Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Rut

Started by Tick Hog, November 11, 2010, 03:59:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tick Hog

So are the big boys chasing the does yet. I've always been told that it has to be cold to trigger the rut. I did a little research and found that there were several factors some more important than weather. I know there are a lot of folks on here that know a lot more than I do about hunting and would like to here what they have to say about this topic

Tick Hog

Thanks I will be hunting in Sharp county near hardy this weekend. It has been a while since I've seen a good buck chasing and I can't wait to get out there

95_alum

Had a 6pt chasing 3 does on the 31st (Winslow). Have seen a few scrapes but no rubs. My buddie's son shot his first buck on 11/7. The buck had recent lacerations to his face, a slight puncture to his neck and some hair missing on the lower portion at the front of his chest.

SultanofSwine

November 11, 2010, 04:38:51 pm #3 Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:41:04 pm by SultanofSwine
Generally speaking the rut is triggered by the length of daylight. But there are lots of other factors that influence rut activity such as weather patterns, temps and location. Researchers havent figured it all out yet and may never.

For example in parts of florida the rut will peak in August. Go figure that one out. For the area of the state I hunt most of the time, the breeding peak is pretty consistently between Nov 30 and Dec 5th. That said I have been seeing rut activity since the second weekend in Oct with bucks bumping and chasing doe's around. However the scrapes are just now starting to show a little.

Why folks attribute rut activity to cold weather,I think, is because daytime activity will increase with cold clear days and a rising barometer. That doesnt mean that deer arent showing rut signs in warmer weather, just a good bit of it is done at night when temps are better.

Atleast in my experience and based on information for my specific area, the rut timing is pretty consistent year after year. The variable is how much of that activity will be daytime movement. That is where things like weather patterns, temps, mast crops, hunting pressure, etc will have varying levels of impact on your specific area.

If I had to pick 2 things that will have the most impact I would say pressure and weather patterns(fronts). Fronts cause changes in the barometric pressure and daytime movement is usually better on a moving barometer and for me a rising one has been better. We cant control that but can pay attention to it. Pressure is the other thing and the one we can have some degree of control over, esp if you have private ground to hunt. I think lots of folks burn up ther best stands before they should be in them. Understanding how the deer use a piece of ground is important imo and applying that knowledge to how and when you hunt a spot I think ups the odds for you.

There are very few absolutes in deer hunting. I know what works for me but there are lots of folks that kill lots of deer hunting entirely different than I do. You gotta figure out what works for you. I feel like I am pretty good bowhunter for killing deer and feel like I am getting better at killing good deer but I know several guys way better than me at setting up to consistently kill big deer. They see things in the woods I dont see. Hunting big deer is an entiely different ballgame than just filling the freezer and maybe killin a nice buck a year. When I feel like I am accomplished at that I'll do a thread on it but it may be a few years.

Tick Hog

Thanks JBRUCE and i appreciate the info Sultanofswine. One day I hope to really get into hunting deer enough that i pay attention to things such as barometric pressure. I guess I'm what you call a chance hunter. The one that has a permanent stand with a corn feeder that stays in the same place year round. The stand that i go sit on for two weekends a year for the chance at maybe seeing something big.

While the chance does increase during the rut because the bucks let their guard down a little and are chasing its still not a very good one. I'm 30 years old would say i have been hunting for 20 years and only have a 5 point to show for it. It doesn't help that i hunt 3 hours away from home but someday i do hope to better my approach at earning a good deer.

For now just good times with friends and family and that small chance that something nice happens to step into range.

IronHog

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 11, 2010, 04:38:51 pm

There are very few absolutes in deer hunting. I know what works for me but there are lots of folks that kill lots of deer hunting entirely different than I do. You gotta figure out what works for you. I feel like I am pretty good bowhunter for killing deer and feel like I am getting better at killing good deer but I know several guys way better than me at setting up to consistently kill big deer. They see things in the woods I dont see. Hunting big deer is an entiely different ballgame than just filling the freezer and maybe killin a nice buck a year. When I feel like I am accomplished at that I'll do a thread on it but it may be a few years.

