Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME 19 THREAD: #13 ARKANSAS (15-3, 0-0 SEC) at #12 So CAROLINA(17-2, 0-0 SEC)

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, March 17, 2016, 02:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

#13 ARKANSAS at #12 SO CAROLINA
                        FIRST PITCH FRIDAY 6:30pm
              AT FOUNDERS PARK in COLUMBIA, SC

OPENING WEEKEND

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

WELCOME TO RAZORBACK BASEBALL 2016 - HOGVILLE.net OFFICIAL GAME THREAD
                                                            GAME 19
      #13 ARKANSAS (15-3, 0-0 SEC) AT #12 SOUTH CAROLINA (17-2, 0-0, SEC)

This is the SEC OPENING WEEKEND and this is Game #1 of a 3 game series between the Razorbacks and Gamecocks.

First Pitch is set for 6:30pm, FRIDAY. This game will be broadcast live online on SEC Network Plus, accessible at WatchESPN.com and the WatchESPN app. This game will not be televised in it's entirety on any network.

HOWEVER, this game is included in the special 7 game SEC BASES LOADED program with  LIVE LOOK-IN's throughout all of the games. All 14 SEC teams are included in the 4 hour compilation. BASES LOADED is part of the SEC NETWORK and can be seen on your regular SEC Network channel or on the SEC Network overflow channels.

*In NWA on Cox cable the game's live look-ins will be on channel 2077 or 2078.

*Also there are some schedules floating around out there that show our game to start at 6:00pm. The correct start time is 6:30pm for ARKANSAS at So CAROLINA and some of the other SEC games on BASES LOADED will start at 6:00pm, 6:30pm and 7:00pm (CT)

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

BEFORE READING THIS ENTIRE POST,
(turn up your volume and click below):
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__University_Of_Arkansas_Alma_Mater.mp3

For many years, Hogville members who love Razorback Baseball have come together to produce these game threads with play-by-play narrative for those that depend on it as their only source and for those that just simply enjoy it. These threads have been a foundation for great Hogville discussions and that tradition continues today as this is NOT a read only thread (all Hogville posting rules apply).

Veteran play-by-play man, PoconoHog plans to provide play-by-play narrative for this game.  Razorbacks #1 and I look forward to assisting as needed for this game and hope that the many others will continue to bring quality input to the game threads. JHicks should be able to provide pitching stats and other information. GHG!  :razorback:

If anyone would like to do some play-by-play, just say so. You can PM me or Pocono or Razorback#1 if you have questions and don't want to post them in public.

You can do it for a inning or two or more. You do not have to do it exactly the way Pocono does because like Pocono says, there is no right or wrong way to do it. Just describe the plays in your own words. Also feel free to add your own graphics or stats, etc.

There is one thing that is almost a 100% requirement. You need a radio or access to the "live audio" through the "ArkansasRazorback.com" website. This helps you to have enough time to make your post before the play has been over with for a long time on TV. We would rather be ahead of SECNETWORK+ instead of behind SECNETWORK+. It also gives you time to make corrections.   

As always, quality input is welcomed by any member in good standing.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Accu-Weather for Columbia, SC for Friday, including hourly report and weekend report.
Friday - High = 72 degrees, Lo = 52 degrees, mostly cloudy, chance of rain less than 10%.

Friday's     Probable Pitchers     W-L    APP   GS    ERA     IP     SO   BB
    ARK  RHP    Dom Taccolini         3-0       4      4     2.16    25.0    23    5
    USC  RHP   Clarke Schmidt        4-0       4      4       .32    28.1    12    2

Clarke Schmidt Bio:   http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/clarke_schmidt_939397.html

TEAM COMPARISONS:
                                                                           | Nat'l |   Runs  |  Runs    |Runs |             
                   | W/L  | RPI |  NPI |  SOS |Conference| Rank | Scored | Allowed | =/-  |Streaks |Last 10|
        ARK     | 15-3 | 192 |   76 |  284   | SEC 0-0  |  #13  |   8.2    |  3.7      | +4.5| 5 Wins | 7-3    |
        USC     | 17-2 |   6   |   13 |   54    | SEC 0-0  |  #12  |   7.5    |  2.4      | +5.1| 7 Wins | 8-2    |

