Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't Panic!

Started by whosiskid, November 09, 2012, 07:07:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

whosiskid

Those are the words on the outside of The Hitchhiker's Guide the the Galaxy.

With players decommitting, others taking officials elsewhere, and rumors of others thinking of reopening their recruitment, things look bleaker here than in a . . . well, I simply don't remember a time quite a low as it looks right now. But Petrino's massive, world historical screw up was one for the annals. Coaches don't sink programs like this very often. Just ask the fine folks at Penn State.

But a month from now things will be different. We'll have a new coach in place. Maybe Mike Gundy. Possibly Gary Patterson. While Charlie Strong just might be the best candidate of the bunch (Bobby Petrino never had a year as good at Louisville as Strong is this season). Or maybe we call on Butch Davis. But someone will be at the helm. And the program will almost instantly be vastly more stable than before. It will no longer be a rudderless ship. If, say, we were to sign Strong, we'd immediately lock in just about all of our prospects. Ryan Timmons, who knows better than anyone who we are recruiting what Strong has done at Louisvile, would probably commit immediately. Hunter would reaffirm his commitment. A lot of uncommitted prospects currently undecided will suddenly give Arkansas a serious look and would certainly sit down and talk with Strong (or Gundy or Patterson or Davis or whoever).

The mere act of hiring a coach will help right the program almost literally overnight. That doesn't, of course, mean that we instantly will be back on track. But with a new coach and the memories of very good success only a season back, we could help turn the program around very quickly.

Also, keep in mind that we had what turned out to be a very good group of freshmen this year. I don't remember the last time so many true freshmen made such very real contributions. And we have several more outstanding ones who were redshirted, especially on defense, though also a couple of offensive linemen.

I honestly feel that the program has bottomed out. It will stay that was for at least three to four weeks. But the second the regular season is over we can go about locking up a new head coach. Then everything changes.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

davispard

Quote from: whosiskid on November 09, 2012, 07:07:45 am

With players decommitting, others taking officials elsewhere, and rumors of others thinking of reopening their recruitment, things look bleaker here than in a . . . well, I simply don't remember a time quite a low as it looks right now. But Petrino's massive, world historical screw up was one for the annals. Coaches don't sink programs like this very often. Just ask the fine folks at Penn State.

But a month from now things will be different. We'll have a new coach in place. Maybe Mike Gundy. Possibly Gary Patterson. While Charlie Strong just might be the best candidate of the bunch (Bobby Petrino never had a year as good at Louisville as Strong is this season). Or maybe we call on Butch Davis. But someone will be at the helm. And the program will almost instantly be vastly more stable than before. It will no longer be a rudderless ship. If, say, we were to sign Strong, we'd immediately lock in just about all of our prospects. Ryan Timmons, who knows better than anyone who we are recruiting what Strong has done at Louisvile, would probably commit immediately. Hunter would reaffirm his commitment. A lot of uncommitted prospects currently undecided will suddenly give Arkansas a serious look and would certainly sit down and talk with Strong (or Gundy or Patterson or Davis or whoever).

The mere act of hiring a coach will help right the program almost literally overnight. That doesn't, of course, mean that we instantly will be back on track. But with a new coach and the memories of very good success only a season back, we could help turn the program around very quickly.

Also, keep in mind that we had what turned out to be a very good group of freshmen this year. I don't remember the last time so many true freshmen made such very real contributions. And we have several more outstanding ones who were redshirted, especially on defense, though also a couple of offensive linemen.

I honestly feel that the program has bottomed out. It will stay that was for at least three to four weeks. But the second the regular season is over we can go about locking up a new head coach. Then everything changes.
Way too much "common sense" for this board..!!!   But, you are "right on"....

Tim Harris

Quote from: davispard on November 09, 2012, 07:17:55 am
Way too much "common sense" for this board..!!!   But, you are "right on"....

That is why you come to the recruiting forum.  For the most part things are civil and you can get good conversations about football.

Tim Harris

I'm ready for us to get our new coach.  I love spending time in the recruiting forum but so far this year it has been pretty dead.  That was to be expected though.  I'm hoping for lots of action in December/January.

tiber

(Bobby Petrino never had a year as good at Louisville as Strong is this season).