The biggest factor in killing "good" bucks is hunting areas with good bucks and acceptable buck/doe ratios.

There is a reason you don't see the "pro" hunters flocking to Monticello, Arkansas.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: tick hog on November 11, 2010, 05:54:51 pm
Thanks JBRUCE and i appreciate the info Sultanofswine. One day I hope to really get into hunting deer enough that i pay attention to things such as barometric pressure. I guess I'm what you call a chance hunter. The one that has a permanent stand with a corn feeder that stays in the same place year round. The stand that i go sit on for two weekends a year for the chance at maybe seeing something big.

While the chance does increase during the rut because the bucks let their guard down a little and are chasing its still not a very good one. I'm 30 years old would say i have been hunting for 20 years and only have a 5 point to show for it. It doesn't help that i hunt 3 hours away from home but someday i do hope to better my approach at earning a good deer.

For now just good times with friends and family and that small chance that something nice happens to step into range.

I don't kill big deer either.  I've killed mature bucks, but they just didn't have the headgear.  It is the nature of where I hunt most of the time. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Went out to put out corn for my baiting experiment last night and saw 0 deer.  To me that means that there is good chance that the peak breeding has started as we have been seeing seek and chasing activity for 10 days or more.  Scrapes are also going cold.  Good sign opening day will be slow.

HogBreath

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 11, 2010, 04:38:51 pm
Generally speaking the rut is triggered by the length of daylight. But there are lots of other factors that influence rut activity such as weather patterns, temps and location. Researchers havent figured it all out yet and may never.

For example in parts of florida the rut will peak in August. Go figure that one out. For the area of the state I hunt most of the time, the breeding peak is pretty consistently between Nov 30 and Dec 5th. That said I have been seeing rut activity since the second weekend in Oct with bucks bumping and chasing doe's around. However the scrapes are just now starting to show a little.

Why folks attribute rut activity to cold weather,I think, is because daytime activity will increase with cold clear days and a rising barometer. That doesnt mean that deer arent showing rut signs in warmer weather, just a good bit of it is done at night when temps are better.

Atleast in my experience and based on information for my specific area, the rut timing is pretty consistent year after year. The variable is how much of that activity will be daytime movement. That is where things like weather patterns, temps, mast crops, hunting pressure, etc will have varying levels of impact on your specific area.

If I had to pick 2 things that will have the most impact I would say pressure and weather patterns(fronts). Fronts cause changes in the barometric pressure and daytime movement is usually better on a moving barometer and for me a rising one has been better. We cant control that but can pay attention to it. Pressure is the other thing and the one we can have some degree of control over, esp if you have private ground to hunt. I think lots of folks burn up ther best stands before they should be in them. Understanding how the deer use a piece of ground is important imo and applying that knowledge to how and when you hunt a spot I think ups the odds for you.

You've said enough to tell me you know what you're talking about, which I really kinda already knew.

But yeah, like you said, it's the length of the day, the amount of daylight, which is most closely responsible for setting the rut off.  Something called photoperiodism or something like that, and like you said, multiple other factors influence things. 

I've found hot scrapes, freshly pee'd in on Christmas day before.  I got one scrape right now, where he broke the licking branch almost 7 feet off the ground.  Is that significant in any way, or did he just rear up on his hind legs?

Normally in SW Arkansas where I hunt, you can pretty well count on it getting real good around the 11th-13th of November, but I think I had a hot doe on the lease 2 Saturdays ago.  I saw a really good buck chasing that day(Oct. 31st), but it wasn't with the frantic purpose I've seen other times.

I'll be there, Good Lord willing, this weekend and part of next week, and I feel like we have 3-4 real good bucks I may get a pop at, and many smaller legal bucks, I got one real weird rack dude I may take if I get a chance.

The good times are almost here!!!!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

IronHog

Quote from: HogBreath on November 11, 2010, 08:29:59 pm

I've found hot scrapes, freshly pee'd in on Christmas day before. 

Bucks will open scrapes back up after the peak breeding. 

