Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Athletics Facilities Race

Started by jbcarol, June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhog14

I wish we had an all brick facade on our stadium instead of that creamy yellow stucko.

3kgthog

There's no reason to close in the endzone until we start filling every seat for every game. There's also a reason aTm didn't dominate the Big XII and that's called poor coaching choices. They've got a winner now and UT is on the way down. It's the perfect storm for the Aggies. In one season, they did what we haven't been able to do, beat Nick Saban.

sowmonella

Quote from: qdoc on February 22, 2013, 01:11:26 pm
We could have but the priority was being able to see the field from the comfort of the BAC.

I'm sorry but that's just a dumb statement.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 22, 2013, 03:53:31 pm
There's no reason to close in the endzone until we start filling every seat for every game.
It's not that simple...You don't build more club seating because more students don't show up to sit in the upper deck or more low-income families don't buy the bad corners of the upper deck.  There's demand for club seating, so you build it.  Fans will pay for a good seat to see the Hogs.  They're only going to pay for terrible seats when we're good.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

HawgTide

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 22, 2013, 03:53:31 pm
There's no reason to close in the endzone until we start filling every seat for every game. There's also a reason aTm didn't dominate the Big XII and that's called poor coaching choices. They've got a winner now and UT is on the way down. It's the perfect storm for the Aggies. In one season, they did what we haven't been able to do, beat Nick Saban.

Sumlin inherited a ton of talent from Sherman.A lot of coaches look like geniuses their first year before they stumble. He may be a great coach, average coach or a flash in the pan. Time will tell.

It's way too early IMO to predict sustained greatness for A&M in the SEC.

go hogues

Some of your ability to understand the magnitude of Texas aTm's inclusion in this conference is baffling.

We like to refer to the UA as a "sleeping giant", yet can't fathom aTm, with their unlimited funding, large, almost scary loyal alumni base, recruiting advantages and nationwide brand recognition as a sleeping giant as well?

These jokers aren't going anywhere. Living in Dallas for the last five years, I rarely saw aTm merchandise, much less people wearing it. Now that's ALL you see.

They just came in to this conference and BEAT Alabama their first year and in the process, their QB won a Heisman trophy. Now they're going to spend a quarter of what Jerry spent on Jerryworld and you guys act like they'll be battling it out with Mississsippi State year in and year out?

The reason they never fared well in their previous conferences is because they had to play second fiddle to UT. Now, they have their own identity in a vastly superior conference and their previously mentioned scary loyal fanbase has awoken and are ready to do what it takes to make a statement.

In five years, aTm will own this league.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HawgTide

Quote from: go hogues on February 22, 2013, 04:15:30 pm
Some of your ability to understand the magnitude of Texas aTm's inclusion in this conference is baffling.

We like to refer to the UA as a "sleeping giant", yet can't fathom aTm, with their unlimited funding, large, almost scary loyal alumni base, recruiting advantages and nationwide brand recognition as a sleeping giant as well?

These jokers aren't going anywhere. Living in Dallas for the last five years, I rarely saw aTm merchandise, much less people wearing it. Now that's ALL you see.

They just came in to this conference and BEAT Alabama their first year and in the process, their QB won a Heisman trophy. Now they're going to spend a quarter of what Jerry spent on Jerryworld and you guys act like they'll be battling it out with Mississsippi State year in and year out?

The reason they never fared well in their previous conferences is because they had to play second fiddle to UT. Now, they have their own identity in a vastly superior conference and their previously mentioned scary loyal fanbase has awoken and are ready to do what it takes to make a statement.

A&M won't own anything as long as Saban is at Bama.

They had a great year this past year but that's all it was, ONE year.Lets see them stack up a bunch of those before we anoint them a dynasty.

I think their second year in the SEC will be harder than their first.

jlhogfan

I agree with most of your post, but lets not get carried away with "owning the SEC".  This is a football conference and it belongs to Bama and Fla

The_Iceman

I like the design we have for the new endzone except for one thing.

Take the second level of red seats and make that a line of luxury boxes. We need more of those a lot more than we need more red chair-back seats.

Do that, and you'll generate so much more revenue because boxes that close to the field will be a prime ticket and it will help reflect the noise back into the stadium.

HogScoutMaster

"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Hawgzinbowlz

Some of your ability to understand the magnitude of Texas aTm's inclusion in this conference is baffling...
...In five years, aTm will own this league.
Uh, No.

LZH

All true....except the owning the league part.  They'll be up there, though.

Doug

Uhh, the road to dominating the SEC goes through Alabama, Arkansas and LSU.

Rice (50-27-3)
Sam Houston State (11-0-0)
Alabama (2-3-0)
SMU (43-29-7)
at Arkansas (25-41-3)
at Ole Miss (5-0-0)
Auburn (3-0-0)
Vanderbilt (0-0-0)
UTEP (2-0-0)
Mississippi State (3-3-0)
at LSU (20-28-3)
at Missouri (8-5-0)

I do enjoy watching the Aggies play, especially last year's game, but let's remember that most of us intelligent FB guys said that the Aggies would acclimate to the SEC style play a lot easier than Missouri did... and that was proven.  Their win over National Champions Alabama, while impressive, was a once in a lifetime shot.

Only Rice and SMU (the above stats are records of the Aggies 2013 opponents) have faced the Aggies more than the Hogs have... Alabama will NOT lose to the Aggies this year, nor will we.  LSU will continue their streak against the Aggies and Ole Miss... at home... is a very dangerous team this year.

Long term, I expect the Aggies to be 2nd - 4th in the SEC West, year in and year out.  They'll be one of the top 6 teams in the SEC, but they will rarely sniff the top, and they certainly will not dominate the SEC West.

People still refuse to believe that past history can and should be used as an indicator of how well a team does in the future. It's *very* hard to change that stigma.  But hey, you'll believe what you want.

Texas A&M is on a good upswing right now.  It will not last much more than another 3-4 years, where they'll settle into their roles as a solid upper-middle of the pack SEC team.

Back on topic now: The Aggies do have the fan base (which is actually larger than the Shorthorns and has more money) to be able to support and sustain the growth of Kyle Field.

Let's not forget that Texas A&M is an ACTIVE research university and has several studies under way right now that will eventually help shape the growth of the US. Trust me... Aggies have reasons to be proud of their school (and sports) and will spend what they need to, as they need to, where they need to.

I'd also be willing to bet that they run into capacity issues and have to expand again in the next decade. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Mike Irwin

Not buying it. They're Aggies. They will figure out a way to screw it up.

LZH

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 22, 2013, 08:10:49 pm

I've never really been able to figure them out.  Huge alumni base with damn-near unlimited resources, right smack in the middle of recruiting heaven...the Dallas-Houston-Austin/San Antonio triangle (that's what, 18-20M people within a three hour drive).  They should have nearly as many NC's as Texas and OU imo.  Maybe the aggie jokes have some merit?

Iwastherein1969

BINGO !  BANGO !  BONGO !   some of these young bucks who post on Hogville saw the Hogs lose to A&M last year in football and this year in hoops and then see huge plans for expansion at College station and are completely in awe of AGGY.... kiddies, I've never seen Aggy, when expectations are high, perform to said expectations....its just who they are....last time A&M was ranked in top 3 in the country, they rolled into Little Rock's venerable War Memorial Stadium, undefeated and ranked #2 in the country and thought to be unbeatable....this was 1975, and the twice beaten Hogs with the help of a Scott Bull to Teddy Barnes bomb breaking a 0-0 tie right before halftime aided the Hogs as they went on to roll Aggy 31-6 and earn the spot in the Cotton Bowl....Aggy hasn't been close to winning the NC since that December evening in 1975....moral to the story, younguns, Aggy will be Aggy and thus they will always be.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

go hogues

Mike, you're one of my favorite posters and a damn good journalist but don't let your self described hatred for the Ags cloud your otherwise good judgement! :)

I hope they do screw themselves. I just think the writing is on the wall for the Aggies to make some major noise over the next decade or so. I think they definitely surpass LSU and when Saban gives out, they'll jump up in the lead for a while.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

PigDaddyKane

Being old enough to remember the SWC, aTm was always a riddle.  Great recruiting classes but usually came up short of expectations.  I think the move to the SEC will help them tremendously. They were always in Texas' shadow or just one of many Texas schools in a league. Now they can differentiate themselves from everyone in the state. I could see them being like LSU. Usually in contention for winning the west.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on February 22, 2013, 09:09:44 pm
Being old enough to remember the SWC, aTm was always a riddle.  Great recruiting classes but usually came up short of expectations.  I think the move to the SEC will help them tremendously. They were always in Texas' shadow or just one of many Texas schools in a league. Now they can differentiate themselves from everyone in the state. I could see them being like LSU. Usually in contention for winning the west.
if you guys feel some inner need to promote A&M to some priestly class of athletic endeavor, hey, go right ahead, it will take more than one year with everyone taking them lightly allowing them to have a 3rd place finish in the SEC....now, when they start hitting the BCS circuit, THEN, they MIGHT get my attention....but lets put the Crowns of Gold some of you are willing to annoint them with back in the closet where they belong
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Root66

Quote from: go hogues on February 22, 2013, 01:24:10 pm
Give aTm five more years and they will own this conference.

Uh...they had over 80 years and never owned the Southwest Conference. They can spend any amount of money they want and they will still be Texas A&M.

