Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My take so far

Started by mizzouman, November 24, 2012, 10:20:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Knowing what I know about how MA runs a program, Arkansas will be fine.  But, the style is the style.  It gets you back into a game, but it will also lose you a game. 

Arkansas looks exactly like we looked in MA's second year.  Hopefully, help is on the way for next year.  Next year is key.  If MA doesn't get it done next year, it won't ever happen.

But, we are only a few games into this season, so no need to panic.

hardwoodhog3306

if he went to an elite 8 with a program he had to completely rebuild with much less tradition than we have here.... I fully expect Frank haithe to continue to get the recruits and underachieve with poor coaching. Not worried about the hogs. Mike anderson is a proven coach. I say we improve from last year and then make college basketball teams fear BWA and hogball in year 3. take it to the bank. He came home and mizzu is worse off bc of it.  :razorback:
Bobby Portis is the real deal. Learn that name. you will hear it a lot in the future

Danny J

November 24, 2012, 11:28:38 pm #2 Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:03:05 am by Danny J (headhawg7)
My take so far? No in game adjustments to what is happening on the court.

Will we be fine? Yes.

This team needs mental toughness and MA has to find a way to teach them. He has to baby them along. Right now we have 9 new players playing with each other against decent competition. It is a work in progress. The losses in Vegas are both on coach. I love MA but he has to adjust. Nolan didn't press and trap the entire game.

When you are getting beat off the dribble, fouling and forced into a defense you can't play it usually spells disaster. Up 12 we should have taken the foot off the throttle and slowed tempo a bit and run when we could. When we were on offense the team was panicking with 15-20 seconds on the shot clock.

We will get better. I still think it will be February before we see any real improvement as a team.

ThreeWayInn

Quote from: hardwoodhog3306 on November 24, 2012, 11:17:40 pm
if he went to an elite 8 with a program he had to completely rebuild with much less tradition than we have here.... I fully expect Frank haithe to continue to get the recruits and underachieve with poor coaching. Not worried about the hogs. Mike anderson is a proven coach. I say we improve from last year and then make college basketball teams fear BWA and hogball in year 3. take it to the bank. He came home and mizzu is worse off bc of it.  :razorback:
Bobby Portis is the real deal. Learn that name. you will hear it a lot in the future

I think MA gets it done...as I have stated before...I think this team will be a tourney team....and will make a big jump by conference play.

With that said...there is a whole in your reasoning...if Frank Haith is such a bad coach and MA is so superior....why did he take Mike's players minus one of their best due to injury...and have a much better season?  We can give MA credit for bringing in the players....but while the group from Missouri was a disappointment in MA's last season there...they perhaps overachieved under Frank Haith.

I have family who are Mizzou fans...they tell me Mike knew he was leaving about midway through the season and lost his team...for whatever reason...the team just did not perform for him.  With Haith...they were completely different.

As I said...I still think MA is the right man for the job and we will be happy..and I think that will be sooner rather than later.

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Lanny

Season is to young to be worried.  Glad the Razorbacks are playing competitive teams early on.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

SWD26

Quote from: Lanny on November 25, 2012, 07:14:57 am
Season is to young to be worried.  Glad the Razorbacks are playing competitive teams early on.

I agree, I thought that we might be a little up and down this first part of the season having so many new players. There certainly are some holes that need to be filled and I believe that many of them will be as the season goes on. The "size" problem is something that can not be fully fixed this year unless Mickelson decides that he wants, and is able, to battle down low but Jacorey Williams seems to be coming along fine and should only get better.

It is games like this that, while unpleasant to lose, will make us better. As I went down through the schedule at the start of the year, marking wins/losses, I had us at 4-1 at this point; We are, as it now stands, only one game behind this. So it isn't all bad yet, they will improve, the sky hasn't fallen! Keep the faith Hog fans, good times will come again!

The_Iceman

No seniors. Marshawn playing tough big men for the first time in 2 years. Majority of team is Freshmen and Sophomore.

So this is a good learning experience. But it is only effective if they actually learn and apply it for later.

Corkscrew Johnson

Foundation being laid.  After all, look what he did at Missouri?  In just 3 years, he took that team as far as it had EVER been in the NCAA tournament.  Ever.  We are heading in the right direction.

99toLife

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 25, 2012, 09:11:45 am
Foundation being laid.  After all, look what he did at Missouri?  In just 3 years, he took that team as far as it had EVER been in the NCAA tournament.  Ever.  We are heading in the right direction.

Quin Snyder did the same thing at Missouri.

three hog night

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 25, 2012, 08:18:40 am
No seniors. Marshawn playing tough big men for the first time in 2 years. Majority of team is Freshmen and Sophomore.

