Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cubs

Started by lefty08, May 04, 2015, 07:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Quote from: yraciv on May 09, 2016, 02:29:42 pm
Cards/Cubs is a pretty mild rivalry in terms of pure hatred toward the other.  I've been to many Card/Cubs games, and it's not near the the environment you'd get say Dogers/Giants or Red Sox/Yankees.

As a Cubs fan I can admit we've sucked for so long it's hard to view anyone as a heated rival. 

I can't stand the Cardinals, but only mainly because I'm surrounded by so many Cardinals fans, at least half of which geographically should be Kansas City fans.

hog.goblin

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 09, 2016, 03:05:32 pm
who is scared to let his boys pitch to Harper.  ;D

Barry Bonds says hello and to get over it.

It's up to the guys behind Harper to make this a bad strategy.  Baseball 101.

GolfNut57

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 09, 2016, 03:16:55 pm
well they swept the nats in 4 games and are 24-6 so........

And still would not let a quality pitcher like Arrieta pitch to Harper? If Jake is the kind of pitcher he is being touted to be (and I think he is awesome) then he should have had no problem keeping Harper off the bases. It's jmo but to me it is a hollow victory if you refuse to face the best the other team has to offer. And in this case the Cubs refused to face Harper.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

clutch

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 09, 2016, 04:32:48 pm
And still would not let a quality pitcher like Arrieta pitch to Harper? If Jake is the kind of pitcher he is being touted to be (and I think he is awesome) then he should have had no problem keeping Harper off the bases. It's jmo but to me it is a hollow victory if you refuse to face the best the other team has to offer. And in this case the Cubs refused to face Harper.

Having a guy like Arietta on the mound makes that decision even smarter. You have even more faith in him to get the guys behind him out and not let that decision come back to bite you.

hog.goblin

So you didn't watch?  I saw two games.

Lackey gave him a fast ball right down the middle which resulted in a ground out.  Then he struck him out twice in a row, and then with the Cubs up 8 - 2  Richard threw 3 strikes, 1 ball just off the plate, and 1 high fastball.  But 2 of the strikes were called balls so he got a "hollow" walk. 

Jake through him 4 strikes in first AB. Two were borderline.  Result was a "hollow" walk.
Jake walked him in the next AB.  Two of the balls were borderline.  One was a little low.
Down 2 - 0 nothing and a man on 2nd he was intentionally walked in the next AB.  Standard baseball.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 09, 2016, 03:05:32 pm
who is scared smart enough not to let his boys pitch to Harper.  ;D
FIFY...

southarkhog06

LOL that's part of the reason Maddon is an MLB manager and you are not.

In no world but your head is a 4 game sweep a "hollow" victory.

TheRazorback500

Addison Russell with a triple and 3 knocked in and Zobrist goes 4-4 as the streak continues.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

southarkhog06

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on May 10, 2016, 10:49:27 pm
Addison Russell with a triple and 3 knocked in and Zobrist goes 4-4 as the streak continues.

I didn't get to watch, but if they did anything but throw center-in fastballs to Kemp then they are cowards and its a hollow victory. ;D

GolfNut57

Padres took em down today. TWICE!  :)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hog.goblin

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 11, 2016, 10:20:21 pm

those were hollow losses because the Padres didn't have to face Jake...

Dropkick

Sucks to be 25-8 huh?

TheRazorback500

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 11, 2016, 10:20:21 pm
Law of averages.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

GolfNut57

Quote from: hog.goblin on May 12, 2016, 09:14:31 am
those were hollow losses wins because the Padres didn't have to face Jake...

fify  ;)

pigture perfect

I don't think the Cubs need to worry about dropping 2 in a row. They are a pretty loose group. They probably won't panic much.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

southarkhog06

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 13, 2016, 12:30:36 am
I don't think the Cubs need to worry about dropping 2 in a row. They are a pretty loose group. They probably won't panic much.
good point plus Maddon prolly wont let them get too low or too high this season. He is prolly the best "manager of personalities" in the game.

TheRazorback500

A 9-8 win gives the Cubbies the series. Three-run dinger for Bryant and another win for Arrieta despite giving up 4 earned runs.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on May 25, 2016, 05:20:14 pm
A 9-8 win gives the Cubbies the series. Three-run dinger for Bryant and another win for Arrieta despite giving up 4 earned runs.

Was a rough road trip over the past week.  Thank goodness for the Cardinals...

Dropkick

Cardinal tears are sweet!

southarkhog06

Two weeks ago my Grandfather the man who taught me how to throw a change-up, told me that I should swing inside out since I was so scrawny, and the reason I am a Cubs fan, found out he had Liver Cancer. Today they found out it is not operable and all indications are this is the last MLB season he will see on this side of heavens gate.

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of sitting on his knee watching WGN and listening to Harry Carey call the games, and as I got older wondering aloud with him in which strange way we were gonna implode against the Cards this time.

I didn't post this to bring the mood down or ask for sympathy. It is just a reminder that to a lot of us Baseball is more than a game, and that life is short.

