Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Overly Optimistic Razorback Sports Media Only Setting up Fans

Started by Robert Shields, August 11, 2014, 10:39:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on August 11, 2014, 11:45:39 am
A distinction needs to be made between the beat writers and the pundits in the media.

Beat writers give you the nuts and bolts and tell you who said what. If their coverage is "positive" it's because the players and coaches are saying upbeat things.

I'd submit every beat writer for every team in every sport in the nation sprains his eyelids from rolling them at the positivity exuding from their sources. But their job isn't to say "Yeah, Bret, that's nice but you know Bama is going to pound your skull in, right?" or "Jason, you think you can win a Super Bowl with Romo!?! Are you high?"

Good reminder.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

DOGALUM

Who the hell is Robert Shields?

And why the hell is he still on this site?

It's painfully obvious that Shields called in to Bo's show.....but made the mistake of saying he was Robert Shields.....so he got cut off.   

I'm not a big Bo lover or hater.  The guy has a job....and has some info from time to time.    But Shields......good gracious.......
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

seasonhog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on August 11, 2014, 12:02:59 pm
Season, my friend, please list the true facts in the article.  I know you agree with the opinion.  There is a difference.  Not calling you out, but Robert is not a reporter of facts but an entertainer with an opinion.

Tom, you are one of the level headed posters on HV..........but don't you think there has been a little to much fluff lately....?

Shorttimer

With practices closed and no new information forthcoming until an actual game occurs, all anybody in the media has to report is what is being stated by coaches and players.  Coaches and players are only going to say positive things at this point in the preseason, except for the occasional soundbite formulated by coaches to motivate a player. 

Consequently, what Shields is asking the media to do is inject counterbalancing negative information into their reports at a point in the preseason where none exists.  That is no more objective than sifting through the available information and reporting only what is deemed to be positive. 

Once the season starts, there will be enough negative out there to make Mr. Shields happy.  For now, negativity (or as many of you would say "objectivity") is limited to opinion writers, editorialists and blog posters, of which Mr. Shields is undoubtedly the latter. 

RollHogTide

Season, my friend, please list the true facts in the article.  I know you agree with the opinion.  There is a difference.  Not calling you out, but Robert is not a reporter of facts but an entertainer with an opinion.

I completely agree with everything you said, but if we take such a black and white stance on all musings that are written about the Razorbacks improvement or lack of improvement - then most would fall into entertaining.  Short of post-game statistics, which are nothing more than statistics and drive information - it is impossible for a writer to not inject his personal opinion.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: seasonhog on August 11, 2014, 12:15:58 pm

Tom, you are one of the level headed posters on HV..........but don't you think there has been a little to much fluff lately....?

Strictly my opinion, it depends on who you talk to.  Those who do it for entertainment are either too positive or too negative (Finebaum).  I have seen what I take to be improvement but I think there was a great deal of improvement to be made.

There is always fluff in August. I remember how Ryan, Tyler et al were going to whip Bama and make them like it.  BUT after August comes the reality of September. 
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: RollHogTide on August 11, 2014, 12:20:02 pm
I completely agree with everything you said, but if we take such a black and white stance on all musings that are written about the Razorbacks improvement or lack of improvement - then most would fall into entertaining.  Short of post-game statistics, which are nothing more than statistics and drive information - it is impossible for a writer to not inject his personal opinion.

That is the difference between journalism and entertainment. 
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Shorttimer on August 11, 2014, 12:17:04 pm
With practices closed and no new information forthcoming until an actual game occurs, all anybody in the media has to report is what is being stated by coaches and players.  Coaches and players are only going to say positive things at this point in the preseason, except for the occasional soundbite formulated by coaches to motivate a player. 

Consequently, what Shields is asking the media to do is inject counterbalancing negative information into their reports at a point in the preseason where none exists.  That is no more objective than sifting through the available information and reporting only what is deemed to be positive. 

Once the season starts, there will be enough negative out there to make Mr. Shields happy.  For now, negativity (or as many of you would say "objectivity") is limited to opinion writers, editorialists and blog posters, of which Mr. Shields is undoubtedly the latter. 

Just who is doing all this positive information without the negative?

Robert Shields

A distinction needs to be made between the beat writers and the pundits in the media.

Beat writers give you the nuts and bolts and tell you who said what. If their coverage is "positive" it's because the players and coaches are saying upbeat things.