Hoggish1

Quote from: CallMeHog on February 22, 2013, 01:38:03 pm
Probably not but they may well permanently own the University of Texas!

And won't that be sweet.

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

I'm sold.  Too much talent n Texas for them not to be good plus Saban prob want be at Bama n 5 more years.

popcornhog

WPS

deshahawg

Pretty impressive. This should help recruiting for them for sure....not that they need it now.

Mike Irwin

When we got to College station on Friday for the game last fall I wanted to check out the natural grass turf at Kyle Field. Supposedly nobody does grass better than those dudes.

It was impressive. However some young pinhead, an athletic department staffer, saw that I was wearing a Razorback Nation polo shirt.

He could not resist the temptation to come over and brag.

First the told me of their plans to make Kyle Field the largest stadum in the universe. 1.2 million seats. The upper decks would be taller than the Empire State Building.

Then he showed me their football operations center. "See that," he bragged. "That's our old Football Operations Center. It's already bigger than yawls. The new one will be a hundred times as big. A million square feet. Our weight room will be bigger than your campus."

He went on and on. Blah, blah, blah.

Finally I could not resist. "We've got one thing that you guys don't have," I said. "We don't have to live around Aggies."

That night we stayed in a motel just off campus. It was raining cats and dogs by the time we got ready to head to the stadium the next morning. I opened the door and was astonished to see that the gutters had downspouts that only came a few feet below the rooflline.

Our vehicle was parked directly below one of those downspouts. It might as well have been parked under Niagara Falls. We drew straws and Jason Carroll had the task of getting in the vehicle and moving it out from under the raging torrent.

It took him about two seconds to open the door and climb inside. He was was soaked and pissed.

Here we were in College Station Texas, a town supposedly full of the best engineers in the country, and those people managed to invent something I'd never seen before.
A downspout that empties seven feet off the ground.

Aggies.

RollHogTide

No way.

Over the next five years are they going to consistently beat Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, and now throw Ole Miss in the mix?  That is a schedule without adding whatever SEC-East team that is thrown at them.  Do I think they will have good teams - certainly, I expect them to have very good teams.  I also expect them to beat some of the aforementioned teams, but just because they beat Bama - doesn't make them the National Champions by proxy.

Bebop

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 22, 2013, 10:04:06 pm
When we got to College station on Friday for the game last fall I wanted to check out the natural grass turf at Kyle Field. Supposedly nobody does grass better than those dudes.

It was impressive. However some young pinhead, an athletic department staffer, saw that I was wearing a Razorback Nation polo shirt.

First the told me of their plans to make Kyle Field the largest stadum in the universe. 1.2 million seats. The upper decks would be taller than the Empire State Building.

Then he showed me their football operations center. "See that," he bragged. "That's our old Football Operations Center. It's already bigger than yawls. The new one will be a hundred times as big. A million square feet. Our weight room will be bigger than your campus."

Finally I could not resist. "We've got one thing that you guys don't have," I said. "We don't have to live around Aggies."

That night we stayed in a motel just off campus. It was raining cats and dogs by the time we got ready to head to the stadium the next morning. I opened the door and was astonished to see that the gutters had downspouts that only came a few feet below the rooflline.

Our vehicle was parked directly below one of those downspouts. It might as well have been parked under Niagara Falls. We drew straws and Jason Carroll had the task of getting in the vehicle and moving it out from under the raging torrent.

It took him about two seconds to open the door and climb inside. He was was soaked and pissed.

Here we were in College Station Texas, a town supposedly full of the best engineers in the country, and those people managed to invent something I'd never seen before.

Aggies.

lol... I always like reading your posts. 

BOAR_N2BWILD

I would love to see us close in the end zone. Heck, I would just like to see us sell out what we have on a regular basis.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Theolesnort

Once an Aggie, always an Aggie. It's a curse.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 22, 2013, 10:04:06 pm

Aggies.
If you had parked the van in a spot marked Longhorn parking I could have given a thumbs up to those Aggie engineers. But alas it was not to be. I for years have had a saying about the Aggies. It is a place that good coaches go to die. How long before Sumlin succumbs to the curse?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

You need to move out of Texas bro. Fo Realz... You have been brainwashed. I promise you they will be better than most on here give them credit for, but they will by no means "own" the SEC. look at Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama and Arkansas. Each of those teams have had down years, decades even.  You can't dominate forever in this league, but if you can stay slightly above middle and make your runs while you can, you will still be a perennial top 15 team...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Theolesnort

You need to walk the walk before you talk the talk. The Aggies have been talking for years with no sustained success. All talk with little doing. Even ole Dizzy Dean said, "It ain't braggin if you can do it. Do it, then talk.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on February 22, 2013, 04:24:30 pm

A&M won't own anything as long as Saban is at Bama.