Um, Petrino went 12-1 with an Orange Bowl win.

Call us when Strong wins the Orange Bowl.

Louisville's only ranked opponent they face all year is Rutgers (23) in their final season game. 

But whatever makes people feel better I guess.  Spin away.

Recruiting is a joke this year, and will likely continue to be so for awhile with all the ammo Long has given opposing programs. 

redleg

Arkansas' 2013 recruiting class is about to fall apart in a big way, especially if Hunter Henry flips to Alabama. I think we can count on Harding decommitting, along with probably Tavarres, Bell, Fondal, and maybe Skinner or Beanum.
Some of these guys might come back once the new head coach is announced, but it will depend upon who that guy is.
Hogs fans had better prepare themselves for a rough 2013 season, too. The Hogs might make it to a bowl game next season. It'll be at least 2014 before we start to see another good, solid Razorback squad.
I don't think we, as fans, realize the extent of the damage that Bobby Petrino has done to this program. And it is ALL his fault.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

redleg

Quote from: tiber on November 09, 2012, 09:18:16 am
Um, Petrino went 12-1 with an Orange Bowl win.

Call us when Strong wins the Orange Bowl.

Louisville's only ranked opponent they face all year is Rutgers (23) in their final season game. 

But whatever makes people feel better I guess.  Spin away.

Recruiting is a joke this year, and will likely continue to be so for awhile with all the ammo Long has given opposing programs.

I think you meant to say "all the ammo Petrino has given opposing programs". ALL of the bad crap that has happened to Arkansas this year is Bobby Petrino's fault. ALL OF IT! It's not Long's fault that Petrino doesn't have any morals or scrupples. To blame Jeff Long is an act of foolishness and shortsightedness.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

tiber

Quote from: redleg on November 09, 2012, 09:19:36 am

I don't think we, as fans, realize the extent of the damage that Bobby Petrino has done to this program. And it is ALL his fault.

Right. 

You're a good little Razorback fan. 

tiber

Quote from: redleg on November 09, 2012, 09:24:09 am
I think you meant to say "all the ammo Petrino has given opposing programs". ALL of the bad crap that has happened to Arkansas this year is Bobby Petrino's fault. ALL OF IT! It's not Long's fault that Petrino doesn't have any morals or scrupples. To blame Jeff Long is an act of foolishness and shortsightedness.

I don't care if Petrino screwed or hired your sister.

I don't care about his morals, and it's scruples but this is an Arkansas board so don't hurt yourself. 

Rockpig5

December can't get her quick enough!!

whosiskid

Way too many people mistakenly believe that Jeff Long had any choice in firing Petrino. His hands were completely tied and it is possible that he may even have wanted to keep Petrino but was told by the university's lawyers that he had to be fired. I've tried to explain this on other boards but I'm about to give up. To put it in the simplest possible terms: in employment situations you can't have one set of rules for one person and a different set of rules for another. If anyone has ever been fired for ethics violations at the University, then anyone else guilty of similar ethics violations (such as hiring your girlfriend for a job that a couple of hundred others had also applied for) MUST be fire. Otherwise you open yourself up for a world of hurt from an almost inconceivable number of sources. Anyone who had ever been fired at U of A could have sued. All the people who applied for that position could have filed a class action lawsuit. The Arkansas Department of Labor and Federal Department of Labor could have launched investigations for unfair labor practices. The EEOC could have investigated for discrimination (and discrimination can involve far more than race, religion, or gender). The university lawyers would have explained to Long that HE HAD NO CHOICE. Petrino had to be fired.

Some people babble like Long arbitrarily decided to get rid of Petrino. But he didn't. And let me state this bluntly: Petrino was not fired in the end for ethics violations, he was fired for legal reasons. Legally, if you have fired others for ethics violations, you have to fire anyone guilty of serious ethics violations. And giving your girlfriend a job is a very, very, very serious violation. He was NOT fired for adultery or for having sex. If he had not gotten this woman a job, he would not have been fired.

People bizarrely assume that events take place in vacuums. That anyone at the University (let alone Long) could have allowed Petrino to stay as coach, if only they had been willing to. People assume Long was being petty or arbitrary or trivial or whatever, instead of the truth, which is that multiple lawyers explained to him that by the nature of labor law, he HAD to fire Petrino, if the university had EVER fired anyone for ethics violations. Employers are NEVER allowed to make exceptions.