Some does are missed, some didn't take, and late yearlings will come in late.  Bucks will open scrapes back up after the primary rut to find these late breeding does.

In south Arkansas where the buck doe ratio is often out of wack the rut is long and soft in most areas. 

SultanofSwine

JB, I watched the buck I killed last year make a rub right before I shot him and it was low to the ground. As he was rubbing he would turn his head over sideways and was dropping down to the point his shoulder was almost on the ground. The most aggressive rubbing I have ever seen in person. Of course that was because he was one of three bucks chasing the same hot doe and had just snort wheezed and bluff charged one of the two causing him to back off about 10 yards.

Based on that observation I would say that height  of a rub isnt always a true indicator either, like you said. As a general rule though I think the height and size of rubs and if you can find good visible tracks will give a decent idea.

IronHog

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 12, 2010, 12:48:10 pm
JB, I watched the buck I killed last year make a rub right before I shot him and it was low to the ground. As he was rubbing he would turn his head over sideways and was dropping down to the point his shoulder was almost on the ground. The most aggressive rubbing I have ever seen in person. Of course that was because he was one of three bucks chasing the same hot doe and had just snort wheezed and bluff charged one of the two causing him to back off about 10 yards.

Based on that observation I would say that height  of a rub isnt always a true indicator either, like you said. As a general rule though I think the height and size of rubs and if you can find good visible tracks will give a decent idea.

Wish the bucks still rubbed here.

Going to pour out some more corn............

clutch

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 12, 2010, 12:48:10 pm

I agree that height isn't always a good indicator, but I do think if you find one high on a tree that you have found a good deer. Usually it takes a pretty big deer to get up high. They will still make them low and all the way down to the ground though, so don't just consider it a small buck rub if it is low to the ground. I found a tree that had a lot of low branches in it and found a rub about 5 1/2 feet off the ground. He had just trashed the low hanging branches to get to the tree. I'm pretty sure he was a good one, hopefully I will find out soon. Would have loved to see him go at that tree, looked like he went at it ferociously.

cbhawg03

Wilth all the rain moving thru, where would you hunt in the morning?  Yes I know that most places maybe different, but what is the opinion out there?  Taking into consideration that bucks could be chasing, do you sit over travel areas or over the food?  Any suggestions be helpful!

Hawgon

I'm not sure what the deal is.  I saw a small buck chasing a doe a few weeks ago.  But, I'm seeing lots of deer (39 in the first two days) but not many mature bucks.  Usually, if the rut has already passed, I don't see many deer at all for a bit. 

So, I'm thinking either the rut came and went two or three weeks ago, or it really hasn't picked up at all yet.

SultanofSwine

Not going yet where I am but it is starting to pick up a little. Been seeing a little bit of chasing/bumping in the mornings but just now starting to see some breeding scrapes and rubs. Shaping up for the week after Thanksgiving, just like normal.

IronHog

Quote from: Hawgon on November 15, 2010, 11:32:20 am
I'm not sure what the deal is.  I saw a small buck chasing a doe a few weeks ago.  But, I'm seeing lots of deer (39 in the first two days) but not many mature bucks.  Usually, if the rut has already passed, I don't see many deer at all for a bit. 

So, I'm thinking either the rut came and went two or three weeks ago, or it really hasn't picked up at all yet.

Lockdown?

peek breeding is a horrible time to hunt.  All the mature deer are paired up breeding and you'll see very few mature does or bucks. (not that I ever see a buck over 3 anyway.......)

IronHog

Rut is right on schedule here......scrapes are going cold and the chasing is tailing off as the breeding starts.

The two days after thanksgiving might be the time to be on a highline when Bucks go crazy trying to find one more doe after breeding for 10 days solid............

clutch

Just starting to see some light chasing around here. The bucks have been cruisin around lookin for does, but aren't really on them hard yet. Should get nasty here pretty soon.

Hawgon

Quote from: IronHog on November 15, 2010, 08:15:14 pm

Lockdown?

peek breeding is a horrible time to hunt.  All the mature deer are paired up breeding and you'll see very few mature does or bucks. (not that I ever see a buck over 3 anyway.......)