So this is a good learning experience. But it is only effective if they actually learn and apply it for later.

i think we have too many new players thus there is no chemistry yet.   Marshawn has to develop his game again.   BJ and Marshawn have to bond and respect each other.   Marshawn and Mickelson have to adjust to physical play better.  Reality is that they are not bangers, but they could do a better job of keeping a tougher attitude and position.   Position in this offense is damaged by the release for traps.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

jry04

Quote from: 99toLife on November 25, 2012, 09:15:53 am

Quin Snyder did the same thing at Missouri.
Is it hard to understand the difference in that, though? Snyder was following the greatest coach to ever coach at Missouri. He took over a team coming off a 20 win season and a NCAAT appearance. Mike Anderson took over a team that had a losing record the previous year, and 3 of the 4 previous seasons. They had not been to the NCAAT in 4 years. By his 3rd year they were in the Elite 8 and conference champs.

elksnort

I did not watch the Wisconsin game, nor the game against Arizona State, but against the weaker teams this year, I've been impressed with the Hogs' athleticism, ball movement, etc.

But, the 0-2 this past several days might be a foreshadowing. Here is a quote from a friend of mine that knows basketball pretty well, when I asked him what the problems are,

"Shooting again, Marshawn Powell blanking soft. Mike won't play Mickelson enough"

Just sharing a quote from a knowledgeable Razorback fan.

rude1

Like it or not this season was going to be a work in progress. When you are turning over your roster like CMA is doing there are going to be some growing pains. All these new players and not a difference maker amongst them. We didn't add freshman who were ready to play, we added freshman who are role players that will take time before they are comfortable playing at this level. This is a NCAA bubble team/NIT team at its best.

dsims2k3

Quote from: rude1 on November 25, 2012, 11:12:20 am
Like it or not this season was going to be a work in progress. When you are turning over your roster like CMA is doing there are going to be some growing pains. All these new players and not a difference maker amongst them. We didn't add freshman who were ready to play, we added freshman who are role players that will take time before they are comfortable playing at this level. This is a NCAA bubble team/NIT team at its best.

Agreed
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

KFPowers

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on November 24, 2012, 11:28:38 pm
My take so far? No in game adjustments to what is happening on the court.

This is exactly right.  No one style will work against every team all the time. 

I would also add that this group is not thinking like a team and trusting each other.  They play as individuals especially on offense. - This is shown in the lack of assists.  That is the main reason why they have basically been on a losing streak since the Georgia game towards the end of last season.

I dont think its really a personnel or individual talent issue, but I dont know what its going to take for this group to start getting it and play together.

99toLife

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 25, 2012, 09:30:54 am
Is it hard to understand the difference in that, though? Snyder was following the greatest coach to ever coach at Missouri. He took over a team coming off a 20 win season and a NCAAT appearance. Mike Anderson took over a team that had a losing record the previous year, and 3 of the 4 previous seasons. They had not been to the NCAAT in 4 years. By his 3rd year they were in the Elite 8 and conference champs.

True but it was in his 3rd year after Norm that he took them to the elite 8.. sorry just a fact.

jry04

Quote from: 99toLife on November 25, 2012, 11:37:56 am
True but it was in his 3rd year after Norm that he took them to the elite 8.. sorry just a fact.
The program was not in the same shape it was in when Mike took over. He ran the program into the ground and made them completely irrelevant. They were relevant when Norm was the coach, so it was much easier to recruit and be successful. That wore off and he became unsuccessful.

99toLife

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 25, 2012, 11:41:47 am
The program was not in the same shape it was in when Mike took over. He ran the program into the ground and made them completely irrelevant. They were relevant when Norm was the coach, so it was much easier to recruit and be successful. That wore off and he became unsuccessful.

No argument there, Missouri's program was a train wreck when Mike took over, MUCH worse than what he started with at Arkansas.. Mike will do fine here, folks need to be patient and quit freaking out over one game here and there.. Geez.. His style takes an entire team to understand and that will take a few years.

Hollywood_HOGan45

We need to get us some men!!
Low post players (Powell, Mickelson) are WEAK!!!!

Fayettechill14

Teams that play slow have an advantage in the early part of the season due to inexperience and lack of fatigue. We're not at the point where we can outrun the opposition yet, Arizona State beat us at our own game for part of that one.

Once that press gets turnovers instead of fouls, things will pick up. When our press continues to fail (or foul) we're forced into a half-court game with full-court personnel.

RedSatinHog

MA has turned around programs everywhere he's been.  It takes time to implement a system like his, especially when you start from scratch with players who were in a mindless system like the one which was in place for 4 years prior to his return.  I'm not sweating it.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

three hog night

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on November 26, 2012, 12:11:21 am
Teams that play slow have an advantage in the early part of the season due to inexperience and lack of fatigue. We're not at the point where we can outrun the opposition yet, Arizona State beat us at our own game for part of that one.

Once that press gets turnovers instead of fouls, things will pick up. When our press continues to fail (or foul) we're forced into a half-court game with full-court personnel.

Great points.   I also think it is a function of too many NEW players and NO chemistry yet.   It will come in TIME.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

MIZZOU MSG

I think MA will be fine, i also think Frank will be fine at MIZZOU, and i know MU has never been to a final four, but to say this school doesn't have basketball tradition is a little short sided.