HITTING                  SC    ARK
Batting Average     .323   .295
Runs Scored           142    147
Hits                       211    178
Doubles                  36      35
Triples                     0        6
Home Runs             16      23
Runs Batted In       130    133
Slugging Percent    .452   .487
Walks                      88    100
Hit by Pitch              22      18
Strikeouts              108    105
On Base Percent    .415   .402
Stolen Bases/Attp  30-36 19-24

PITCHING
Earned Run Average      1.97     3.27
Innings Pitched           169.0   165.0
Hits Allowed                  122     136
Runs Allowed                  46      66
Earned Runs Allowed       37      60
Walks                            58      56
Strikeouts                    184     156
Opposing Batting Avg   .201   .231

FIELDING
Fielding Percentage       .981  .976

ARKANSAS PREVIEW:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/hogs-ready-to-go-for-sec-opener-at-south-carolina/

ARKANSAS GAME NOTES:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Arkansas-Notes-South-Carolina.pdf

ARKANSAS STATS:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/baseball/2016/teamcume.htm

SO. CAROLINA PREVIEW:
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/031716aaa.html

SO. CAROLINA GAME NOTES:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/scar/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2015-16/release/release_20160317aaa.pdf

SO. CAROLINA  STATS:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/scar/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2015-16/stats/season_stats.pdf

SO. CAROLINA ROSTER:
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/scar-m-basebl-mtt.html

SO. CAROLINA BASEBALL WEBSITE:
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-basebl/scar-m-basebl-body.html

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

So Carolina's Founders Park is considered to be one of the best college baseball parks in the country. Some consider it to be in the same category  as Baum Stadium in Fayetteville.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/facilities/carolina-stadium.html

Opened: 2009
◾Capacity: 8,242
◾Left field: 325 ft.
◾Center field: 400 ft.
◾Right field: 325 ft.
◾Weight room: 3,900 square ft.
◾Indoor batting tunnels: 4
◾Grand Opening  Feb. 21, 2009

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Keys to the game: South Carolina vs. Arkansas
SEC Network's Chris Burke and Kyle Peterson discuss what each team needs to do to come out on top this weekend
Video - 2 minutes, 34 seconds total
http://www.secsports.com/video/14992092/south-carolina-vs-arkansas

Four SEC players that are must-sees
SEC Network's Chris Burke explains four SEC baseball players that fans should know heading into conference play
http://www.secsports.com/video/14992092/south-carolina-vs-arkansas
Zach Johnson JACKSON!!!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

March 17, 2016, 04:41:45 am #6 Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:14:25 am by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Friday's Hogs vs Gamecocks game will be partially televised on the SEC Network's Bases Loaded programing.

For more information see Game #19 Thread, Reply #1.
HERE:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=610634.msg10233833#msg10233833

Turn volume up and click here:
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__Darth_Vader_Defense_March.mp3

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Kevin on March 17, 2016, 07:25:04 am
It is a great place to watch a game.
Just from pictures from the outside, I don't see how people can rank it up there with us.

JackMcQueen

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on March 17, 2016, 02:47:23 am
Friday's     Probable Pitchers     W-L    APP   GS    ERA     IP     SO   BB
    USC  RHP   Clarke Schmidt       4-0      4      4       .32   28.1    12    2
Schmidt has started against Albany, Penn State, Clemson, & Charleston Southern.

Clemson is the only of those four schools that posed a legit threat to him, & in that game he went 8 innings, gave up 5 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, & 9 K's.

Carolina is also averaging 8.5 per Clarke Schmidt start this season.
2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

yraciv

I think we get to Schmidt. Law of averages says that ERA has to go up quick. Hopefully Taco brings his A game and we get the win! Bummed I'm flying into Augusta, hour away, the day after. Would have been nice to get down there early and see another college ballpark!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: yraciv on March 17, 2016, 08:25:06 am
I think we get to Schmidt. Law of averages says that ERA has to go up quick. Hopefully Taco brings his A game and we get the win! Bummed I'm flying into Augusta, hour away, the day after. Would have been nice to get down there early and see another college ballpark!
That stinks to be so close in time and distance. USCe and MSU would be the top 2 SEC ball parks I would like to go to right now.