I'd submit every beat writer for every team in every sport in the nation sprains his eyelids from rolling them at the positivity exuding from their sources. But their job isn't to say "Yeah, Bret, that's nice but you know Bama is going to pound your skull in, right?" or "Jason, you think you can win a Super Bowl with Romo!?! Are you high?"

I agree and I probably painted with a very broad brush.

MJ2

Peter Porker

No need to read the long version OP. Here's the short version::

I don't like the coach so I'm going to complain that there's too much positive talk going on.

All the ones that don't like Bielema will +1 the OP.

End of thread.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

The NewEra

Quote from: Robert Shields on August 11, 2014, 10:39:31 am
Overly Optimistic Razorback Sports Media Only Setting Fans Up for Disappointment

Robert Shields

Northwest Arkansas radio talk-show host Bo Mattingly recently received an email from a listener who questioned why he and other Razorback media types constantly defended and "bowed down" to Razorback football coach Bret Bielema.

Mattingly's long response was that he gives you a perspective that you may not be aware of to help you be more informed.

But the real answer is that there is no money to be made for Mattingly and the rest of the Incestuous Razorback Press Clique to be negative toward your team. They are going to sell you, I mean tell you, what you want to hear. There is no economic incentive for them to be negative.

The media that covers the Razorbacks wants you to be excited and interested in the upcoming season because that makes you listen, watch, or read their product, which in turn allows them to sell more Slim Chickens ads.

If the Razorback media was objective, which is often labeled by some fans as "negative," it would turn many people off of their news product and go looking for someone who will tell them what they want to hear instead.

In his answer to the email, Mattingly said what the Razorback media is doing is making you more informed. The fact that these media people claim to have such insight is especially amazing considering that UA football practices are closed and the Razorback media members are essentially told by the athletic department staff what to report to the public.

As you hear all the optimistic talk in this preseason, please remember that this is from the same media that didn't question the hiring of John L. Smith and led you to believe the approaching season without Bobby Petrino was going to be just fine.

So you get the same at the beginning of every season with the coaches talking about players in superlative terms and that information regurgitated to you by your Razorback media.

Take, for example, the segment on Mattingly's show where Clay Henry, the publisher of Hawgs Illustrated, arrives to give his post-practice report. This is where you hear about players getting stronger and faster as you do every year, which is good because you don't want to hear about them getting weaker and slower.

This information that the players are getting better would matter if it was relative to what other teams were doing. If they actually knew the Razorback players were getting bigger, faster, and stronger than say Georgia, it matters a lot.

The reality is that the players at Texas A&M, Alabama, Mississippi State, LSU, Ole Miss, and Missouri have also gotten faster and stronger in the offseason.

You have probably heard that the offensive line ran the hill on Cleveland Street in Fayetteville during the offseason, which we are told is proof positive that they are ready. Or are they? Could Auburn's offensive line and defensive line run that same hill? It's a feel-good story during this period while we wall wait for the kickoff of the first game.

It's a story that makes you feel positive about the team's chances in the upcoming season – and want to consume more news about it from radio talk shows, television sportscasts, newspaper sports sections, and Razorback specialty magazines.

From Clay Henry you hear the positive story of Martrell Spaight taking yoga. Like that is going to matter much when they play Auburn. But who knows maybe it is DDP yoga and will make a difference.

Regardless, it's the kind of information they push to you so Mattingly and the rest of the Incestuous Razorback Press can "inform" you so that you are more enlightened and see a different perspective than the national predictions.

I get wanting to be positive after the last two horrendous seasons.

I get wanting hope after losing nine in a row, a Razorback record.

I get not wanting to hear all the negatives about this team when they are easy to find.

You want to have belief in your team. And that is what they are giving you when they tell you the players are saying the right things and that the attitude on the team is different than last year.

But when a fan calls your Incestuous Razorback Press Clique out in an email to a radio show, they need to own it.

They are what they are and that is to make money off of you by pumping up a football program that is considered the worst in the SEC in the preseason.

And setting such high expectations for this football team is doing it no favors -- and maybe setting the fans up for another big letdown. But here's to hoping the team goes from worst to first.

Send your hopes to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Robert, I'm having to assume you are saying that you are the only voice of reason and this weekly hate fest you have with all things Razorback is so that you can help protect us from the Big Bad Wolves of Media, Entertainment and ourselves?