So yes, this whole mess was 100% Bobby Petrino's fault. It isn't even possible to conceive it as Jeff Long's fault. In fact, if Long had not fired Petrino, he would have been fired himself, and then someone else would have fired Petrino. The moment it came out that Petrino gave his girlfriend a job, his goose was cooked. And the 2012 football season shot.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

tiber

Quote from: whosiskid on November 09, 2012, 01:26:12 pm
Way too many people mistakenly believe that Jeff Long had any choice in firing Petrino. His hands were completely tied and it is possible that he may even have wanted to keep Petrino but was told by the university's lawyers that he had to be fired. I've tried to explain this on other boards but I'm about to give up. To put it in the simplest possible terms: in employment situations you can't have one set of rules for one person and a different set of rules for another. If anyone has ever been fired for ethics violations at the University, then anyone else guilty of similar ethics violations (such as hiring your girlfriend for a job that a couple of hundred others had also applied for) MUST be fire. Otherwise you open yourself up for a world of hurt from an almost inconceivable number of sources. Anyone who had ever been fired at U of A could have sued. All the people who applied for that position could have filed a class action lawsuit. The Arkansas Department of Labor and Federal Department of Labor could have launched investigations for unfair labor practices. The EEOC could have investigated for discrimination (and discrimination can involve far more than race, religion, or gender). The university lawyers would have explained to Long that HE HAD NO CHOICE. Petrino had to be fired.

Some people babble like Long arbitrarily decided to get rid of Petrino. But he didn't. And let me state this bluntly: Petrino was not fired in the end for ethics violations, he was fired for legal reasons. Legally, if you have fired others for ethics violations, you have to fire anyone guilty of serious ethics violations. And giving your girlfriend a job is a very, very, very serious violation. He was NOT fired for adultery or for having sex. If he had not gotten this woman a job, he would not have been fired.

People bizarrely assume that events take place in vacuums. That anyone at the University (let alone Long) could have allowed Petrino to stay as coach, if only they had been willing to. People assume Long was being petty or arbitrary or trivial or whatever, instead of the truth, which is that multiple lawyers explained to him that by the nature of labor law, he HAD to fire Petrino, if the university had EVER fired anyone for ethics violations. Employers are NEVER allowed to make exceptions.

So yes, this whole mess was 100% Bobby Petrino's fault. It isn't even possible to conceive it as Jeff Long's fault. In fact, if Long had not fired Petrino, he would have been fired himself, and then someone else would have fired Petrino. The moment it came out that Petrino gave his girlfriend a job, his goose was cooked. And the 2012 football season shot.

That's a lot of long-winded wrong.  Petrino did not hire Dorrell.  He recommended that she be hired.  We're in the Recruiting Forum but I digress:

In documents obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, University of Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long approved an expedited process that resulted in Dorrell's hiring last month.

Clayton Hamilton, writing on Long's behalf, requested to UA assistant director of affirmative action Danielle Wood on March 19 to waive a 30-day job posting requirement so "an individual can be identified as soon as possible."

The position was posted on Feb. 28. Interviews were completed March 12-16, and Dorrell was hired on March 20.

Dorrell started the position March 23, but she was not officially introduced by the university until March 28.
Hamilton, who is listed as the athletics department's chief financial officer, wrote, "Timeliness during the process will be essential since any delay could result in missing a critical recruiting period when prospects are identified and plans are made to invite them to our campus for a recruiting visit."

Dorrell was one of three finalists who interviewed for the position. The names of the other finalists are redacted, but the documents released include travel and interview itineraries for Ben Wilkerson and Tiffany Fields.

All three finalists for the position went through an extensive one-day interview process, meeting with eight athletics department staffers, including former head football coach, Petrino.

elviscat

Do you really think JF will hire someone outstanding? You better be prepared to like the coach at Michigan State, I understand that he has been contacted by JL. Long, couldn't make a great choice if his a-- was on fire. Mark my word we will end up with a third tier coach and JL will sink like the Titanic.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: whosiskid on November 09, 2012, 01:26:12 pm

But it had already happened.  If people wanted to sue they would have done it whether or not CBP was fired. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.