It would be nice to get to him early, but he leads their team in IP (28.1) by far and their team ERA is 1.97 and it looks like they use a bunch of guys, like we do. If we get to him, they have plenty more lined up behind him.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on March 17, 2016, 08:31:40 am
That stinks to be so close in time and distance. USCe and MSU would be the top 2 SEC ball parks I would like to go to right now.

It would be nice to get to him early, but he leads their team in IP (28.1) by far and their team ERA is 1.97 and it looks like they use a bunch of guys, like we do. If we get to him, they have plenty more lined up behind him.
Have you been to Auburn's park?

Kevin

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on March 17, 2016, 08:17:19 am
Just from pictures from the outside, I don't see how people can rank it up there with us.

seats are closer to the field.  their scoreboard used to be better.
it is a nice place, nothing better than baum
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

trippigs

I bet DVH will have our guys ready to go. Figure this might be a pitchers game and we may need to manufacture a run or two. Our little rocket, Simms, might just be the difference. GO HOGS!!!!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: trippigs on March 17, 2016, 11:11:00 am
I bet DVH will have our guys ready to go. Figure this might be a pitchers game and we may need to manufacture a run or two. Our little rocket, Simms, might just be the difference. GO HOGS!!!!
Agree with all of this.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Kevin on March 17, 2016, 10:57:27 am
seats are closer to the field.  their scoreboard used to be better.
it is a nice place, nothing better than baum

They can't compete with this!

tennesseehogwild

Gonna be a rteally tough series to win, but man it would be sweet to take a couple of games at their place.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: trippigs on March 17, 2016, 11:11:00 am
Think the SEC announcers will say "Simms is fast but he's not Tanner English fast"?

Pigliophile

It's nice, but it's no Baum. Let's get a couple wins this weekend and set the tone for conference play!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Pigliophile on March 17, 2016, 01:25:07 pm
It's nice, but it's no Baum. Let's get a couple wins this weekend and set the tone for conference play!
Taking this series would be huge. Taking 2 of 3 from the #6 RPI team and doing it on the road would really help our SOS and RPI and probably put us in the top 10 in some of the polls. Plus, give our guys "some more" confidence. I say "some more" confidence, because we already have some guys playing with a lot of confidence.

I know they copied some parts of our stadium, which is fine, many have done so, but copying our video's is stretching it a little bit to far. I started watching this video and thought for a few seconds that it was ours.

https://twitter.com/GamecockBasebll/status/710519097394593793

DiamondHogFan

Winning this series would put us very close, if not in, the top 10.  A sweep would for sure lock us in the top 10 come Monday.

I say that to say this...It will be very, very difficult to win 2 at USC-E.  But difficult doesn't mean impossible and our guys have the skills to get it done.  I expect to see a focused ball club ready to play like we saw in Houston.  Hopefully the road trip will be good for us.  We got a little to relaxed against EIU and Gonzaga it seemed.  Our pitching staff needs to lock in, and we can't blow opportunities to score runs when we have the chance.

Go Hogs!  :razorback:

JackMcQueen

FWIW,

Dave Van Horn is 20-15 versus South Carolina in his time at Arkansas, 9-5 in Columbia, 8-7 at Baum, 3-3 at neutral sites.
2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

tennesseehogwild

WarchESPN not showing Hogs-Cocks  or any college baseball on listings here.....Scratch that...when I refreshed screen on upcoming there it was.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

SEC Network Bases Loaded: All 14 teams in action

http://secsports.go.com/article/14980575

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- SEC Network presents a Bases Loaded special Friday, March 18, the opening night of Southeastern Conference baseball, featuring every baseball team in the SEC, eight of which are ranked in the Top 25. The show is a live compilation of seven games - all 14 teams - taking place that evening across the southeast. Kyle Peterson and Chris Burke, will join Dari Nowkhah to provide analysis and play by play for the Bases Loaded presentation.

Every Bases Loaded game is available in its entirety, streaming live on the ESPN app and WatchESPN via the SEC Network + channel. In addition to the studio calls from Nowkhah, Burke and Peterson, on-site commentators will be in the booth for each individual SEC Network + game.