Heaven forbid I get my hopes up to only be let down.  I'm not sure I can survive that. 

While we are at it, let's just give every team in college a trophy at the end of the year so that no football fans anywhere on the planet have their feelings hurt when their team doesn't meet their heightened expectations.

seasonhog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on August 11, 2014, 12:21:59 pm
Strictly my opinion, it depends on who you talk to.  Those who do it for entertainment are either too positive or too negative (Finebaum).  I have seen what I take to be improvement but I think there was a great deal of improvement to be made.

There is always fluff in August. I remember how Ryan, Tyler et al were going to whip Bama and make them like it.  BUT after August comes the reality of September.

good post, Tom.........

I have been a hog fan for so long......and i have been on the top step of the ladder for many seasons to start......but when we fall.......it hurt.

We will be improve this season.......but remember the top step.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on August 11, 2014, 11:30:21 am
Dwight, just where does this happen? 

It happens where a team isn't the only game in town.  So for instance a newspaper like the Orlando Sentinel that covers multiple pro and college teams can be more objective and/or critical. 

I agree with Faldon, that distinctions between radio shows, newspapers needs to be recognized.  But Shields was calling Bo out for saying he is trying to inform.  Don't say your are trying to inform but then just be a mouthpiece.  Instead just be a mouthpiece.

Back to newspapers.  Yes the beat writers have a job to just report, and I think the ADG is fine that way.  Bob Holt has been recognized for his ability to ask a series of questions until he gets his answer.

Where the fourth estate for sports in this state fails is in timely critical opinion.  Call a spade a spade when it is a spade not six months after the spade left. 

Case in point.  All we heard about last year was that recruiting in the back half of the Petrino era was horrible and Bielema was paying the price.  That's fine and I believe it's true but if Petrino's recruiting was really that bad that last year or two why not call it out at the time and say look this is subpar recruiting.  The man that tells it like it is wasn't telling it like it is, he waited and told it like it was once it was too late to suffer any consequences for telling the truth and when actually stating that opinion when he did could arguably help the current staff.

Wally will never call out a sitting coach.  But if Wally ever writes that the coach farted in public the coach will be gone, not because Wally shed some light on the terrible job the coach was doing or that his staff uncovered some misdeed but because someone at the UofA told Wally the coach was gone.  Same was true during Nutt's tenure when the ADG could have easily uncovered a lot of dirt inside the program, but it was only after a private citizen took the time and effort to FOIA records and uncovered the "texts" that media outlets got involved, but they were a little late to the party. 

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

rhog1

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on August 11, 2014, 11:30:21 am
Dwight, just where does this happen? 
I am with you. I haven't seen media members being overly optimistic this year.  I would love to read some of these glowingly positive articles.

Dr. Starcs

The media calls out fans all the time. I'm glad to see somebody call out media members when they deserve it.

Enjoyed the article. (And I don't think I've ever said that).

The NewEra

One other thing Mr. Shields......You don't have any problem with the one sided negativity that we have been reading and listening to about the football program for the past eight months?  Since you didn't write a story about that I'll have to assume you think that criticism is well placed.  You are about as far away from being a fan of the Razorback program as anyone who post on here, and that's saying something.

Shorttimer

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on August 11, 2014, 12:24:38 pm
Just who is doing all this positive information without the negative?
Reporters are only reporting what they hear and see at this point.  With practices closed, that is basically limited to what coaches and players are saying.  That, by nature, is mostly positive.  I have heard little negative reporting.  I have heard a significant amount of negative editorial comment, even among Arkansas media types.

What Shields and his ilk want is negative editorial to counteract positive information.  For example, any report that the DBs are faster and bigger than last year (statement of fact) needs to be counterbalanced by the opinion that such physical improvements are likely not enough to overcome the passive defensive scheme (opinion). 