TheRazorback500

7-2 win completes the sweep of the Phillies, the sixth one this year.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

ChicoHog

Watching my Dodgers play the Cubs right now (on TV).  Scoreless game in the 5th.  Dodgers have trouble scoring runs all year.  Pitching been pretty decent.   Just no hitting, especially in clutch situations.  And no power this year.  You guys miss Kershaw since he pitched last night vs the Mets.  Should be a good 4 game series.  I would be happy with a split. 

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: ChicoHog on May 30, 2016, 05:34:24 pm
Watching my Dodgers play the Cubs right now (on TV).  Scoreless game in the 5th.  Dodgers have trouble scoring runs all year.  Pitching been pretty decent.   Just no hitting, especially in clutch situations.  And no power this year.  You guys miss Kershaw since he pitched last night vs the Mets.  Should be a good 4 game series.  I would be happy with a split.
Dodgers got the best of the Cubs last night.  Kazmir was on and Arrieta did enough...but too little offense and the bullpen crumbling led to a late inning collapse.  Hopefully Lester can even it up today.

ChicoHog

Now 2-1 series lead for Cubs.  Again , no offense from either team.   Dodgers need a win tomorrow for a split.  starting the rookie Urias who struggled mightily vs Mets last week.  Hope he is up to the challenge. 

TheRazorback500

No split. Cubbies win behind four home runs. Even Heyward hit one, only his second of the year.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

hog.goblin

Quote from: ChicoHog on June 01, 2016, 11:27:20 pm
Now 2-1 series lead for Cubs.  Again , no offense from either team.   Dodgers need a win tomorrow for a split.  starting the rookie Urias who struggled mightily vs Mets last week.  Hope he is up to the challenge. 

I was glad to see my Cubs win, but hated rooting against Bolsinger.  Other than the Bryant knock he pitched very well.

TheRazorback500

Hamels gets the win and contributes a hit and two RBI.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

ChicoHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 02, 2016, 07:39:49 pm
I was glad to see my Cubs win, but hated rooting against Bolsinger.  Other than the Bryant knock he pitched very well.
Bolsinger has pitched well most of the time.  His biggest problem is he goes full count against most hitters so his pitch count get high very quickly.  He survives off a great curve ball but if he cant get that over or get batters to swing at it then he struggles. 

Bigfoot

Good to see Chris Coghlan back with the Cubs.

TheRazorback500

I've never heard of Albert Almora, Jr. but he had 3 hits and 2 RBI in a 6-0 win over the Pirates. Arrieta with his tenth win.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

hog.goblin

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

TheRazorback500

Injuries and the grind of the season starting to take its toll.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

hog.goblin

Yep, fortunately the Bucs and Cards are struggling too.  Hopefully they can get some rest at the all star break and get back on track.

Dropkick

Cubs going through tough streak and still leading by 10 games. WOW!

hog.goblin

3 in a row against Reds helps

Baltimore, Cleveland, Texas, and San Fran are all on fire, extending their leads.

Nats and Cubs have struggled some lately, but all 6 teams with strong leads going into the all star break.

hawgrunner

TheRazorback500

It should be better after the All-Star break when Soler, LaStella, and Dexter Fowler get back. DF sets the table well.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

hog.goblin

6 - 15 in the last 21 games.  Ready for the break and some healing.

Jim

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 10, 2016, 09:16:33 pm
6 - 15 in the last 21 games.  Ready for the break and some healing.

AMEN!!  Hate to see them peak too soon then sputter out b/c by now, everyone knows they're for real but still have to get that one humongous goat off their shoulders.  Last year was a great indication of the gelling chemistry in the dugout.  Hopefully Joe can keep them focused but loose thru the break & dog days of summer then slowly push the pedal down the rest of the season.

TheRazorback500

Good start. Five hit 6-0 victory against the Rangers. Cool.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

hog.goblin

Big win indeed

DiamondHogFan

Just gotta keep it steady.  Long home (or close to home) stand looming.  Win 2 out of every 3 and hopefully push the division lead back to 10+ and try to keep it that way until September, then it all gets really real.

@ Milwaukee
@ White Sox
vs White Sox
vs Mariners
vs Marlins

Not traveling on an airplane from All-star break until August 6th (3+ weeks)...that will do a lot to keep some fresh legs/arms/bodies for the late September/October push.

TheRazorback500

Won 7 out of the last eight. I think they're getting their mojo back. Having Fowler back at leadoff helps immensely.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

hog.goblin

3 runs in the bottom of the 9th to sweep the Marlins

25 games over .500

Cubs are warming up again

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 03, 2016, 10:32:09 pm
3 runs in the bottom of the 9th to sweep the Marlins

25 games over .500

Cubs are warming up again
9.5 game lead over the Cards...warming up again...I like the set up for August/September.  Just stay healthy.

TheRazorback500

Eibner got a homer for the A's, but Lester and the Cubs win 7-2. Soler comes off the DL with a first inning 3-run dinger.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

hog.goblin

Good to see Arietta have a great game.  8 innings 3 hits, as the Cubs have won 6 in a row and 9 out of 10.

lefty08

Cubs showing why everyone who was anyone thought they were the best team on paper

How freakin scary would this team be with Schwarber?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: lefty08 on August 21, 2016, 10:17:13 pm
Cubs showing why everyone who was anyone thought they were the best team on paper

How freakin scary would this team be with Schwarber?

Yes, that was a significant loss. Still might cost them.
[CENSORED]!