SEC Network Bases Loaded Schedule

Date : FRIDAY MARCH 18th
                                                                                                                                                                                             (Eastern Time)           Game                Network
7:00 p.m. Bases Loaded: Missouri at No. 1 Florida SEC Network +/SEC Network
7:00 p.m. Bases Loaded: Kentucky at Georgia SEC Network +/SEC Network
7:00 p.m. Bases Loaded: No. 13 Ole Miss at Tennessee SEC Network +/SEC Network
7:30 p.m. Bases Loaded: No. 14 Arkansas at No. 17 South Carolina SEC Network +/SEC Network
7:30 p.m. Bases Loaded: No. 3 Texas A&M at Auburn SEC Network +/SEC Network
8:00 p.m. Bases Loaded: Alabama at No. 7 LSU SEC Network +/SEC Network
8:00 p.m. Bases Loaded: No. 20 Mississippi State at No. 2 Vanderbilt SEC Network +/SEC Network

Bacons Rebellion

They're only going to televise shortstop, third base and left field.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on March 17, 2016, 06:50:55 pm
They're only going to televise shortstop, third base and left field.
I heard it was only called strikes.

BigBrandonAllenFan

March 18, 2016, 11:03:08 am #30 Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:59:51 am by BigBrandonAllenFan

Bite that chicken in half, purdy boy!!!

...Or drown him in slobber! 

It don't make no never mind to me either way!

It's the battle of the barn yard!

TuckFexas

Based off what I've seen so far this year, I won't be surprised if we get swept. Conversely, I won't be surprised if we sweep them. ;D
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

swineology

Quote from: TuckFexas on March 18, 2016, 11:22:44 am
Based off what I've seen so far this year, I won't be surprised if we get swept. Conversely, I won't be surprised if we sweep them. ;D

I expect DVH to play lot's of small ball.

Go Diamond Hogs!

PigWig

If I'm being honest, I'd take 1-2 if offered right now.  First true road series, first SEC series, big step up in competition, still working out the rotation and lineup, etc.  With Auburn and Mizzou the next two weekends at Baum, anything but a sweep would be totally fine.

Like you said though, I wouldn't be surprised to see us win the series.  We seem to have played up to our competition level thus far, and this will easily be the best lineup the two freshman starters from SC have faced in their lives. 

PigWig

I'll also add, I hope Spanberger is in the lineup all weekend.  He's got a lot of work to do on his plate discipline, but the games in this series could easily be won or lost by a run, and he is a threat to go yard every time he is at bat.  Bury him at the bottom of the order, but get him in there. 

JHicks3636

Nothing like going out on a limb there. You left out the 2-1 series split either way. Just kidding you.

TuckFexas

Quote from: JHicks3636 on March 18, 2016, 11:39:57 am
Nothing like going out on a limb there. You left out the 2-1 series split either way. Just kidding you.

Haha, I figure it will be a split series honestly. If the team that went to Houston shows up then we're gonna take at least 2. If we play like we did Wednesday we're in trouble.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

LA Football fan

Hitters used to 90+ mph stuff can have problems with timing facing subpar pitching mid week.   Maybe the reason we did so well in Houston in that we were facing some good pitchers with good velocity.   USCe will throw some good pitching at us and we should see if our hitters can produce like at Houston of if that could have been a fluke weekend for us.  Hopefully our hitters can get some key hits this weekend and our pitching can hold up.   Would be good to start SEC play winning a series against a perennial powerhouse program.

Kevin

#6 rpi team, what a joke. Only team they have played is Clemson
I will leave it at that for now

PoconoHog

Starting lineup for the Game Cocks...

Cone  RF
Tolbert  1B
Jones  DH
Destino  LF
Thompson-Williams  CF
Bride  3B
Cullen  C
Arendas  2B
Mooney  SS

RHP Schmidt on the mound

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Kevin

PoconoHog

Quote from: Kevin on March 18, 2016, 05:49:29 pm
Do we have our line up
Not yet...waiting for them to post it on twitter or on the statmonitor
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

0                    First Pitch at 6:30pm                      0

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |    |  R  | H   | E  |LOB
ARK          |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0     
USC          |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0     

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

PoconoHog

Starting lineup for the Hogs...

Arledge  LF
Cole  RF
Eagan  CF
Gassaway  1B
Nomura  2B
Shaddy  3B
Bonfield  DH
Bernal  SS
Pennell  C

Taccolini on the mound