Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5 years ago: Interesting Looking Back On This...

Started by Michael_E_Davis, September 25, 2017, 12:22:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Tusks

If there was such a thing as a 'vote of no confidence' for Long, he should get one.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hawgmasta

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 25, 2017, 12:22:44 am
The writer was scary accurate.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2012/jeff-long-arkansas-athletic-director/

Yes.  I think an eventual BB transition could be amicable and even beneficial to his career and our program. 

JL is a whole other ballgame.

Yikes 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

wachhog

Reading that makes me furious all over again. I had forgotten that John  L. called himself a "CEO coach" who relied on assistants just like our current buffoon.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: wachhog on September 25, 2017, 12:33:16 am
Reading that makes me furious all over again. I had forgotten that John  L. called himself a "CEO coach" who relied on assistants just like our current buffoon.

You realize Frank was kind of like that CEO type also as well as a host of other successful head coaches.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

onebadrubi

That article loses its credibility to me when it blames Long for the way petrino parted Atlanta.  Long didn't have anything to do with Petrino parting that place.  Petrino left a crap show because of the Vick thing, however though I do believe he did it wrong to those players. 

nwahogfan1

I do not think Long wanted to promote Paul Petrino so he brings in Smith.  I thought it was a good move also at the time.

I also thought CBB was a good move at the time.  So I am not blaming Long for that.

But I do blame him for the long and very expensive Buy Out for CBB when CBB had a very bad losing record in the SEC at the time.  Sure after the Texas win we thought CBB had the train running down hill but that buy out was too expensive and way too long.

hoglady

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 25, 2017, 06:48:00 am
That article loses its credibility to me when it blames Long for the way petrino parted Atlanta.  Long didn't have anything to do with Petrino parting that place.  Petrino left a crap show because of the Vick thing, however though I do believe he did it wrong to those players. 

I believe I read back then that Long told Petrino he had to take the Arkansas job NOW or it was no deal.
Long wouldn't wait for the NFL season to end.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 25, 2017, 06:48:00 am

Petrino was leaving Atlanta that season no matter what I believe. It was just a matter of how soon could he get out of town. Not sure if Long would have waited until the end of the NFL season.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgon

Quote from: hoglady on September 25, 2017, 07:40:24 am
I believe I read back then that Long told Petrino he had to take the Arkansas job NOW or it was no deal.

That's exactly right.  And then through the entire crap show that Petrino went through after that, and remember, it was bad...Long could have taken some of the heat of of Petrino by simply admitting that he gave Petrino no choice.   But he didn't, of course.

The Boar War

Quote from: hoglady on September 25, 2017, 07:40:24 am

There was a lot of heat on Long after both Bowden and Grobe turned him down.  I'm sure he felt he couldn't afford to wait another 3 weeks.  At the time Michigan (and if I remember correctly another "name" school) was/were looking for a head coach.  Obviously it wasn't a good look but I can't blame Long for pulling the trigger.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogwild

QuoteThere's nothing in Long's past performance to give Arkansas fans much confidence in his ability to hire his third coach in a year.

Prior to Arkansas, Long's only football coaching hire was Dave Wannstedt at Pittsburgh; it's not exactly rocket science to hire an alumnus of the school who was a two-time NFL head coach and, by all accounts, a model citizen.

Now that the Petrino and Smith firings have blown up in Long's face, Arkansas Chancellor G. David Gearhart needs to think long and hard–no pun intended–whether he trusts Long to get things right the third time around.

4th time is a charm?

Letsroll1200

5 years ago you guys was patting him on the back for hiring Bret! Just stop it!

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 25, 2017, 08:59:24 am

Everyone was patting ARKANSAS on the back for hiring a guy who had just won the BIG10 for a 3rd time. You can look back in hindsight and say it didn't work out, but not one thing AT THE TIME was bad about that hire.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tusks

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 25, 2017, 08:59:24 am

Ummm not this guy.  I said when he was hired that he wouldn't work out.  I said it was HDN 2.0 and of course was roasted.  I HATE HDN but in terms of wins it's been no where close to HDN 2.0.

The two best coaches since JFB has been Holtz and BP, what do those two guys have in common ?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DeltaBoy

Quote from: tusked on September 26, 2017, 04:38:11 pm
Ummm not this guy.  I said when he was hired that he wouldn't work out.  I said it was HDN 2.0 and of course was roasted.  I HATE HDN but in terms of wins it's been no where close to HDN 2.0.

The two best coaches since JFB has been Holtz and BP, what do those two guys have in common ?

They were hard to work for and with cause they were DEMANDING!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Jimbob111

I said the same thing. ANY competent couch would have won more than 3 games that first season, no ifs, ands, or buts...
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Jimbob111 on September 27, 2017, 08:53:26 am
I said the same thing. ANY competent couch would have won more than 3 games that first season, no ifs, ands, or buts...

Yep

hobhog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 25, 2017, 09:08:30 am
Everyone was patting ARKANSAS on the back for hiring a guy who had just won the BIG10 for a 3rd time. You can look back in hindsight and say it didn't work out, but not one thing AT THE TIME was bad about that hire.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hobhog on September 27, 2017, 02:08:07 pm

It like marrying  a hot chick only to see her bloom up 200 pounds , gives you no kids and never cleans the house.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 25, 2017, 12:22:44 am
The writer was scary accurate.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2012/jeff-long-arkansas-athletic-director/

First David G. Gearhart is not in a position to think about Long, since he retired as Chancellor in 2015.

Second:  Long is not the man to lead our athletics program anymore.  The most important thing an AD can do is hire the football coach among the stable of coaches that lead the other programs in his department.  If there is to be a replacement for CBB it MUST not be made by Long.  He's proved over time that he doesn't understand what goes into making a good coach and what attributes such a person needs to have for success, especially in the SEC. 

Pitt is one glaring example of Long's poor judgement. And the attempt to get Grobe and the former Clemson coach, before he was made to take a look at Petrino by boosters or certain B of T members.  People should listen to what Barry Alvarez said about how he handles his coaches at UW in his talk before the Little Rock TD Club.  Granted there aren't many out there like Barry, but it gives you some perspective of how a good AD might view his job with coaches who run programs.

Long can't possibly know how coaches are doing by watching them in practice, at meetings and by their results on the field.  He just doesn't have the expertise.

Third:  Long didn't use one of BP's assistant to coach in 2012 because he didn't want that person to succeed.  There was a great danger that I'm sure he felt if, say, Bobby's brother got the interim job in 2012.  What if there was success during the season followed by intense clamoring to keep the interim for the permanent job?  Same goes for anyone else on the staff that would have kept continuity going in the interim year.  NO, I believe Long wanted to wipe the slate clean with his own choice.

The only problem with his own choice is that he's not competent to make that choice.

DeltaBoy

Grag T

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2017, 02:10:09 pm
It like marrying  a hot chick only to see her bloom up 200 pounds , gives you no kids and never cleans the house.

It might have taken 66,000 posts but this one is hilarious  ;D
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde