Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What will be most important tonight?

Started by Piglet, January 02, 2018, 10:06:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piglet

Assuming not everything will click into tonight's game with Mississippi State, which ONE of the following will be most crucial to the Hogs winning the game:
1.  Good 3-pt shooting
2.  Playing good defense
3.  Good bench play
4.  Excellent free throw shooting
5.  Referees who let the teams play

I think the team will have to play good defense to win the game.  Good defense negates the home floor advantage.  We saw that happen in the Tennessee game.  The Vols had the Hogs on the ropes with their defense for most of the game.  If they could have sustained it they would have won the game.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

The_Iceman

No foul trouble for Gafford and 10+ points from CJ Jones.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Little Lady Back

5.  Referees who let the teams play = Gafford staying out of foul trouble
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Breems

Gafford staying on the floor and a respectable 3-point %. Road teams tend to resort to long spells of 3-point shooting.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Roadhog82

We need to win the turnover battle and keep Gafford out of foul trouble. I think the bench will come around tonight. Even being an away game, Miss. St. Isn't Tennessee

PonderinHog

CPO Hog

#3 good bench play - there will be foul troubles in Stinkville...

SemperHawg

rude1

Got to play good defense, as the old saying goes, your defense can travel on the road. Next IMO is free throw shooting, we have not been as good from there as we need to be, on the road making your free throws is even more important, because every point can matter in a hostile environment.

SouthTulsaHog

#1 - Good 3 pt shooting is an excellent equalizer on the road. If you have noticed last year we had 2 home losses (MSU and Vandy). Both of those teams came out on fire. If we come out and make shots early, I think we have a good chance of coming out with a W

LivingLegends

Quote from: Piglet on January 02, 2018, 10:06:13 am
2.  Playing good defense
3.  Good bench play
These need to happen.

Good defense turns into quick points and frustration for opponents.  That keeps scoring droughts down and increases FT attempts.  See number 4.  Gotta capitalize on trips to the line.If they're getting the home cooking every FT is important.

The bench has to step up.  We're gonna need quality minutes all year from them.  If we're getting bench points it's gonna be really tough to beat us anywhere.

JayHog

razorpimp

The Hogs have got to shoot well from the outside and try to slow down Q. Witherspoon....guards that size almost always go off on us

The real Hogules

I'd say that limiting MSU's 2nd and 3rd opportunities, per possession would go a long ways to sending us home with our first conference road win of the season. Closing out on their shooters, grabbing the rebounds on MSU misses and quickly transitioning to our offense will wear down the Bulldogs and we should be able to pull away in the 2nd half of our game.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

TexHog188

Need the bench to contribute with scoring tonight, limit 2nd chance points, and defend the 3 point line better.  Keep Gafford in the game.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

razorback1829

3 point shooting. When we shoot good, it energizes our defense.

azhog10

Assuming not everything will click into tonight's game with Mississippi State, which ONE of the following will be most crucial to the Hogs winning the game:
1.  Good 3-pt shooting
2.  Playing good defense
3.  Good bench play

I think the team will have to play good defense to win the game.  Good defense negates the home floor advantage.  We saw that happen in the Tennessee game.  The Vols had the Hogs on the ropes with their defense for most of the game.  If they could have sustained it they would have won the game.
1.Gafford foul trouble (no question)
2. Assist to turnover ratio. If we can have a high number of assists and limit our turnovers we will win.

Those two will sum up our success tonight.

BassinHawg

Gafford's Free Throw shooting, got a feeling he will be hacked a lot tonight.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Razorback_Mack

Defend the 3 point line, take care of the ball, make free throws

Bacon_Bitz

The most important factor will be that nobody shows up for the home team.  With the cold, the mid-term break, and the holidays over, there's nobody in town to show up.  It'll be an empty vacuous arena with a listless crowd that will play to the Hogs advantage. 

King Kong

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 12:16:09 pm
Defend the 3 point line, take care of the ball, make free throws

And rebounding and you got it

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bigred223

Quote from: Kevin on January 02, 2018, 12:37:09 pm
play as a team on offense

Yes, less one on one play and more ball movement.

Hogdomer

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on January 02, 2018, 12:19:29 pm
The most important factor will be that nobody shows up for the home team.  With the cold, the mid-term break, and the holidays over, there's nobody in town to show up.  It'll be an empty vacuous arena with a listless crowd that will play to the Hogs advantage. 

I don't think its the crowd that makes most road games hard, it's the officiating.  Even if the arena is pretty empty (which I expect it to be), this game will be very difficult because of the refs.

Nickle-Pig

I don't think anything can stop these guys right now, not tonight anyway. So the most important thing is we show up.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

AugustaHog

We have to control the tempo.  If we are allowed (by the refs and MSU) to play our style, we will wear them out.  If we get called for ticky tack touch fouls, this thing will bog down and be a real struggle.  We're the better team and if we can impose our style on them, it will be a long night for the Bulldogs.

PORKULATOR

Bench.
We're deeper than they are and should play like. That means our D should give more energy than theirs.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

popcornhog

Keeping Gafford out of foul trouble and making free throws.
WPS

Beaverfever

If Gafford plays for 25+ minutes and we have more assists than turnovers then we'll probably win.  And obviously the most important thing in basketball is just shooting the hell out of the ball.   Ultimately it'll come down to how much we get from our 4 guards. 

rljjr

Turnovers and Transition points. A frenetic place to keep us in the 80s or higher.

Razorod

Have a feeling that Arlando Cook will need to play a solid game tonight. Doesn't have to get a double/double, but may have to play some early to help Anderson manage the first half.

Get to the final five minutes within reach. That's what you ask for on the road--the opportunity. It then becomes a matter of which team makes the plays down the stretch.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Letsroll1200

Rebounding and having a good night from CJ Jones off the bench.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Razorod on January 02, 2018, 02:18:32 pm
Have a feeling that Arlando Cook will need to play a solid game tonight. Doesn't have to get a double/double, but may have to play some early to help Anderson manage the first half.

Get to the final five minutes within reach. That's what you ask for on the road--the opportunity. It then becomes a matter of which team makes the plays down the stretch.

What has happened to Bailey? He was playing so well when Thomas and Cook where not available early in the season. Right now he has moments where he looks lost out there on the floor.

LivingLegends

Seems like in the past we usually have a big player or two have sub par games and to win we needed other guys to have unusually big games.  I'd like to see us buck that trend and have everyone play up to their expectations and see one of the "glue" guys start adding some points to their game.  I think that's gonna be key for how well this team plays down the stretch.

threeNout

1. Good 3-pt shooting
2.  Playing good defense
3.  Good bench play

either one would have helped a lot.