

Chad Morris could quickly (2 or 3 years) get SMU back to respectability   Cant wait to see his staff   look for a couple of high school coaches from Texas be in place quickly

Abominable Hillbilly

I would love to see Garrick McGee replace Chaney
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

Doug

Added Bobby Hauck (UNLV) to the list today, per this ESPN report, effective Monday, December 1st, 2014.

Also added Jeff Quinn (Buffalo), who was fired after Game #7.
--Doug

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: husker71 on November 29, 2014, 02:21:49 am
Tulsa is a good job for an up and comer I think   I wish Garrick McGee had not taken the UAB job and then left that to go to UL   You guys think he will be considered???  I think it would be a real longshot

Tough place to recruit to and win. Smallest Div I school, high academic requirements for entrance. That may actually be the toughest job in all of Div I for those reasons.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

jackflash

Muschamp will be a expensive hire. I think they will be at least three or four schools come after him. So Carolina, Texas &M any maybe Auburn. You may have to add the title ASS Head Coach to get him

hog.goblin

passinghog

Florida should take a strong look at Brian Kelly

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Whats the chance Jim Harbaugh ends up at Michigan?  He will be fired from SF after this season, especially after they get smashed up in Seattle in two weeks.  He probably will stay in the NFL and will have many league offers, but Michigan I would have to think would make a very nice offer.

Tim Harris

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on November 29, 2014, 11:27:01 pm
Whats the chance Jim Harbaugh ends up at Michigan?  He will be fired from SF after this season, especially after they get smashed up in Seattle in two weeks.  He probably will stay in the NFL and will have many league offers, but Michigan I would have to think would make a very nice offer.

That is who all their fans are drooling over.  It is similar to the Gruden around here 2 years ago.

Doug

Quote from: hog.goblinKY OC Neal Brown to take over for Troy

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11954717/troy-trojans-hire-kentucky-wildcats-oc-neal-brown-head-coach
Wow, one of my sources nailed this... on November 9th.
--Doug

BR

Nebraska Huskers ‏@Huskers 3m3 minutes ago

Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst has dismissed Head Football Coach Bo Pelini effective immediately. Press conference 1pm.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

cosmodrum

Quote from: BR on November 30, 2014, 09:49:48 am
Nebraska Huskers ‏@Huskers 3m3 minutes ago

Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst has dismissed Head Football Coach Bo Pelini effective immediately. Press conference 1pm.

O Brother Who Art Thou Going to Hire?
Go away, batin'