On lockdown, I usually never see ANYTHING.  I'm seeing lots of deer.

IronHog

Slept in this morning.

Just saw a six point cruise behind the shop up on his feet.

clutch

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2010, 09:18:41 am
Slept in this morning.

Just saw a six point cruise behind the shop up on his feet.

I slept in too. Didn't mean too though. The last few times it has rained I have been seeing bucks. Seems like every time the rain would slack up for just a second a buck would walk out. Probably going to go tough out the weather this afternoon.

IronHog

Quote from: clutch on November 16, 2010, 12:04:13 pm
I slept in too. Didn't mean too though. The last few times it has rained I have been seeing bucks. Seems like every time the rain would slack up for just a second a buck would walk out. Probably going to go tough out the weather this afternoon.

I think it is funny how the rut can be in completely different phases just short distances apart.

Some people I talked to this morning saw tons of deer including bucks up seeking does.

Others saw nothing like it was lockdown.......just 20 minutes away.

I'm sure buck/doe ratio and other factors have an influence, but if one guy sees 25 and the other guy sees nothing then you know something is going on.

cbhawg03

Where do you guys think the rut is now? jw.

HogBreath

Quote from: cabolbrooks on December 01, 2010, 06:19:26 pm
Pretty much over.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

IronHog

Quote from: cabolbrooks on December 01, 2010, 06:19:26 pm

Lockdown around here normally ends a few days before to a few days after Thanksgiving weekend.

1st week in December can be a great time to catch a mature deer on his feet or trailing a doe as the peek breeding winds down............

hogfan56

I am going to try Saturday morning. Hope I see one mess up and I get a good one. I killed a good 9 pt earlier this year but haven't seen any wall hangers yet except on camera. They got me stumped this year.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogfan56 on December 02, 2010, 09:40:29 am
I am going to try Saturday morning. Hope I see one mess up and I get a good one. I killed a good 9 pt earlier this year but haven't seen any wall hangers yet except on camera. They got me stumped this year.
It's been a pretty slow season for me as well, other than it seems to have went by awfully fast.  Last year we had rain out the wazoo, and our bottom lands were flooded and pretty much unhuntable, I moved most of my stands to higher ground, this year has been dry as a bone, and those same bottoms have been full of magnum sized acorns.  I should have known better.

cbhawg03

For the guys in the know or the guys that will be going hunting over the weekend.  You setting up shop over the food, (foodplots, corn, acorns, etc.) or somewhere else?  just looking for advice! :)

clutch

Quote from: cabolbrooks on December 03, 2010, 09:26:21 am
For the guys in the know or the guys that will be going hunting over the weekend.  You setting up shop over the food, (foodplots, corn, acorns, etc.) or somewhere else?  just looking for advice! :)

I'd still probably try and hunt the does if I was you. I'm not sure if the rut is done where you are hunting yet or not, but hunting a food source is a good place to see the does. May be a buck trailing one of them.

gotyacovered

December 03, 2010, 12:22:03 pm #29 Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:24:27 pm by gotyacovered
I agree... I am hunting a food plot and hve seen a really nice deer twice this week. He was cruising... there were no doe in the food plot at the time
You are what you tolerate.

k1972hogfan

I am seeing more deer in the fields then in the woods at this time. I have a stand that over looks a big field and I am going to start using it.

gotyacovered

Quote from: k1972hogfan on December 07, 2010, 06:56:39 pm
I am seeing more deer in the fields then in the woods at this time. I have a stand that over looks a big field and I am going to start using it.

ya, they are def hitting fields/food plots

PintailKiller

I have not seen any bucks on does in the Hampton area.  Did notice last weekend some new rubs though.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

IronHog

All reports I'm getting here is deer movement is extremely slow.

Common post rut, but more than most years.

gotyacovered

seems to me this year has been slow in all phases, pre-rut, rut and post rut. i havent killed a deer yet, and its not b/c of lack of hunting. if i carried a rifle, i would have had a nice chance at a really good buck, but other than that... about it. goin this evening, hope's are high