WayneHawg

Is it to much to ask of a fan to get excited about the team leading up to the start of the season ! I get excited for the next game as soon as the last one ended ! Go Hogs

razorsharptusk

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 11, 2014, 11:22:55 am
So just because a couple of guys on radio talk up the potential for the Hogs this season the "Overly Optimistic Razorback Sports Media" is setting everyone up for a hard fall/disappointment?! Well for someone who tries to read or listen to any varying degree of media sources that's sure news to me!!!! The overwhelming viewpoint/forecasts that I've read/heard/seen are very much the opposite. The consensus seem to be that this year's team will likely do not much than duplicate last year's futility. Certainly there will always be some "homers" who're going to be unrealistic; however, for the most part I think the majority of folks (including the press) are guarded in their outlook. Most, like me, recognize that there are a HUGE #s of unknowns and uncertainties to really get our hopes too "pie in the sky". This time of the year fills virtually every fan base across the country with hope and optimism about their prospects for the year. For the majority of fans that's what keeps them coming back even in the face of past disappointments.

So color me a fan who, while certainly NOT trying to get too giddy about our prospects, still expects SOME improvement not only in the overall record, but the play of the entire team. One thing I am very certain (hopeful) of: we WON'T go "o-for" in the conference again this season.

Well put.
GO HOGS!!

Rey Pygsterio

There are very few actual PRINT beat writers covering the Razorbacks in relation to all the rest of the media covering the Razorbacks.

Bob Holt is great, and Tom Murphy has seemed to cover the program equally as well. But while serving as objective reporters, they have also been guilty of omission at times for whatever pressures they faced from the UA or their newspaper.

The younger guys who have worked for the NWA papers in past years have frequently got caught up in the race to be biggest insider and often swerved into the fan zone. Go to media day and these guys at times looked more like they were trying to get autographs than a story.

But the TV reporters (hard term for a print guy to fathom), especially once again the NWA guys, have mostly served as flacks for the UA over the years.

In talk radio, virtually the only guy who I've heard consistently tell it like it is without giving a #### is Chad Hooten. When everyone was saying Danny Ford would get it done, Hooten was saying he was a disaster. He was right and even though he seems like somewhat of an ass I have always respected him for that.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

ricepig

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on August 11, 2014, 12:53:32 pm
There are very few actual PRINT beat writers covering the Razorbacks in relation to all the rest of the media covering the Razorbacks.

Bob Holt is great, and Tom Murphy has seemed to cover the program equally as well. But while serving as objective reporters, they have also been guilty of omission at times for whatever pressures they faced from the UA or their newspaper.

The younger guys who have worked for the NWA papers in past years have frequently got caught up in the race to be biggest insider and often swerved into the fan zone. Go to media day and these guys at times looked more like they were trying to get autographs than a story.

But the TV reporters (hard term for a print guy to fathom), especially once again the NWA guys, have mostly served as flacks for the UA over the years.

In talk radio, virtually the only guy who I've heard consistently tell it like it is without giving a #### is Chad Hooten. When everyone was saying Danny Ford would get it done, Hooten was saying he was a disaster. He was right and even though he seems like somewhat of an ass I have always respected him for that.

Nothing is stopping you from starting your own newspaper and writing columns as you wish, I'm sure Stephens would sell you one.

Danny J

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 11, 2014, 11:00:08 am
100% accurate
Agreed.....

Well....as it pertains to Bo and Clay. Even my father called me a couple weeks ago after watching Bo's show and asked if I felt like Bo was trying to sell me on BB. He knows I DVR the show every day and try to watch it when I get home from work. Since around the first of February I told my father he has been on that kick.

It is OK IMO to be positive. I think the problem I have is similar to the OP's feelings in that I feel I like I am getting a hard sell from somebody who admittedly is not seeing practices every day. Who also admittedly was un-impressed by our D line and DC hire this past season offseason.

Sed76

Only time I've ever been upset at the media for contributing to the expectations was the 2012 season. I remember channel 4 and 7 in Little Rock doing specials talking about how the Hogs were going to contend for championships. Don't remember hearing anyone before the season tell us that it was a unorganized mess and to prepare for disappointment.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Timely example
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Atlhogfan1

Hooten wasn't totally right.  That "disaster" is the last coach to build any kind of foundation which could have been built upon. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Sed76 on August 11, 2014, 01:09:08 pm
Only time I've ever been upset at the media for contributing to the expectations was the 2012 season. I remember channel 4 and 7 in Little Rock doing specials talking about how the Hogs were going to contend for championships. Don't remember hearing anyone before the season tell us that it was a unorganized mess and to prepare for disappointment.