They had a great year this past year but that's all it was, ONE year.Lets see them stack up a bunch of those before we anoint them a dynasty.

I think their second year in the SEC will be harder than their first.

It looked like Sumlin owned Nick in that 1st match up. We will see if Nick can tie it up this year? It will be a good contest.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 22, 2013, 08:22:05 pm
I've never really been able to figure them out.  Huge alumni base with damn-near unlimited resources, right smack in the middle of recruiting heaven...the Dallas-Houston-Austin/San Antonio triangle (that's what, 18-20M people within a three hour drive).  They should have nearly as many NC's as Texas and OU imo.  Maybe the aggie jokes have some merit?

You ever been to College Station? Besides that most people don't like cults either......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

870hogfan

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on February 23, 2013, 07:01:56 am
It looked like Sumlin owned Nick in that 1st match up. We will see if Nick can tie it up this year? It will be a good contest.

With a team that he didn't build and didn't recruit.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: woodhog14 on February 22, 2013, 03:37:13 pm
I wish we had an all brick facade on our stadium instead of that creamy yellow stucko.

Fsu is all brick.  Blends right into the campus.  You have to look twice to know It is a stadium.  Classy
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Theolesnort

A&M caught Bama at the prime time. Let us see how it goes from here?

woodhog14

Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 23, 2013, 07:43:17 am
Fsu is all brick.  Blends right into the campus.  You have to look twice to know It is a stadium.  Classy

Yep! And it looks good!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 23, 2013, 07:43:17 am

I've been there. I disagree. I think it looks rather bland. I've never understood why people think all buildings on a campus should look exactly alike. I think that is boring. Spice things up a bit I say. To each his own I guess.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 23, 2013, 10:13:06 am
I've been there. I disagree. I think it looks rather bland. I've never understood why people think all buildings on a campus should look exactly alike. I think that is boring. Spice things up a bit I say. To each his own I guess.

Did you go across the tracks to the famu campus?  A whole lotta variety there.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

woodhog14

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 23, 2013, 10:13:06 am

I think it looks good. I think our stadium would look better with more of a brick facade instead of the creamy/yellowish stucko. The stucko makes it look unfinished and cheap.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Theolesnort on February 23, 2013, 08:47:31 am
A&M caught Bama at the prime time. Let us see how it goes from here?
I give credit to A&M for playing a great game in Tuscaloosa at an advantageous schedule. Nothing more. The current level of commitment from multiple SEC schools guarantees that no one will " own this league ". Alabama is the closest thing to " owning this league " in football but this will likely change when Saban retires/leaves. The current size of Kyle Field means less tears shed there after Nicky & The Boys come a callin.

" GO HOGS "

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: woodhog14 on February 23, 2013, 10:27:37 am
I think it looks good. I think our stadium would look better with more of a brick facade instead of the creamy/yellowish stucko. The stucko makes it look unfinished and cheap.

I like a little brick but not all brick.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 23, 2013, 10:25:45 am
Did you go across the tracks to the famu campus?  A whole lotta variety there.

Been all over the campus. I worked in the panhandle. My former boss was a graduate of FSU and a friend of Burt's. I admit it's been a while since I've been there. They had just added onto the stadium. When I was there a lot of it looked the same and bland. At least in my opinion. What tracks? I honestly don't remember any tracks. Like I say it's been a while though.

EDIT: My bad I thought you were referring to FSU. I now see you wrote FAMU! I guess I should read slower!

Dbl D

They're still aggies!

Laughing Hog

So,they decided to upgrade the Wally World tacklebox and get one from Orvis....... good for them.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Root66

I don't think Nick will get caught in that trap two years in a row, Ray. It may not even be close.

Root66

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 23, 2013, 07:27:44 am
You ever been to College Station? Besides that most people don't like cults either......................

That's why no one likes us...WE are a cult. Alabama's a cult. Texas is a cult. LSU is a cult. OU is a cult. Missouri on the other hand, is NOT a cult.

Root66

Quote from: woodhog14 on February 23, 2013, 10:27:37 am

Why do I remember creamy/yellowish Pre-fab Concrete Panels for the outside facade of RRS? I don't think that is "stucco". Maybe they can hire an artist to paint a brick design on the prefab concrete. ;)

FelixJonesorDMAC?

People keep saying look at history, but history tells us the Aggies were under UT's shadow, it is different now.  They do have a coach and had a pretty solid recruiting class and a helluva marekting campaign going on right now with Johnny Football to bring more attention to the Aggs.   Let's just hope they stay aggies and mess this all up, but if they don't, they will be a force unless Texas comes to the SEC.