Well where they failed was ignoring what had been lost from the 2010 and 11 teams and failing to consider it was going to have an impact. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Seebs

The media 'spoke' during media days and again listed us as last in the West, same as last year, and they were correct.

Anything better than that is better than expectations set forth by the media.

Radio shows have four hours to fill - so whatever drives that, whether it showing a positive slant, a negative one, allowing callers with questionable sobriety or callers that simply incite hatred, it is all good - it keep the station on and is not news - ever. It is conjecture and opinion. 

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Inhogswetrust

Perhaps your opinion of him may have been different during the Ford years if he had been proven to not be correct about Ford if Ford had succeeded here. There is always someone that will go against the grain and then IF they are right people will say they were a genius when they may have simply been lucky. Judging by your prior posts over time I think you believe you are a smart contrarian. Sometimes contrarians are wrong and sometimes right. That doesn't necessarily make them smart or respected.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NaturalStateReb

The problem with the media isn't that it's all sunshine, or that there's a grand conspiracy.  After all, Arkansas players probably are faster and stronger now than they were earlier.

The problem is the utter lack of context.

You never hear from the Arkansas sports media where Arkansas is in relation to the rest of the SEC.  Sure, they're faster and stronger than they were.  But how fast or strong are they in comparison with LSU?  Or Bama?  Or Tennessee?  You don't get that part of the story, and that leads to faulty analysis.  This isn't limited to just practice reports.  When you hear about season predictions, you never hear much about what the opponents bring.  It's almost like some of these guys just think it'll only be Arkansas out there deciding things.

I think part of this stems from years in the SWC, but I think it has more to do with the general lack of journalistic competition.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Vantage 8 dude

Tom, I think you're WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too generous in describing RS as an "entertainer". Not sure exactly what I call him but it sure as heck wouldn't be THAT!!

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: Seebs on August 11, 2014, 01:21:31 pm
The media 'spoke' during media days and again listed us as last in the West, same as last year, and they were correct.

We are talking Arkansas media here, and I've yet to hear one of them predict last in the West.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Sed76 on August 11, 2014, 01:09:08 pm

You probably won't ever hear that, and maybe we shouldn't.  These are still college kids, after all.  There's a way to honestly report while being tactful.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Rey Pygsterio

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The NewEra on August 11, 2014, 12:38:35 pm
One other thing Mr. Shields......You don't have any problem with the one sided negativity that we have been reading and listening to about the football program for the past eight months?  Since you didn't write a story about that I'll have to assume you think that criticism is well placed.  You are about as far away from being a fan of the Razorback program as anyone who post on here, and that's saying something.
Good point. I'm honestly not sure that Shields could possibly write anything positive about the Hogs. He's as consistently negative and snarky as anyone I've ever read anywhere about anything. To him it doesn't matter whether it's about the team, the great "Coke versus Pepsi" stadium debate tirade (a true classic that one) of several years back, or whether or not building projects on campus should be undertaken you can bet he won't agree or be happy about ANYTHING being done or contemplated on the Hill.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

rljjr

NaturalStateReb

Mike Irwin

Complete speculation on Shields' part. He's talking about people he does not know and he's not around them when they do their jobs.

Go read my story posted in this forum on the bad day the offense had the first day in pads. That's not going to help sell season tickets. Yet Jim Chaney brought it up and if he hadn't we would not have known because that practice was closed.

I will point out what I've pointed out many times here, this staff does not dodge tough questions and they do get asked tough questions. I spent 30 minutes with Chaney on Media Day. I asked him several questions straight from fans posting on this forum. In the Razorback Nation's pre-season special I will air his answers to those questions. Not one of them did he refuse to answer and again THEY WERE NOT MY QUESTIONS. THEY CAME FROM THIS FORUM.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 11, 2014, 02:13:38 pm
Complete speculation on Shields' part. He's talking about people he does not know and he's not around them when they do their jobs.

Go read my story posted in this forum on the bad day the offense had the first day in pads. That's not going to help sell season tickets. Yet Jim Chaney brought it up and if he hadn't we would not have known because that practice was closed.

I will point out what I've pointed out many times here, this staff does not dodge tough questions and they do get asked tough questions. I spent 30 minutes with Chaney on Media Day. I asked him several questions straight from fans posting on this forum. In the Razorback Nation's pre-season special I will air his answers to those questions. Not one of them did he refuse to answer and again THEY WERE NOT MY QUESTIONS. THEY CAME FROM THIS FORUM.

I don't believe he is so much directing it those who operate like professional journalists.  He is directing it those who have made a career off of Arkansas fans and the program. 

SuperHog32

Shields is a Clay Travis type troll.  he thrives on stirring the pot.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 11, 2014, 01:27:19 pm
Tom, I think you're WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too generous in describing RS as an "entertainer". Not sure exactly what I call him but it sure as heck wouldn't be THAT!!
>:(

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 11, 2014, 02:19:09 pm
I don't believe he is so much directing it those who operate like professional journalists.  He is directing it those who have made a career off of Arkansas fans and the program.
Everybody makes a career off something. If you ride on the back of a trash truck you need people to generate trash or you're out of work.

This is a tired complaint. The media doesn't tell us the truth. Waaahhh.

First of all football is not math equation than can be proven right or wrong before the season is played. We take the information we have and put it out there. Yes, we speculate. If the team ends up sucking that doesn't mean we intentionally tried to mislead the fans.

I think this team will win more than three games this season. Five or six is likely in my mind. If they win two did I intentionally mislead the fans so I could make more money?

What if they win 8 games. Did I intentionally lowball the team so I could be cool by being  negative?

Come on.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on August 11, 2014, 01:28:38 pm
We are talking Arkansas media here, and I've yet to hear one of them predict last in the West.

Here is one:

1. Alabama. The defense will catch-up with Auburn's hurry-up and whoever wins out at quarterback will be battle tested by November when the Crimson Tide plays both LSU and Auburn.

2. LSU. A slightly out-on-a-limb pick. Defense, plus the Tigers have an advantage over Auburn because their Eastern Division opponents are Kentucky and Florida vs. Georgia and South Carolina for Auburn.

3. Auburn. See above.

4. (tie) Mississippi State and Ole Miss. For bragging rights, the Rebels get the nod in Oxford on Thanksgiving weekend.

6. (tie) Arkansas and A&M. The Aggies make a bowl because of a 4-0 non-conference record and the Razorbacks fall short because of a loss at Texas Tech.

http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/harry-king/king-sec-rankings-home

LZH

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on August 11, 2014, 02:52:56 pm

Ha!  I can't watch that one enough.  I watched some more Russian fails last nite...those people should be denied the use of any machinery whatsoever.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 11, 2014, 02:32:59 pm
Everybody makes a career off something. If you ride on the back of a trash truck you need people to generate trash or you're out of work.

This is a tired complaint. The media doesn't tell us the truth. Waaahhh.

First of all football is not math equation than can be proven right or wrong before the season is played. We take the information we have and put it out there. Yes, we speculate. If the team ends up sucking that doesn't mean we intentionally tried to mislead the fans.

I think this team will win more than three games this season. Five or six is likely in my mind. If they win two did I intentionally mislead the fans so I could make more money?

What if they win 8 games. Did I intentionally lowball the team so I could be cool by being  negative?

Come on.

Are you ranting or directing this to me? 

You report what you know to be the truth.  I read or listen to you and believe you are relating what you believe to be the facts.  And when you give an opinion, I believe it to be based on what you believe to be true.  At that point, it is an editorial opinion. 

I do not believe people like Henry, Dudley, Otis, etc tell the truth and will never trust them to do so.  Henry and his minions like Dudley create stories they believe will be best for Henry's business or Otis his website and take a slant they know will best suit that.  They are not reporters.  They may not lie as much as not report all of the facts or what they know.  Bo may go down a road he really doesn't believe in if it creates more interest in his show.  Not saying he would lie.  But pose questions or thoughts in a way to promote discussion which may not necessarily be based on his own opinion or facts.  You have to understand these people are entertainers.

As far as the Arkansas media, Bob Holt, Nate, Harry, I don't believe in the least they lie.  I don't think they are very good at what they do.  I think Bob is an annoyance for one to his subjects.  But besides that, I believe he and Harry to be naïve and unable to find or report the truth.  I don't think they sugarcoat or lie to sell papers or subscriptions.  The tv media is more entertainment related.  Sound bytes or short video unless it is a devoted show to Hog sports.  Its good for business for those to be positive and entertaining in addition to containing some news.  Expecting harsh reality is expecting a little much. 

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.